The origins of Exedor?

Keith

Flipping through the channels this evening, I came across an episode of Mork & Mindy, which I haven't watched in countless years. So it surprised me when I saw this character:

Exidor http://www.startrekitaliamagazine.it/Stand...one/exidor2.jpg

Who bore a striking resemblance in both hair, slight facial features, and name to this character:

Exedor http://www.rtucn.com/epic/people/jpg/exedore.jpg

Coincidence?

Exedor is a valid romanization no one here is talking about robotech.

It could be worse he could be wanting us to write things in katakana or hiragana or which ever it is used... <_<

LoL it doesn't matter how the name SOUNDS. Spelling is spelling. And Exsedol isn't some japanese version of Exedore. His name is Exsedol. That's Zentran. I think to many people have been watching that Fan Subbed version of Macross 7 where they call them Exedore and Miria and thought those were the official subs :p

As long as it's pretty close to how it sounds, whatever for me now. Now if you start calling Hikaru, Rick, and Misa, Lisa, and Kakizaki, Ben... Then you're likely to get poked by everyone. :p

By the way doesn't DYRL Exedore remind you of the Talosians from Star Trek TOS episode "The Cage"?

talosiankeeperbs0.jpg

I propose a universal naming scheme.

ブリタイ・クリダニク is henceforth to be referred to exclusively as "Chromedome"

エキセドル・フォルモ shall be known exclusively as "Ol' Lumpy"

ミリア・ファリーナ・ジーナス will be referred to as "Hot Mom"

I feel this new naming scheme should remove any confusion, and make it quite clear that we're talking about the Macross characters as opposed to their Robotech counterparts, who are referred to under the new system as "Poopyhead," "Poopyhead," and "Hot Poopyhead.

I propose a universal naming scheme.

ブリタイ・クリダニク is henceforth to be referred to exclusively as "Chromedome"

エキセドル・フォルモ shall be known exclusively as "Ol' Lumpy"

ミリア・ファリーナ・ジーナス will be referred to as "Hot Mom"

I feel this new naming scheme should remove any confusion, and make it quite clear that we're talking about the Macross characters as opposed to their Robotech counterparts, who are referred to under the new system as "Poopyhead," "Poopyhead," and "Hot Poopyhead.

I agree with all of the above except:

ミリア・ファリーナ・ジーナス

Should be referred to as "Super hot MILF raining down hellfire!

First -- to the "Exedore/Exsedol" fight -- "Lum" "Lamu" "Lam" "Ram" "Ramu" "Rum", all coming from "ラム•インベーダー", and all used at one point or another on official tchotchkies from Studio Pierrot.

And while I'm not discounting the uncanny similarities between Robert Donner and Exedor Folmo, (and the names of the characters) I don't quite buy that the character "Exidor" influenced the character "Exedor." Original drawings of the character (from Perfect Memory) show him to be macrocephalic and bald, and those were done well after the Exidor character first was introduced on Mork and Mindy. It could be that Mikimoto was influenced by Donner's characterization and look, but it seems a stretch.

But then again, stranger things have happened, and nothing's created in a vacuum, either :)

Oh, and JBO, I'm whole-heartedly behind your naming convention. :))

Really good thread. And I agree with the comment about the new exedor with tentacles looking like The Leader from the hulk.

That's always what I'm reminded of when I see broccoli head.

SheHulk19.jpg

Maybe many thousands of years ago, Exedor was once a supervillain in a comic book until the PC captured him and made clones for themselves?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 2 weeks later...