Bandai 'chunky monkey' 1/55 re-reissues

Shaggydog

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the link!

Alright, Hikaru's 1J finally gets a heatshield, I'm sold! Is it just me, or does his 1J look more white this time around? That would be another bonus in my book.

Here's a small sampling from Californium's link.

I can't say he looks more white. But I can say that the heatshield is a HUGE improvement.

:ph34r:

I agree Ry. $70 max for me. Too bad. I would have picked one up.

Yeah....they're all like "hey...let's throw on a couple more tampo markings and a heatshield and I bet they'll pay an extra 30 bucks" <_<

Alright, Hikaru's 1J finally gets a heatshield, I'm sold! Is it just me, or does his 1J look more white this time around? That would be another bonus in my book.

It looks grey to me.

I agree Ry. $70 max for me. Too bad. I would have picked one up.

Surprisingly the yen price is now 8190.

It looks like the shoulder markings may be tampo printed this time.

Thats what I am hoping for, the shoulder stickers had too much of a border, and sucked, the edges on mine are all messed up. Is it just me, or are Focker's yellow trim paint applications more vibrant this time around as opposed to dull like the original reissue?

Where did the red tail stripes come from? blink.gif

The Takatokus. It might not be accurate or canon(never seen red stripes in Kawamori's sketches), but honestly this is a change I have always liked, otherwise, the tailfins would look bland as plain white with just the designation number near the rudders.

Yeah....they're all like "hey...let's throw on a couple more tampo markings and a heatshield and I bet they'll pay an extra 30 bucks" dry.gif

ph34r.gif

I was willing to pay $80 earlier this year, and the japanese price is about the same, so its a buy for me. Not to mention, this toy is built to last, so in my eyes, $80 for something that most likely won't need repairs is worth it.

Goofy thing that may have been asked before, but I don't remember....

Where did the red tail stripes come from? :blink:

You know....after you asked this question....I was like....Hmmmmmmm I wonder too. So here is what I have found.

The resissue VF-1J 1/55 Bandai DOES have the stripes on the tail fins just like the newest reissue that is coming out. However...ALOT of art work I have seen and the 1/48 VF-1J by Yamato DOES NOT have them. :huh:

Why!?! I don't know.

IMO - It looks better without them.

Wait, but it seems like Focker and Hikaru's TV valks do!

The Hikaru 1J looks like it's the 2001 reissue being used for display purposes. I can't see the slot on the canopy that allows it to be popped off like the rest of the reissues. Can't tell with Focker because it's in battroid mode.

• 7 months later...

I noticed my reissue Super 1S seems to have shifted a little toward the yellow. It had been on display where there was occasional ambient sunlight. Now its in my living room in similar conditions.

Not enough to say its actually yellowing, but you do notice it doesn't look absolutely 'new'.

Edited by AcroRay

I have the reissue 2001 vf-1A Hikaru and have signs of yellowing on legs, shoulders, nose and face.

It is in my bedroom on a display cabinet with no direct sunlight.

I have other toys from the 80s and some have slight yellowing but they were in my cabinet for more than 10 years.

I can assure the quality of plastic of the 80s was far superior than the plastic toy manufactures use nowadays.

I have the reissue 2001 vf-1A Hikaru and have signs of yellowing on legs, shoulders, nose and face.

It is in my bedroom on a display cabinet with no direct sunlight.

I have other toys from the 80s and some have slight yellowing but they were in my cabinet for more than 10 years.

I can assure the quality of plastic of the 80s was far superior than the plastic toy manufactures use nowadays.

if chinese factories are willing to put plastic in milk to save a few bucks, imagine what sort of crap they put in plastic? <_<

if chinese factories are willing to put plastic in milk to save a few bucks, imagine what sort of crap they put in plastic? <_<

Geez, and I thought dust was going to be my only enemy on these! Sucks that these are yellowing this soon. I have yet to see any yellowing on my 1/48's, but that's not to say they aren't yellowing. It could be that it's just not noticeable to me yet. Same goes for the reissue 1/55's I have. I haven't really scrutinized over them to tell, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. On the old 1/60's, the only one's that have yellowed that I've noticed are the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1A CF (TRU version), as alot of other members have had the same problem. The odd thing is that I've had the wide release VF-1A CF out more, and it doesn't have any obvious yellowing. I don't have it in front of me right now, but it might not be as white as the TRU version. I even sold a new TRU CF that was sealed in the box and packed away in a box for awhile, and I could tell the missiles had yellowed. I wouldn't be surprised if the landing gear flaps and screw covers had yellowed underneath.