Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Alright, what is up with HLJ?

They now have the VF-25 listed as discontinued.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525

We need to get a spy in HLJ, like we have one with Yamato. B))

bandai might be phasing out this package format (ie. solo vanilla), and switching to an expanded format (valk+packs). their projections might have shown they wouldn't be able to sell as much of the super/armor packs if stand-alones were available, and they were just testing the waters with alto. well no surprises there, they've got a tsunami of a demand.

Since it appears Bandai has taken interest in expanding the 1/72 line, that means there's a good chance we could see a three pack Ghost set to tag along with Luca

:lol: Nah, Bandai will sell them separately with the FAST pack addons. :lol:

The fan-made S-type and G-type head still need a bit of work. The S-type's head lasers feel a little too close to the temples. The G-type's head laser feels a bit fat. Nice resin work though.

Since it appears Bandai has taken interest in expanding the 1/72 line, that means there's a good chance we could see a three pack Ghost set to tag along with Luca

What they really need to do is to get the 1/72 destroids reissued. Oh yeah, and a 1/72 Queadluun would be nice too. :wub:

Wow! Thanks for the scans Graham... the ones done up properly has changed my mind a bit on this model, I might have to pick one up someday. I still wished that Hasegawa would make a dedicated aircraft version.

Even in the hands of the experts, it still looks silly sitting atop those spindly (yet at the same time, too thick) landing gears!

Why does hlj.com already have this model as discontinued??????? :angry:

I didn't get one yet........

Chances are, neither their supplier nor Bandai has indicated to HLJ when the next shipment will go out. They're probably still filling pre-orders with what's out there right now. I don't think they can take any orders right now since they have no clue when their next shipment will come. Hobby Search has them listed as "Sold Out" with a waiting list up. Could take a month or 2 before they get any stock.

Ok... :mellow:

I thought that may be the case too. But it has me worried.

I was waiting to order it until everything I was planning to order was in stock... it was the only thing left.

Guess I shoulda pre-ordered when I had the chance.

So I guess I'll just order the other stuff and hope they get more in stock before christmas. <_<

By the way, Is there any clue as to when the blue VF-25G is going to release?

And who's is the green one that looks like an elint? I haven't seen any Frontier episodes yet.

They all look absolutely awesome. B))

Edited by CosmicSpore

:lol: Nah, Bandai will sell them separately with the FAST pack addons. :lol:

The fan-made S-type and G-type head still need a bit of work. The S-type's head lasers feel a little too close to the temples. The G-type's head laser feels a bit fat. Nice resin work though.

The S-type head is the Bandai head, not fan made. Only the G-type and RVF-type heads are fan made.

Graham

Thanks Graham!!!

Don't worry dudes, Bandai will milk the molds for all they can. I'm sure this is not the end!!! There will be more or some one will make the decals for the version you want.

Bandai is sitting on a gold mine and they know it! - MT

I'm sure they will make all of them, and probably a VF-27 eventually too, but those fan made ones look amazing on their own. I want to get Ozma and Mikhail valks!

Ok, quick question that shows my ignorance since I usually only build models that are pre-painted. What is the difference between stickers and decals? They sound the same to me. Also the panel lining can be done with a simple thin tipped marker right? If so I may just do stickers and panel lining for mine so they look good because I don't like painting models and I want more than bare bones white (or gray in Ozma's case).

Stickers are for toys, and decals are for models. Stickers usually are much thicker and hold up to handling, whereas decals are much, much thinner, easily broken, but can be made to look like part of the paintwork, in scale, and require a bit of patience in applying.

Ok, quick question that shows my ignorance since I usually only build models that are pre-painted. What is the difference between stickers and decals?

'Stickers', as the name implies stick, i.e. they use some form of adhesive backing (glue) to adhere (stick) to the model.

'Decals', on the oher hand is commonly considered to mean 'water slide decals', i.e. the type of markings that come with traditional model kits that you need to dip in water so they come off the backing paper.

Decals are thinner than stickers and give a more professional look, but are tricker to apply and can be quite fragile.

Graham

Wow, just look at this thread. :lol:

Just from seeing the interest in this thread, and seeing how HLJ sold out so quickly, it looks like the state of Macross modelling is very, very good for for future. I see more investment from Bandai from the response to the first Alto VF-25, and I hope to see more varied products coming out too. It looks like there is a huge fanbase out there, and hopefully this VF-25 signals a renaissance in Macross modeling. I need to see more build-ups though!

Fun times ahead!

'Decals', on the oher hand is commonly considered to mean 'water slide decals', i.e. the type of markings that come with traditional model kits that you need to dip in water so they come off the backing paper.

Decals are thinner than stickers and give a more professional look, but are tricker to apply and can be quite fragile.

Graham

Would like to add that experienced model builders (not me) never leave water slide decals exposed, they will apply a thin clear coat on top of it, either glossy or dull according to the subject, so it is safely sealed and is not damaged when handling.

Given this is a transformable model/toy, I have mixed feelings about decals, but as the magazine shows, there are VERY good builders who seek a more professional look, they apply paint to all parts and use custom made decals, etc...

I'm sure if the first production run sells well, they will reissue it.

It's not a matter of "if", more like "when", especially for popular kits. Bandai pumps out new Plamodels every month. It's just a matter of scheduling more production runs in the factory.

Would like to add that experienced model builders (not me) never leave water slide decals exposed, they will apply a thin clear coat on top of it, either glossy or dull according to the subject, so it is safely sealed and is not damaged when handling.

Given this is a transformable model/toy, I have mixed feelings about decals, but as the magazine shows, there are VERY good builders who seek a more professional look, they apply paint to all parts and use custom made decals, etc...

so, where can one find one of these experienced model builders who can build and detail one of these up for us mear mortals who lack model building skills?

Wow! Thanks for the scans Graham... the ones done up properly has changed my mind a bit on this model, I might have to pick one up someday. I still wished that Hasegawa would make a dedicated aircraft version.

Even in the hands of the experts, it still looks silly sitting atop those spindly (yet at the same time, too thick) landing gears!

Agreed with that. It looks like if you want it to be somewhat sleek there is no way but making it a fighter only model (comparing the hip parts on the ozma vs the Alto) Can someone who's built it confirm that?

Wow HLJ discontinued the item already? I feel so lucky as i just placed the order on Thursday 9/18 and i was prepared for the backorder status already. Some how got the payment notice today 9/23 asking me to pay with paypal and of course i did that in a heartbeat. Guess that means i need to build it right away now, awesome!!!

After trying to transform the kit again, I found that the joint is quite flexible, altough the snapping sound still makes me worry.

Some poses which I tried in batroid mode.

Wing extended.

DCF_0019-1.jpg

Pose for display.

DCF_0020-1.jpg

Wow HLJ order on Thursday 9/18 got the payment notice today

What other website can be trusted to buy Japanese models that will ship to the US?

HLJ is saying because I have other items on backorder is the reason I did not get the VF-25 that was order on August 8th.

Yet, the only thing that was ordered was the single model without anything else????

Beaching done :angry:

Nice Photo, The view of the Battroid down the gunpod looks great.

HWJapan. This is the former Aoshima BK Hobby Supermarket online store. You have to agree that no one will repeat the name Aoshima BK Hobby Supermarket online store twice. So one of their new webshops was renamed into HWJapan since the beginning of this year. HWJapan has the same shipping prices like HLJ. The only difference between both online shops they send your items the same day or next day when payment arrives. Your stuff doesn't come in plastic wrapper and aircushions therefore rumpled newspapers. Their shop is still a bit messy with the 1000 of categories and different sub categories. But for a good price and service I'm willing to search a bit longer.

And geuss what HWJapan also don't have the VF-25F listed in their Webshop anymore. I pre-ordered mine last month as soon it was listed and still haven't received a shipping or payment notification. It was listed again only for a few hours this Monday.

Can't recommend Anime-Exports. They messed up a lot of things with my 1st order and caused me even more headache.