Macross Frontier Episode 1 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 1: "Close Encounter"  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the theme songs and theme animation for Frontier?

• Loved both of 'em! Definitely new pants worthy.
    • Liked one more than the other. (specify)
    • This is gonna take a while to grow on me.
    • I ain't crapping in my pants for this. (i.e. Hated it)

I have a few caps of that, which part were you looking for?

It is a fairly long sequence (in terms of frames) with several subtitles on it.

And yes, I like it too... ^_^

The shot right before the credits appear (flyingDOG/JVC), it's got the VF-25 nose in full frame, the other caps I found cut it off. Aside from the end pic of the cast, that's my favorite shot of the OP. It just feels like Macross... Many thanks Zinjo!

Its Greek, and they pronounce it more or less correctly in E7.

Bah, that's right, I don't why I fixate on him being Italian... :rolleyes:

I've taken Greek and no they Didn't pronounce it correctly at all in E7...

They should have pronounced it closer to "Yuriko", not "Eririka..."

Though this is getting off topic.

Depends which ones you want?

I have frame captures in 1080x720.

That is where I got the images for the new Walls I created HERE.

I also have the show in 1920x1080, but the MP4 has errors in it, so I can't get good frame caps at that resolution... :angry:

The 6th row last picture of the VF-25 in the hangar.

Its Greek, and they pronounce it more or less correctly in E7.

Personally, I'm sold on Mikhail Buran being Russian.

His name does sound Russian, Half Russian Half Zentrandi?

It's hard to say. Mikhail is a Russian name. Though, this page http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%...83%AD%E3%82%B9F claims the Romanization to be "Mihael Bran"!

The only correct thing about it, is that it is the correct Romanization of the Japanese into English. I'll also add that the live action "bookends" to the Deculture Edition of Eps. 01 specifically pointed out and focused in on the one foreigner working on Macross F - an animator originally from France. Read whatever you will into that.

ミハエル is the same katakana used in japanese for michael schumacher's name. so it could be mikhail, or it could be michael. and while alto calls him ミハエル, luca and ozma call him ミシェル, which sounds a lot like michelle. michel (french), mikhail (russian), and michael (german/english) all are the same name, with different pronunciations based on the language. so this could mean he is russian or german, or french. if he was german, braun would make sense, and brun would make sense if he is french. both words mean brown. so if he was english, his name would be michael brown. who knows, he could be any of those.

Edited by cyde01

You guys sure do like picking apart miniscule details :p

Welcome to Macrossworld. :lol:

Forgot to mention this....but did anyone think that the last parts of the OP where the VF-25 battroid was swinging around with that background OP music almost sounded and looked like a short version of Gunbuster's "RX9-dance"? :lol:

Edited by wolfx

actually when the VF-25's battroid swung around, I was thinking Macross II moment.

Actually, that part of both the Frontier and Macross II openings are directly related to the original SDF Macross opening.

ミハエル is the same katakana used in japanese for michael schumacher's name. so it could be mikhail, or it could be michael. and while alto calls him ミハエル, luca and ozma call him ミシェル, which sounds a lot like michelle. michel (french), mikhail (russian), and michael (german/english) all are the same name, with different pronunciations based on the language. so this could mean he is russian or german, or french. if he was german, braun would make sense, and brun would make sense if he is french. both words mean brown. so if he was english, his name would be michael brown. who knows, he could be any of those.

Good point. We may not know what the intended foreign name is until something like a TIA book is released.

Which is why I prefer the straight Modified Hepburn* romanization, as opposed to trying to read Kawamori-san's mind. ;)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization

Hmm....then i guess its just a matter of "preference". I prefer the words to be translated literally. Any "subtlety" will have to be discerned by the viewer him/herself. As a good example, AFK's translations tend to translate stuff in a very american context which although might be the true context of a particular scene but in terms of translation not exactly accurate. Like "Kairei kudasai" into "just get lost" rather than the more accurate "just go home". And remember the Gurren Lagann Nyoron subs that included the "F***" in the WHO THE F*** DO YOU THINK I AM....oh sure...added for extra context but the f-bombs aren't exactly accurate.

Literal translation results in some pretty garbled stuff. Subtlety is completely lost unless if all the potential meanings of a word and a word in combination with other words are included (which only turns a translation into an academic exercise - in this case, you're better off translating your own stuff. If you'd like an example on the possible variations on translating a single term, search for my discussions on the potential translation of the kanji that describes SMS in this forum.)

Nevertheless, what you are mentioning is not translation per se, but translation into a colloquial dialect limited to a small region, territory or country. In this case, the problem is that the translator isn't translating into plain English. (The lack of use of plain English is something that the majority of us MW members are guilty of.)

With the translation of Sheryl's line into "just do it", not only is it a colloquial dialect, but it's also a catch phrase from a Nike commercial, with plenty of other cultural baggage associated with it; pretty much all of which has nothing to do with what is said in the original. In this case, I agree that it is a less than good translation, because there is a bunch of added subtext and subtltly that isn't present in the original (Sheryl is a closet jock?). But, as this is referencing a phrase provided by someone without request for compensation and acquired for free, it's in the "what you see is what you get" or "you want a better translation, pay for it" categories. Sorry.

Deculture Edition rocks my socks off. Much better quality than the normal episode. But I do appreciate the new scenes at the concert. Gives us a better look at the characters' personalities. Now if only they integrated those with the Deculture edition...

Deculture Edition rocks my socks off. Much better quality than the normal episode. But I do appreciate the new scenes at the concert. Gives us a better look at the characters' personalities. Now if only they integrated those with the Deculture edition...

Wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray disc... <_< *cough* News thread */cough*

With the translation of Sheryl's line into "just do it", not only is it a colloquial dialect, but it's also a catch phrase from a Nike commercial, with plenty of other cultural baggage associated with it; pretty much all of which has nothing to do with what is said in the original. In this case, I agree that it is a less than good translation, because there is a bunch of added subtext and subtltly that isn't present in the original (Sheryl is a closet jock?). But, as this is referencing a phrase provided by someone without request for compensation and acquired for free, it's in the "what you see is what you get" or "you want a better translation, pay for it" categories. Sorry.

I think you might be thinking a little too hard sketchley. :lol:

But, as this is referencing a phrase provided by someone without request for compensation and acquired for free, it's in the "what you see is what you get" or "you want a better translation, pay for it" categories. Sorry.

I'm sorry if i sounded like i was trying to impose my views on translations or something....but that wasn't my intent. Neither was it a "beggars shouldn't be choosers" kinda argument either. People asked how the AiA-IZ subs were, and that's how i saw it.

I also disagree that paid translations are of better quality/accuracy than free ones but won't argue about that here. Some are just horrendous...and i'm not even a Japanese expert to catch them.

My problem with the line is that I just don't think it reflected the true intention of her words. The tone of her voice isn't a demanding, commanding tone that says, "just do it!" She's almost pleading for him to hurry, her tone is not that of someone who is in a position of power or control.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Duke Togo

I fully agree on your points that the translation isn't in plain English.

I'm also going to change my stance from fully "beggars can't be choosers" to "paying (or receiving payment) for a translation brings accountability into the equation. Not paying removes accountability entirely." Some paid translations are terrible, but at least the person who paid for them can ask for a refund, thus forcing the translator to be more accurate.

My problem with the line is that I just don't think it reflected the true intention of her words. The tone of her voice isn't a demanding, commanding tone that says, "just do it!" She's almost pleading for him to hurry, her tone is not that of someone who is in a position of power or control.

Just my 2 cents.

Ah... but this now is a difference between English and Japanese. In English, to emphasize something, we tend to say it louder or with longer vowels. (Go vs. GOOOOOOOOOOO!) In Japanese, in a lot of cases, the words used are different. (ikimasu - ikuze)

In this scene, Sheryl's also constrained by the fact that their's a camera focused on her face, and a microphone near her mouth. Anything said louder than a whisper and requiring any major changes to her expression are going to be shown to the audience.

Just curious about the OP ED.

Why am I thinking that the left VF is an enemy VF like those of the varuta in M7?

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/Macr...0Large%2014.jpg

AND that this person is the pilot (the blonde person in a blue suit):

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/Macr...0Large%2013.jpg

Take note of the battroid right behind that blonde person in a blue suit could it be the battroid of the enemy VF I was talking about or is that the Macross 25 in battroid mode or something?