Mr. Surfacer

Majestic

I'm working on a custom 1/48 and really like using Mr. Surfacer 500/1000/1200 as a primer. Unfortunately, it looks like sources of Mr. Surfacer have dried up in the U.S. and HLJ has them on backorder.

For you modelmakers out there, is there a good alternative product to use that works similarly?

The alternative is Dupont Automotive sandable primer. The downside is that you will have to shoot it through an airbrush, and you will also have to thin it to the desired consistency. I prefer Mr Surfacer, as I'm kinda lazy!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that Halfords white plastic primer is nearly as good, you just got to remember to put it on thinner as it builds up quicker than MR Surfacer does.

(Halfords is a UK Automart like AutoBacs, think car parts in a superstore with Stereos and byclces etc)

I've always wanted to try Mr. Surfacer. What are the differences between 500 1000 ect. Also, is it mainly used sor seems, scratches and dents but not for larger gaps? thanks for any help.

Chris

I've always wanted to try Mr. Surfacer. What are the differences between 500 1000 ect. Also, is it mainly used sor seems, scratches and dents but not for larger gaps? thanks for any help.

Chris

It's really great stuff as a primer. It's basically "liquid putty". Not really used for larger gaps, more like imperfect seams left over from putty/sanding.

500 is the thickest, and can be brushed on to help fill in tiny air bubble imperfections or gaps not already filled by putty. I think 500 has a slightly grainy texture to it, so it's possible that it can be airbrushed on to provide a textured undercoat.

I use 1000 or 1200 as a primer...it creates an awesome basecoat for paint to stick to. Thin it with lacquer thinner and make sure and wear a respirator with plenty of ventilation.

To bump my own ealier question: Anywhere to buy this stuff in the Bay Area, CA?