Macross DYRL: Proper English Fandub

Hikuro

Okay so I now have a bluray burner and plan to get a ripping program next month. so I'm just about ready.

But something still bugs me, Robotechpodcaster still has my video. Any advice? While the video footage itself isn't mine, the audio is. I worked on it, my creation and certaintly my voice is being used without permission.

• 2 weeks later...

Random thought, anyone interested in 3D DYRL? The most simplistic form I can do is the traditional Red/Blue overlay so all you'd need are glasses. However I think I will possess the software for full color spectrum, although I wont be able to view it on my side. The burner I have will play 3D, but my Laptop is not compatible for that.

The program I'm going to get is called xilisoft if anyones heard of it. It'll allow me to rip the blu ray encode and convert it to any format I wish. Following that I'll be using adobe cs6 to subtitle the Zentran speach. I hadn't decided if I'll be subbing the Minmay songs, probably will but they wont be flashy.

Suggestions?

Depending on how heavy the alterations have been to the DYRL film on Blu-ray, I may just redo a lot of the audio other than vocals, vocals are just fine as they are.

I know there are still some things I'd like to make corrections on, and maybe this will be the best chance to do that!

Just in case no one else has said it lately, I'm totally stoked to see the finished product of this project.

I've probably watched the one you have on youtube 6 or 7 times already.

Edited by Benson13

Random thought, anyone interested in 3D DYRL? The most simplistic form I can do is the traditional Red/Blue overlay so all you'd need are glasses. However I think I will possess the software for full color spectrum, although I wont be able to view it on my side. The burner I have will play 3D, but my Laptop is not compatible for that.

The program I'm going to get is called xilisoft if anyones heard of it. It'll allow me to rip the blu ray encode and convert it to any format I wish. Following that I'll be using adobe cs6 to subtitle the Zentran speach. I hadn't decided if I'll be subbing the Minmay songs, probably will but they wont be flashy.

Suggestions?

I'm not big on the 3D gimmick, at all. I find it distracting from what's really there, especially if it's not originally shot in 3D. I'd leave this as 2D. As for subbing the Minmay songs, I'd suggest doing it. having subs of the song shouldn't take up too much space, if done right. That's my $0.02.

I agree with Jason on both accounts. Plus it'll give my daughter the lyrics to sing. You should hear her sing the opening theme to SDFM, it's horrible and awesome at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing an HD test, and the first one to get the treatment is Macross Zero Episode 1. It'll be presented on my Youtube channel in 1280x720 HD 720p format. I honestly dunno if my laptop will be able to handle the rendering, so far I've been waiting 10 minutes just to see what it will do and it's still at 0% lol. But you know what? if it looks good then DYRL will be next!

Zentraedi subtitles are done. I really like how they came out! Next is keying in some of the audio of the english dub intot he animation and timing the music score around that. Then I need to figure out how to do rolling credits.

Tested the new audio, it did not sync well, AT ALL. Just 5 minutes in and it becomes 4 seconds slow from the animation. I might of used a bad version. Which this bugs me, I had to convert a WAV file to MP3 to use on a 700 dollar program. WTF?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I managed to sneak to work for a lil while and use my pc there. I got just Angel's Paint to subtitle and FINALLY fixed the credit roll issue i was having. Damn youtube tutorials some of them are just worthless.

I might go back to work tomorrow morning bright and early to finish the subtitles and get this thing pumped out. I wonder if Youtube will lemme put up all 2 hours?

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching this, I'm pretty bowled over! The dub team did an excellent job for the most part (I had issues with Roy... it sounded really forced, but otherwise well done!) I loved it!

A few constructive comments:

-The voice audio track is considerably louder than the background noise/music/SFX track... there were one or two points where I had to adjust the volume dependent upon whether or not someone was speaking (usually involving Roy early on)

-The new voice tracks don't always jive with where the characters are.... (no reverb effect based on the size of the room they were standing in, etc), they kind of sound removed from what's going on around them

-The new SFX added fit perfectly!

You did an incredible job with this. I *really* wish I had it on disc, but I can stream youtube through my PS3 onto my HD tv, which is almost as good. Thanks for all your hard work!

Edited by Skull Leader

• 1 month later...

Thank you. If I can get more time I plan to do more, I've even got great equipment to make better movies, now if I can just found a sound ripper that'll work on PS3 Blu-ray discs I could gather up a lot better higher quality sound effects and tackle Frontier.

Ok I gotta remember to check back on that tonight.

In other news, my channel has nearly 100 videos and as of yesterday 491 subscribers. I said if we hit 500 before New Years I'd have a huge announcement, one that could shake, rattle and roll the fandom in celebration....I hope.

I will be checking the channel today at lunch and again tonight. If I don't see the magic number then ill only tease my channel versus announcing it in whole here as to my plans for 2013.

Only a select few I work with if ask I will tell.

Well this really does suck, I had such a huge announcement I was ready to make today, but the channel is shy 5 subs to do it and it's now 2013. Well nuts :p I guess everyone is just gonna have to wait until this is much more solid.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all my first post here.

Hikuro, just want to say that your work is simply amazing. Thank you for the effort. Just a few comments on the dub if you don't mind. Nothing much really, but i thought that certain sound effects are iconic to the movie and if you can easily keep them in I think you should. One was the Regult laser blasts coming towards Hiraru's Valk in the first battle. I love the original sound. They are so unique. The guy in the audience yelling out Minmay's name in her first concert should also be kept in. I think it's a lot better than the dubbed heckler's whistle and I think it showed the audiences affection for her. Lastly is the klaxon signals during the transformation, I think, like the Regult laser blasts, its iconic to the movie as well.

Anyhow, your work is outstanding and can't wait to see more. Thank you again.

Hi all my first post here.

Hikuro, just want to say that your work is simply amazing. Thank you for the effort. Just a few comments on the dub if you don't mind. Nothing much really, but i thought that certain sound effects are iconic to the movie and if you can easily keep them in I think you should. One was the Regult laser blasts coming towards Hiraru's Valk in the first battle. I love the original sound. They are so unique. The guy in the audience yelling out Minmay's name in her first concert should also be kept in. I think it's a lot better than the dubbed heckler's whistle and I think it showed the audiences affection for her. Lastly is the klaxon signals during the transformation, I think, like the Regult laser blasts, its iconic to the movie as well.

Anyhow, your work is outstanding and can't wait to see more. Thank you again.

They could not be kept, the appropriate SFX's were abruptly cut in the tracks I had acquired and would not of worked. But thanks for joining MW.

• 3 weeks later...