Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Wonderful work @maximilian_jenius! What did you use for panel lining?

for thin panel lines like the back face of the wing or to make the effect of dirty

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...shes/tnt026.htm

for the other pane line, the same technique and gundam maker.

for the canopy blue light effect I use a technique of food artificial color with floor plastic wax. that make look the canopy like the 1/60 v.2 but with blue color instead the rebow effect.

anyone know which stores in singapore i should check out for this kit?

i want another one for insurance :D

Try Sunshine Plaza? Can't remember the shop name but its relatively popular. And mecha models are their specialty. Its just opposite the comic collectibles shop, has a tons of mecha models on display and a work desk just right outside the shop.

Edited by Kak Worm

Try Sunshine Plaza? Can't remember the shop name but its relatively popular. And mecha models are their specialty. Its just opposite the comic collectibles shop, has a tons of mecha models on display and a work desk just right outside the shop.

thanks, and welcome to the boards!

I just secured one from ebay and i am hella excited. To warm up i am going to buy an old 1/100 Gundam wing model and try to perfect my modeling skills before i try on something i really care about. I am curious as to whether or not that base they use in all the promotion photos comes with the kit or not or is that just seperate?

I just secured one from ebay and i am hella excited. To warm up i am going to buy an old 1/100 Gundam wing model and try to perfect my modeling skills before i try on something i really care about. I am curious as to whether or not that base they use in all the promotion photos comes with the kit or not or is that just seperate?

Seperate. Its a standard Gundam Action Base, compatible with practically almost all Bandai kits. Bout 9-10 USD for plain black.

Graham--did you use name-brand Gundam markers for your panel lines? If so, which color? Yours are more subtle than most that I've seen---I think you did a "post-lining wipe", maybe the others I've seen so far didn't.

Yep, I used name brand black Gundam markers and then did a vigerous post-wipe using my fingers with the occasional dab of saliva (of course washed later with soap and water to remove any smell).

Very time consuming, but I think the result is quite good.

Graham

Everybody's builds are starting looking great!! Kudos to you all. B)) I wished I lived in those parts of the world.

In preparation for my kit... does anyone have any good reference or links to good reference for this VF-25? I'd like to gather them all up in one place.

Other than the HJ Nov issue and a few small screen captures, are there any good colour references to the cockpit or the internal mechanisms that are revealed during transformation?

Thanks,

is dis 1/72 vf-25 hard to assemble?

cuz i hav no model assembling experience but it looks really nice

really tempting

i'm juz afraid i cant build it cuz it looks really really complicated

Not really complicated to assemble. If you have some experience with Gunpla (Bandai does a great job with "no glue, snap assembly, colored plastic", you would be fine (get a pair of cheap gundam plamo for experimenting like David did).

Unfortunately, it was impossible for the VF-25 to come with black, red and white parts for the "skin" (because it DOES have a real working "squeleton" for transformation and posability), so you will either have to use the stickers, the decals or paint the decorations yourself...I used decals and will talk about that later, but the thing is: be careful with curves: the decals or stickers have to conform to contours and some raised detals (air intake area, shoulders, the circle bar vernier in the wing root (or shoulder depending on mode)...I consistently screwed up on all those areas, but will use paint to conceal the cracks and missing bits of the decals. Maybe it's the decal "Mr. Mark Setter" I used, or the lack of proper procedure!

Overall, I truly enjoyed building the kit, and it was somehow rewarding to see that everything worked and could transform fine (fighter mode...flimsy as hell, we need a proper traditional model for fighter mode, preferably snap assembly and no paint required!), but decorating was demanding, at least to me, I could not get all the decals to fully comform to the intricate surfaces.

Snapped a pix for illustration on how awful I did around the intake...beware lucky you, who hasn't yet got there, or who successfully did it!!

post-9400-1223496572_thumb.jpg

Another photo in Gerwalk mode, Bandai family moment with ZakuII Char Aznable custom 1/100, completely unpainted except eyes and some "weathering" on the gun (should paint that axe, aka. "heat hawk" (?)). Alto's Vf-25 is 95% decaled, 99% panel line "washed" with gundam pen (GM01-black and GM02-grey, didn't find their specific color names on them). Maybe some lines (and decals!!!) were gone after handling during transformation and application of decals though.

Because Char's custom Zaku II is red and fit was 100% PERFECT, I didn't think it was begging for panel lines, but as I said, Alto's VF-25 is completely white (and Bandai gives us this purplish-white plastic), adding the profusion of real "panel lines" for transformation, leaving the model commpletely clean would be horrible. Upon close-up you'll again notice, like Graham pointed out, that I suck at cleaning the traces of the sprues...

post-9400-1223497174_thumb.jpg

Regarding sanding paper grit, I think it's best to use a scalpel (saves time) to remove any leftovers from the sprue and then use the finest sandpaper you can get (2000 is my max right now, and I didn't like the outcome).

Edited by regult

Made some screen shots after reading that post. There is indeed no launch bar. That's an easy improvement to make to the kit. The color varies per fighter (or per shot?).

th_Macross_Frontier_025.jpgth_Macross_Frontier_041.jpgth_Macross_Frontier_033.jpgth_Macross_Frontier_032.jpg

Last night I was going through the same scenes and took some screenshots too, but you already posted them!

The thing that bothers me is the placement of the nose gear, which in the anime it usually is a bit further back, say more below the windshield than before it. It gives the VF-25 a more balanced look than in the Bandai kit. In the November issue of Hobby Japan, the Alto Custom CUSTOM shows the mod: the guy moved the nose gear a bit back and looks great IMO. After building the kit and watching the scenes, I seriously doubt that super packs can just snap onto it (the kit)...at least in fighter mode, it will just collapse, in gerwalk... can you really transform it without part-swapping? in battroid, the weight of back area will just make the model unable to stand on its own, Gundam action base will be mandatory!

I will wait and see, guess the toy engineers are working on that extra time and consuming seven-eleven frozen meals, drinking energy drinks 10 times stronger than red bull...hee hee.

Edited by regult

Last night I was going through the same scenes and took some screenshots too, but you already posted them!

The thing that bothers me is the placement of the nose gear, which in the anime it usually is a bit further back, say more below the windshield than before it. It gives the VF-25 a more balanced look than in the Bandai kit. In the November issue of Hobby Japan, the Alto Custom CUSTOM shows the mod: the guy moved the nose gear a bit back and looks great IMO. After building the kit and watching the scenes, I seriously doubt that super packs can just snap onto it (the kit)...at least in fighter mode, it will just collapse, in gerwalk... can you really transform it without part-swapping? in battroid, the weight of back area will just make the model unable to stand on its own, Gundam action base will be mandatory!

I will wait and see, guess the toy engineers are working on that extra time and consuming seven-eleven frozen meals, drinking energy drinks 10 times stronger than red bull...hee hee.

It's very likely that if FAST or Full Armor packs are ever made, they will be conformal to the plane's shape, and since the VF-25's FAST Pack fits around the fuselage and is held in place by its bottom section in the anime, this could be taken advantage of, should a FAST pack be made for the model. However, you're right, only time (most of it at night) and Devoted Japanese Devs can tell...

I just snipped off the launch bar, now to spray the gear (about the only parts I intend to paint, as they're completely wrong as molded---why didn't they mold them on one of the white sprues? Or better yet, on their own sprue, like the exhaust nozzles are---the gear will ALWAYS be white, no matter whose valk it is so no need to accomodate different schemes/variants) I don't intend to do anything else for a few days until I finish my Gundam. (today is probably the last day I can spray outdoors, so I'm trying to do all the spraying I'll need for a while) Also found a can of Titanium, and will spray the inner nozzles.

Snapped a pix for illustration on how awful I did around the intake...beware lucky you, who hasn't yet got there, or who successfully did it!!

post-9400-1223496572_thumb.jpg

I did fine there until i transformed it. It tore. >_>.

I just tore it all off and replaced it with the sticker. :lol:

After building the kit and watching the scenes, I seriously doubt that super packs can just snap onto it (the kit)...at least in fighter mode, it will just collapse, in gerwalk...

That's funny, I was wondering exactly the same thing. The packs are placed at the very end of the wing 'roots' (any name suggestions?). For the kit they will probably have to move them a little bit inwards or merge them with the 'roots'... That's more part swapping! :( And then there is the additional weight. I am not even contemplating of scratch building these parts because of this. I guess I'll just have to wait (a few months?) for the Bandai version.

th_Macross_Frontier_034.jpg

Edited by SDF-ONE

. The packs are placed at the very end of the wing 'roots' (any name suggestions?). For the kit they will probably have to move them a little bit inwards or merge them with the 'roots'...

Wing glove. Where a swing-wing plane's moving part of the wing actually meets the fixed part of the wing/fuselage, is the glove.

Here's a more pics of mine, this time in Gerwalk mode.

You can actually get a reasonable 'A' stance with this kit.

I used the stickers on mine instead of the decals.

I'm regretting not painting the underside of the nose sensors blue when I was building it. Too late now.

Still have to paint Alto.

Graham

post-11-1223517515_thumb.jpg

post-11-1223517522_thumb.jpg

post-11-1223517530_thumb.jpg

post-11-1223517541_thumb.jpg

post-11-1223517548_thumb.jpg