How's that?

Superficially, the Mini-series stillsuits looked like fabrics from vintage clothing outlets, they were poorly fitted for function and the masks never sat correctly.

Into minutiae, the Mini-series stillsuits had no means of adjustment and there were no tubes at the neck. The Mini-series stillsuits appeared as ill-fitting jumpsuits and not prescision garments that needed to be properly worn to ensure efficient operation. The hood and mask could not be adjusted for open desert. There were no noticeable catch pockets. This is about what I can remember off the top of my head.

Digressing, yeah, they looked like pants, in the cockney sense of the word :)

Edited by Mr March

Superficially, the Mini-series stillsuits looked like fabrics from vintage clothing outlets, they were poorly fitted for function and the masks never sat correctly.

Into minutiae, the Mini-series stillsuits had no means of adjustment and there were no tubes at the neck. The Mini-series stillsuits appeared as ill-fitting jumpsuits and not prescision garments that needed to be properly worn to ensure efficient operation. The hood and mask could not be adjusted for open desert. There were no noticeable catch pockets. This is about what I can remember off the top of my head.

Digressing, yeah, they looked like pants, in the cockney sense of the word :)

Ah, true true. I never thought that, oddly enough, a tight seal might be needed in a desert. I'll also agree with you on the hood thing, but not the mask. Mask seemed tight enough around the head and face, but I wonder about the wisdom of wearing heavy cloaks in a desert. Still, you bring up good points.

• 5 years later...

Definitely worth a look. Though I hope they concentrate more upon the work that was done and what they envisioned instead of how the project fell apart. I watched a similar subject of documentary once titled "Lost in La Mancha" about Terry Gilliam's doomed film adaptation of Don Quixote; it was the most depressing movie I think I've ever seen :(

"Alien" without Giger's designs would've probably been a "not that bad" movie, too. You can do this by the numbers, or look at the stuff Giger, Moebius and Foss brought with them and take it on a totally different level, even if it contains only basic concepts from the source material.

For better or worse, the film industry (at least the American studio industry) is predisposed against artistry and primarily motivated to produce profit/entertainment. The mainstream audience is also predisposed against film art and only a minority actually want to see it. The only time the mainstream audience see art on film is either via independently financed films that find popularity, a production team that convinces/negotiates/manipulates/intimidates the big studios to allow their artistic vision or those rare instances when a studio's goals and the artist's goal just happen to align. IMO, blaming artists for bad films in a system that already stifles most art (and an audience that mostly don't care) is akin to blaming the victim.

And if you follow the source material without a hint of artistic vision you get "Dune - the miniseries".

Yeah. I will admit that the "But it's different to the book" crowd bores the crap out of me when it comes to film adaptations, but it can be done correctly and follow the original pretty closely. 1984 with Richard Burton is an excellent example. A great film, pretty close to the book and it was clear that the director knew the book inside and out.

Yeah. I will admit that the "But it's different to the book" crowd bores the crap out of me when it comes to film adaptations, but it can be done correctly and follow the original pretty closely. 1984 with Richard Burton is an excellent example. A great film, pretty close to the book and it was clear that the director knew the book inside and out.

What???? The 1984 David Lynch dune was a freaking travesty.

I will admit that the syfy mini-series had its faults, mostly due to budget, but I feel it was far closer to the source material. The Ornithopter actually had flapping wings and wasn't just a freaking flying wedge. The still suits actually looked like soemthing that could be worn in the desert and weren't black leather. It had distinct styles for all the different houses, and actually tried to show Paul age with how they dressed and did the actor's makeup. It actually treated the Wierding Way as a fighting style instead of a sound based weapon, seriously WTF was that? Oh and lets not forget, it Paul doesn't make it rain at the end.

Yes it did have Irulan do things that other characters did in the book, but that was in an effort to make her more than just window dressing and I think was done well.

Overall I will watch the mini over the David Lynch POS any day of the week.

What???? The 1984 David Lynch dune was a freaking travesty.

I will admit that the syfy mini-series had its faults, mostly due to budget, but I feel it was far closer to the source material. The Ornithopter actually had flapping wings and wasn't just a freaking flying wedge. The still suits actually looked like soemthing that could be worn in the desert and weren't black leather. It had distinct styles for all the different houses, and actually tried to show Paul age with how they dressed and did the actor's makeup. It actually treated the Wierding Way as a fighting style instead of a sound based weapon, seriously WTF was that? Oh and lets not forget, it Paul doesn't make it rain at the end.

Yes it did have Irulan do things that other characters did in the book, but that was in an effort to make her more than just window dressing and I think was done well.

Overall I will watch the mini over the David Lynch POS any day of the week.

No, Taksraven is talking about the movie 1984, not the '84 Dune movie...

No, Taksraven is talking about the movie 1984, not the '84 Dune movie...

That's what I thought he meant too. Though speaking of the '84 Dune movie, the concept of the sonic weapons was pretty cool (if useless) and allowed for some great RTS game fodder in the 90's. So not a complete travesty, just think of it like Dune-Side Story or something.