Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Yep, and before he got started on the tool there would have been pattern makers who had to scratch build the original pattern. Before SLA/SLS technology was developed the skills that some of the folks here on the boards have was highly sought after, and remunerated. Things sure have changed since the eighties. Nowadays 3-D printing tech. is starting to make it into homes.

Yeah he used to do the patern making too. I worked there for a few years in the early 90's and got involved in renovation of some of the older tools, Acording to my boss who worked with my dad when he was there, the oldest tools and molds were the best due to the amount of time spent on them. The newer ones were always desingned with removable parts and sections, and a constant supply of these bits were in production.

Its a shame that the Computerization of it all has lead to a decline in some of the "real" skills. Not that CAD and its various cousins are unskilled but the whole hands on thing is getting pushed away in many businesses, not just mold making etc.

I hope 3 in 1... since as we all know, variable kits are basically toys... and toys are for chumps.

Dude you quote a comment from page 3? It's been well known for a while now this is a perfect transformation model, as in variable. I think though there will be differences from this model and the DX toy (besides scale). I think the DX toy will be sturdier and tougher than this model.

Dude you quote a comment from page 3? It's been well known for a while now this is a perfect transformation model, as in variable. I think though there will be differences from this model and the DX toy (besides scale). I think the DX toy will be sturdier and tougher than this model.

you don't know me very well... just ask grayson what I mean.

you don't know me very well... just ask grayson what I mean.

I don't know you at all. Since that is a fact I naturally would have to assume you are just not up to speed about this model so I told you what we know about that detail of it so far. Simple as that.

Off-topic, but just out of curiosity -

If I were to model a Valkyrie in 3-D, would anyone around here have the capability to create a solid model using the STL files? I work with 3-D CAD professionally and have done some pretty advanced stuff with it, and would love a chance to realize a design of my own invention. I know we've got some good recasters around these parts, and it'd be kinda cool to have a MWF-generated Valkyrie design, but I can't use my company's 3-D printers or SLA facilities for personal projects, and getting it done out-of-house would be prohibitively expensive.

I've been working with a 3D router. It's not as sweet as STL or any of the other RP machines. But it is workable.

post-459-1214328176_thumb.jpg

DIO - Look online. You can have items printed online fairly cheap. Fine Scale Modeler did an article on it a while back. You just have to clean up the lines with a light sand. Check it out and ask for quotes.

Cobywon - You're livin' my dream. I've been saving for a 3D engraver! Someday... I can do some awesome stuff with laser engravers (when I have access), but there's much more capability with a 3D unit!

Big-F - Yep it's sad that there's less need for such awesome artistry! I know the US mint still uses handmade patterns - all done in metal (even harder to work with). - MT

Edited by MechTech

From the MF blog:

PLAMO_VF25FIGHTER001.jpgPLAMO_VF25BATTROID001.jpg

Action Base not included.

Battroid looks great.

Fighter looks better, but I still need to see it in other angles, to see if it's bulky or not. :unsure: (photography makes wonders!! :lol: )

Edited by cool8or

I think those are the same prototypes we've all seen, just in different context. They look awesome though.

I think you're right. Surely the crappy canopy plastic is just for the prototype? It really helps make it look like a toy at the moment.

I've been working with a 3D router. It's not as sweet as STL or any of the other RP machines. But it is workable.

I've seen some other jobs done by routers... one of the Transformer fans a while back made a scratch-designed Optimus Prime train version from the Hearts of Steel miniseries, looked pretty sweet.

Is that a Colonial Viper you're making there? :)

We might talk further if I get around to modeling this bad boy - mind sending me a PM regarding your base material costs, what sort of files you work with, quality level, etc? I've digressed from the topic at hand enough already.

Look online. You can have items printed online fairly cheap. Fine Scale Modeler did an article on it a while back. You just have to clean up the lines with a light sand. Check it out and ask for quotes.

I've looked into some rapid-prototyping places already, but they all seem geared more toward businesses and less toward one-off personal projects. I'll fish around for quotes just to cover all my bases, but have so far been pretty disappointed with my options.

Edited by Dio

I think you're right. Surely the crappy canopy plastic is just for the prototype? It really helps make it look like a toy at the moment.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, hating the blue/green canopy - I hope this is the same prototype that we've been seeing everywhere. It really makes it a toy, and I'd hate to have to try and vac-form a clear canopy... argh!! why can't toys be toys and models be for the big boys? ;-)

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, hating the blue/green canopy - I hope this is the same prototype that we've been seeing everywhere. It really makes it a toy, and I'd hate to have to try and vac-form a clear canopy... argh!! why can't toys be toys and models be for the big boys? ;-)

Because, sadly, some people think Lego and Gunpla are models. :ph34r:

DIO - Look online. You can have items printed online fairly cheap. Fine Scale Modeler did an article on it a while back. You just have to clean up the lines with a light sand. Check it out and ask for quotes.

Cobywon - You're livin' my dream. I've been saving for a 3D engraver! Someday... I can do some awesome stuff with laser engravers (when I have access), but there's much more capability with a 3D unit!

Big-F - Yep it's sad that there's less need for such awesome artistry! I know the US mint still uses handmade patterns - all done in metal (even harder to work with). - MT

Cobywan Cool work I really want a 3d mill/router table along with a lathe a new virtical drill/mill and a nice workshop and a sandblaster and .....

MechTech IIRC the UK mint also do it the old way too.

I don't know you at all. Since that is a fact I naturally would have to assume you are just not up to speed about this model so I told you what we know about that detail of it so far. Simple as that.

LTSO just doesn't do toys is all.

You don't consider Gunpla as models?

Not in the stricktest sense. They are action figures that you have to assemble. The notion that drawing lines on the figure with a pen is adding a finish to the subject is a bit lame. I love them though. Gunpla serves as theropy for me when I don't really want to stress out about my hobby.

Let's illustrate the point. When Hasegawa put out the first Valkyrie fighter kit, there were so many Gundam hobbyists that were at a loss about building models that Hobby Japan had to run an article on model building basics.

I know that my point of view on the subject is REALLY narrow. I try not to come across as arrogant about it though.

Let's illustrate the point. When Hasegawa put out the first Valkyrie fighter kit, there were so many Gundam hobbyists that were at a loss about building models that Hobby Japan had to run an article on model building basics.

Wow, is this really true? Those Hasegawa valks are not that hard to put together.

Wow, is this really true? Those Hasegawa valks are not that hard to put together.

I supose they are if your idea of hard is deciding what colour pen to paint your model with.

Not in the stricktest sense. They are action figures that you have to assemble. The notion that drawing lines on the figure with a pen is adding a finish to the subject is a bit lame. I love them though. Gunpla serves as theropy for me when I don't really want to stress out about my hobby.

I know that my point of view on the subject is REALLY narrow. I try not to come across as arrogant about it though.

So a "model" for you is something you have to glue (non snap), fill/ putty, sand, prime and paint? IMO Bandai has made so many engineering advances that makes the hobby easier and less stressful. They give you an option of whether or not to build a kit OOB. All of the most impressive works are custom jobs and require hours and hours of work. Just because they are easy to put together doesn't make them any less of a model. Bandai eliminated the need to glue, fill obvious seem lines, and masking. Those needs came about due to plain and simple engineering. Action figures are toys. Toys do not come in plastic trees in which you have to cut and assemble.

I have no problem with the Toy Boys. Similarly, I also have no problem with gay marriage... it's just not for me.

lmao :lol:

"Once, I watched two guys kissing in the park. Until now, that was the gayest thing I'd ever seen..." EC

Edited by cowie165

So a "model" for you is something you have to glue (non snap), fill/ putty, sand, prime and paint? IMO Bandai has made so many engineering advances that makes the hobby easier and less stressful. They give you an option of whether or not to build a kit OOB. All of the most impressive works are custom jobs and require hours and hours of work. Just because they are easy to put together doesn't make them any less of a model. Bandai eliminated the need to glue, fill obvious seem lines, and masking. Those needs came about due to plain and simple engineering. Action figures are toys. Toys do not come in plastic trees in which you have to cut and assemble.

Bandai eliminated the challenge in the hobby. Building Gunpla is like cooking McDonalds burgers. Tamaiya is like cooking at a 4 star resturaunt. The skill sets in these kitchens are VERY different.

All toys come on a sprue and need to be clipped and assembled. It's just done in a factory with robots and slave labor. You can't use that argument. If someone just throws the Gunpla together, they haven't used any model making skills other than using clippers and reading instructions. When they get painted and given a great finish then I would argue a model was built. I would even suggest that a person could buy an action figure, fix the seams and repaint it and the result could be called a model if the sculpt is accurate enough.

Bandai does make great model kits. Look at the Hardgraph line. That's them gunning for Tamaiya quality in the Gundam universe.

The key to me is the set of skills being used more than anything.

p.s. you can glue a snap together kit too.

Bandai eliminated the challenge in the hobby. Building Gunpla is like cooking McDonalds burgers. Tamaiya is like cooking at a 4 star resturaunt. The skill sets in these kitchens are VERY different.

All toys come on a sprue and need to be clipped and assembled. It's just done in a factory with robots and slave labor. You can't use that argument. If someone just throws the Gunpla together, they haven't used any model making skills other than using clippers and reading instructions. When they get painted and given a great finish then I would argue a model was built. I would even suggest that a person could buy an action figure, fix the seams and repaint it and the result could be called a model if the sculpt is accurate enough.

Bandai does make great model kits. Look at the Hardgraph line. That's them gunning for Tamaiya quality in the Gundam universe.

The key to me is the set of skills being used more than anything.

p.s. you can glue a snap together kit too.

There is also a difference in intent. Models are designed for display only. You're supposed to build them, put a nice finish and let them sit to look pretty. I'd argue even the Hasegawa Battroids are display pieces. They are very fragile and not designed to be moved around much.

Gunplas are designed to be handled and played with. They are sturdily built, and encourage you to take them apart and play with them. Why else would you have removable armour and interchangeable weapons.

This comes with the trade off minimal details and simplified construction.

Thats part of my problem with the Bandai VF-25: by making a transformable model, you're immediately aiming at the type of consumer that resides in the second paragraph rather than the first.

Edited by Noyhauser

Let's not stray off-topic too much.

HWKR was pessimistic about Bandai at the start of this thread, and I brought up the EX series to counter his attitude. Now I feel like I share his pessimism. If only they would release the damn thing! Then we could have accurate opinions. Anyway, I'm eyeing off the purple 'mysterious' valkyrie we've seen recently as another modelling possibility, it looks very cool.

I'd say model kits are more like microwave dinners, yeah you've got to heat them, but the bulk of the cooking's already done for you. In Bandai's case, they've almost perfected the microwave dinner, you truly only have to heat them to get something you can eat. In Tamaiya's case there's more preparation you have to do to get an equivalent result.

Either way, a model kit is more comparable to a coloring book than some kind of a venerable art form, and I think it's silly to argue that since one coloring book has more legible lines that it takes all the challenge out of filling in the colors and that it's not true coloring at all. The entire point of a model kit is to make model-making easier. I'm sure when injection kits first came out, modelers didn't consider them 'real' models either.

Of course, props to those who can make a fill-in-a-color page look like a Rembrant, and those who add their own lines etc., etc.; I'm not trying to devalue their work, I build kits too, I'm just calling it as it is.

EDIT: yeah, back on topic, any word of a Q-Rea kit? I kind of have a feeling Banda will go through all the Valks and the Vajra before getting to them, though :(

Edited by xyh

although, all this prototype pics look slightly promising, I still don't think Bandai will make a quality Macross model/toy, they seem to be showing, as always lack of interest in developing this properly, example of this, Gandam 00 was halfway through the series and there were already releasing their fugly mechs, and Macross is close to halfway already and all we got are crappy rivet filled unfinished prototype.... Bandai has no love for Macross

although, all this prototype pics look slightly promising, I still don't think Bandai will make a quality Macross model/toy, they seem to be showing, as always lack of interest in developing this properly, example of this, Gandam 00 was halfway through the series and there were already releasing their fugly mechs, and Macross is close to halfway already and all we got are crappy rivet filled unfinished prototype.... Bandai has no love for Macross

It could be worse. Code Geass didn't get any models until shortly before season 2.