Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

That pic there has me wondering what finish is used---you can clearly see the parts seams, so it's not puttied/sanded/painted----but it is awfully smooth for not being overtly glossy---yet the big wing piano hinge is not the same shade as the rest of the plane. Un-puttied seams and painted?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do--I am NOT going to paint the white--not on something with this many moving/scraping parts, all white areas will be left white plastic. But I'm wondering if I should use pens for panel lines, a wash, or what. And then do I seal it? Again---I intend for mine to be "played with" and "toyistic"---thus the finish needs to be durable, and not impede anything. Layers of paint and clear may cause clearance issues. I never seal pens, and that one is clearly penned with pure black ink--and it looks remarkably good for that---if that's over base white plastic, I may go with that. But if that's penned ink over painted white, I may go with a wash, to really eliminate as much "plasticy" look as possible.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do--I am NOT going to paint the white--not on something with this many moving/scraping parts, all white areas will be left white plastic. But I'm wondering if I should use pens for panel lines, a wash, or what. And then do I seal it? Again---I intend for mine to be "played with" and "toyistic"---thus the finish needs to be durable, and not impede anything.

Durable and transforming kits usually don't go together. What can I say, years of Gunpla has taught me better.

Does anybody know if the official release date is still set for 25th September?

Graham

Not sure anymore. Only Amazon.jp still has it dated on 25th Sept. I would say that Happinet is a more reliable source since this is Bandai's own web shop. Bandai Hobby net has the Valkyrie Kit listed in their September release schedule with a notice that the release date will be determined till Sept. 5th.

All the other have some when in September. But they all seem to have the 30% discount on this item. ^_^

Happinet

Amazon

AmiAmi

Edited by TSP

I love it!

But I'm going to pass in favor of one of the other variants. This looks just too much like a VF-1J to me, and my collection is overrun with 1Js & 1Ss already. :p

I've never seen test-shots etc that had the parts inked in on the sprues. That's kinda pointless/misrepresentative.

Well, for a show display, it gives passers-by a look at the detailing that would otherwise be lost under all the bright halogen lights and white plastic, so in that sense it's reasonable enough.

The price tag in one of the photos stated to be released around September. But the price of 4,725 Yen is a bit pricey for a model kit. I will let someone actually build one of these and wait for their feedback before making a purchase. B))

Can anyone tell me if the water decals on the wings for example will resist rubbing movements as when the wings spread wide open or retract for higher speed ? will it not pull off the decals ? sorry if my question is not very clear but I have never build this kind of kits..

I guess it's just a product of being transformable, but the pic of it in fighter mode shows something is a-twist.

Granted the shot is not perfectly head on but it's pretty close. Look at the back of the engines, the tops of the tails, and the tips of the wings.

post-4310-1220463595_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the water decals on the wings for example will resist rubbing movements as when the wings spread wide open or retract for higher speed ? will it not pull off the decals ? sorry if my question is not very clear but I have never build this kind of kits..

Good question. Also, would it be more "durable" to paint in the lines with a gundam marker than use the decals for the red and black at least?

A couple good coats of future should seal the decals well enough to protect them from casual movement. The key to remember is to let your decals and paint coats fully dry for 3 or 4 days before you move it. Paints remain gummy for some time after application and dont reach full hardness for at least a week in some cases. Most people who build kits that have moveable parts fail to remember this.

I guess it's just a product of being transformable, but the pic of it in fighter mode shows something is a-twist. Granted the shot is not perfectly head on but it's pretty close. Look at the back of the engines, the tops of the tails, and the tips of the wings.

I don't think the photo's level. And since we know the landing gear is removable, it could easily be explained by one of them not being inserted correctly.

Although not the best angle, this is a screenshot from episode 14. I really think the nose gear is a bit further back in the CG model (inline with the cockpit windshield at least). Does anybody have a side picture with gears deployed? I just realized the latest episodes tend to cover the undercarriage out of frame for some reason, but I remember seeing images of the VF-25's nose gear being placed not as prominently forward as in the bandai model.

Also, the little supporting plastic under the gunpod/near the head is consistently showing up in almost every picture of the model in fighter mode...makes me wonder if there is a inherent weakness at that point making the extra support necessary (this would also link back to the problem of left/right symmetry). I only built a couple of gundam models, and they don't even transform, but the quality of plastic and polycaps/jpoints is of utmost importance if we want sth that can handle at least a couple of transformation cycles: decals ARE a very very bad idea, but have no idea if transfer-stickers would be more durable or not. Even enamel paint chips off (remember the 1/60 VF-1s V1 and the lousy legs??)

post-9400-1220473043_thumb.png

post-9400-1220473180_thumb.jpg

Edited by regult

I guess it's just a product of being transformable, but the pic of it in fighter mode shows something is a-twist.

Great, more 'transformation' crap I have to fix up on mine. I really wish they'd just done two models, fighter mode and battroid mode, and leave the transformation to the toys.... Dead horse, I know! ;)

Edited by PetarB

Great, more 'transformation' crap I have to fix up on mine. I really wish they'd just done two models, fighter mode and battroid mode, and leave the transformation to the toys.... Dead horse, I know!

But at least it will be marginally easier to do Gerwalk mode...

Edited by azrhino

Umm... there's nothing wrong with the angle of the wings, and tails.

Your editing lines showing angles is not angled correctly according to the photo...

A perfectly head on photo would have shown that.

The only thing that is slightly off-center is one of the engines, and that was probably the person who placed it into the display's fault. Since it is transformable, engines are easily moved.

Anyways, do you guys think it will be necessary to preorder one of these guys, in order to get one?

I really, really want one. Bandai has finally done a perfect transformable model kit and it's beautiful. I've been waiting for one forever!

I don't want to forget about it and find out they are sold out later, but I'm not fond of pre-ordering stuff if it's not necessary.... especially since I might move before it even gets released!

Edited by CosmicSpore

Even when you correct the photo to take out the slight tilt of the camera things still look off. the whole left side is higher up but the left engine is lower. also the left landing gear is appears to be farther back, now the photo may be slightly to the left of center, but not much and I don't think enough to account for everything. Something is definitely off.

post-4286-1220490829_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Even when you correct the photo to take out the slight tilt of the camera things still look off. the whole left side is higher up but the left engine is lower. also the left landing gear is appears to be farther back, now the photo may be slightly to the left of center, but not much and I don't think enough to account for everything. Something is definitely off.

Since it was presumably taken by a human, that's not necessarily an exact front-on pic. A degree or two off on perspective makes all the difference.

Yeah I can agree now. It is a bit off, but not nearly as badly as it showed before.

It's a Bandai, and it's transformable, of course it's not gonna be absolutely perfect. :lol:

But I really need to know if you guys think I need to pre-order or not.

You guys are the experts. I've never pre-ordered models or toys before! :huh: