3d character mesh project

chillyche

Doesn't let me skip the errors, but don't worry. I'm starting from scratch because I have some pretty slick reference material I found on deviantart. I think this guy may be a MWer in the models forum as it was done for a 1/8th scale Misa custom.

http://celsoryuji.deviantart.com/

It will be easy to make, so give me a few hours of working time. I'll post some WIP shots later.

post-839-1209583802_thumb.jpg

post-839-1209583825_thumb.jpg

post-839-1209583862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinnie

Doesn't let me skip the errors, but don't worry. I'm starting from scratch because I have some pretty slick reference material I found on deviantart. I think this guy may be a MWer in the models forum as it was done for a 1/8th scale Misa custom.

It will be easy to make, so give me a few hours of working time. I'll post some WIP shots later.

Ha. I used the same reference materials.

That guy did awesome work.

post-7376-1209585234_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1209585253_thumb.jpg

Some years ago I uploaded my cockpit here in the forum (On the Mass CG Project thread), but that file seems to be no longer available.

cockpit.jpg

(Here in case hotlinking doesn't work)

It's in truespace format, but I can try to export it to .lwo or .3ds if you are interested.

Truespace? Wow. I got my start in 3d modeling on Truespace 2.

Seems like chillyche already has the cockpit covered in .max format.

WOZ, didn't you have a really sweet looking fan racer or fan liner as well?

Oh, did you finish it already!?!?

Nah, didn't finish. But I got pretty far. I didn't finish the chair, specifically the tanks and thrusters and arm thingies on the back, nor the eject lever on the seat. Neither the throttle nor the stick are modeled. Nothing has any sort of meshsmooth modifier on it (I didn't really know how to use that when I was making this thing). There's some weird poly face on the seat that you can't see, but is definitely connected strangely, some mistakenly collapsed vertex somewhere, that I didn't know how to hunt down and eliminate when I was working on this. The sides of the console are lacking detail. Jay-Lew's TV version cockpit also made mine look a little silly. Damn that guy can model.

I'll make a version without the illustrate materials...

post-7376-1209621826_thumb.jpg

Some years ago I uploaded my cockpit here in the forum (On the Mass CG Project thread), but that file seems to be no longer available.

cockpit.jpg

It's in truespace format, but I can try to export it to .lwo or .3ds if you are interested.

Whoa. That's an awesome model. Great cockpit detailing.

I would love to get a chance to import it into max.

Somebody was talking about using morphers in conjunction with their transformation sequence, in order to keep the jet mode looking pretty without causing the battroid to look ridiculous, and that sounds like an intriguing suggestion.

Does the import from 3ds to max usually work out well? I've found that using a 3ds format as an intermediary from another program tends to make the model a single element object with some funky geometry. Although, that may be more due to my lack of experience with many aspects of max (it's a big program) than anything else.

I thought it would be good to get Isamu into a YF-19 cockpit rather then an older VF style. So I took a bunch of screen shots I could find for reference for you just incase you wanted to build the cockpit of the 19.

Macplus1.jpg

I will link the rest since it would be one heck of a long post if I put them all in.

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

Screen shot

I hope that will help

I thought it would be good to get Isamu into a YF-19 cockpit rather then an older VF style. So I took a bunch of screen shots I could find for reference for you just incase you wanted to build the cockpit of the 19.

I hope that will help

Wow. That's going above and beyond. Thanks for the ref pics.

Somebody actually sent me a decent 19 model, but the cockpit was not accurate, looks like it was just a stock model from a contemporary fighter. I suppose I COULD combine the two together.

Edited by chillyche

cockpit.jpg

Out of curiosity...

This looks a lot like your cockpit...

Did you post that there, or did somebody post your stuff up on the sly? I downloaded that model, but it was in a poser format, and I had to jump through some hoops to get it into max, at which point it kinda bugged out.

Out of curiosity...

This looks a lot like your cockpit...

Did you post that there, or did somebody post your stuff up on the sly? I downloaded that model, but it was in a poser format, and I had to jump through some hoops to get it into max, at which point it kinda bugged out.

Yes, is mine, but I didn't posted it there, it probably was member scott8539, who asked for free macross models a while back (here), he converted most of those models to poser format. Those models are available here.

Vinnie: Yeah, my old, not so sweet (IMO) Fanracer is over here

chillyche: PM me if you want me to send you the VF-1 cockpit.

dammit, I really gotta learn how to do this stuff....I really do : /

Sure, but you're doing good work as it is.

Of course, with your stable of fx and voice talent, if you got into the CGI game, you'd be a full production house.

I think I need some artistic talent wouldnt I?

I can mix like the best of them, but drawing is different...espically mechanical.

Though id love to do stuff like this, like 15 minute lil episodes or something. That'd kickass.

I think I need some artistic talent wouldnt I?

I can mix like the best of them, but drawing is different...espically mechanical.

Though id love to do stuff like this, like 15 minute lil episodes or something. That'd kickass.

Careful... you might inadvertently start up a new fan project just like that. And our plates are all pretty full as is...

yet...

Yep.

That's Ryuji.

He's done several Macross custom kits:

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/280..._celsoryuji.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/280..._celsoryuji.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/280..._celsoryuji.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/281..._celsoryuji.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs22/f/2008/026..._celsoryuji.jpg

The last Macross one he was working on was of Millia in a White T-Shirt and bikini bottom, but we haven't heard from him since October of last year.

I was bugging him about releasing the cockpit as a kit with a simple helmet for those of us into Mecha Pron... :p

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken so long to put anything new up. I've been working on rigging the model to this cool animation rig, the Cryptic Animation Rig, which is the same rig they've been using in Cryptic Studios games like City of Heroes.

No new modeling to report.

Sorry it's taken so long to put anything new up. I've been working on rigging the model to this cool animation rig, the Cryptic Animation Rig, which is the same rig they've been using in Cryptic Studios games like City of Heroes.

No new modeling to report.

Did you got my email?

Did you got my email?

No, I didn't! Did you PM me? Or send it to my real email address? I checked in the junk folder to make sure it didn't end up there by mistake, but no dice. Try PMing me here, we'll see what's popping.

Rigging is going on...

I've resized the shins and the lower arms to be a little less cartoony, more like the line art, less like the statue/model of Isamu that's floating around out there.

Working on retooling the gloves to be a more realistic proportion. With luck, the whole thing will be rigged pretty soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the character is rigged, and I'm working on skinning. This junk is hard!

Things have been going a bit more slowly, as I've been helping my girlfriend in the garden since the weather got so nice, but now it sucks again, so I'm INDOORS, baby!

Okay, here's the first rigging/skinning test for your enjoyment. As you can maybe see (although that's a low-quality file... I cannot get youTube to play nicely with me), there's some tearing of the mesh on the left hand. I haven't finished weighting the vertices (spell check thinks that word is wrong, and would prefer I use the less technically correct "vertexes") on the actual head/neck area, so the skin is bursting out of the suit there, so that's a problem in hard vacuum.

Youtube link below:

Edited by chillyche

• 1 year later...

NECRO! What the heck, it's my own topic, so I can resurrect it if I want, right? RIGHT!?

Anyway, I joined this community over a year ago looking for some help with a project which is still ongoing (and has taken sort of the back burner to other Macross related stuff, hint hint, Aria, hint hint).

Here's the latest from that project:

Youtube is playing havoc with the brightness and contrast, so, pardon that, if you will.

NECRO! What the heck, it's my own topic, so I can resurrect it if I want, right? RIGHT!?

Anyway, I joined this community over a year ago looking for some help with a project which is still ongoing (and has taken sort of the back burner to other Macross related stuff, hint hint, Aria, hint hint).

Youtube is playing havoc with the brightness and contrast, so, pardon that, if you will.

My brain just exploded. :mellow:

That track is sick! Is it available for download/purchase anywhere? Unless my google-fu has failed, all I've found is a facebook page with no links or anything on it.

That track is sick! Is it available for download/purchase anywhere? Unless my google-fu has failed, all I've found is a facebook page with no links or anything on it.

The track is currently a well-guarded secret. I might release the mp3 before the video is finished, but, more than likely I'm going to sit on it. Unfortunately, I don't actually have the rights to that beat -- it's borrowed -- and none of the usual suspects have been able to produce something with the right flavor. If you're on facebook, you might as well become a fan there, because eventually that's where I'm going to start making stuff available, including the song itself.

I've been working on this darn thing for literally more than a year now, so I'm hoping to make some serious strides, and expect to complete at least a third of it before TOO LONG (whatever that means in the DIY CGI community). Solving a few technical issues is always good for a couple of major leaps forward (but new ones always arise).

HEHEHEHE!!!! made me smile! real fun!

that's kick ass wicked!