I figured I'd start a thread about the VF-2SS Valkyrie from Macross II. I'm attempting to sneak in some Macross II profiles for the M3 before Macross Frontier gets underway in April. I'm very unfamiliar with Macross II. Unlike all the other Macross shows, I've only ever seen Macross II once and it was many years ago. Needless to say I didn't care for it, but I'm building a VF-2SS profile now so I'll need a bit of help.

First off, I need to know if I got the colors correct. All the pictures online are very deceiving about the VF-2SS and some seem to give the fighter a blue tint. SO I've created a small comparison picture that I'd like fans to review and comment.

EDIT Removed original pictures and inserted the most up to date color set

vf-2ss-all.gif

Aside from the color, I'd like some information about the VF-2SS. There is next to nothing as far as statistics or official write ups, so the any official information you can provide would be appreciated. hellohikaru and Jedi Knight made a poster that contained some information, can they (or anyone else) confirm if these statistics are canon?

Basically, I'm looking for facts and trivia I can build into a "Macross Mecha Manual-like" profile. What did the VF-2SS do? What are its capabilities? What is more advanced than previous generation Valkyries? If You've read the profiles on the M3, try to think about the kind of information that would fit into such a profile for the VF-2SS.

Any help is appreciated.

post-114-1203900138_thumb.jpg

I wish I was at home to scan you some examples from the nice "This Is Animation!" book for this movie.

As far as color references go for the VF-2SS, from my fuzzy memory of the movie, book screencaps, and the Bandai -2SS kit's artwork, there is a blue-gray tint to the overall color of the VF. But just a very tiny touch of blue. So I'd pick your left most example.

Stats? I can't recall seeing any official stats for the thing.

Edited by Warmaker

I like the one on the right - cause it doesn't have a hard shadow - the one on the left looks like a spotlight is hitting it - and u lose some detail i think. If u did the one on the right with an overall slight blue tint - i think it'd work well - and the yellow strip would need to be (crimson?) red!

Roger

The colored artwork I made is from the original Japanese line art from the Macross II animation materials book. I don't own any Palladium books and I'm not Jewish.

Warmaker

There are some few official statistics for the VF-2SS. The MAHQ lists them. I was hoping there was some more.

I've lightened the blue a little and created a fourth version. I agree that it sure does seem to have a blue tint of some kind, but it is very slight.

Kurisama

I was trying to mimic the style of the show itself, which uses very hard shadows, both in the animation and in most of the colored line art online. I wouldn't worry about losing details; I can always post lighter variants in the for fans only section of my website. Like the VF-17 or other dark colored Valkyries, I'm more concerned about getting as close as possible to the VF-2SS canon color scheme.

I've made a fourth version and used the red stripe. Perhaps this latest one is more accurate? Take a look and see what you think.

Isamu test pilot

Yeah, I'm trying to determine that. It's a bit tricky.

vf-2ss-TEMP-battroid.gif

The VF-2SS had red, green, blue and Yellow color stripes. The acrobatic team was green, blue, red and gold fuselages with white stripes.

The overall color of the standard fighter is light grey according to the art in/on the B-Club magazines.

These are scans of an english translated magazine article from back in the 90's. The article was featured in B-Club 79 originally IIRC.

post-3243-1203928118_thumb.jpg

post-3243-1203928207_thumb.jpg

post-3243-1203928226_thumb.jpg

post-3243-1203928236_thumb.jpg

I'll look up the other information tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it. :p

PS: The Auto Attack Bits were also called "Squires".

Edited by Zinjo

There are no official stats or details on the powerplants, max thrust, etc... Probably since the show didn't do very well, no one actually came up with any. However the stats wouldn't be substantially greater than the VF-4 since that is the last fighter seen in reference to DYRL.

The show was based on the available productions of the day which were SDFM, DYRL and FB2012. By all appearances, the Earth spent most of its time rebuilding it's defenses, not so much new cities or sending out several emmigration fleets on a yearly basis like the Nue continuity.

Essentially humanity became rather complacent in their own system and hid behind the "Minmay Defence" (they would choose a pop star to record songs to confuse any Zentreadi attack fleets and then attack while their enemy was off balance).

They went with several conventional weapons however, such as the rail gun and Auto Attacker Bits (similar to the Ghost X9 idea). The use of the PBB as an offensive weapon as well as upgrades to existing destroid units. The mecha became specialized between atmospheric and space based types. Instead of rebuilding the grand cannons, they opted for space based Macross Cannon platforms.

On a side note: Bandai is going to be re-issuing the 1/100 VF-2SS kit for the 25th anniversary this year.

Edited by Zinjo

Kurisama

Well, I'll take that to mean Version 4.0 is a resounding win :)

I'm not a big fan of the Macross II mecha. The Valkyries in particular are far too over-designed. The VF-2SS Battroid mode looks pretty good, but the Fighter and GERWALK modes are awful, IMO.

Zinjogger

These pictures have some good information. It's not much to work with, but it should be enough to build from. Thanks for posting.

Yes, I had planned on keeping the date of the production (1992) well in mind when building the profiles, as well as Macross II's status as a parallel world.

So The VF-2SS will be basically more advanced then the VF-4. Since there are no weight, power plant or thrust statistics, I'll have to use vague descriptions based on simplistic assumptions about Valkyrie advancement in the 80 years between SWI and Macross II. We can assume it's faster and has more powerful engines, but since we don't even know the weight, we can't say anything about that.

So are the gun pods beam weapons or rail guns? Your pictures call the various types of Valkyire gun pods rail guns, but the MAHQ statistics list "beam guns". So which one is it? Or is it both?

What is the PBB offensive weapon?

Zinjogger

These pictures have some good information. It's not much to work with, but it should be enough to build from. Thanks for posting.

Yes, I had planned on keeping the date of the production (1992) well in mind when building the profiles, as well as Macross II's status as a parallel world.

So The VF-2SS will be basically more advanced then the VF-4. Since there are no weight, power plant or thrust statistics, I'll have to use vague descriptions based on simplistic assumptions about Valkyrie advancement in the 80 years between SWI and Macross II. We can assume it's faster and has more powerful engines, but since we don't even know the weight, we can't say anything about that.

So are the gun pods beam weapons or rail guns? Your pictures call the various types of Valkyire gun pods rail guns, but the MAHQ statistics list "beam guns". So which one is it? Or is it both?

What is the PBB offensive weapon?

As far as I know the Metal Siren seemed to use beam weaponry (I'll have to see if the VF-2JA Icarus used them too). All the weapons on the VF-2SS including the SAP pack were rail guns. The SAP pack used a very large rail gun mounted on the top, eventhough many like to believe it's a beam weapon.

Some research was clearly done on rail guns and on the big gun, the visual effect used is consistent with a high powered rail gun (albeit dramatically slower than reality). When one considers that a projectile fired from a rail gun at sufficient speed turns into a plasma bullet with incredible kinetic energy there is no surprise it has serious killing power.

I think he's talking about the Metal Siren's omni-directional attack, which doesn't appear to be barrier based. Just a weird electrical field that made missiles and robots explode.

PBB = Pinpoint Barrier

The omni-directional attack is a take on the SDFM PBB overload idea. The end of the "lance" the Metal Siren carries uses a PBB to allow it to cut into the hull of enemy ships as well as a type of gunpod.

Nexx used it to slice into a Marduk crusier and then activated the PBB overload inside the ship.

PBB = Pinpoint Barrier

The omni-directional attack is a take on the SDFM PBB overload idea. The end of the "lance" the Metal Siren carries uses a PBB to allow it to cut into the hull of enemy ships as well as a type of gunpod.

Nexx used it to slice into a Marduk crusier and then activated the PBB overload inside the ship.

I think you just confused yourself. You meant to say, he used something akin to the omni directional overload inside the ship. Still, the attack used by the Metal Siren was not the same as a barrier overload where the barrier engulfs and immolates its targets. The Metal Siren just made a sphere of electricity that when it passed over things (missiles, battle pods) they exploded.

I thought so too. They also came up with all the model numbers for the gun pods, etc. Palladium's Macross stats are largely apocryphal and are generally ignored.

I have the old "This is Animation Special" book for MII at home... I don't remember too much in the way of numbers though, aside from perhaps sizes.

Mark

I think you just confused yourself. You meant to say, he used something akin to the omni directional overload inside the ship. Still, the attack used by the Metal Siren was not the same as a barrier overload where the barrier engulfs and immolates its targets. The Metal Siren just made a sphere of electricity that when it passed over things (missiles, battle pods) they exploded.

No I didn't confuse myself, but thanks for caring... <_<

Since we didn't see what the explosion looked like inside the ship, we cannot confirm or dismiss a PBB overload weapon. I choose to take it as a PBB weapon since the MS is the only fighter we know to have such a device. The differences between the SDFM episode and the Mac II episode is that one takes place in an atmosphere over a population center, while the other takes place inside a several km long ship.

I wouldn't discount the notion that it could be a EMP type device generated by a PBB system, however we cannot be sure yet.

Until the TISA and the Newtype articles I own are translated (I am ever hopeful, but 0.25 a word adds up pretty fast) we can't be sure either way.

Are you sure that's official? From what I heard, Palladium came up with the name "Squires."

I would have to look into that again myself and confirm one way or another.

Marchy march, treat the "squires" comment as unconfirmed until chapter and verse can be quoted... :wacko:

Edited by Zinjo

No I didn't confuse myself, but thanks for caring... <_<

Since we didn't see what the explosion looked like inside the ship, we cannot confirm or dismiss a PBB overload weapon.

Why are you referring to something that you claim duplicates an omni directional barrier explosion as a pinpoint barrier overload?

Why are you referring to something that you claim duplicates an omni directional barrier explosion as a pinpoint barrier overload?

Where did the omni-directional barrier come from in SDFM? If it's semantics your are referring to, then fine, to be precise an "omni-directional barrier overload from a pin point barrier generating device"... Next? World Peace... :rolleyes:

I figured I'd start a thread about the VF-2SS Valkyrie from Macross II. I'm attempting to sneak in some Macross II profiles for the M3 before Macross Frontier gets underway in April. I'm very unfamiliar with Macross II. Unlike all the other Macross shows, I've only ever seen Macross II once and it was many years ago. Needless to say I didn't care for it, but I'm building a VF-2SS profile now so I'll need a bit of help.

First off, I need to know if I got the colors correct. All the pictures online are very deceiving about the VF-2SS and some seem to give the fighter a blue tint. SO I've created a small comparison picture that I'd like fans to review and comment.

vf-2ss-comparison.gif

vf-2ss-TEMP-battroid.gif

Aside from the color, I'd like some information about the VF-2SS. There is next to nothing as far as statistics or official write ups, so the any official information you can provide would be appreciated. hellohikaru and Jedi Knight made a poster that contained some information, can they (or anyone else) confirm if these statistics are canon?

Basically, I'm looking for facts and trivia I can build into a "Macross Mecha Manual-like" profile. What did the VF-2SS do? What are its capabilities? What is more advanced than previous generation Valkyries? If You've read the profiles on the M3, try to think about the kind of information that would fit into such a profile for the VF-2SS.

Any help is appreciated.

This sure reminds me of the non-cannon VF-AX1! Would love to see these in production and add them to my collection

post-7126-1203975374_thumb.jpg

Mark Nguyen

Any official information would be a big help. Please share whatever you find. Thanks.

TheLoneWolf

Good point. I want to avoid all RPG and Palladium stuff. I want just official fiction taken from the Japanese Macross art books and anime events only.

Zinjim and VF5SS

Okay, I'll officially declare the Metal Siren crazy :)

I'm not sure how to write about that lance and it's Pin-Point/Omni-Directional Barrier equipped uber-lance. I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it. As for the Auto-Attack Bits, I'll stick with that designation until notified further.

For now, here's the latest colors for the VF-2SS set.

EDIT: See below

Are these basically canon and correct as described? Let me know. I'd like to get all the canon color variants down so I can do them all in one big sweep. I don't want to have to come back to the VF-2SS once I've completed it, so speak now (or type as it were) :)

Edited by Mr March

Mr. March do you know the designation of this Valk? It's a VF-2 but it looks like a VF-1J.

You posted the VF-2JA Icarus, it's an atmosphere type valk.

Basically the only colors you're missing from the VF-2 are the moon act colors; the second episode had a laser show on the moon that showcased VF-2SS' in monochrome schemes (entire valk is one color i.e.: red, green, blue, etc. a la Max & Millia type color saturation), i don't recall if their SAP packs carried over the monochrome scheme, i'd have to watch it again

Edited by emajnthis

...i don't recall if their SAP packs carried over the monochrome scheme, i'd have to watch it again

The demonstration team's Valkyrie IIs did not carry SAPs. You are right that each individual VF-2SS in the team was a single solid color (not including feet thrusters, canopy shield, and other minor accents) with white stripes.

post-664-1204041975_thumb.gif

The demonstration team's Valkyrie IIs did not carry SAPs. You are right that each individual VF-2SS in the team was a single solid color (not including feet thrusters, canopy shield, and other minor accents) with white stripes.

post-664-1204041975_thumb.gif

maybe you're right, but i'd have to watch it again; i distinctly remember a portion where all five valks stand in a circle and fire off their rail guns from the SAP, (i recall both armored and non armored monochrome for the lunar show), maybe my memory is just really shoddy, but i can confirm when i get home.

Edited by emajnthis

Here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ONMQ5rZic0k

The "Festival" starts at 3:00 - and I've noticed several things I've never seen before about the colour schemes. Sylvie flies a solid red 2SS with white highlights and no SAP, while the rest of Fairie Squadron has identical orange birds in a similar scheme. Later at 4:15, Major Nexx and his group do some target practice with 2SS SAPs. His plane (with the unique-to-him heavier gun pod) seems to be light blue with white stripes (normally it's the grey with blue stripes seen above), and his squadmates might be light green with white stripes? Interesting.

Later, when Sylvie and Wendy are ambushed in the demo model of the Metal Siren, Nex launches with Fairie Squadron in their usual birds; Nastasha just happens to by flying a 2SS with Sylvie's nominal red trim instead of her own lavender stripes. Funny, that.

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

Okay people, you are confusing the hell out of the Macross II newb here :)

Who are these VF-2SS Valkyries with the solid colored hulls (like Sylvie's red with white stripes fighter)?

Are these the "acrobatic team" that Zinjo was talking about? If that's the case, I obviously misunderstood the description and got the second batch of colors wrong.

Okay people, you are confusing the hell out of the Macross II newb here :)

Who are these VF-2SS Valkyries with the solid colored hulls (like Sylvie's red with white stripes fighter)?

Are these the "acrobatic team" that Zinjo was talking about? If that's the case, I obviously misunderstood the description and got the second batch of colors wrong.

first batch of colors are good, second batch of colors, reverse the white with the unique color and that's the acrobatic squad.

first batch of colors are good, second batch of colors, reverse the white with the unique color and that's the acrobatic squad.

I have no idea what that means, but I'm going to assume that the Red colored VF-2SS with white stripes (along with the blue, green and yellow colored Valkyires with white stripes) are the acrobatic team.

As for the other colors, I'm going to stick to the greey/blue hulls and colored stripes. Based on the video link, I don't think the SAP VF-2SS fighter were meant to be a different color. It's probably just the lighting environment.

Edited by Mr March