YOUR six degrees (or less) of macross.

Alex

So, I was quite surprised to recently discover that one of my colleagues is the son of Melode Sexton, who, as many of you may kn ow, voiced the lyrics to Macross Plus' "Information High"..

What i'd like to know is what other degrees of separation do other MWers have.

Tell us all about your connection to the people behind the scenes of the Macross universe.

Edited by Alex

does the six degrees count if you met them at a con? If it counts then I have seen Mikimoto, Iijima, and Kawamori :ph34r:

HM. I should have specified that con meetings don't count. But i'll make an exception for you since you are the first to post. :lol:

My Japanese professor from UCLA is good friends with Mari iijima, and introduced me to her.

And my best friend taught ESL in Monterey Park, and had a student who was friends with Yoko Kanno. She (the student) gave her (my friend) a bunch of Seatbelts memorabilia. I was jealous.

My Japanese professor from UCLA is good friends with Mari iijima, and introduced me to her.

And my best friend taught ESL in Monterey Park, and had a student who was friends with Yoko Kanno. She (the student) gave her (my friend) a bunch of Seatbelts memorabilia. I was jealous.

Nice. How MUCH Seatbelts memorabilia exactly? I'd love to meet Yoko Kanno. I want to find out how Ed-like she really is in person. Wonder if she plays piano with her toes.

Edited by Alex

Nice. How MUCH Seatbelts memorabilia exactly? I'd love to meet Yoko Kanno. I want to find out how Ed-like she really is in person. Wonder if she plays piano with her toes.

It was a few years ago, but IIRC, she got a concert program, some stickers, and a tote bag.

I'd like to meet Yoko Kanno, too, but I get the feeling it would be more fun to work with her...you can tell the Seatbelts were having a damn good time making the Bebop albums...

Ok - here is the ugly truth:

My grandmother's aunt's uncle's room-mate's cousin's brother, while watching Space Balls, happened to get an urging for pizza; called up a pizza place - and who shows up 20 minutes later?

The pizza delivery guy of course.

And because my grandmother's aunt's uncle's room-mate's cousin's brother's sister's daughter who lived with him (don't ask) was a Macross fan, the Pizza guy happened to see some Macross stuff while delivering the pizza.

Next thing you know the pizza guy is like "you know, my dad was in Japan last week to visit his sister's mother who was God Mother to his ex-wife's daughter, and when he came over, a guy named Gen was visiting her and it turned out that Gen was the brother of the driver for a CEO at some Bank who's daughter was dating the son of a distant relative of Kawamori."

So as you see - I am pretty tight with the VIPs.

VFTF1

Ok - here is the ugly truth:

My grandmother's aunt's uncle's room-mate's cousin's brother, while watching Space Balls, happened to get an urging for pizza; called up a pizza place - and who shows up 20 minutes later?

The pizza delivery guy of course.

And because my grandmother's aunt's uncle's room-mate's cousin's brother's sister's daughter who lived with him (don't ask) was a Macross fan, the Pizza guy happened to see some Macross stuff while delivering the pizza.

Next thing you know the pizza guy is like "you know, my dad was in Japan last week to visit his sister's mother who was God Mother to his ex-wife's daughter, and when he came over, a guy named Gen was visiting her and it turned out that Gen was the brother of the driver for a CEO at some Bank who's daughter was dating the son of a distant relative of Kawamori."

So as you see - I am pretty tight with the VIPs.

VFTF1

Sorry. That's more than six degrees. DISQUALIFICATION. ^_^

Edited by Alex

I had a Kirin the other day that was bottled buy a guy who's brother's wife was best friends in high school with a girl who's brother went to cram school with Mikimoto.

Or not, as I understand a joint venture with Anheuser-Busch means A-B brews Kirin in America.

...mmm, Ichiban... :p

Well, if you take the fact that I call my Mom "mom" - then that's an "M"

Then there's the "A" from my "dAd" (I call him Dad)

Then you have to factor in that I have a cat - so you have a "C"

I also have a collection of robots - so there's the "R"

I have a dog named "Oz" - so there's the "O"

And then just multiply the S in my initials twice for "SS"

Unbeatable. I am surprised that Kamawori has not payed me a house visit, or at least acknowledged my vast importance in the development of Macross up to this day....

VFTF1

Well, if you take the fact that I call my Mom "mom" - then that's an "M"

Then there's the "A" from my "dAd" (I call him Dad)

Then you have to factor in that I have a cat - so you have a "C"

I also have a collection of robots - so there's the "R"

I have a dog named "Oz" - so there's the "O"

And then just multiply the S in my initials twice for "SS"

Unbeatable. I am surprised that Kamawori has not payed me a house visit, or at least acknowledged my vast importance in the development of Macross up to this day....

VFTF1

Sue him. :p

Don't even get me started on Macross Frontiers.

I post to a forum on Chinese/Japanese food and I once posted about this GRRREEEEAAAAT restaraunt in my city; best Japanese food I've ever had - and the Chinese isn't bad either; it's a joint Chinese/Japanese venture; although the boss is Chinese, the Japanese food is presided over by a Japanese guy...

Anyways - I ended my review with something like "you know - if they ever make another Macross series, they really ought to put in a great Chinese restaurant."

And what happens? Lo and behold - and who gets the credit- some Kawamori guy ...sheesh. No justice.

I posted on this outrage on other sights - and get this guys - people write responses like "but don't you think that since Minmey worked in a Chinese restaurant in the original SDF M, then it is only natural that there would be such a restaurant and a waitress in the new series, and that this is where the idea came from and not from stealing your insights?"

Can you BELIEVE this stuff??

No justice and certainly no sympathy in this cruel, cruel world.

VFTF1

Don't even get me started on Macross Frontiers.

I post to a forum on Chinese/Japanese food and I once posted about this GRRREEEEAAAAT restaraunt in my city; best Japanese food I've ever had - and the Chinese isn't bad either; it's a joint Chinese/Japanese venture; although the boss is Chinese, the Japanese food is presided over by a Japanese guy...

Anyways - I ended my review with something like "you know - if they ever make another Macross series, they really ought to put in a great Chinese restaurant."

And what happens? Lo and behold - and who gets the credit- some Kawamori guy ...sheesh. No justice.

I posted on this outrage on other sights - and get this guys - people write responses like "but don't you think that since Minmey worked in a Chinese restaurant in the original SDF M, then it is only natural that there would be such a restaurant and a waitress in the new series, and that this is where the idea came from and not from stealing your insights?"

Can you BELIEVE this stuff??

No justice and certainly no sympathy in this cruel, cruel world.

VFTF1

Tell me about it. In November of 2006, I said to one of my friends, "Look. To me, a perfect Macross series has transforming jets, a love triangle, and a singer of some kind."

Then, more than a year later, Macross F comes around, and what does it have? Transforming jets, a love triangle, and a singer!

I'm TOTALLY suing. And I'll also sue any store that carries Macross F toys or models, too.

Tell me about it. In November of 2006, I said to one of my friends, "Look. To me, a perfect Macross series has transforming jets, a love triangle, and a singer of some kind."

Then, more than a year later, Macross F comes around, and what does it have? Transforming jets, a love triangle, and a singer!

So YOU were the one who ruined my promising career as a Macross consultant with the studios!?

I had suggested that Macross F feature a love pentagon, and not a triangle, because I like pentagons better! The show producers, for their part, wanted a love circle, and Kawamori kept arguing that it ought to be a variable hexagon - able to take on the shape of a square or a octogon at will.

For months I sacrificed convincing them that my love pentagon idea was the best one - and they were on the brink of accepting when suddenly what do I hear one November night?

"Hey, I heard from a friend about someone coming up with the idea for a love triangle".... and there went MY career!

Thanks Gubaba!

VFTF1

So YOU were the one who ruined my promising career as a Macross consultant with the studios!?

I had suggested that Macross F feature a love pentagon, and not a triangle, because I like pentagons better! The show producers, for their part, wanted a love circle, and Kawamori kept arguing that it ought to be a variable hexagon - able to take on the shape of a square or a octogon at will.

For months I sacrificed convincing them that my love pentagon idea was the best one - and they were on the brink of accepting when suddenly what do I hear one November night?

"Hey, I heard from a friend about someone coming up with the idea for a love triangle".... and there went MY career!

Thanks Gubaba!

VFTF1

I trademarked the term "love pentagon" in 2003. My lawyers will be in touch with you soon.

I trademarked the term "love pentagon" in 2003. My lawyers will be in touch with you soon.

I have already informed my lawyers to file sexual harrassment lawsuits against your lawyers for trying to touch me!

VFTF1

I have already informed my lawyers to file sexual harrassment lawsuits against your lawyers for trying to touch me!

VFTF1

You win this round, VFTF1 (if that is your real name...), but I'll be back!

And to think, I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for your meddling attorneys.

• 2 weeks later...
What i'd like to know is what other degrees of separation do other MWers have.

Tell us all about your connection to the people behind the scenes of the Macross universe.

Easy, Les Claypool III did the final sound mix for the English version of Macross Plus. He is also the lead singer of the band Primus, which I have seen in concert many times.

Cool, eh.....

Taksraven

Edit: Now I am reading statements to the fact that Les Claypool is not the same person as Les Claypool III who did the mix for Macross Plus. I am going to look into this. What a pity......

Edited by taksraven

Ah - I almost forgot to add the most important one.

I am a member of an elite secret society that meets via an extremely complex matrix of super-electronic machines called "computers" and we have access to loads of information about Macross - one of the members of this elite secret society that I belong to, a certain Garham I think his name is- is very well connected with ...er...other members...of the...secret society, up to and including a myserious figure - rarely if ever leaving the shadows named Shawn (note how the letters S,h,a, and w all form part of his name yet also form parts of the word 'shadow' )

VFTF1