Work in progress

Mr. Anderson

This is my first model in about 15 years. I wanted to start out with something cheap so I picked up this 1/100 scale at the local hobby shop. They didnt have much for Macross kits but it was cheap and I figured I could use some practice before I got my VF-0S Valkryie and Battroid. Ill be posting more progress pics along the way till its finished!

post-7597-1206540066_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206540116_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206540157_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206540306_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206540347_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I'm in the same boat right now, only it's just been a few years since my last model. I decided to brush up with a Gundam model, since they're abundant and cheap. I've got a Super Valkyrie on the way that I'll start on once I am ready. I've learned so much about modeling from this and other websites - it's like a whole different world than when I was little! Back then I just put the thing together, did a little detail paint, and set her up :lol:

Awesome! I'm in the same boat right now, only it's just been a few years since my last model. I decided to brush up with a Gundam model, since they're abundant and cheap. I've got a Super Valkyrie on the way that I'll start on once I am ready. I've learned so much about modeling from this and other websites - it's like a whole different world than when I was little! Back then I just put the thing together, did a little detail paint, and set her up :lol:

I know! This website is great! So many great modelers on here that dont mind helping :lol:

Looks like you're off to a great start. If you can eliminate the seams on those kits then you've pretty much got it beat. Is that the kit for Millia's fighter? Will you be going with the recommended paint scheme or a custom?

Thanks for sharing your work and welcome back to the fun! I hope to see it when you're finished.

Looks like you're off to a great start. If you can eliminate the seams on those kits then you've pretty much got it beat. Is that the kit for Millia's fighter? Will you be going with the recommended paint scheme or a custom?

Thanks for sharing your work and welcome back to the fun! I hope to see it when you're finished.

Yeah it is Millia's fighter. Im trying to get rid of the seams. What method and tools do you use for getting rid of the seams? Im just going for recommended paint scheme for now. Not confident enough to do anything custom. :lol:

Looking good Mr Anderson and a good idea to start on a nice simple little kit. For removing seem lines you just need a little model putty and a few different grades of wet and dry sandpaper. A sculpting tool is great for applying putty but you can use anything handy to apply it, an ice-cream container lid cut into small rectangle pieces works well.

Okay so I re-primered some areas after some sanding. Went with a white primer this time. I think I lost some detail of the panel lines but oh well. Just added some more parts on today and did a lil more sanding. Some big seams im going to have to fill here! <_< Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I need it! :lol: Oh yeah I almost forgot....I got my airbrush kit today! :D Thanks Don! Should be interesting to see how things turn out.

post-7597-1206602133_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206602175_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206602212_thumb.jpg

post-7597-1206602525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Anderson

Okay so I re-primered some areas after some sanding. Went with a white primer this time. I think I lost some detail of the panel lines but oh well. Just added some more parts on today and did a lil more sanding. Some big seams im going to have to fill here! <_< Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I need it! :lol: Oh yeah I almost forgot....I got my airbrush kit today! :D Thanks Don! Should be interesting to see how things turn out.

It is easy to cover up some panel line when paiting or priming. Especially when using spray can primer.

I hate it when it happen. I do not have the skill to rescribe most panel lines.

For this Arii kit, the panel line are thicker (compared to a Hasegawa kit) and it is not so bad (harder to lost and easier to recover).

Now that you have your airbrush, maybe doing priming using your airbrush will be better.

I find that thinning down the primer and apply it using an airbrush give me much more control.

It might be too thin to give good filling (when this is needed, I try to do more layer or don't thin the primer so much), but great in avoid filling in fine panel line, especially during second priming after some sanding (where I just want to have a very thin covering to let me know if the surface is smooth).

Looks like you are having fun. :) That is important.

It is easy to cover up some panel line when paiting or priming. Especially when using spray can primer.

I hate it when it happen. I do not have the skill to rescribe most panel lines.

For this Arii kit, the panel line are thicker (compared to a Hasegawa kit) and it is not so bad (harder to lost and easier to recover).

Now that you have your airbrush, maybe doing priming using your airbrush will be better.

I find that thinning down the primer and apply it using an airbrush give me much more control.

It might be too thin to give good filling (when this is needed, I try to do more layer or don't thin the primer so much), but great in avoid filling in fine panel line, especially during second priming after some sanding (where I just want to have a very thin covering to let me know if the surface is smooth).

Looks like you are having fun. :) That is important.

Thanks! What do you use for primer in your airbrushes??

Thanks! What do you use for primer in your airbrushes??

I use mr. surfacer 500 or 1000.

The grey colored one.

I have also tried to de-can a spray can auto-paint primer and thin it and use it with my airbrush.

What primer are you using?

Looks like you've done some good work so far, especially on the arm area on the underside. IMHO the most important areas to get smooth on that kit are the nose and the legs. The other areas are not so visible, and most of the other seams are along natural panel lines anyway. When you get that kit together though, you will have a nice sleek model of a Valkyrie.

I'm just starting to get the hang of using super glue and accelerator to fill seams and I wish I had paid more attention to that method a while ago. It really is a very quick way to fill seam lines. I was always afraid of sticking the sandpaper to the glue or just spreading a mess of glue around, but using accelerator eliminates that problem. You just have to be quick to smooth it out with sandpaper before the glue gets too hard. Some people add baking soda or pure talc to super glue to make a thicker paste that will fill larger gaps, but I haven't tried that just yet.

I use mr. surfacer 500 or 1000.

The grey colored one.

I have also tried to de-can a spray can auto-paint primer and thin it and use it with my airbrush.

What primer are you using?

Ill look into those! I am using Duplicolor sandable primer white. I hear Plastikote is good spray can primer.

Okay so here it is. My first attempt ever at masking and then airbrushing. Turned out ok. ^_^ There are some bad spots here and there, but nothing a lil touchup wont take care of. I'll have to remember from now to glue, fill, sand before I prime or paint next time :wacko: I'll put some more pics up soon.

post-7597-1206974278_thumb.jpg

Okay . Been a lil busy but im ready to do some painting now. Did some masking today and hopefully going to shoot it with some grey tonight!

Looking nice so far - my local hobby store has this kit, but they want $60 for it. I guess it's not too much more than the cost of importing it, but I'm not ready to drop the cash for it yet. I guess I need to finish my other kit first anyway.

Looking nice so far - my local hobby store has this kit, but they want $60 for it. I guess it's not too much more than the cost of importing it, but I'm not ready to drop the cash for it yet. I guess I need to finish my other kit first anyway.

60 bucks!!! Wow I got mine for 12 dollars! :o

60 bucks!!! Wow I got mine for 12 dollars! :o

Where did you get yours at? I would like to pick one up for I am starting to try my hand at modeling.

:ph34r:

I would suggest calling them and tell them what you are looking for. They have thousands of models. Not alot of Macross though. I had to do some digging when I was there.

Cool....thanks for letting me know. I will be calling them soon.

:ph34r:

I have some of these kits (various ones from the whole range) that I've been debating putting on Ebay. If anyone's interested, I'd price most of them between $10-$20 each depending on the kit.

Just PM me if interested.

Keep up the good work Mr. A!

• 2 weeks later...