Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

Updates on pics btw.. courtesy of toysdaily forums.

i don't think it will lose to the DX version.

Is it me or the batroid mode is much more bulkier, and seeing the stand on the batroid mode, I think there's going to have some balance issue with the wings folded back.

It looks extremely bulky, but I think maybe the photographer also made a mistake with the hip assembly; the legs should sit much deeper.

Come to think of it, do we ever see how the legs join the "pelvis" in the animation? On the stills, they just seem to "hover" there.

The head is on the bulky side, too, but I like the level of detail they put there, considering that this is 1/72.

BTW is there a 1/100 toy, too, in the small pics?

Red feet! XD! Bandai.. This is Macross, NOT Gundam. :lol:

Also, look at the crotch section... Looks similar to the Bandai VF-2SS, where the hip ball joints are part of a little "attachment" which clips on the crotch section.

Edited by OmegaD3k

Red feet! XD! Bandai.. This is Macross, NOT Gundam. :lol:

Also, look at the crotch section... Looks similar to the Bandai VF-2SS, where the hip ball joints are part of a little "attachment" which clips on the crotch section.

emmm can't blame them, they're still bandai.. gundam is still in their blood.. :ph34r:

I can barely make it out but the text seems to say that the kit is pre-colored, snap-fit, and polycap-less.

Polycap-less? Meaning as in no polycaps? Won't that be a step back in technology? Then what would be used for the joints and etc?

I hope the feet are not going to be red on the production 1/72 scale kit.

Yep, confirmation at last of the 1/100 toy.

Graham

Well, I've seen Gundam kits in these types of pictures in complete black plastic, or a variation of greys. And then end being produced in their original colours...

Maybe the prototype molder thought it was another gundam, and gave it red feet. LOL

Polycap-less? Meaning as in no polycaps? Won't that be a step back in technology? Then what would be used for the joints and etc?

Dunno. I've heard that some of the more recent MG Gundam kits are polycap-less as well. From what I've read it seems like Bandai is using a new way to connect joints/etc. using ABS plastic. Supposedly this is beneficial for thinner and smaller size mechs whose bodies won't permit polycaps use without making compromises to the sculpt. It also supposedly allows for more strength and more movement. On the other hand, there's been some complaints about the joints getting loose over time.

Well, these seem to be a step in the right direction, at least the plane mode seems somewhat better than some of the prototype photos (not great, but the nose and canopy seem more in proportion to the rest of the plane).

bleh...still not impressed, the waist just look terrible...

so Bandai has been working on 1/60, 1/72, 1/100 and they all look bulky.... maybe if they would have just concentrated on one scale they would've make it better

The way the 25 is in the line art, it wouldn't be able to have much movement in the legs/ thighs because it's so close to the crotch. Putting the hips wider would allow a greater range in movement. That would allow the legs to spread out in GERWALK mode.

I can't wait to see some crazy mods.

Edited by badboy00z

Pre-coloured probably means the same process they use on the Gundam MG models to have all the pieces molded in appropriately coloured plastic, as opposed to painted. Wouldn't be surprised if it also came with the same style of foil and clear stickers for markings, too (which would suck for me... I always prefer decals).

Is it me or the batroid mode is much more bulkier, and seeing the stand on the batroid mode, I think there's going to have some balance issue with the wings folded back.

I think the botroid mode is kinda short, and where is the neck?

Pre-coloured probably means the same process they use on the Gundam MG models to have all the pieces molded in appropriately coloured plastic, as opposed to painted. Wouldn't be surprised if it also came with the same style of foil and clear stickers for markings, too (which would suck for me... I always prefer decals).

at least the clear parts seems to be clear...

STAR TREK..... remember?

Ack. And I even had one. (they suffered from the problem every other factory-painted Trek ship has had though---way too high of contrast between colors. Every company that makes Trek toys should be required to go to an airshow and see at arm's length how subtle the contrast between real-life camoflage colors is on most "grey" planes---Trek ships are pretty much the same)

Ack. And I even had one. (they suffered from the problem every other factory-painted Trek ship has had though---way too high of contrast between colors. Every company that makes Trek toys should be required to go to an airshow and see at arm's length how subtle the contrast between real-life camoflage colors is on most "grey" planes---Trek ships are pretty much the same)

and expensive too.

New pics from the latest issue of Dengeki Hobby Magazine (October 2008 issue).

Note the feet are a different color (use of incorrect color plastics is common on test shots).

Also, note the neck seems to be extended more than in the Hobby Japan photos.

Graham

post-11-1219647806_thumb.jpg

Looks very good in the new photos. They got the neck extension and the hip joint position correct this time. Note the seamless fit of the landing gear doors on the legs! Front landing gear doors seems to open for the transformation, good details there.

Can't wait to build one.