Macross Frontier in LEGOs

evirus

I share the same feelings. Maybe they should make it a series that competes with Heroes. Hiro? What Hiro? This is Rosarch!! :)

interesting yes

pretty... hmmm.... not so much .

LEGO really messed up not hiring him to design the Exo Force sets, which are now being cancelled.

Vostok 7

Yeah, but he did officially do some stuff called Van-Force with the Exo-force kits that came out, and ToysRus in Japan sold them in special Kawamori packaging. I believe there were custom decals made for the Kawamori versions, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/80164968/in/photostream/

I think originally they were just concepts he did for Figure Oh magazine and then Lego became officially interested. Don't quote me on that, though.

Edited by Renato

Does anyone know if any special parts were made for KM when he did the Van-force sets?

If not all you need is the scan of the instruction set and decals and you could buy the parts to make em on the Lego website. I cant say at the mo (as I'm at work) if my favorite Lego instruction site has them already or not, chances are Grand Admiral will know for sure.

Edited by big F

Yeah according to the writer of the blog it seems like there are a few areas where more or better parts could have been used, but it cannot be helped because Kawamori was limited to the pieces in those kits. He goes on to say that this design would have been much better and looked more "complete" had Kawamori had full control over exactly what pieces he could use. Maybe some day...?

As you mentioned Vostok 7, I think LEGO would have definitely done themselves a service by contracting Kawamori to design the 2007 EF line, or a different line of transforming mecha. As Grand Admiral can tell you, LEGO puts new concept sets through some rigorous testing before release, so some of his ideas may not have been compatible, but surely he could have produced some impressive models nonetheless. If nothing else, a UCS mini-fig scale transforming plane (maybe a cargo plane, as LEGO might frown on a fighter) would be uber-groovy.

Regarding the VAN-Force, no special pieces were used or created apart from those in the official Exo-Force sets. More's the pity, as I'd love to see some smaller ratcheting joints made. The friction technic pins work to a point, but can't bear much weight. The current ball joints are likewise. Yeah, I'm a LEGO geek.

Edited by M'Kyuun

As you mentioned Vostok 7, I think LEGO would have definitely done themselves a service by contracting Kawamori to design the 2007 EF line, or a different line of transforming mecha. As Grand Admiral can tell you, LEGO puts new concept sets through some rigorous testing before release, so some of his ideas may not have been compatible, but surely he could have produced some impressive models nonetheless. If nothing else, a UCS mini-fig scale transforming plane (maybe a cargo plane, as LEGO might frown on a fighter) would be uber-groovy.

I knew about the Van Force stuff, but I wouldn't call that "official LEGO".

I find it funny that LEGO has been classically "anti-war" and yet they have been successful at the Star Wars line, and of course came out with the Exo Force line (but that's vs. Robots, so it's OK :lol: ).

Unfortunately, latest word is the Exo Force line is being canceled soon. I think it was pretty good for what it was. The first few mechas were a little weak in design but some of the latest ones have been shaping up pretty nicely. The Aero Booster set for instance looks like something you'd find in Gundam:

8106-1.jpg

Just imagine what Kawamori-san could have done for the line, though.

Vostok 7

Didnt Kawamori design something for exo force? I remember seeing something on these forums about it.

Yeah, it was mentioned earlier in this thread. It wasn't official, but he made some custom transforming designs from a few of the early Exo-Force kits and they were packaged together with building instructions and stickers so they could be made. It was a limited Japan-only deal.

Vostok 7

Actually, the 2008 line is pretty decent. The 2007 line didn't do well, spelling its doom.

The marketing folks at LEGO seem to think that the most recent line didn't sell well because kids didn't understand the story. I think they should've had better sets. Nobody buys a LEGO set for the story. :wacko:

Edited by Grand Admiral

Nobody buys a LEGO set for the story. :wacko:

Exactly I always thought the story was you build the kit as per the instructions. Then mod it and finally build something much better with all the bits you have in your Lego box. At least thats how it was for me in the 70's and 80's.

The marketing folks at LEGO seem to think that the most recent line didn't sell well because kids didn't understand the story. I think they should've had better sets. Nobody buys a LEGO set for the story. :wacko:

I heartily agree. I've never followed the story at all. Kids might follow the story, but ultimately, I think it's what's on the box that sells the kit. While a few 2007 sets were ok, there were some real letdowns, ie the big battle wagon( I forget the actual name). Too, the 2006 line benefitted from the addition of really well made alternate models that sometimes looked better than the primary, as well as mecha created from the combination of 2 specific sets, all with online instructions. In other words, the first line was about building and possibilities with the sets themselves, backed by a story. The 2007 line did away with alternates, much like the whole of LEGO sets now, and replaced a good gimmick with code pieces that one must look up on the LEGO website. The codes, as I understand it, implied additional storyline abilities of the mecha, rather than contributing to the building process. So, by abandoning the very essence of what LEGO produces and promotes, a promising line failed. The 2008 sets are much improved, but too late to save the line.

• 2 weeks later...
I heartily agree. I've never followed the story at all. Kids might follow the story, but ultimately, I think it's what's on the box that sells the kit. While a few 2007 sets were ok, there were some real letdowns, ie the big battle wagon( I forget the actual name). Too, the 2006 line benefitted from the addition of really well made alternate models that sometimes looked better than the primary, as well as mecha created from the combination of 2 specific sets, all with online instructions. In other words, the first line was about building and possibilities with the sets themselves, backed by a story. The 2007 line did away with alternates, much like the whole of LEGO sets now, and replaced a good gimmick with code pieces that one must look up on the LEGO website. The codes, as I understand it, implied additional storyline abilities of the mecha, rather than contributing to the building process. So, by abandoning the very essence of what LEGO produces and promotes, a promising line failed. The 2008 sets are much improved, but too late to save the line.

The alternates of the original sets looked AMAZING. In fact, I actually had bought those original sets because the boxes said that instructions for the alternates would be posted on the LEGO site. Never happened :angry:

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

The alternates of the original sets looked AMAZING. In fact, I actually had bought those original sets because the boxes said that instructions for the alternates would be posted on the LEGO site. Never happened :angry:

Me too! Alternative models can really sell Lego sets, I think.

As much as I love LEGO, there are times that I think the company is successful in spite of what they do, and not because of it. <_<

:lol: However, I'm glad, as I know you are, that they have given the fans an unprecedented amount of influence over the direction of their products over the last decade, and perhaps that has worked in their favor. BTW, belated congrats on being selected to design the new Factory Space sets, a very neat approach by TLC to renew the Space theme. The only thing I lament is that Factory's pallette is still very limited, although I can understand why from TLC's POV. Still, the Space theme will definitely enhance the existing pallette..I look forward to the next upgrade on LDD, and my thanks to you ,Admiral, and Mr. Sandlin, for taking part in making that happen.

• 1 year later...

Firstly, EPIC.

Second:

Xman's VF-1|1/42|PT

Steve Vernava's VF-1S|1/18|PT

Bernard Wiseman's VF-1S|Scale Unknown|PT

John Draez's YF-19|Scale Unknown|PT

Sebastio Neto's VF-1S|Scale Unknown|PT

Sebastio Neto's VF-22|Scale Unknown|PT

In a crime against humanity, Gla Gla's VB-6 Koenig Monster has been deleted in some screwup by Mechahub.

Non-Variable:

Sebastio Neto's Ghost X-9|Scale Unknown

Zach Sweigart's VF-4|Scale Unknown

Stephen Chao's YF-19|Micro Scale

Stephen Chao's VF-171|Micro Scale

Stephen Chao's VF-1| Micro Scale

Stephen Chao's VF-25|Micro Scale

As a note, I only took aircraft, not Destroids. Had I, this would be a bigger list.

It stands as a testament to the awesome of Lego.