Other Transforming anime?

SpaceCowboy

I'm really into anime involving some type of robots that transform into vehicles and vice versa lately.

I'm currently watching Orguss, and was wondering what other series are out there that I might not know about. The ones I've seen or heard about are

Macross

Southern Cross

Mospeada

Megazone 23

On the Fringe,

Voltron

Transformers

There has got to be more than this? With the success of Macross, I would think there would be tons of copy cats.

SpaceCowboy

Right. I forgot about Z Gundam. Well, I remember buying a model kit that transformed into a jet, but at the time wasn't aware of their being more than one Gundam series. That was a long time ago and the model has since vanished, but I will check into Z Gundam. Thanks.

I did watch Bubblegum Crisis 2099 (?, some year) but the transformation aspect of the bike was nearly non-existent =(

I've also seen Escaflowne...should have included that in my list. I liked it ok. I thought the dragon robot transformation was very cool.

SpaceCowboy

Right. I forgot about Z Gundam. Well, I remember buying a model kit that transformed into a jet, but at the time wasn't aware of their being more than one Gundam series. That was a long time ago and the model has since vanished, but I will check into Z Gundam. Thanks.

I did watch Bubblegum Crisis 2099 (?, some year) but the transformation aspect of the bike was nearly non-existent =(

I've also seen Escaflowne...should have included that in my list. I liked it ok. I thought the dragon robot transformation was very cool.

SpaceCowboy

Scratch that... I think they were called Motoslaves.

You might be thinking of Bubblegum Crisis 2040. You should check out the first series. Much better, in my opinion.

Here's a pic from the first series of the motoslave transformed around Priss.

post-26-1067223098_thumb.jpg

Gaiking

Well if Voltron (AKA Golion is in) I guess this would be too.

Do you REALLY want a list of all transforming robot/combine robot shows?

Cause I'm sure myslef and destroidsrage could list around 80 :lol:

Check out GaoGaiGar its pretty current (1997 I believe) and Anime-in-action are doing a fantastic job with it.

Basically its about these aliens called Zondars attacking (20$ if you can guess right) TOKYO (OMG) but the human's caught onto it so they made a sevret organization called GGG to deal with it. GGG basically made a ton of giant robots with AI and one super powerful one called GaoGaiGar.

Now after the Zonders first launch their attack GaoGaiGar and most the other robots haven't been made or finished yet. So GaoGaiGar has to launch to fight this monster. *Insert kickass fight* GaoGaiGar then is about to destroy the things core when suddenly this kid out of nowhere turns into some green flying dude and tells him to stop.

So what's going on jut watch it and enjoy. Its a REALLY good show. Sorta reminds me of transformers (made by the same people I believe) and has some of the most kickass mechs EVER. Volfogg and his 2 other ninja robots are the coolest EVER.

BTW- GGG is staring in Super robot wars Alpha 2 and man is he cool.

No, not really all transforming.  I'd prefer to check out shows that are similar to either Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada, or Orguss. 

SpaceCowboy

try legend of galatic heros. epic scifi.

There aren't any big robots in LotGH, let alone ones that transform.

No, not really all transforming.  I'd prefer to check out shows that are similar to either Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada, or Orguss. 

SpaceCowboy

try legend of galatic heros. epic scifi.

There aren't any big robots in LotGH, let alone ones that transform.

yeah buti tis; good. he cna try ryu virus or gunbuster for robots.

Well now lets try to figure out what exact type of giant robot shows you like

Well we got

Over the top Super robot shows- Shows like Voltron or Mazinger-Z with like no real plot and just some stupid bad guy that don't think straight. Then of course you have ONE ALL POWERFUL giant robot maybe with a couple other robots that do nothing and he always defeats the enemies in the end.

Over the top Combining Super Robots- Such as Vlotron (Golion), Combattler V, Voltes V. Normally with 5 people normally the same stareotypes for all the shows. A respectable main character, his rival, smart kid, fat guy and the chick. Normally has the same episode types as the overthe top giant robot shows.

Combining/ Super robot shows - Sorta the half way there to real robot shows. Dancougar is a great example of this. Basically you still have the giant robot and typical character but no its more gritty and you have strategy and stuff. The evil lord of all space rat ideas are pretty much gone etc.

Brave robots- Sorta the super robots long lost cousins. This you probobly remember as transformers but as stated above GGG is the best example of this type at its best. Mormally defined with a bunch of AI giant robots and cool stuff like that.

Real Robots- Gundam, Macross, Vifam, Dragonar, SPT Laynazer. This is the true change in giant robot shows. Now the main robot isn't some super powerful robot. But now it CAN be defeated. Also you don't have the ritual robot of the week thing. You have relatively normal bad guys and realalistic warfare.

So based on previous posts I assume you sorta like the transforming real robotish shows. For that I would suggest. Vifam, Dragonar, SPT Laynazer, >>Dunbine<<, L-Gaim.

Actually, Transformers and the Brave Robot saga (includes Gaogaigar) are made by 2 different studios, Brave Robots are by Sunrise, Transformers... I don't know, lol. I seem to prefer the Brave Robot series. Brave Robot includes shows such as Exkaiser, Mightgaine, Fighbird, and others which I've forgotten the names of.

Well, there's Aura Battler Dunbine, which has Billvine that transforms. There's also Galvion. And Gravion, which I think many people are familiar with.

Space Runaway Ideon. Let's not forget Machine Robo. Also, a show which was dubbed with the name Ninja Robots (can't remember the Japanese title). There's also Metal Jack which is TECHNICALLY a transforming robo anime. Gosaurer. Raijin-oh. And I don't know/can't remember others.

Edited by rikiryou

Real Robots- Gundam, Macross, Vifam, Dragonar, SPT Laynazer. This is the true change in giant robot shows. Now the main robot isn't some super powerful robot. But now it CAN be defeated. Also you don't have the ritual robot of the week thing. You have relatively normal bad guys and realalistic warfare.

So based on previous posts I assume you sorta like the transforming real robotish shows. For that I would suggest. Vifam, Dragonar, SPT Laynazer, >>Dunbine<<, L-Gaim.

Yes, Bob Joe. I am more into the realistic robots that aren't all powerful and the shows don't boil down into a villian of the week. I've never heard of Vifam, Dragonar or SPT Laynazer, so I'll be sure to check those out. Thanks for helping me narrow down what I meant in the first place! :p

Actually, Transformers and the Brave Robot saga (includes Gaogaigar) are made by 2 different studios, Brave Robots are by Sunrise, Transformers... I don't know, lol. I seem to prefer the Brave Robot series. Brave Robot includes shows such as Exkaiser, Mightgaine, Fighbird, and others which I've forgotten the names of.

I thought they were both produced or was it funded by Takara.. oh well

Yes, Bob Joe. I am more into the realistic robots that aren't all powerful and the shows don't boil down into a villian of the week. I've never heard of Vifam, Dragonar or SPT Laynazer, so I'll be sure to check those out. Thanks for helping me narrow down what I meant in the first place!

Yeah SPT Laynazer and Vifam may be a little hard to track down subbed unless you want bootlegs. (I watched them in japanese...) But Dragonar recently got the treatment of being fansubbed :)

http://a.scarywater.net/lsa/

You can also buy Dunbine on DVD. If you liked escaflowne you would LOVE this.

Edited by bob joe mac

Could you give a brief info on Layzner's plot? I've been wondering what it's about over the past 7 years since I first saw it in Neo SRW.

Ok well basically its in the semi-near future where the U.S. and russia have set up little places on mars. There they experiment and stuff. Now a bunch of students arrive their when suddenly this mysterious force attacks the earths puny resistance force can't compete wit htheir giant robots. Luckily a strange blue robot comes down and starts to fight back. After fighting for a awhile the enemy retreats and the blue robot pilot lands and tells them that the dudes attacking them were from the Gurados empire. He claims to be a soldier who stole a prototype to help stop the empires evilness.

thats basically the first episode. But its a really cool show the only problem I had with it was the stupid thing during the middle of the opening song when they give a preview of the episode following the opening.... wierd huh?

Yep, I've seen the opening, so I know what you're talking about. Someone even went through the trouble of doing a V Gundam music video with Layzner's opening song "~Lonely Way~ Merosu no Youni" (tv sized), doing the same annoying thing. Probably to mock that part, heheh. Thanks for the info!

Edited by rikiryou