1/55 Bandai VF-1S Strike Valk question re. heat shield

Robert D

I was wondering if anyone can fill me as to wheather or not the skull and crossbones on the VF-1S heatshield is painted on or is a sticker. I have this toy which came with no sticker sheet, but the instructions show a sticker (#35) being placed on the heatshield. My heatshield is plain black which would imply that the sticker was not put on, however, I've seen some shots which look as if the skull and crossbones is painted on, a la the Takatoku VF-1S.

Can someone please clear this up for me?

which 1/55 are you talking about? The original High-Metal strike or the Bandai re-issue's?

The original Chunk-E -Monk-E had a stickered Jolly Rogers emblem on the heat shield.

Strike Valkyrie is referenced in the post title, of which there was only one.

My original 1/55 Takatoku VF1S has the skull painted on the heatshield.

Unfortunately, I sold my Strike last month and I don't remember whether it had a stamp or sticker.

The 1984 1/55 Bandai VF-1S Strike Valkyrie came with a light-amber colored canopy already screwed on from the factory. A black canopy (heat shield) was also packaged with it so that you could swap them out for asthetic purposes. The heat shield is plain black; it did not have the skull & cross bones painted on it (a sticker was provided on the sticker sheet). Additionally, a few 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyries came with a clip-on red heat shield (same as the one that comes with 1984 Bandai 1/55 VF-1A).

The 1984 1/55 Bandai VF-1S Strike Valkyrie came with a light-amber colored canopy already screwed on from the factory. A black canopy (heat shield) was also packaged with it so that you could swap them out for asthetic purposes. The heat shield is plain black; it did not have the skull & cross bones painted on it (a sticker was provided on the sticker sheet). Additionally, a few 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyries came with a clip-on red heat shield (same as the one that comes with 1984 Bandai 1/55 VF-1A).

I thought the clip shield was an after thought for the '84 Strike Valkyrie. It did come with the VF-1A but not the Strike. The red clip shield would be purchased seperately.

If xstoys is around, he can give us more insight on this plus a picture of the clip shield.

Hey Alex,

Yes, you are correct about the red heat shield. When Bandai first issued the 1/55 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie, it came with a screw-in "amber canopy" and a screw-in "black canopy" which could be interchanged; but not with out unscrewing it. As far as I know there was no painted skull on either colored heatshield; the skull sticker had to be added to achieve the full look. Perhaps it didn't dawn on Bandai during the Strike Valk's production run until later, that the Hikaru Strike should have a red heat shield; instead of black.

This error was later corrected via an in-store promotion, where a Strike owner feeling the need to be complete with a red heat shield, could pluck an order form off a POP (point of purchase) display and get a clip-on heat shield directly from Bandai. Along with the order form, Bandai also gave you a free "Hi-Metal" sticker that was available from the POP display. The actual display included several order forms & Hi-Metal stickers; along with a few red clip-on heat shields for show only. This same clip-on red heat shield was later inlcuded in the 1/55 Bandai Hikaru VF-1A.

Hope this helps... :rolleyes:

I thought the clip shield was an after thought for the '84 Strike Valkyrie. It did come with the VF-1A but not the Strike. The red clip shield would be purchased seperately.

If xstoys is around, he can give us more insight on this plus a picture of the clip shield.

• 6 years later...