Name the VF-25

Zinjo

Graham, seraph means fire in hebrew because they are the angels of fire, and i think goes perfectly with the vf 25............ :rolleyes:

I'll admit, most of the official Valkyrie names in Macross have been really uninspired. I think "Nightmare" is about the only name in Macross that hasn't been used that much in other media but naming a black fighter nightmare isn't particularly creative either. Naming conventions are definitely not one of the things I like about the franchise. The naming scheme pretty much just follows real world conventional fighter designations, a naming convention which has itself long since run out of names (See re-use of "Lightning" for the F-35). Plus, nearly every fictional franchise has already used all these names over and over again (Gundam, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battletech, et cetera). And I mean, there's only so many bird names one can use and all have them have been used and beaten to death.

I kinda like Chimera as someone suggested or Gorgon, but they sound almost too fantasy-like in a way.

Also, perhaps names like Zealot, Eclipse, Reaver might work.

Something that also implies transformation while sounding like sci-fi such as Parallax (a change in angular position)

Maybe even have a little fun, like Xenophobe :) (okay, maybe not, but you have to admit it's kinda appropriate)

I'd welcome a move away from the naming schemes of typical military convention. However, to really work for me they'd likely have to go beyond one word names or at least choose something other than conventional titles, mythology or nostalgic words. Perhaps VF-25 Star Wind or something like that would work.

Good point about the fighter names...if we're going with US fighter names, then I would submit "Tigershark," since it's my favorite neglected warplane. (And yes, I'm a BIG Area 88 fan, which is why it's my favorite.)

Famous Japanese swords:

VF-25 Masamune

VF-25 Murasame

VF-25 Osafune

VF-25 Kikuichimonji

VF-25 Norimune

Mythical swords

VF-25 Kusanagi (the sword of Susanoo in Japanese mythology)

VF-25 Durendal (the unbreakable sword of Roland from one of the oldest pieces of French Literature "La Chanson de Roland")

VF-25 Gram/Balmung/Normung (the sword of Siegfried in Norse mythology)

I like the idea of sticking with Norse mythology, just because the 25 seems like a proper update of the Venerable VF-1.

VF-25 Woden

If I'm remembering correctly, Woden was one of the alternate (older) names for Odin. It always sounded more intimidating to me, than plane old Odin. I think Woden was also reffered to as The Hangman, so VF-25 Hangman.

In some takes on Norse mythology, the Vanir are represented as being the newer younger gods, as opposed to the older Aesir. VF-25 Vanir

Or, move into the more monsterous side of Norse mythology, call it the VF-25 Fenris or VF-25 Fenry. VF-25 Fenrirkind could also be used, wich I believe would make the plane an offspring of Fenris/Fenrir. (which ever name you preffer to use for the big ol' wolf)

Mythical weapons

VF-25 Magic Wishing Staff

VF-25 Wave Motion Gun

VF-25 Rambo

VF-25 Lightsaber

VF-25 Death Star

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I like Scimitar---since we've had the Cutlass and Excalibur for valks, I was thinking of another sword, so suggested Rapier, but couldn't think of any more "already used" real-life "swords for planes"----until Scimitar was mentioned. (F-86 Sabre, F7U Cutlass, XF-108 Rapier, F.1 Scimitar)

VF-25 viper

VF-25 strider

VF-25 valkyrie II

VF-25 rafale

VF-25 Donnerfalke

VF-25 cypher

VF-25 alcione

VF-25 berkut

VF-25 lancer

VF-25 thunderchief

VF-25 aurora

VF-25 bandai

VF-25 yamato

VF-25 phoenix

VF-25 gundam killer

VF-25 fokker

VF-25 messer

VF-25 stuka

VF-25 svezda

Doesn\'t Alto state he wishes he could fly \"Valkyries\" in the first episode? I realize many use the term to mean variable fighters (not just the VF-1), but maybe the VF-25 has \"Valkyrie\" in its name.

They should call it the VF-25 Valkyrie Girl or just Valkyrie Lady. (see below)

Because the pilots have to dress up as valkyrie girls (in the form of those EX Gear things) to pilot them. :D And because Alto is one it would suit the theme of the first episode, since people keep making fun of him.

armorladyboxf.jpg

The New UNS is desperate to get young girls to dress up as valks to fullfill its fantasies. Alto is chosen to pilot the new VF-25 after being mistaken for a chic. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Doesn't Alto state he wishes he could fly "Valkyries" in the first episode? I realize many use the term to mean variable fighters (not just the VF-1), but maybe the VF-25 has "Valkyrie" in its name.

The Valkyrie is synonymous with the Macross universe both in and out. The fighter was so iconic to humanity in the show that all variable fighters are referred to as "Valkyries".

I am liking the "Fenris" as well as the "Scimitar". If we are going with legendary weaponry what about the "Mjolnir" the thunder hammer of Thor?

The "Katana" is pretty cool too, so it the "Clarent" (King Arthur's sword of peace), "Kusanagi" a legendary Japanese sword.

The VF-2JA is called the "Icarus".

Edited by Zinjo

VF-25 Kawamori.

VF-25 "Hory Froating Head"?.. :ph34r:

Keeping within the in-joke/nod/tribute theme:

VF-25 Nue

VF-25 Ace

VF-25 Shonen/Shoujo Ace... Depending on the alleged gender of the pilot of course. ;)

Due to the fact that VF-25 has a very long nose :)

VF-25 Halcyon

Very original and great suggestion.

However.. my beer impeded mind immediately distorts it into VF-25 "(Wood)-pecker"... :ph34r:

Edited by T.V.