Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

NOTE FROM THE ADMIN - THE BELOW LIST IS NOT REAL, JUST THE POSTER'S FANTASY MADE UP WISH LIST

Graham

Sep - VF-25F (Alto)

Nov - VF-25S (Ozma)

Dec/Jan - VF-25F super (alto)

Jan - VF-25G (Michel) *is the super version wishful thinking?* (yes it is)

Mar - RVF-25 (Luca)

May - VF-27 (Brera)

July - VF-171 (standard)

Aug - VF-25S Super + Full Armor - (Ozma)

Oct - VF-171 EX (alto)

Dec - VF-25G super (michel) and RVF-25 (Luca)

RVF-171 EX - (luca)

VF-27 Green Variant

never coming

Vajra (I'm sad about this one

Queadluun-Rea

AIF-7S Ghost Fighter - Perhaps a three-pack expansion pack to go with Luca?

Koenig Monster (Start saving money if they do release it!)

Quarter - Not as 1/72... ^_^

revisions in red.

also there will be special metallic finished versions of alto and ozma somewhere in there (and the will look like ass)

Just finished mine. So far I broke the hinge for the right front foot. Then I broke the tab that attaches the fuselage to the codpiece for battroid mode. But with a dremel , gluing and a piece of a paperclip the battroid mode does not flop and the hinge holds. Did anyone else manage to break something transforming the VF-25?

post-938-1224014014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lodizah

Well, I got one today. I ordered from HLJ's first batch. It was listed as back ordered, but when I clicked on it, the main page showed it as "low stock". this was Sept. 21st by the way. I went ahead and ordered and I guess I got lucky. It shipped SAL, and showed up on Saturday, but I had to wait until today to pick it up (Damn you Columbus!). Haven't taken it out of the shrink wrap yet, but I am definitely a happy camper at this point.

Mine will be fully painted with testors enamel and lacquer, acrylic clear coat, and an oil paint wash. Of course, talk is cheap when it comes to model building plans!

Just finished mine. So far I broke the hinge for the right front foot. Then I broke the tab that attaches the fuselage to the codpiece for battroid mode. But with a dremel , gluing and a piece of a paperclip the battroid mode does not flop and the hinge holds. Did anyone else manage to break something transforming the VF-25?

Nope. Transformed it about 10 times or so and nothing broken so far.

Graham

likewise, hinges are holding up just fine even the tail fits and main flaps on the wings are just doing peachy. I've transformed it about a dozen times to get use to it and to help stop looking at the instructions.

NOTE FROM THE ADMIN - THE BELOW LIST IS NOT REAL, JUST THE POSTER'S FANTASY MADE UP WISH LIST

Graham

Sep - VF-25F (Alto)

Nov - VF-25S (Ozma)

Dec/Jan - VF-25F super (alto)

Jan - VF-25G (Michel) *is the super version wishful thinking?* (yes it is)

Mar - RVF-25 (Luca)

May - VF-27 (Brera)

July - VF-171 (standard)

Oct - VF-171 EX (alto)

RVF-171 EX - (luca)

VF-27 Green Variant

never coming

Vajra (I'm sad about this one

Queadluun-Rea

AIF-7S Ghost Fighter - Perhaps a three-pack expansion pack to go with Luca?

Koenig Monster (Start saving money if they do release it!)

Quarter - Not as 1/72... ^_^

revisions in red.

also there will be special metallic finished versions of alto and ozma somewhere in there (and the will look like ass)

Is this confirmed or still a wish list? :mellow:

I've been a lurker here for quite the longest time... Wanted to collect Macross toys but a couple years back gave up completely with my limited time to scour the world *cough*internet*cough* and finding a store/person who can ship one to this old backwater country of mine. Now with a lot of Bandai plastic model hobby stores all over my city my spirit is burning up again, as they bound to sell the Macross F kits.... Inflated price or not, I'm still going to get it (I got a compounding monthly budget of 2000 yen to buy model kits... Per agreement with my wife... At least she's still letting me buy stuff).

So just wanted to know what comes after the VF25? Quite hard to follow Macross news... Everywhere it's just Gundam 00 or Naruto news, seems like Macross doesn't have much fan base following it anymore (they all seem to migrate here :lol: )

Is this confirmed or still a wish list? :mellow:

I've been a lurker here for quite the longest time... Wanted to collect Macross toys but a couple years back gave up completely with my limited time to scour the world *cough*internet*cough* and finding a store/person who can ship one to this old backwater country of mine. Now with a lot of Bandai plastic model hobby stores all over my city my spirit is burning up again, as they bound to sell the Macross F kits.... Inflated price or not, I'm still going to get it (I got a compounding monthly budget of 2000 yen to buy model kits... Per agreement with my wife... At least she's still letting me buy stuff).

So just wanted to know what comes after the VF25? Quite hard to follow Macross news... Everywhere it's just Gundam 00 or Naruto news, seems like Macross doesn't have much fan base following it anymore (they all seem to migrate here :lol: )

just rampant speculation on my part.

the VF-25S Ozma is confirmed for next month, it it's most likely that Michel will be after that fallowed by luca. no word yet on super/armor parts. nor has there been any word on whether or not there will be any mechs other than the VF-25. (I'm hopeing for a 27 and a vajra mech myself)

based on normal bandai practice with gundams though we can probably expect 1 new release every other month or so.

just rampant speculation on my part.

The more detailed your speculation is, and the less obvious any notice in the post that it is indeed purely speculation, the more likely your post will be miss-quoted as fact.

Just something to keep in mind.

Well, to be fair with anime52k8, his speculations are all in keeping with Bandai's practices of releasing model kits and variants. (MG Strike Gundam variants, nuff said...)

I for one expect the VF-25F Alto Custom + Super/FAST pack variant, which only requires designing the FAST pack to fit on the existing Alto custom model, as well as VF-25G Michel Custom (only the head has a major difference in design aside from color) as candidates for next in line release. A VF-25S Ozma Custom Armored might take longer to get released given the sheer number of parts and design work involved, as well as the RVF-25 Luca Custom. As for a separate FAST Pack only release / add-on kit, I'd wager that Bandai would probably just include it in one kit release, since they'd earn more that way. You'd have to buy as many of the FAST pack variant kit in order to be able to dress up the other kits that were released as normal version only :p

Edited by valkyriepilot

As for a separate FAST Pack only release / add-on kit, I'd wager that Bandai would probably just include it in one kit release, since they'd earn more that way. You'd have to buy as many of the FAST pack variant kit in order to be able to dress up the other kits that were released as normal version only :p

My thoughts exactly. The smart thing to do is to include the super pack in a kit that has very few gimmicks (like the regular VF-171) to make it more desirable. If Bandai does decide to release a VF-25F with Super Pack then the regular VF-25F will most likely be dropped from the range. Of course they will try to delay this as long as possible.

NOTE FROM THE ADMIN - THE BELOW LIST IS NOT REAL, JUST THE POSTER"S FANTASY MADE UP WISH LIST

Graham

May - VF-27 (Brera)

July - VF-171 (standard)

Oct - VF-171 EX (alto)

well... the super-packs will likely be ably to be modified to be removeable, like the VF-0S ones... so i think i'll be waiting for the Brera VF-27 before i start picking these up... which is good, cause my wallet needs a rest

Well, to be fair with anime52k8, his speculations are all in keeping with Bandai's practices of releasing model kits and variants. (MG Strike Gundam variants, nuff said...)

Actually... I'm a little doubtful about Bandai will apply similar practice to the Macross Frontier line. I've been following Gundam and Gundam plastic model since 9 years ago... And one recent practices that I noticed is that, Bandai is pushing model kits alongside the show so the kit itself has more of a "connected" feeling with the onscreen persona. For the hardcore modelers it means to re-enact epic scenes as quickly as it shows on the screen... For the kids... Well... For them to re-enact epic scenes by smashing it as quickly as it shows on the screen.

Well... Bandai do realize that those who spent for the MG lines are serious modelers so they will wait for a proper model to be released in MG form. Seeing that Macross F intricacy is a step above MG lines... Perhaps Bandai will make all the "hero" units for the Macross F, after all, there's only there's only three types of variable fighters VF25, VF27, and VF171. The super packs and the recon radome unit are considered universal attachment. So Bandai can cash in on recolors and everybody will be happy.

WARNING

To all members. Please do not post these made up, fantasy release schedules. Otherwise this is going to cause all sorts of confusion to members that do not read posts very carefully.

By all means post a list of kits you would like to see released, but please don't put false, made up dates next to them. That is just creating misinformation and adding to to the general confusion

Note, the only official release dates for the model kits quoted so far are: -

Nov 08: reissue of Alto VF-25F.

Nov 08: first issue of Ozma VF-25S.

There has been NO official news of any other model kit releases so far.

The next post containing a false or misleading release schedule will be deleated. Repeat offenders will get a temp ban. There is enough confusion about releases already, without adding to it.

Graham

I'm sure we will see Super and hopefully Armored versions of Alto's VF-25F and Ozma's VF-25S from Bandai at some point. As to whether all the Super and Armoured parts will be fully removable, I have my doubts.

I'm sure we will also see Michaels' VF-25G and Luca's RVF-25 in kit form, but beyond that it's still unknown if Bandai will release other mecha from the show.

Graham

I messed around with the kit a bit more, taking closer looks, maybe parts could be wrongly placed or something to help close those gaps on the hip and shield in fighter mode.

I guess if you just align the limbs right, and make sure the shoulder bits are leveled correctly, along with the arms as they tuck under the body, and the legs are tightly secured into the hip joints...you sort of close the gaps on the hip kibble and the shield to the body.

HOWEVER I've seen that by doing so, you completely ruin the purpose of having the gunpod stowed under the belly.

Then again, I thought the whole idea of having extra parts to keep t he damn thing in place was stupid to begin with.

Although you really just need that back part if you're going to set it onto the ground.

The first piece that goes onto the gunpod which acts as the important piece of the stand isn't going to go anywhere if you securely tighten the areas that I just typed above. It just wont fit securely onto the under belly and thus the gunpod really just wobbles.

This is getting really annoying and I so wanna know what these modelers are doing to help close out those damn gaps.

WARNING

To all members. Please do not post these made up, fantasy release schedules. Otherwise this is going to cause all sorts of confusion to members that do not read posts very carefully.

By all means post a list of kits you would like to see released, but please don't put false, made up dates next to them. That is just creating misinformation and adding to to the general confusion

Note, the only official release dates for the model kits quoted so far are: -

Nov 08: reissue of Alto VF-25F.

Nov 08: first issue of Ozma VF-25S.

There has been NO official news of any other model kit releases so far.

The next post containing a false or misleading release schedule will be deleated. Repeat offenders will get a temp ban. There is enough confusion about releases already, without adding to it.

Graham

I blame SDF-ONE, he started it! :p

j/k

seriously though... I think it would be cool if they came out with some regular non-snap kits of the non transforming aircraft?

I'd like to see the different ghosts and that one fighter from galaxy fleet (the one that folds to frontier fleet to tell them that galaxy was attacked) in regular glue and paint model form.

I messed around with the kit a bit more, taking closer looks, maybe parts could be wrongly placed or something to help close those gaps on the hip and shield in fighter mode.

I guess if you just align the limbs right, and make sure the shoulder bits are leveled correctly, along with the arms as they tuck under the body, and the legs are tightly secured into the hip joints...you sort of close the gaps on the hip kibble and the shield to the body.

HOWEVER I've seen that by doing so, you completely ruin the purpose of having the gunpod stowed under the belly.

Then again, I thought the whole idea of having extra parts to keep t he damn thing in place was stupid to begin with.

Although you really just need that back part if you're going to set it onto the ground.

The first piece that goes onto the gunpod which acts as the important piece of the stand isn't going to go anywhere if you securely tighten the areas that I just typed above. It just wont fit securely onto the under belly and thus the gunpod really just wobbles.

This is getting really annoying and I so wanna know what these modelers are doing to help close out those damn gaps.

Real modelers would buy 3 kits and make them in each of Fighter, Gerwalk and Battroid mode and glue each of them in place. :lol:

WARNING

I blame SDF-ONE, he started it!

Damn! And I hoped you would take all the blame for it anime52k8. :p

Graham, I promise to better my life and added a big SPECULATION warning to the original post.

Real modelers would buy 3 kits and make them in each of Fighter, Gerwalk and Battroid mode and glue each of them in place.
And yet the economy is still crap!

I got off my fatass and finished the landing gears so they're a tad more faithful and not just freakin grey looking.

I'm starting to notice though the stickers are kind of peeling in a few spots, specifically at the tip where the folding area of the wings down to the hip kibble are.....that's going cause that area is touched alot cause the damn kibble wont light up properly....if it did it wouldn't do that.

Nope. Transformed it about 10 times or so and nothing broken so far.

Graham

We finished ours at about the same time, and I did less transformations so far, maybe 5, everything mechanical seems ok, though shoulders are far less tight than before. How are your stickers holding? My decals are pretty much chipped all over the edges, and even the wing glove ones managed to crack somehow. Maybe Mr. Mark Setter really has an issue with Bandai decals, or I should have never used them without a clear coat?

Graham or wolfx, would you kindly post a picture of the air intake area and particularly how the sticker conforms to the contours around the "hip"?? as I posted earlier, my decals went horribly wrong, thinking of replacing all of them with the stickers all at once when they become too "weathered"...and seriously thinking about buying a couple more for later (when I improve my skills?). Ozma's custom is a tempting option, but without armor it just doesn't look like Ozma's valk.

More importantly---1/72 Ghost?!?

PS to wolfx: Regarding: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=670492 I only just now realized you meant the upper intake and not the auxiliary intake. For that, I plan to try to mask with 1mm wide strips of Tamiya tape, and/or "scrape" the excess paint off with a toothpick. Acrylics don't stick to bare plastic (or even primer) that well, and if it's less than a day old, can often be removed "perfectly" just using a toothpick to scrape without damaging the plastic. Scraping off acrylic paint is my big "cheat".

seriously though... I think it would be cool if they came out with some regular non-snap kits of the non transforming aircraft?

I'd like to see the different ghosts and that one fighter from galaxy fleet (the one that folds to frontier fleet to tell them that galaxy was attacked) in regular glue and paint model form.

And voila... a 1/72 ghost. You should make more of those cool wishes! :lol:

That SMS base is cool too.

Edited by SDF-ONE

Now that's what I like to see, VF-25G, RVF-25, Ghost and extremely cool SMS base.

I hope those bases are sold seperately, so I can get one for each Valk.

I hope somebody takes a close up pic of the sign, so we can see if any release date is mentioned.

Graham

Graham or wolfx, would you kindly post a picture of the air intake area and particularly how the sticker conforms to the contours around the "hip"?? as I posted earlier, my decals went horribly wrong, thinking of replacing all of them with the stickers all at once when they become too "weathered"...and seriously thinking about buying a couple more for later (when I improve my skills?). Ozma's custom is a tempting option, but without armor it just doesn't look like Ozma's valk.

the stickers are fine. I did what you were thinking and replaced the intake area with the stickers.

More importantly---1/72 Ghost?!?

PS to wolfx: Regarding: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?s=&a...st&p=670492 I only just now realized you meant the upper intake and not the auxiliary intake. For that, I plan to try to mask with 1mm wide strips of Tamiya tape, and/or "scrape" the excess paint off with a toothpick. Acrylics don't stick to bare plastic (or even primer) that well, and if it's less than a day old, can often be removed "perfectly" just using a toothpick to scrape without damaging the plastic. Scraping off acrylic paint is my big "cheat".

Thanks! But i dun have acrylics...or at least i dunno what paint are citadel paints. I'm using that now since i'm mooching them off my brother who does Warhammer. Hahaha.

This is how my VF-25F has become after only around 5 or 6 transformations:

mechanical parts are pretty much perfect, the shoulder has loosened a bit, which is actually good because it was too tight, but now a 1/3 of the decals are ruined...wonder how are those stickers doing, or I will have to really do what was suggested: build 1 model for each mode and never transform them (but finding 1 kit is already difficult, and the price range is a bit high for a kit)

Pictures are self-explanatory:

post-9400-1224150569_thumb.jpg

on the edges of the guns, I actually had to repaint them with flat black, same with some of the red, so in the picture it's not so obvious.

And now the disturbing part, engine intakes (eyesore):

post-9400-1224150575_thumb.jpg

Also, the red decals for the tailfins would not wrap around the contours properly, so I passed, I applied the SMS007 on the main gear doors upside down (and one of then later scratched, will have to replace with sticker).

Edited by regult

the stickers are fine. I did what you were thinking and replaced the intake area with the stickers.

when you have time, would you please take a close up pic like mine in the previous post?

gosh, it's a pity these decals were ruined, otherwise the model is so beautiful...even though it's mostly unpainted!

I'll try but not tonight. Got a dinner date + movie. :D

And i think we should heed pro modeller's advice....top coat the thing before we handle/transform the model too much. I learnt this lesson from this model.

Another lesson: And....i brought my cockpit canopy to a friend to help me tint it. I initially painted black on the canopy edges and frame so he thought i didn't do a good job so decided to use paint thinner on it. Now the cockpit's screwed up and looks frosted on one side cuz the thinner ate into the canopy. =.=;; He claims it can be saved with some sanding and polishing but i dunno......worse case scenario i'll try to get some replacements parts from Japan otherwise just leave it in battroid mode where the canopy will be hidden. I hate paint thinner. I never had good luck with them.