CG Star Wars movie in theatres this august

lord_breetai

Is this even worth a DL?

I liked it for what it was.

Animated Clone Wars with an animation twist.

I could have done without the back talk from her to Anakin and Anakin direct quoting Obi Wan or Yoda as a master like he believed all the sh*t about patience and not having to prove yourself.

Edited by Chewie

I just read it from Wikipedia. Anakin have a Padawan? C'mon Anakin never became a Jedi Master, how he could receive a Padawan? <_< I don't think this will fit with the rest of the original star wars trilogy.

Clone war movie would be better if the main cast is not included in the story IMO. :unsure:

I just read it from Wikipedia. Anakin have a Padawan? C'mon Anakin never became a Jedi Master, how he could receive a Padawan? <_< I don't think this will fit with the rest of the original star wars trilogy.

Clone war movie would be better if the main cast is not included in the story IMO. :unsure:

I don't think you need to have the rank of master to have a padawan. Kenobi took on anakin as his apprentice when Kenobi had just earned the rank of Knight.

Watched it. I liked the action and stuff but gawd the dialogue was horrid. And i absolutely hate Ahsoka as a character too. She's too annoying. If you thought the interaction between Obiwan and Anakin was crappy....the interaction between Anakin and Asohka is even worse. And wtf is with Xero/Zero, jabba's cousin. A tranny Hutt? Urgh..... :rolleyes:

That guy was right about the toys. Lucas knows what he is doing to keep the $ flowing *wink*

heehee Starwars is a toy franchise now where movies are made from it, rather than a movie franchise with toys made from it.

Meh I will end up seeing it because I liked the 2d clone wars toon as I never took SW as seriously as the hardcore fan so I won't have set any expectations. I will treat it like a direct to dvd movie.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something's off about the art.

Was it the fact that, despite being CGI, that it sorta looked like Claymation at times? Or the fact that the CGI just wasn't that good in the first place?

Here's my take... had it been broken up into a three-part episode and shown on TV (which was probably the original plan), it would have been good, and the little things about it that were off, like spoken narration instead of the classic scrolling text and the modified theme music would have been more easily forgiven. But as a Star Wars movie that you pay money to see in the theater, it was kind of disappointing.

Not as bad as I was told. The "Sky Guy" and "Snips" names are LAME! That Starship Troopers lame-o voice over/intro in the beginning was pathetic. I guess they thought the usual scroll over was too hard to read for the kids.

It wasn't just that the "Snips" nickname was lame, it was that he used it so often that the dialog became unnatural. "C'mon, Snips. We've got to shut down the shield, Snips. Stop screwing around, Snips."

and oh....clone troopers are allowed different haircuts. And I think Rex speaks with a more "Brit" accent :lol:

XD

But you don't have a problem with them having different names? :)

Look everyone, If you didn't like Episodes I, II or III why would you go and see this or even care too much about it. I like the Prequel Trilogy as much as I like the Original Trilogy. I liked the Micro series, which by the way did not have the "scroll" at its beginning either. And I like this as well. I'm looking forward to the regular series that follows this. I'm also looking forward to the Live-Action series as well. After the let-down that is the new BSG, SW is the only decent SF franchise to look forward to on the small screen. But then again, I don't look at the OT through rose colored glasses. I reccognize and enjoy all of SW as it really is. A science fantasy excuse to see really cool spaceships pound the crap out of each other & to see lightsabers clash. If you are expecting SW to be the epic to end all epics, you are in for some serious disappointment.

I liked the Micro series, which by the way did not have the "scroll" at its beginning either.

Right, but that just reinforced the fact that what you were watching wasn't supposed to be a movie.

If you are expecting SW to be the epic to end all epics, you are in for some serious disappointment.

In a way, you've just summed up what's wrong with Clone Wars. And it's not that it's not an "epic to end all epics," it's that it's really not that epic at all. As a pilot for a TV series, it's fine. Had I watched it as a three-parter on TV, I would said "hey, this is one of the better shows on!" But, even though it's pretty obvious that Clone Wars was meant for TV, Lucas chose to shove the pilot into theaters. And the disappointment comes from the fact that it's just not theater-worthy Star Wars.

Right, but that just reinforced the fact that what you were watching wasn't supposed to be a movie.

In a way, you've just summed up what's wrong with Clone Wars. And it's not that it's not an "epic to end all epics," it's that it's really not that epic at all. As a pilot for a TV series, it's fine. Had I watched it as a three-parter on TV, I would said "hey, this is one of the better shows on!" But, even though it's pretty obvious that Clone Wars was meant for TV, Lucas chose to shove the pilot into theaters. And the disappointment comes from the fact that it's just not theater-worthy Star Wars.

meh, honestly, half of the SW movies weren't theater worthy. <_<

The problem with Clone Wars has NOTHING to do with the fact that it's "TV shown as a movie". The older TV Clone Wars mini-series eps shown before ROTS were inherently better. Cheaper to make for sure, but I enjoyed them far more. I often watch them straight through as a 2-hour movie. It's a sheer quality of plot/writing issue here.

does anyone know why they changed the animation to CG in the first place? Was it just one of the arbitrary changes when Lucas took over?

To justify opening an Animation Studio in Singapore and outsourcing what could have been a lot of American Animation Jobs :ph34r:

After the let-down that is the new BSG, SW is the only decent SF franchise to look forward to on the small screen.

wow, I think you might be in the minority on both of those opinions

Edited by chowyunskinny

bwahaha, the basic premise of admiral thrawn is so incredibly stupid, I can't take anything in those books seriously. I do agree that those books are the "best" out of the various SW books, but that really isn't saying much.

Woah, whats wrong with Thrawn? i loved him in the books!

Novels after the SW trailogy are numerous, but they range in quality from awesome to aweful. if u just want to stick to the "must reads:"

- Timothy Zahn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)

- Jedi Academy Trilogy (Only mediocre books, but important for stuff later)

- I, Jedi

- Hand of Thrawn Dualogy

After that it greatly depends on your like of the start of New Jedi Order series . i didnt like it at all, and stopped reading very early on. My wife loves it though. Also, Im a huge fan of the X-Wing series (8 books from memory) but then Wedge Antilles is my favourite Star Wars chaarcter, and these follow him a lot. Theres other ones interspersed that are decent as well, but thats the main ones I think u need to have it make sense.

The idea that you could study the art of a world and be able to understand what they would do in a tactical situation is beyond funny. I mean, just look at earth. Let's say that art is representational of the culture that produced it, well, there's hundreds of modern functioning cultures and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of subcutlures, supressed cultures and lost cultures.

So if we apply that to the SW galaxy where there are hundreds, if not thousands of inhabitated worlds and cultures... we're quickly talking about thousands or millions of distinct cultures. So thrawn has to be able to look at the way the ship is flying and be able to deduce not only what race/species is in command but also what particular subculture.

But the basic premise doesn't even make sense. Art can be produced for various reasons, profane, sacred, personal, public and depending upon those restrictions you can have enormously different results and sometimes, contrary results. For instance, ancient egyptian art, their drawings and statues remained constant and formulaic for centuries yet their architecture was ingenius and daring.

It's such a dumb conceit for an otherwise interesting character and one that just wasn't needed. It would have been just as easy to say that he was a failed force sensitive who could predict his opponents moves through the force... but to say he has studied the art of every race and culture in the galaxy and thus could predict the moves of individuals? That's just so completely absurd.

Though he didnt use art to predict everything, nor did he use it in every situation. Off the top of my head i can think of it only being used twice actually in combat; the other times he only uses it to get a general sense of the species.

That he could get a sense of a species is ridiculous enough. That he could actually predict the tactical and strategic moves of adversaries is beyond ridiculous, it's just staggeringly stupid.

Again, just looking at earth... hundreds of cultures, millions if not billions of pieces of art. I mean, lets just say that by looking at enough art you could get a feel of a culture... well, european and asian cultures have some distinct differences and that's just simplifing things. How could thrawn, or anybody else look at a ship and say with any certainty not only what species is commanding it but what particular culture/religion/gender/age of that species? Because all those things are going to have huge ramifications in how that individual would react.

It's just such an un-needed and poorly thought out gimmick and one that isn't needed because there is already a well established mechanic in the SW universe to explain how and why Thrawn could out maneuver his enemies.

Woah, whats wrong with Thrawn? i loved him in the books!

Novels after the SW trailogy are numerous, but they range in quality from awesome to aweful. if u just want to stick to the "must reads:"

- Timothy Zahn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command)

- Jedi Academy Trilogy (Only mediocre books, but important for stuff later)

- I, Jedi

- Hand of Thrawn Dualogy

After that it greatly depends on your like of the start of New Jedi Order series . i didnt like it at all, and stopped reading very early on. My wife loves it though. Also, Im a huge fan of the X-Wing series (8 books from memory) but then Wedge Antilles is my favourite Star Wars chaarcter, and these follow him a lot. Theres other ones interspersed that are decent as well, but thats the main ones I think u need to have it make sense.

You left out the excellent Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss.

i havent read those, but even so he asked about stuff post ROTJ.

Eugi - Depends on the ship, but even aside form that i dont recall him looking at a ship and knowing the species crewing it. But i havent actually read the books in....well, years, so Ill have to check again.

i havent read those, but even so he asked about stuff post ROTJ.

Eugi - Depends on the ship, but even aside form that i dont recall him looking at a ship and knowing the species crewing it. But i havent actually read the books in....well, years, so Ill have to check again.

I distinctly remember him engaging some ships and he talks about how the captain is a such and such and orders some formation and pellaeon freaks out and Thrawn tells him, "blah blah, studied their art, blah blah blah, they're psychologicaly incapable of countering this formation" and proceeds to blast them to little bits. It was a cool sequence but completely ridiculous.

There was just so many other ways to write that scene and how Thrawn did what he did, such as having fought against that captain before, thrawn having latent force powers, thrawn studying the captains of strategic areas...

I think that was the ONE time something like that happened, and it was believable because it explained how that species was (basically) like Vulcans, but to an even more extreme step--purely logical, with pure order. Everything nice and patterned with straight lines and right angles. So an attack comprised of purely "random" patterns and curves probably would be darn-near uncounterable by them.

It's not like he plotted an entire war based on some little manuever that humans aren't good at countering based on his study of Matisse.

Frankly, there'd be a zillion ways to learn that "whatever species it was" was basically incapable of comprehending "random 3D curves" or whatever---and you can bet every commander in the fleet was probably aware of that and used it to their advantage whenever possible. Thrawn just liked to show off via art...