Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

I really wanna see how it works, cus' from that photo, the hinge looks like it's placed right where the fin needs to come out of.

And I've said it before, but I so want to see close ups of that kawamori olineart that's behind the model.

Graham

More pics of the Bandai 1/72 scale VF-25 model, from the new July issues of Hobby Japan m9agazine and Dengeki Hobby magazine, just out today.

IMO, the 1/72 kit is definitely looking far better than the 1/60 DX toy at this point.

I'll try and do better scans when I get home tonight.

Graham

post-11-1211535244_thumb.jpg

post-11-1211535419_thumb.jpg

The more I see the VF-25 the more I fall in love with it. I hope this kit gets released soon. One thing that bothers me about the greenish gray prototype is that the nose cone is a bit small and goes way too much into the torso. Also the hips are too wide because of the ball joint system. I wonder why this sculpt couldn't be (or didn't get) scaled up for the DX. There should be more space for more details and reinforcing the thing if it's bigger.

Edited by badboy00z

Oh, goodies, goodies, goodies, goodies!!! Now, how about a VF-171 ?

Well, I think unless the VF-171 starts getting some more screen time soon, there is almost zero chance of a model kit or toy. :(

Graham

That DOES look pretty good. I was affraid the profile veiw of fighter mode would look too chunky but that shot made it look pretty darn good!

Chris

Well, I think unless the VF-171 starts getting some more screen time soon, there is almost zero chance of a model kit or toy. :(

Graham

If it weren't for the surf today I would be bummed with that statement.

Looks like I have to be happy with the old Bandai VF-17 toys and the Wave 1/72 Battroid kit.

After really looking at the pictures, I think (call it a slightly-educated guess), that these aren't really like MG's or HG's. I'm guessing maybe a partial inner frame at best. Looking really closely at it though, I'm thinking they're going to be a hybrid between HG and MG. Any of you who have built anything out of the Kotobukiya Armored Core line know what I mean. Not that that's a bad thing at all, the AC kits are really well done. Kind of a stripped down MG kit. Sure you lose some features, but you also loose a lot of pointless crap as well.

So, there will be transforming and non-transforming model kits? :unsure:

No.

As of this moment the only Macross frontier model kits that have been officialy anounced are the perfect transformation 1:72nd scale VF-25, and a 1:72nd scale Vajra Alien Space Lobster Living Weapon Thingy (and yes that is the oficial name ;)^_^ ) Actually I don't know if the Vajra Lobster we saw with the VF-25 is a model or toy. But that's it. Any talk of a non-transforming kit from Bandai is, at this point, nothing more that wishful thinking from a few well intentioned, if not slightly deluded fans.

Edited by Chas

No.

As of this moment the only Macross frontier model kits that have been officialy anounced are the perfect transformation 1:72nd scale VF-25, and a 1:72nd scale Vajra Alien Space Lobster Living Weapon Thingy (and yes that is the oficial name ;)^_^ ) Actually I don't know if the Vajra Lobster we saw with the VF-25 is a model or toy. But that's it. Any talk of a non-transforming kit from Bandai is, at this point, nothing more that wishful thinking from a few well intentioned, if not slightly deluded fans.

I hope Bandai keeps the price for the VF-25 and lobsters at a reasonable level. Plus a 1/72 scale of Klan Klan's modified Q-rau??? will be sweet! :lol:

After really looking at the pictures, I think (call it a slightly-educated guess), that these aren't really like MG's or HG's. I'm guessing maybe a partial inner frame at best. Looking really closely at it though, I'm thinking they're going to be a hybrid between HG and MG. Any of you who have built anything out of the Kotobukiya Armored Core line know what I mean. Not that that's a bad thing at all, the AC kits are really well done. Kind of a stripped down MG kit. Sure you lose some features, but you also loose a lot of pointless crap as well.

Fighters of this scale doesn't have enough room for a full internal frame like the Gundams do. I believe we'll get the internal frames in the legs and forearms only.

Fighters of this scale doesn't have enough room for a full internal frame like the Gundams do. I believe we'll get the internal frames in the legs and forearms only.

No I think he means it will have a more traditional model set up, not a Gundam design philosophy. As I've mentioned before, the gundam HG/MG/PG have a very different design philosophy than normal models, mostly due to their intended market. They are supposed to fit into a area between real models and the HCM or Fix Figuration line, which means you can pose and play with them to a limited extent. For most of my models I don't see a need for an internal frame; I'm never going to touch it or open it up because that will put fingerprints on a finish I probably worked several days to make. And that goes for most traditional modelers, not gunpla enthusiasts. Even though the VF-25 might be able to transform, it looks to me that its more along the lines of a traditional model, and not intended for much durability or playability. Thus its unlikely you'd ever see the internal frame, except to add detail.

Edited by Noyhauser

With the use of a Konig Monster maybe we could get some monster love too.

Oh you little optimist!! :)

How long's it been since the last IP Destroid kit? 25 years or so? It could happen but I won't hold my breath. Would love it though...

I think the leg might use some sort of frame design, but beyond that I don't think so. The legs kinda would need to do that because of the armour and wings. I don't know if that will be the same for the body, and doubtful for the arms.

Anyone think that the 1/72 kits have internal ABS frames? Thats the impression I get by looking at the open leg panels.

So do Bandai have ABS in their models? How does one glue styrene to ABS?

Painting the ABS Bandai uses for their MGs has never really been a problem. Usually some surface treatment (e.g. light sanding + Mr. Surfacer + paint) works really well. If you really want strong, maybe a thin mist of Mr. Metal Primer would help, though you'd probably want to sand enough so that the tolerances aren't too tight.

Graham

Who knows, maybe if they sell enough of the 25s, they'll make some 171s. Although personally I want Q-Rea's complete with pilot figure, just so we can finally see how is it they fit into those things.

What I'm worries about is that they won't release the super parts as a separate kit (so that those of s who buy the 1/72 can simply "upgrade" their valks), but rather as whole new complete VF-25 + super parts kit altogether.

I believe the legs would be something like on the MG Zeta 1.0 where it's not really a full internal frame but partial.

If we're lucky, the legs get a full frame and the torso and arms get at least some form of internal frame to add a bit of strength to the kit.

Edited by d3v

What I'm worries about is that they won't release the super parts as a separate kit (so that those of s who buy the 1/72 can simply "upgrade" their valks), but rather as whole new complete VF-25 + super parts kit altogether.

If that is going to happen, we will probably know by the time the 1/72 kit is out, at which point I'd suggest waiting until the 25 + Super parts kit comes out to get the whole thing and save money. However it seems in Japan model accessory kits happen often, but not in America (despite the fact that this would never come out in America) where here they do everything in a big set, you don't often see accessory sets.

If that is going to happen, we will probably know by the time the 1/72 kit is out, at which point I'd suggest waiting until the 25 + Super parts kit comes out to get the whole thing and save money. However it seems in Japan model accessory kits happen often, but not in America (despite the fact that this would never come out in America) where here they do everything in a big set, you don't often see accessory sets.

Seeing the trend in Bandai's marketing lately, it's very unlikely they will release the Super parts as a separate kit. Their Code Geass kits have rehashed the same Lancelot kit for 3 different versions. Strike Gundam has been rehashed numerous times (albeit some were colour variations) but the add on packs require you to buy a new Strike Gundam. Likewise, every other Gundam that is a slight variant or armoured version is released with the corresponding Gundam. The only company that really still does accessory packs for character models nowadays is Kotobukiya.

Seeing the trend in Bandai's marketing lately, it's very unlikely they will release the Super parts as a separate kit. Their Code Geass kits have rehashed the same Lancelot kit for 3 different versions. Strike Gundam has been rehashed numerous times (albeit some were colour variations) but the add on packs require you to buy a new Strike Gundam. Likewise, every other Gundam that is a slight variant or armoured version is released with the corresponding Gundam. The only company that really still does accessory packs for character models nowadays is Kotobukiya.

Or just wait until B-club releases the upgrade kits like the gundam cover kits or accessory packs or even the high detail manipulators (hands) since it's a Bandai release.