Maxfactory's Figma Line

wolfx

Zero Suit Samus is brand new, she's never had a Figma. But it does appear they're re-releasing the armored figure again, for like the fifth time, I really don't know who doesn't have one at this point that wanted one, same with Figma Link.

I don't have that Figma Samus yet, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't enough news on this thread for a figure line with so many releases. Anyway I was on Hlj and noticed that there is a preorder for a figma guyver 2 fm. It says it's one from the manga, which must take place sometime after all the anime, ova, and movies ended. I have never read the manga in hopes an anime version would come out with at least an ending, but I thought the figure looked really great so I had to preorder it anyway. Hopefully more guyver figmas are on the way. I also have the guyver 1 figma to go with it and thought it was just a one off thing.

The female Guyver 2? That is a weird thing.

It is from farther through the manga the last anime released, but it ALSO first appeared in anime.

In the FIRST Guyver animation, Guyver: Out of Control, Guyver 2 was female. Simple and straightforward enough.

Fast forward two decades, and the design got reused in the manga as a FOURTH Guyver... which isn't called Guyver 4 because PLOT.

So this doll can be that first animated Guyver 2 OR the manga Guyver 2 F, depending on how weird you want to be.

Edited by JB0

It is strange that the other sites don't list that movie version. Was the Guyver II in the manga originally female, I haven't read it yet so excuse my ignorance.

Guyver II in the comics was very male. It has been years, but as I recall, he was the kind of male you often see in comics that look like they're wearing football shoulder pads ALL THE TIME.

He was changed to female for Guyver: Out of Control, almost certainly to add a chance for some sexy drawings. At the time, there wasn't a lot of Guyver comics to adapt, so the show ends with the first appearance of Guyver III(no information as to who he is was available).

MUCH later the manga added Guyver II F, which is a completely distinct character and mostly-distinct guyver unit from the original Guyver II. (And it would be a lot less confusing if she was named Guyver IV, though there are good plot reasons for her to not be Guyver IV.)

The author reuses the decades-old OoC Guyver II design in a completely new context... and as an excuse to add some sexy drawings. The more things change, right?

The "movie version" is being overlooked by most of the sites because OoC is largely forgotten. It was released before Guyver "got big".

(Editor's note: I keep having to review these posts for consistency, as I flip between arabic and roman numerals more or less randomly on Guyver names.)

Edited by JB0

Thanks for clearing that up. It been years since I've even seen the old films/ova's. I don't have a working vcr, but have the tapes boxed up. The only thing of guyver I have on dvd is the complete set of the tv series from a few years back.

I still think after doing a search it seems strange bbts is the only place I could find listing that variant of the figure.

Thanks for clearing that up. It been years since I've even seen the old films/ova's. I don't have a working vcr, but have the tapes boxed up. The only thing of guyver I have on dvd is the complete set of the tv series from a few years back.

I still think after doing a search it seems strange bbts is the only place I could find listing that variant of the figure.

Maybe it is some sort of web exclusive figure thus regular Japanese retailers won't offer it. The same happened with the Link Figma from the new 3DS game. There was a web shop exclusive with more accessories and a standard release. BBTS offered both (with a mark-up), HLJ only the standard release.

WAAAAAAAANT.

Can't say I'm too excited about the extra helmet and short haired Samus as I never did play Other M.

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-3/maxfactory-2016年12月發售-figma《metroid-other-m-》samus-aran-zero-suit-ver-6480yen連稅/

max161201.jpg

Edited by UN Spacy

Short-haired Samus has a certain Duenan Knute vibe going on... I like it. My only nitpick, and it's a minor one, is that her expression, at least what's been shown so far, is very dead-pan and thus, completely devoid of emotion or character.

Short-haired Samus has a certain Duenan Knute vibe going on... I like it. My only nitpick, and it's a minor one, is that her expression, at least what's been shown so far, is very dead-pan and thus, completely devoid of emotion or character.

I don't see her expression as emotionless. I do think the change is subtle between the different faces, with her glaring face adding angles to the brow/eye line along with those pursed/serious looking lips. It definitely is more of a business face than the kind face that has been on display with the figure thus far. I think a third face would be cool to add variety, but I don't know if I would want a yelling face on Samus like the one included with the Motoko Kusanagi figmas.

I really thought Samus would sell out by now.

The Figma Samus Aran was pretty hard to find after the first release, but that and Link have been reissued at least 2 or 3 times (IIRC).

I pulled the trigger on Justin Bailey when the orders opened up at HLJ. Now I will have an incentive to make room to display them both.

-b.

I really hope that this figure is a success since I want a variety of different suits form all the different games in figma form. Since the different beam weaponry and missiles are so distinctive in shape and color I also would love if the include effect parts for those weapons either as an accessory or accessory pack in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally received my Motoko Kusanagi Max Factory Figma from Ghost in the Shell Arise. As my first Figma ever purchased, this is one helluva an introduction. This figure is incredible. You can just feel the quality in this product, from the design, to the joints and articulation to the colors and painting. I have other figures of similar size from different manufacturers, but Figma has got to be one of the best. The quality control is amazing, especially for the painted portions, like the face. And the detail is extraordinariy for such a tiny figure. I mean, Motoko's eyes even have lashes, which look great. I like the way the whole figure is put together and the design/articulation choices they made. This Figma is not the most articulated action figure I've ever purchased, but it's certainly one of the best quality toys of any high-articulation action figure I've ever seen.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Maybe I'm a bit biased because finally I have a Motoko Kusanagi figure. But honestly, this has been an excellent purchase aside from the IP.

that's great to hear! i didn't grab her, gotta spend on other things, but watching the reviews, she looks top notch. great thing about figma (possibly goes for shf as well) is that they don't reuse generic body parts. they're all custom to each figure so far as i've seen...but like the introduction to any collection...watch out for that quicksand lol

I know that feeling well, I've picked up a few more Figmas than I originally planned, but at the same time, I like using them to work out poses for character sketches. Picking up different characters is just a convenient way to get references for differing body types.

that's great to hear! i didn't grab her, gotta spend on other things, but watching the reviews, she looks top notch. great thing about figma (possibly goes for shf as well) is that they don't reuse generic body parts. they're all custom to each figure so far as i've seen...but like the introduction to any collection...watch out for that quicksand lol

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Just looking at the catalog they have on the Goodsmile website, I'm not seeing a lot of parts repetition in the figures I was interested in. But I'm most certainly satisfied with this purchase and would definitely buy more Figmas. I agree, I must be careful not to go overboard :)

I know that feeling well, I've picked up a few more Figmas than I originally planned, but at the same time, I like using them to work out poses for character sketches. Picking up different characters is just a convenient way to get references for differing body types.

I think what's impressed me the most about the Motoko Figma in comparison to something like say - my recent Boba Fett Revoltech figure from Star Wars - is the different design compromises both companies choose. Even though their modern designs are much more refined and streamlined compared to their old designs, the Revoltechs are much more willing to sacrifice appearance for articulation. In contrast, the Figmas want more attractive appearances and will sacrifice some articulation to get it. I appreciate both schools of thought, but I think in the case of Motoko Kusanagi in her tight body suit from Arise, Figma's approach looks better for this kind of unforgiving character design. Boba Fett's character design is more forgiving of an action figure with more exposed joints :)

Edited by Mr March