Macross Frontier Episode 1 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 1: "Close Encounter"  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the theme songs and theme animation for Frontier?

• Loved both of 'em! Definitely new pants worthy.
    • Liked one more than the other. (specify)
    • This is gonna take a while to grow on me.
    • I ain't crapping in my pants for this. (i.e. Hated it)

The GATTAI sub is nice, I like their translation, but they don't touch the songs. 2 things I picked up I: Sheryl is ending her 3 month concert tour on the Frontier, and Alto is the only one who refers to Mikhail as Mikhail. All the rest call him Michel.

i still cant find a sub of Ep1 anywhere. Lots of Deculture, but not Ep1. Ive now watched it raw, which is something, but not great.

Some of u have seen it with english subs....can anyone PM me on this issue?

(Is that non-rule breaking enough?)

Ditto Ep2...

i still cant find a sub of Ep1 anywhere. Lots of Deculture, but not Ep1. Ive now watched it raw, which is something, but not great.

Some of u have seen it with english subs....can anyone PM me on this issue?

You're not looking in the usual places from everyone else aren't you?

I also got Gattai's sub job, it was good, but dissapointed that they don't touch the songs and I had trouble watching it cause the screen res was far to high for my PC and it was choppy cause of of it. So it was like instead of watching it at 24fps I'm watching it at 5fps.

Well, since I'm new here, I wanna add my two cents, even though its pretty much what's been said in earlier posts.

After seeing the first two episodes (which indeed were downright awesome) I have to say the Deculture version is better. Though there were a few scenes I liked in the Broadcast version, it felt a bit more rushed and choppy, and a couple of scenes were robbed of the awesome impact the Deculture version had. While the Broadcast version focused more on the characters, the Deculture version was much more suspenesful and emphasized the immense threat of the alien onslaught. If anything the broadcast version felt more like a clip show with new scenes added in.

Anyways, I still love where this series is going so far. That awesome battle at the start of Episode 2 really made me cheer. B))

Just saw Episode 1. :-) AND........... Is it just me or does Alto have a problem with authority in the way he disobeyed orders from Mikhail during their gig at the Sheryl concert?

Alto's personality isn't that he wants to buck authority (although, you might consider it that), but he wants to be free of restraints. He was born into the kabuki tradition, but he didn't want to do kabuki theater. He wanted to fly higher, but the dome held him back. He wanted to pull off some cool moves, but the performance producers changed the program and wanted a simpler program. Every time he wanted to do his own thing, something held him back. It bothers him a lot apparently.

Watched the AiA&I-Z sub of Ep. 1 and thought it was pretty good. I have to agree that what they omitted from the Deculture version was a shame and the editing in some parts felt a little choppy and/or rushed; but overall I did not have any problems with it. I like how they kept the Portuguese greeting (Bem Vindo) at the gate where Sherryl arrives in Frontier... I liked that multilingual touch in the DE.

Now that Ep. 2's sub is out I can't wait to start its download to see what everyone is raving about in the other thread.

is there a difference in episode one and episode one deculture edition?

Reading this thread from the start will give you all the information you need. But briefly: -

• The scene with the Ghost Fighters being destroyed by the Vajra is completely cut from the broadcast version.
  • The scene of Sheyrl folding out and her transport flying through the Frontier fleet is cut.
  • Some of the VF-171 combat with the Vajra is cut.
  • Pacing is generally considered to be faster in the broadcast version.
  • The ‘Macross Plus’ hand gesture scene is cut from the Broadcast version.
  • The scene with Alto folding and launching the paper plane is cut from the broadcast verion.
  • The Broadcast version has a proper opening with an opening song, the Deculture version does not and starts immediately with Sheyrl coming out of fold.
  • The ending songs are different between the two versions. The Deculture version features a beautifully haunting version (IMO) of Ai Oboete Imasu ka
  • The Broadcast version has additional pre-concert and concert footage.

Most people here prefer the Deculture version, but you should watch both, as they both contain footage that the other doesn't have.

Graham

Shinsen-Subs has finally released Episode 1 (Broadcast) in XviD, 704x396. This will be beneficial for those who've been having playback problems with the h.264 files released by Gattai and AiA I-Z.

(Note to mods: The link was to Shinsen-Subs' news post regarding their release, not the file itself. Please verify content before applying universal edits.)

Edited by veffidas
no links

shinsen subs finally released ep. 1. yea, they are behind but i've been waitin' for their version. does anybody know of a ddl (i know, i already checked post number 1 for the link)?

nvm, i had to downgrade my utorrent to 1.7.4 (i accidently updated to 1.7.7).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

has anybody else had any problems with [shinsen-Subs] Macross Frontier - 01b [4D5EC315].avi? i dled the torrent but zoomplayer, vlc player and wmp wouldn't play the file. i'm re-dlin' the torrent now and lookin' for a ddl/megaupload link...

^nevermind, i think i found the problem. i downgraded my utorrent from 1.7.7 to 1.7.4 (i upgraded by accident) and i had a file in D:Trrtz that was incomplete. i did a search and i see that utorrent is now dlin' to it to my C: drive instead (8 more minutes to complete my dl and see if it plays this time).

a mod can delete this thread.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

yes, i finally saw episode one and it goes hard. now i'm waitin' for episode 2 and 3 to get subbed by shinsen subs and for the bleach filler to end (the filler starts next week, boooooooo).

Did you also find it weird that they changed stuff they had already subbed for the DE? ("Niang Niang, Niang Niang, how're ya doin'"...? :blink: )

Did you also find it weird that they changed stuff they had already subbed for the DE? ("Niang Niang, Niang Niang, how're ya doin'"...? :blink: )

yea, i noticed that too. i would have to listen to the episode again and see if they said ni-a or nya (pronouned as one syllable nya, not two syllables ne-ya, i took japanese in college) in the show.

it to-kyo, not tokeyo... it's ryu, not ri-yu (streetfighter). oops, i went off topic...

Now even AnimeONE is in the act with a fasub of Ep01 broadcast Edition. I now count 4 fansubber groups for this series... must say something about its popularity.

The AonE-Gek-Men release is a bit flashier than the other releases, and they do all the lyrics, but the dialog is a tad stiff, and I'm fairly sure its wrong in places. I'd be happy with a sub that gets it about 90% right, and I don't think we've seen one yet.

The AonE-Gek-Men release is a bit flashier than the other releases, and they do all the lyrics, but the dialog is a tad stiff, and I'm fairly sure its wrong in places. I'd be happy with a sub that gets it about 90% right, and I don't think we've seen one yet.

Personally, Shinsen's sub of the DE of episode 1 has been the best I've seen. I'm waiting for them to get episode 2 done. :)

YAY!!! Another group/crew is subbing MF now. BTW, anybody saw this group's sub? How does it compare to Shinsen's, Gattai's or even AiA's?

Personally, I'm sticking to AiA, however its very compelling to go with Shinsen's because its Xvid/AVI, which is easier on my hardware. :-)

Edited by grss1982

YAY!!! Another group/crew is subbing MF now. BTW, anybody saw this group's sub? How does it compare to Shinsen's, Gattai's or even AiA's?

Personally, I'm sticking to AiA, however its very compelling to go with Shinsen's because its Xvid/AVI, which is easier on my hardware. :-)

It's flashier but about the same as AiA's. They do release smaller SD AVI files after releasing the HD .mkvs (although, I find the fact that MF isn't even broadcasted in HD funny since we see all the up converted HD encodes). It also appears they are using the TBS broadcast, not the MBS.

I apologize if this is against the rules (moderators please let me know) but I have tried to torrent the non-deculture version of episode 01 about 4 times now from two different torrent sites and each time once it is downloaded and I try to open it I get a message:

"ERROR - 2102: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie [AIA I-Z] Macross Frontier 01"

I have successfully downloaded the deculture, episode 02 and episode 03 on the same torrent sites for the AIA I-Z subs but this one episode I just keep getting this.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What I can do? I am really curious to see the non-Decultre version of episode 01 and would love to be able to have the AIA I-Z version in consistency with my other subs.

Thanks.