Akira Live Action

wolfx

I must be a telepathic mutant myself, this morning in the shower I was thinking on how cool would be to direct a movie adaptation of the manga myself, when I become a director. Too late :(

don't give up hope. the way hollywood is going, they're going to have to "re-imagine" this in a couple of years anyways.

I'm still waiting on the remake for Andromeda Strain.

Unless it had explosions, hot scientist chicks, and the virus turned people into icky mutated zombie/vampire monsters, I think a readaptation of the andromeda strain would put modern audiences to sleep. :ph34r:

let me know if the japanese make a live action movie. i don't watch american remakes or adaptions of foreign xiet.

meh, live action japanese action movies are good for a laugh or two but I can't take them seriously for anything other than a chuckle and a cheesey good time.

Hey, there are a ton of things that never really get off the ground. Otomo's Domu almost ended up in the hands of James Cameron right before Titanic. It would've been one of his next projects.

Well, its based on the manga, not the anime, so that is a plus. And he's not directly involved, just his production company is.

according to Aint It Cool News (so take it with a grain of salt):

The Hollywood Reporter story doesn't mention DiCaprio doing anything other than producing via Appian Way banner, but I have it on good authority that he is also set to star as the lead, Kaneda.

now we have Tetsuo - which isn't as big a name as DiCaprio - but it's a damn fine name. Joseph Gordon Levitt... you know - from BRICK - the upcoming STOP LOSS and G.I. JOE!

according to Aint It Cool News (so take it with a grain of salt):

The Hollywood Reporter story doesn't mention DiCaprio doing anything other than producing via Appian Way banner, but I have it on good authority that he is also set to star as the lead, Kaneda.

now we have Tetsuo - which isn't as big a name as DiCaprio - but it's a damn fine name. Joseph Gordon Levitt... you know - from BRICK - the upcoming STOP LOSS and G.I. JOE!

well, they better just go full board and give it the departed treatment then. Complete rewrite and completely localize it for a western audience. Make it take place in detroit or new york or even LA. Because, if they have two white leads, driving around in neo tokyo surrounded by a bunch of no name asian actors, or more likely, white people that some bigot casting director thinks that they look "exotic" and "oriental"... well... all I'm saying is I'll be expecting a remake or shaka zulu with daniel day lewis in blackface.

well, they better just go full board and give it the departed treatment then. Complete rewrite and completely localize it for a western audience. Make it take place in detroit or new york or even LA. Because, if they have two white leads, driving around in neo tokyo surrounded by a bunch of no name asian actors, or more likely, white people that some bigot casting director thinks that they look "exotic" and "oriental"... well... all I'm saying is I'll be expecting a remake or shaka zulu with daniel day lewis in blackface.

As I implied HERE the version of the story I'd read said just such a thing WAS HAPPENING. At which point, you have to wonder why they'd even use an ethnic name like Akira in the first place? Why not something completely milquetoasty-anglo like "Alan?"

Akira? In L.A.

Kaneda: hey Tetsuo, the clown gang is in downtown.

Tetsuo: We can head them off if we take the 101.

Kaneda: The 101 is way too crowded right now, what about 10 to the 5 to the 110?

Tetsuo: No there's a sigalert on the 10 and the 5. We can go south the 405 east on the 105 then up the 110.

Kaneda: South the 405? Let's just go to Manhattan Beach.

Tetsuo: Sounds good, let's get some Mimosas at Sharky's

Kaneda: yum!

*high fives*

Akira? In L.A.

Kaneda: hey Tetsuo, the clown gang is in downtown.

Tetsuo: We can head them off if we take the 101.

Kaneda: The 101 is way too crowded right now, what about 10 to the 5 to the 110?

Tetsuo: No there's a sigalert on the 10 and the 5. We can go south the 405 east on the 105 then up the 110.

Kaneda: South the 405? Let's just go to Manhattan Beach.

Tetsuo: Sounds good, let's get some Mimosas at Sharky's

Kaneda: yum!

*high fives*

well, it IS a science fiction movie. Maybe in the future, LA doesn't have 24 hour gridlock or... apparantly, asian male actors.

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll cast a white actress thats 1/4 chinese or something to play Kei. But then again, we need a good strong white man to truly show an asian woman what a real man is, so maybe they'll rewrite Kei to be a diminutive appeasing neo-geisha who's abused by her evil asian dad and wimp-nerd mysogynist boyfriend. But then she meets the cool white guy with the japanese name he can't pronounce and his strange friend "uh-key-ruh" and they go off and have grand adventure and kill the evil asian general bent on using his giant sky laser to destroy the good'ol United States! At the end, maybe she can squeal and jump up and down in a kimono and say, "yay white people!"

I want to have faith that this will be good but meh we will see. Ha ha lol so far the only live actoin Akira anyone is going to get is by watch Kanye West's video for "Stronger". I am suprised that not too many people noticed that. It took me a few times to realize that what was going on in it. I was like what a minute some of these scenes look very familiar

HAIL TO THE NEO HOLLYWOOD EMPIRE!!!

Seriously, who are to be the bad guys now? Will the japanese send a massive fleet to destroy what's left of Los Angeles? If they grasped the basics of the story, they should know that Akira needs to be set in Japan. But we all know that's not going to happen, which means complete rewrite, except for the bike and the mutants.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

I want to have faith that this will be good but meh we will see. Ha ha lol so far the only live actoin Akira anyone is going to get is by watch Kanye West's video for "Stronger". I am suprised that not too many people noticed that. It took me a few times to realize that what was going on in it. I was like what a minute some of these scenes look very familiar

Yeah, my friend just showed me that, she said it loked amazing. First of all, Akira... welcome to late 80s... then Kanye West? welcome to 2002...

Then I can disappoint you with two words: New Manhattan.

Well, the was fast :) Definitely disappointed. I suppose there is the rare chance that I might like it, relocation and all. Someone already made the Infernal Affairs/The Departed comparison, which worked beautifully (though I will forever like the original better). But that took Scorsese to pull off, one of films greatest talents. This film is working from the gutter now and it's gotta pull off a miracle at this point.

Oh yeah, I notice that one. But given how much everyone here lays into me every time I even mention rap, I never even bothered to post it.

its all good. I love kanye, he may be a whinny punk at times but at least he admits it, and doesn't say oh i was drunk or whatever. He is good and makes good music, and is very human and flawed and acknowledges that. Plus not too many rappers hook up with techno artists or make videos based on mangas/ animes.