Not Macross.

So, this here drawing isn't Macross (probably better suited for a Transformers forum), but he was, at least, inspired by Macross designs. I've never really liked that most mecha designs cover up all the good stuff (i.e., the robotics inside a robot) with chunky armour, and find that Macross mechs seem more... plausible, mechanically speaking. You can see what's going on with the transformation, and sometimes get pleasant little peeks at the internal workings of the thing. That aesthetic in mind, I designed myself a happy little truck-fellow.

That said, take a look and enjoy. Incidentally, if anyone would like to take a crack at coloring him, let me know.

... And a quick sketch of the truck from whence he came. I had to sketch it fast, since I saw the truck coming home from work, and had forgotten alot of it by the time I got home.

Thanks for taking the time to peek at this nonsense.

Well part of the reason why all that armour is on transforming mecha is so that the transformation mechanisms last longer in combat conditions... But then again, cannon fodders don't seem to last very long anyways...

That being said, I LOVE the exposedness of the transformer (for lack of a better term). Please, pretty please with a cherry on top do more!

So, this here drawing isn't Macross (probably better suited for a Transformers forum), but he was, at least, inspired by Macross designs. I've never really liked that most mecha designs cover up all the good stuff (i.e., the robotics inside a robot) with chunky armour, and find that Macross mechs seem more... plausible, mechanically speaking. You can see what's going on with the transformation, and sometimes get pleasant little peeks at the internal workings of the thing. That aesthetic in mind, I designed myself a happy little truck-fellow.

That said, take a look and enjoy. Incidentally, if anyone would like to take a crack at coloring him, let me know.

that is sweet!

I gotta say, I love your linework. It's cartoony, but the details are great. Makes me want to pick up my pencil and start drawing stuff again, though I suck at 'em.

http://www.geocities.com/zenshinryouku/Untitled2.jpg

Behold! Fugliness! And thanks to geocities' odd setup, we have to copy and paste the link into the address bar. =/

Edited by rikiryou

SilentRage - Nice work, I especially like the highly unconventional head. The feet have that really cool Zeta Quadruple Super Duper Gundam feel, a design I've always loved.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yeah, there is a degree of Anime Magic in the transformation (I think you'll get that with pretty much any line drawing) but the transformation is, for the most part, mechanically sound. The crux of the whole thing is in the torso area, which has to partially collapse, then swing back to get the hips / gas tanks into position. the shins fold back against the thighs, and the bed swings down over that. With the legs positioned as they are, they also provide a platform to tilt the bed for emptying.