Mighty Muggs for Macross...

miriya

So if you have not seen the Mighty Muggs they are a hasbro toy banking on the popularity of "designer toys" figures such as Dunnys and so forth. They have 2 lines of Star Wars and also marvel. But I figured that these would be great for customizing.

I will probably do the Milia first and then either the Hikaru or the Zentraedi Warrior if the first one turns out. Here are some images, first a "real" mighty muggs figure and then my concept sketches.

post-4840-1203366497_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1203366540_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1203366576_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1203366617_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1203366643_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ryno! I hope to finish these and bring them to the con along with the rei valkgirl, the kicker773 Kurt Custom box (Dont worry Kicker773, you will get yours first), and my 1/55 VF-1J Zentraedi "Kamjin's Hijack" Scheme custom.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am soaking Han Solo in Pine Sol. Couldn't help but think of the scene at the end of Empire. Because he floats I will soak him on one side for 24 hours and then another side for 24 hours and hopefully that will get the paint off. In the meantime I am awaiting my Tamiya order.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the project...

I have soaked Han Solo in Pine sol for 2 weeks and the paint is still just barely coming off.

It would have taken me much less time and energy to just sand him down from the beginning.

Maybe it is the paint they used for this toy. Probably automotive strength lacquer enamel with depleted uranium.

Also, his insides got filled with pinesol which made him impossible to take apart. (I know, I should have taken him apart first!). I am such a noob!

Anyway, , ,

So the stormtrooper is getting primer coats. I did sand one portion of his torso and it was very exhausting (for a lazy ass like me). I just decided to see what happens if I just spray a primer coat on top of his current paint job. Well, I did screw up by not washing him first with soap as some of the paint did some beading. Second or third coat of primer will hopefully correct this or I may sand and then coat again.

By the way these motherjumpers are hard as hell to take apart. The torso needs to be cracked in two and they use some sort of nasa grade adhesive inside to hold the two torso halves together. With a thick exacto blade and a flat head screwdriver it can be cracked open but damage was inevitable.

Next step for me is to dry out han and then lightly sand him before primer coating. Then finish priming the storm trooper. Then masking and painting.

I have decided to do instead of Hikaru in SDFM flightsuit, to do Milia in SDFM flightsuit (for practice) and then the Milia in DYRL Meltraendi flightsuit.

I will post my progress here.

I have decided to do instead of Hikaru in SDFM flightsuit, to do Milia in SDFM flightsuit (for practice) and then the Milia in DYRL Meltraendi flightsuit.

I will post my progress here.

Quite the amount of work/progress so far. GREAT JOB!!! I can't wait to see the results. Now we all know the real reason you chose to do Milia instead of Hikaru......you are a Milia/Miria/Miriya FREAK....but that's why were your friends. ^_^

:ph34r:

Quite the amount of work/progress so far. GREAT JOB!!! I can't wait to see the results. Now we all know the real reason you chose to do Milia instead of Hikaru......you are a Milia/Miria/Miriya FREAK....but that's why were your friends. ^_^

:ph34r:

You know I am a freak! Just wait until the MW convention and after a few pints of Tequila in me! Then you will see the real freak!

But anyway, I just hope that I can get Milia's face right. The hikaru is easy because all you have to do is get his killer bangs and sideburn bits and then throw in some eyes, nose and mouth lines. For milia, she needs to look sexy. That will be a challenge.

• 4 months later...

ahhh , they have these at the art store by my house..nice learning experience anyway right Miriya???

thought about masking then spraying or just gonna hand brush??

Hey Miriya,

I know things have been busy but any progress on this? I've been wishing I had the SDCC Iron Man Mighty Muggs and came across blank ones on the Hasbro site! It might make things a little easier:

Maybe I'll try one too! :)

Edited by orguss01

• 2 months later...
Hey Miriya,

I know things have been busy but any progress on this? I've been wishing I had the SDCC Iron Man Mighty Muggs and came across blank ones on the Hasbro site! It might make things a little easier:

post-1887-1217827208_thumb.jpg post-1887-1217827221_thumb.jpg post-1887-1217827228_thumb.jpg

Maybe I'll try one too! :)

I cant believe I did not see this until now! This makes it MUCH easier!

I hope to get back on this project at some point soon but I am in the process of a diorama, a 1/48 valk makeover, the VF-25 kit and a few others! Not enough time!!!

I may actually start painting these some day soon.

EDIT:

Addition:

Do you think I should paint the face like the penciled in one or keep the visor up like the original sketch above?

Edited by miriya

Do you think I should paint the face like the penciled in one or keep the visor up like the original sketch above?
They're both cool though I think the visible face is cuter. :)

Are the blank ones only available online in Hasbro.com?
Yup, see the link above. I ordered a few but haven't gotten to them yet.

Have fun! :)

WOW! can't wait to see these painted Miriya. :)

i've recently really gotten into the custom muggs, and have actually started a site dedicated to them.

it's pretty cool, and i only post upon the artist's consent - so it's kinda like an online art gallery.

check it out if you are into that sorta thing: www.mugglab.com

i'd love to see more of you guys doing custom muggs... judging by the model work on some of your profile pages, you guys are old-hat at this sorta thing... still, i'd love to see something that hasn't been done yet - like a macross designs on a mugg.

if you're interested, contact me and i'll put yours up on the site.

WOW! can't wait to see these painted Miriya. :)

i've recently really gotten into the custom muggs, and have actually started a site dedicated to them.

it's pretty cool, and i only post upon the artist's consent - so it's kinda like an online art gallery.

check it out if you are into that sorta thing: www.mugglab.com

i'd love to see more of you guys doing custom muggs... judging by the model work on some of your profile pages, you guys are old-hat at this sorta thing... still, i'd love to see something that hasn't been done yet - like a macross designs on a mugg.

if you're interested, contact me and i'll put yours up on the site.

Cool site dr.mugg!

When mine are finished I will be happy to have them up on your site. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Any more progress on yours, Miriya?

Would love to see what you've done so far with the green-haired one.

Hope you're still working on it! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been putting it off too much. I am scattered like crazy and trying to do several models, dioramas, customs, all bit by bit a tiny bit of time at a time in my limited free time. But I think that I really just need to bust out the masking tape and spray cans soon. Right now though it has been raining for weeks and the forcast expects more. I would rather not do spray painting in those conditions as the shed that I spray in has no back wall and a broken window! Yup it is pretty jankey. Anyway, maybe I will get the masking tape up on milia later today.

I am practicing my foam core cutting by making a little diorama base for my Gurren Lagann figures. The purpose of that is to have the skills to do my airlock door diorama extension to RON5864's diorama which I have started with the styrene for the actual airlock. I am still working on my destroid (needs clear coat and decals/stickers). Then I have some resin models that I should be working on too.

Anyway I really do want to get this DYRL Milia meltraendi flightsuit mighty mug going. Hopefully I will make some progress. And when I do, I will post here.