Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 2: "Hard Chase"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Yeh! Alto got a girl in the cockpit! (Positive)
    • Meh (neutral/No opinion)
    • I can get a girl in my cockpit better (Negative)

I wonder if the pilots have to press a button so that the X-gear doesn't engage the Umbilical Chord. Wouldn't it be funny to see one of the Valk pilots after a hard day's sortie get out of the fighter and forgets to press the button and gets yanked back into the plane :D LOL

Automatic control, I guess.

but I really really love the detail of how Alto's is using the VF, if you notice carefully, when he's grabbing Ranka on gerwalk, he's carefully touching 4 buttons on the joystick that most likely control each finger... SWEET!!

They had this in DYRL as well when Hikaru rescued Minmay.

and how the hell did Sheryl's earing end up with Guilliam belongings?

Well it came off when Alto was catching/holding Sheryl and probably got stuck somewhere. It then fell off when he piloted the VF-25 and the SMS guys went through the cockpit and assumed it was his. At least this is how I think it happened.

Just watched the raw; even without understanding the dialogue, I still definitely loved it, and can't wait for more. Frankly I'm still just pretty excited about the fact that we're in the middle of the broadcasting of a new Macross series.

Thought it was a nice touch hearing a Fire Bomber song on the radio..... although it seems like it would be a natural for them to play "New Frontier" at some point.

One of the worst bits of animation from episode # 2 must be how Gilliam's pistol is drawn the second time we see it.

Compare these two screen captures of the pistol. The first time we see it together with Gilliam's helmet and other possessions, it is nicely drawn, with lots of detail. Sort of looks like a cross between a HK USP and a Walther P99.

But in the second screen capture from just after Ozma has slugged Alto, it looks like a 5 year old's attempt at drawing a pistol.

Overall, apart from this one gaffe, I'm generally very happy with the standard of the animation in this series so far.

Graham

post-11-1207993559_thumb.png

post-11-1207993637_thumb.png

Wow.. no subs needed, that was awesome, the falling up part especially.. I expected him to catch her yes, but wow, still much more intense than I expected. I had to pry my hands off my desk after seeing that part. :)

K, about the singing.. in Zero, Sara was actually able to make things happen by singing (who could forget the naked with floating rocks scene?), and I think it even triggered that flying rock thing they got on. The aphos definitely responded to her voice at various points. So, here's a funny thought.. is that voice like a source of power?

We can't really say that the aphos blood is the controlling factor here, since for all we know, Ranka has no relation to it (unless by some awkward coincidence zentraedi blood turns out to be the same thing, or she's a distant relative of Sheryl's :p). So that basically leaves spiritia as the source, or some form of it. I hope they take a more scientific approach this time if they go that route, but I'm interested to see what they come up with. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the aphos blood is reacting to the sound and generating a type of homing signal.

Now, the blue blood has me confused. Even the aphos had normal looking human blood, hence the transfusion for Mao, which gave her some wacky powers to boot. Seems to me that the protoculture had a good thing going with that blood formula. Why would they change it? Either the vajra were designed differently for a reason (maybe operating in deep space?) or they may pre-date any known pc technology... or they may be something made by someone or something else.

Oh, one last thing... Mikhail's glasses.. they weren't entirely gone in his flight gear.. I don't know if it was some animation glitch, but in several of the frames he only had a lens over his right eye. :blink:

Nice finding on the earring! :o Didn't notice last night.

@grss1982: Most surely a family thing, which will most surely be related to Mao Nome.

And also, very good catch on the detail that Mao was injected with APHOS blood just before its awakening. That could explain why the military are examining blood of those that were close to the Vajra. They suspect the Varja follow some one related to the PC/mayan somehow. I had totally forgotten about it.

So, from this point of view, we have a close relation of the Vajra with both SDFM and M0. Ranka's had 2 encounters with Vajra. Too many for just luck. So, on one, the Varja follow PC remanants, Sheryl being the target here. Ranka seems to be somewhat Zentraedi, so there may also be something there. And the Vajra react to music in general, and particularly to Ranka's feelings? A nice soup for a good twisting story. :)

how do we know that the earring is from mao of macross zero? dunno must've missed that scene...

Now, the blue blood has me confused. Even the aphos had normal looking human blood, hence the transfusion for Mao, which gave her some wacky powers to boot. Seems to me that the protoculture had a good thing going with that blood formula. Why would they change it? Either the vajra were designed differently for a reason (maybe operating in deep space?) or they may pre-date any known pc technology... or they may be something made by someone or something else.

Or. Didn't the Protculture have a civil war? Maybe the Varja are the secessionists. :ph34r:

Mikhael or whatever is spelled had a small visor on his right eye, either way, it's the year 2059, I'm sure the helmet visor can adjust to his eyes refraction... hahahhaa

oh yeah, I'm not liking either how Ozma is drawn...it looks...weird, never been a fan of this flash style anime design

Edited by Valkyrie addict

and how the hell did Sheryl's earing end up with Guilliam belongings?

In the scene where Sheryl is getting dressed while talking on the phone to Cathy Glass, you can see in the concert replay that her earing flies off and hits Alto's right shoulder while he's carrying her. I guess it stayed on him until he got in the VF-25 and they found it there.

EDIT: Oh, and they only show it in the replay. If you check out that scene in Ep1, there's no sign of the earring :lol:

Edited by Wumzi

is it an actual 1080p version or is it blown up 720p? Thanx

The RAW filename is: [Zero-Raws] Macross FRONTIER 02 (D-MBS_1440x1080 16x9 x264-AAC).mp4

So I don't know whether they've actually upscaled it or whether it was actually 1080p. When I play it back, it's 1920x1080 though. I don't know why it's 1440x1080 in the filename.

Edit: Oh, I just read that 1440x1080 are not square pixels but rectangular pixels, so it'll actually come out 16:9... and apparently VLC knows how to do this.

Edited by Kamion

Pluses:

+ Ozma licking his lips because he knows he's going to feast on Red Vajra Steak tonight, much like the heroes from Ayakashi Ayashi

+ Ozma making his car fly off an incline to reach the secret hideout to the tune of Fire Bomber

+ Ozma punching Alto for suggesting that he be allowed to become a typical lead character

Minuses:

- Nanase is obviously only there to get maid fetishists and dojin artists to watch the show.

- Ranka was not reprimanded for being a typical main female character, unlike Alto who was squarely punched in the face for being typical

+ Ozma making his car fly off an incline to reach the secret hideout to the tune of Fire Bomber

I just watched that clip and for a split second it looks like he has manuring thrusters on the car.

Good to see some Hand-to-Hand combat weapons with out the Ti-Chi PPB attacks from Macross Plus....And we got a lil first blood...

Sign of good things to come.

All vehicles in the colony fleet in Macross 7 not only had manuevering jets (not sure on the manuring ones) and were space worthy. It's not a big stretch if the same is true in Macross F.

If memory serves, the cars in DYRL? had some type of grapple system that shot out whenever gravity was lost.