WALL-E

If it's not preachy, then that's fine, but if it's subliminally attempting to persuade people into thinking they are the cause of everything horrible on the planet then I'm not falling for it. No matter how cute and cuddily the wobot is.

I'm not one of those very small amount of people who hear a message saying pick up litter and start cursing at the screen, as I don't care to listen to those messages. I don't watch much TV, if at all.

The environment is already being politicized, but I'm not the one doing it.

I won't degenerate this thread further, but that doesn't mean I can't respond to other people's thoughts on what they saw in the movie.

If you want to clarify some parts of the movie, then I'm all eyes.

Hey hey hey! Don't talk spoilers about the movie without spoiler black bars! I haven't seen it yet!

oh and don't go into the political discussion either. If you do I'm going to have to suspend you or ban you....depending on how much you spoil the movie for me.

Watched it over the weekend finally. Great movie, it's amazing how much expression they managed to pack into EVE and WALL E even though for all practical purposes, they are just blocks, but the expressions that they manage speak volumes about the creativity of Pixar. It's amazing how well Pixar managed to pull that off, because if you look at it objectively, WALL E is not too different from Gumby.

BloodPhoenix, you can take what you will from the movie, but I find that if people go to movies to look for meaning or purpose, then they probably forgot about the reason for why they went to the movie in the first place... which is entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't watch videos at work and I'm impatient to know, so I'll just ask - does the Ultimate WALL-E toy transform? I think the current toys look nice, but I'm holding out for one that transforms, is nicely articulated and detailed and looks good in both modes (even if one mode is just a cube).

This was easily the best movie I've seen so far this year, among many other greats. It's also easily the best sci-fi movie I've seen in the last ten years, maybe more.

You know what, I saw this, and my jaw hit the floor a few times, but none so much as the Louis Armstrong wasteland montage. I don't understand it, and probably never will, but nothing says "post-apocalyptic wasteland" like Satchmo. Granted, it wasn't a nuclear wasteland, but I applaud Pixar's nod to the Fallout games, even if it wasn't intentional. ^_^

On a side note, the cartoon at the intro was probably the best Pixar short yet. Someone at Pixar must be a portal fan. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

I can't watch videos at work and I'm impatient to know, so I'll just ask - does the Ultimate WALL-E toy transform? I think the current toys look nice, but I'm holding out for one that transforms, is nicely articulated and detailed and looks good in both modes (even if one mode is just a cube).

This was easily the best movie I've seen so far this year, among many other greats. It's also easily the best sci-fi movie I've seen in the last ten years, maybe more.

There is a transforming wall-e toy but its proportions are not great. It would be cool if the Ultimate one did transform.

I agree that it is one of the best sci-fi movies in a long time, maybe ever.

There is a transforming wall-e toy but its proportions are not great. It would be cool if the Ultimate one did transform.

I saw that at TRU and was very tempted to get it, but decided against it because of the wonky proportions. If no other transforming versions of WALL-E come along I'll probably end up tracking one down.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple customization for my 'Transforming WALL-E'...

01.jpg

Used some sand paper to scuff the distinctive semi-circular rust spot on WALL-E's front plate, then painted it in with Gundam Markers etc.

02.jpg

WALL-E's head can peep up in 'box' mode.

03.jpg

Also painted his neck yellow to match screen-caps. Although the arms cannot extend, the claws and head are quite expressive.

04.jpg

Another trade-off are the non-triangular treads but I hardly notice it. And the retracting mechanism allows for other neat poses.

All in all, a really nice toy!

Next up: Gonna dig up my masking tape and paint in the missing 'sliding rails' for his arms. A 'perfect' WALL-E would have those gray sections spring out to become flush with the sides of his body, but from the looks of it, THAT is 'anime magic' on the part of PIXAR. :-)

WALL-E doesn't have enough room inside for his arms, head and tracks to retract into his body.

CGI is a wonderful thing.

The WALL-E Builders Club has started to post drawings so that whoever wants to build their own WALL-E will be able to do so.

actually i think there is enough room, the arms don't' retract inside of walle, but sort of lay into his outer casing. his tracks are tricky, since they used a little massaging to get them to fit, his tracks are essentially elastic, and stretch over several very flexible wheels, In the movie his wheels are all completely independent of each other and if you bunch them up properly there is room for his head. essentially his wheels and head all occupy his trash compactor area.

• 2 weeks later...

The show was pretty good but i think i prefer Incredibles. I rewatched the trailer for Short Circuit and realised that Wall-E doesn't just look like Johnny, but sounds like him too.

Uncanny.