1/48 Roy Focker Weathering Special

wolfx

I wish I had bid on the ones that came up on eBay now. $460 doesn't seem all that bad considering that they will be only selling one per person. I'll bet getting your hands on one in the states is not going to be easy.

I wouldn't panic too much, lots of Macross fans in Japan are going to know to order one of these for every address they know of. It will definitely carry a heavy premium but where there is a will (and extra cash) there will be a way.

I wish I had bid on the ones that came up on eBay now. $460 doesn't seem all that bad considering that they will be only selling one per person. I'll bet getting your hands on one in the states is not going to be easy.

My sentiments exactly Squidd. Especially seeing that there's a "false" sense of collectibility for those who are in it just to make some money. Who knows how rare, if at all, these might become. But I sure wouldn't feel bad if I had shelled out close to $600 for one. I can't imagine what they will go for on Ebay now. :blink:

don't get him started...

f that, he doesn't need anything to get started. :p

BoB i'm not repeating my collection, in fact you can blame NMB4M with his 2 seater kit. I need to have another valk.

So i've decided i will use my Roy 1S for the body, and have the weathered (if i get it mind you!) as the tribute special.

I think what SaveRobotech is asking for is quite reasonable, seeing as it's hard to get, like placing orders from deceased

Japanese citizens no less. (joking!)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

C'mon guys I've seen better weathered valks on the customs page.

I agree. Ghostkiller's custom weathered Roy knocks Yamato's out the box, but it will never have the collectibility of Yamato's. For some of those who want it, myself included, the reason is for its collectibility. I used to collect Thomas Blackshear figurines. I paid $400.00 for this one figure the summer of 2000 called "Oh No She Didn't". It was retired after 4500 pieces were made. A few years ago the asking price for the figurine was $4000-$5000, but it can be purchased for under $3000 today.

My point is there are figurines out there that far outdo the "Oh No She Didn't" one that are significantly lower in price, but it doesn't change the fact that the figurine will always be one that will be highly desired by collectors. Kind of like the low vis 1.

I have to believe most everyone here is a collector and if they were in a position to cop a highly sought after fighter they would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not sure what to make of comments like "I'd save my money for something else", "I've seen better", "It's not worth it", or "I wouldn't pay that for it!". I believe it's a bunch of bologna. Ask yourself, if someone had one for sale right now for $50.00 would you buy it? If you answer yes then I am convinced those with all the negative comments in regards to Yamato's weathered Roy are making statements out of spite because they are not in a position to pay what they are going for, or for their own personal reasons not willing to pay the astronomical price.

I have never seen the credit card Valk, but if one came up for sale I would certainly be interested in it. Not because I particularly like or don't like it, but because I am a collector.

I say lighten up. If a guy is willing to spend his hard earned cash on something you might feel is particularly foolish, then he's the fool. It obviously is not a problem with him if he's willing to do it. If one day the weathered Roy is plentiful and available, it will be his loss. If not, it will be his gain, but don't hate on him for jumping at the opportunity to cop the fighter today.

Edited by MacrossMan

I have to believe most everyone here is a collector and if they were in a position to cop a highly sought after fighter they would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not sure what to make of comments like "I'd save my money for something else", "I've seen better", "It's not worth it", or "I wouldn't pay that for it!". I believe it's a bunch of bologna. Ask yourself, if someone had one for sale right now for $50.00 would you buy it? If you answer yes then I am convinced those with all the negative comments in regards to Yamato's weathered Roy are making statements out of spite because they are not in a position to pay what they are going for, or for their own personal reasons not willing to pay the astronomical price.

There is a difference between being a collector and being a completist. Oh, and if any brand new 1/48 scale VF-1 were for sale for $50, you better believe I'd get it (and possibly repaint it). :lol:

There is a difference between being a collector and being a completist. Oh, and if any brand new 1/48 scale VF-1 were for sale for $50, you better believe I'd get it (and possibly repaint it). :lol:

Even the weathered Roy? I doubt it. Maybe you could purchase two at that price. Store one away and customize the other. I feel you on being a completist vs. being a collector. I guess I fall some what in between. I'm working on the 1/48's right now, but I am finding it hard to shell out more money for the DYRL's. The only one I will probably get is Kakizaki. Outside of that I want the 25th Anniversary 1/48. Not too crazy about the 25th Anniversary, but I do want it as part of my collection.

By the way, you never answered my question about your Stealth YF-19. Would love to add something like that to my collection. We need to talk. B))

Edited by MacrossMan

Good point !!!!

why so much attention for yamato weathering

which is not the best !!!!

being sick = wanting this bird just because yamato has made up a restricted sale set up on this

you are all yamatoed

:lol:

I bet you would feel different if you did not have weathering skills that surpass Yamato's. Heck, even being a collector, if I had your talents and could "re-create" Yamato's designs I would be happy with my custom fighters. Especially seeing that yours look better. Beyond that, if I didn't have the funds I would do a few commissioned jobs to purchase one of Yamato's then lay low. As good as yours are, who knows, they might become desirably the next best thing. You never know.

Even the weathered Roy? I doubt it.

By the way, you never answered my question about your Stealth YF-19. Would love to add something like that to my collection. We need to talk. B))

If I understand your questions correctly, then the answer is No. My comment about repainting was meant to emphasize that, at $50 a pop, I'd buy an extremely ugly VF-1. My take on the whole worth-it-or-not-worth-it subject is fairly neutral. If someone will pay a $1,000 for one of these, then that is that person's business; I am not going to praise or condemn him/her. I will also state that the only interest I have in the Valkyrie in question is its exclusivity, meaning I would pay a premium for it; however, the amount of that premium is another issue.

I wouldn't take personal offense at those who say, "I wouldn't pay that." I truly believe that members who have made such statements are looking at it and asking themselves if the thrill of having this thing is worth some extra amount they would have to spend to have it. For members like myself, the $450 price range of the early ebay auctions is out of the question.

As far as your question about my -19, I'm not sure what your question was, but I will discuss it in a PM.

Edited by Wicked Ace

If I understand your questions correctly, then the answer is No. My comment about repainting was meant to emphasize that, at $50 a pop, I'd buy an extremely ugly VF-1. My take on the whole worth-it-or-not-worth-it subject is fairly neutral. If someone will pay a $1,000 for one of these, then that is that person's business; I am not going to praise or condemn him/her. I will also state that the only interest I have in the Valkyrie in question is its exclusivity, meaning I would pay a premium for it; however, the amount of that premium is another issue.

I wouldn't take personal offense at those who say, "I wouldn't pay that." I truly believe that members who have made such statements are looking at it and asking themselves if the thrill of having this thing is worth some extra amount they would have to spend to have it. For members like myself, the $450 price range of the early ebay auctions is out of the question.

As far as your question about my -19, I'm not sure what your question was, but I will discuss it in a PM.

Yeah, I remember when I found the Low Vis 2 for $59.99 you inquired about it because you wanted to do a custom job with one for that price. Your sentiments about not caring either way is where I am at about those who think it's worth it. I've said it before, but I'll say it again that I am still fairly new to all this stuff. I still refer to the weathered Roy as having a false sense of collectibility or exclusiveness in hopes that it will eventually be available for purchase at real world prices. But I would lying if I said if one came up for sale right now that I wouldn't be in the race to cop it. Will I regres the purchase a year from now ? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. I wish I could have been around when the Low Vis 1 or TRS 1/60 came about to have a better feel for how this thing might possibly go.

I'll PM you about the Stealth 19.

Edited by MacrossMan

I dunno, with all this talk about new 2 seaters and 1 seaters for the 1/48 line even being made by Yamato officially,

i think i'll just pass on this one, Sorry SaveRobotech man. :(

Where can we find official info from Yamato about the release of new 2 seater fighters?

yeah, I'm quickly losing interest in this. too many new things to get and paying up the nose for some weathering doesn't seem so important now.

What if the new stuff is priced through the roof? Let's say the VF-1D and Elintseeker are released in 1/48 scale as a true limited editiions for $750.00 each. I wonder if there would be the same gripes about the astronomical price. Seeing that these two have become the holy grail to have in any collection I imagine they would be nearly impossible to come by; more so than the weathered Roy. I can only imagine how beautiful Yamato would do these in 1/48 scale.

What if the new stuff is priced through the roof? Let's say the VF-1D and Elintseeker are released in 1/48 scale as a true limited editiions for $750.00 each. I wonder if there would be the same gripes about the astronomical price. Seeing that these two have become the holy grail to have in any collection I imagine they would be nearly impossible to come by; more so than the weathered Roy. I can only imagine how beautiful Yamato would do these in 1/48 scale.

It'd be great to finally have the 2 seater made No question

But I dont see myself shelling out a lot for it either.

I'll get them if they pricing is inline with past Valks.

Limited edition two-seaters wouldn't make any sense for Yamato. Making a limited edition repaint is much easier for them, they just do another production run with the old molds and put some extra paint (weathering) on it. Making 1/48 two-seaters would require them to make completely new molds which is very costly, meaning they would need to sell large numbers and/or multiple releases to get some sort of return on their investment.

You will all see! The 1/48s will eventually be worth nothing! Nothing! This entire Macross craze will end on August 29th, 2010! It has been so prophesized!

All of our Valkyries will be worth pennies as interest in Macross suddenly dies simultaneously at midnight on August 29th 2010!

Repent o Macross Fans for the day of reckoning is upon us! Will there not be one Macross fan left to fan the flames of consumer demand? No! We shall all be consumed!

By what you ask? Disease? The Swarm? Armegeddon!?

No!

We will be consumed by Jaycross! Jaycross is a new series set to debute on August 30th 2010 about a cross-dressing alien named jay and how he tries to cross the street but can't because he's an alien and doesn't know what a street is, let alone - how to cross one!

Jaycross merchandise will be in demand! Macross fans will look upon their collections and grieve - grieve that they cannot afford a Jaycross toy! People will jump from windows!

The Jaycross Crisis is upon us! Listen to my words! Quickly give up all of your Valkyrie to me - just PM me for shipping address - before it is too late!

VFTF1

Limited edition two-seaters wouldn't make any sense for Yamato. Making a limited edition repaint is much easier for them, they just do another production run with the old molds and put some extra paint (weathering) on it. Making 1/48 two-seaters would require them to make completely new molds which is very costly, meaning they would need to sell large numbers and/or multiple releases to get some sort of return on their investment.

Come on now?!?!? We're not talking about a mom and pop shop building molds in the basement and taking a gamble by putting up their own capital. We're talking a Japanese toy giant; namely Yamato. I don't know their worth, but I imagine it is a multi-million dollar toy company with serious capital to invest in development. I am clueless when it comes to toy design, but logically thinking a two-seater mold could be created from an existing 1/48 mold with a few modifications. Their return is all but guarnteed 10 fold with just the VF-1D, Super VF-1D, and Elintseeker alone. Those three would whisk away from toy shops in droves at $450.00 each. I'm stateside so Yamato doesn't do any marketing here, but I imagine these toys aren't marketed in Japan as a toy to "play" with to children. Their core demographics probably point to working males who collect as a hobby. I don't know of any kid who could afford a $150-$200 toy to bust up or any parent that would spend that kind of money on something that will ultimately end up broken.

All that to say this: chances are Yamato is not hurting for money and they have the capital to invest in "modifying" a mold that will ultimately line their coffers with some serious cash. Whether or not they will do it is another question. So I pose the question again: Where can we find "official" information that 1/48 two seaters will be produced?

Come on now?!?!? We're not talking about a mom and pop shop building molds in the basement and taking a gamble by putting up their own capital. We're talking a Japanese toy giant; namely Yamato. I don't know their worth, but I imagine it is a multi-million dollar toy company with serious capital to invest in development. I am clueless when it comes to toy design, but logically thinking a two-seater mold could be created from an existing 1/48 mold with a few modifications. Their return is all but guarnteed 10 fold with just the VF-1D, Super VF-1D, and Elintseeker alone. Those three would whisk away from toy shops in droves at $450.00 each. I'm stateside so Yamato doesn't do any marketing here, but I imagine these toys aren't marketed in Japan as a toy to "play" with to children. Their core demographics probably point to working males who collect as a hobby. I don't know of any kid who could afford a $150-$200 toy to bust up or any parent that would spend that kind of money on something that will ultimately end up broken.

All that to say this: chances are Yamato is not hurting for money and they have the capital to invest in "modifying" a mold that will ultimately line their coffers with some serious cash. Whether or not they will do it is another question. So I pose the question again: Where can we find "official" information that 1/48 two seaters will be produced?

Well, I'm sorry but you're wrong. :rolleyes:

First of all, Yamato is considered to be a small to medium player on the hi-end toy market. Bandai is the toy giant.

Second, a mold can not be modified to create a new toy. Creating a mold is a very very expensive process so you don't just modify it to make a slightly different toy, because you wouldnt be able to use it anymore for the original toy you created it for.

Third, the two-seater VF's can't all be created from one mold. The VF-1D and Elint Seeker, for example, are two completely different VF's, sure, they're both two-seaters, but that's about the only feature they share.

The only "official" confirmation we've had regarding 1/48 two seaters is from Graham stating Yamato won't produce any.

Nah, you're all over thinking the whole thing. The real reason why this Focker 1/48 is so limited and darn expensive is because of all the valks in macross, this one is the most dangerous to make because of all the lead - just look at the amount of yellow they used for Focker! Your money will go to Yamato's investment in radioactive protective suits that their painters in China wear and the paid-up insurance it took to cover (both their arses and the suits). With the spending habit that could bring national budgets to their kness, one can't be blamed to assume that Yamato is big time. Even though they're not.