Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

Remember my post from Yesterday about how my 21 had shipped from HLJ but I was still waiting to get a shipping notice with an EMS tracking number?

Well, I had also ordered a factory colored Garland and had them ship it by SAL.

Upon coming home from work today, I found a note on my doorstep from the mail delivery guy saying that he had tried to deliver a package and had given it to my neighbors. The fact that it was delivered to my neighbor instead of taken back to the post office meant that I didn't have to pay any taxes, which usually means that it's a SAL that package got through customs without me having to pay 20% tax upon delivery. So I pick up the package from my neighbor, go home open it up and, low and behold,.. a YF friggin' 21 looks up at me!

This mutherfocker was released TWO DAYS AGO and I'm already holding it in my hands! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll take some pics in about half an hour and pose it next to the YF-19.

The booklet is thick so I'm expecting a very complex transformation.

oh, and I have another complaint for the Yamato bitching list. The 21 sits very tightly in the plastic tray, I almost had to break it to get it out. :p

BTW. I just checked my mail, still no shipping notice from HLJ. :D

I'm off to transform it, see ya's in an hour.

:::EDIT::: Fighter mode is tight like a nervous virgin!

Edited by Dante74

Here's some terrible pics.

Took me the beter part of an hour to transform it into gerwalk and then battroid. mostly because I like to be very very VERY carefull when transforming a toy for the first time. I'll try to get some better pics done this weekend inlcuding some comparison pics with valks other than the YF-19.

dsc00552gg9.jpg

dsc00557fl0.jpg

Let me just say again, this thing is tight, especially fightermode.

Now, on to the next Valk.

Yamato, where's my VF-11!?!

I think I'll get myself a beer, see ya!

Thanks for the pics! How would you compare the transformation to the 19? Easier, harder, less worrisome, more worrisome? Is there anything like 'break it's neck' fuselage of the 19?

And what are your thoughts on the locking issue? Any froppyness? :)

Thanks for the pics! How would you compare the transformation to the 19? Easier, harder, less worrisome, more worrisome? Is there anything like 'break it's neck' fuselage of the 19?

And what are your thoughts on the locking issue? Any froppyness? :)

The YF-19 is easy to transform compared to the YF-21. At one point the 21 "broke" into two pieces, just like the 19 will do when not held properly during transformation. I don't have pics to show where it came apart and it's very easy to put back together, but I did $hit my pants when it happened. :wacko:

You do have to, kind of, break it's neck when going to battroid mode, but it's much easier and less scary than on the 19. That doesn't mean that it's less tight though. It's done in a completely different fashion.

Because of the small feet, it isn't as stable as the 19 in battroid mode, but the fact that it can remain standing with all that weight on it's back is a testiment to Yamato's enginuity.

When in battroid mode, the chest/cockpit can pivot up and down a bit because it isn't really locked down tightly. It's locked, just not very well. It's not like the 19 though, where it'll just come apart when you hold it upside down. The cowl can be pushed down slightly untill you hear a soft click, which prevents it from coming apart when held upside down.

It has ratchet joint on it's ankles, knees and elbows.

Once put together porperly, the gunpod will be held very tightly and the wrist doesn't cause the gunpod to be pushed to the side like on other VF toys.

The legs and arms will NOT come off easily for delimited mode. I tried to take the legs off to make the transformation to gerwalk a little easier, but they wouldn't.

The seat can rotate backwards and the cockpit can open in battroid mode exposing Guld. It's not as simple as on the VF-0 and I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but it says so in the manual. B))

You lucky devil you, when you get a chance can you post some comparison pics between YF-19 and YF-21 in fighter. Tiny feet WOO B)) !

Sure will, but you'll have to wait untill sunday though, too busy.

That actually makes it sound pretty good to me. As long as the chest isn't as floppy as the 19 I don't think it will bug me.

Thanks again for the info!

I just picked it up be the nose/grotch and it stayed together nicely.

I only transformed it once so it might be too early to tell, but this might be Yamato's tightest, most robust 1/60 to date. It doesn't come apart when held upside down like the 19 and it isn't as fragile as the 51.

Did I mention how tight it is in fighter mode? :p

The YF-19 is easy to transform compared to the YF-21. At one point the 21 "broke" into two pieces, just like the 19 will do when not held properly during transformation. I don't have pics to show where it came apart and it's very easy to put back together, but I did $hit my pants when it happened. :wacko:

You do have to, kind of, break it's neck when going to battroid mode, but it's much easier and less scary than on the 19. That doesn't mean that it's less tight though. It's done in a completely different fashion.

Because of the small feet, it isn't as stable as the 19 in battroid mode, but the fact that it can remain standing with all that weight on it's back is a testiment to Yamato's enginuity.

When in battroid mode, the chest/cockpit can pivot up and down a bit because it isn't really locked down tightly. It's locked, just not very well. It's not like the 19 though, where it'll just come apart when you hold it upside down. The cowl can be pushed down slightly untill you hear a soft click, which prevents it from coming apart when held upside down.

Once put together porperly, the gunpod will be held very tightly and the wrist doesn't cause the gunpod to be pushed to the side like on other VF toys.

The legs and arms will NOT come off easily for delimited mode. I tried to take the legs off to make the transformation to gerwalk a little easier, but they wouldn't.

The seat can rotate backwards and the cockpit can open in battroid mode exposing Guld. It's not as simple as on the VF-0 and I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but it says so in the manual. B))

*Clears off display space and waits...* :D

Thanks for the 411, bro!! :)

-Kyp

Here's some terrible pics.

You're right....those pics suck! :p

Just kidding mate....THANKS for the pics.....I am just waitin for you to bust out some bad a$$ poses now. PLEASE do post more. BTW....That is TOO COOL that you got you 21 soooooooo soon!

:ph34r:

Aww, damn; I need some tissue. :p

How's the elbow articulation? Can it do a solid 90 degree bend?

Remember my post from Yesterday about how my 21 had shipped from HLJ but I was still waiting to get a shipping notice with an EMS tracking number?

Well, I had also ordered a factory colored Garland and had them ship it by SAL.

Upon coming home from work today, I found a note on my doorstep from the mail delivery guy saying that he had tried to deliver a package and had given it to my neighbors. The fact that it was delivered to my neighbor instead of taken back to the post office meant that I didn't have to pay any taxes, which usually means that it's a SAL that package got through customs without me having to pay 20% tax upon delivery. So I pick up the package from my neighbor, go home open it up and, low and behold,.. a YF friggin' 21 looks up at me!

This mutherfocker was released TWO DAYS AGO and I'm already holding it in my hands! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll take some pics in about half an hour and pose it next to the YF-19.

The booklet is thick so I'm expecting a very complex transformation.

oh, and I have another complaint for the Yamato bitching list. The 21 sits very tightly in the plastic tray, I almost had to break it to get it out. :p

BTW. I just checked my mail, still no shipping notice from HLJ. :D

I like to put forward once again the banning of Dante!

Thanks for the review mate! Yes, small tiny... feet, i'll have to not pose the 19 in battroid on that angle with the 21 batts.

Terrific news about the ratchet joints! Wow, tight de-limiter mode? What will they think of next? (slaps face Macaulay Culkin style)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guest sh002

oh then nevermind. people used to say it was 1/60. i think the vf-0s will look cool next to this. how about a shot with the old 1/60 vf-1?

Guest sh002

oh then nevermind. people used to say it was 1/60. i think the vf-0s will look cool next to this. how about a shot with the old 1/60 vf-1?

Don't on a VF-11B, waiting for Yamato to release a proper 1/60 version. I'll post comparison pics with all my other Valks tomorrow, too busy today.

WAHAHAHA!

well we are practically virgins when we get our first valks. everything is SO tight at first. we have to be slow and careful in handling the valk the first time, otherwise we might BREAK it. the more often we transform them the FASTER we can do it.

and you actually feeeel so good when you transform it the first time :lol:^_^

I guess you do have to jerk it off.

Transformed to battroid mode, just now. took betwween 5-7 minutes. A few small things changed since I last transformed the preproduction sample.

Joints nice and tight, stands well by itself, hands hold the gunpods really well.

For those that are saying the torso doesn't lock together, you may not be transforming it right. First, so I'm understod, let's define by what I mean by the torso.

The torso in battroid mode consists of four main assemblies, these are:-

1) The back pack and wing assembly.

2) The middle torso assembly, to which the intakes are connected by metal swing bars Also contains the hip bars.

3) The nose/cockpit assemby.

4) The intake assembly.

The backpack assembly (1) locks onto the middle assembly (2), by the two tabs on the folding plastic arm that folds down from the middle torso and locks into the inside of the backpack assembly (point 10 on the Gerwalk to Battroid Instructions). There should be an audible click when this locks into place and it is quite a solid lock. Also, point 11 on the Gerwalk to Battroid instructions show the 2 screws on the inside of the back pack slotting into the corresponding holes in the horizontal diecast grey painted back bar locaked at the rear of the intake assembly (4). This helps keep the back pack in place.

The nose/cockpit section is held in place quite securely in battroid mode, by the two metal bars on the inner side of the intakes (point 19 on the instructions). These bars lock into the horizontal split (gap) below the cockpit that you get in battroid mode. With the nose locked in place correctly, it does not flop around at all when you pick the toy up at any angle.

Definitely zero sag on my wings. Had it in fighter mode on the stand for 24 hours and the wings did not droop at all, not even a fraction of a millimeter.

Graham

Aww, damn; I need some tissue. :p

How's the elbow articulation? Can it do a solid 90 degree bend?

Yes it can. The ratcheted elbow joints are so tight that I wouldn't be surprised if it can hold up a bottle of Heineken. ^_^

The lower arms need to be pushed towards the elbow to expose the wrist guns. If you don't do that, you can even bend the elbow a little beyond 90 degrees, but not much and it does expose the elbow joint.

Brief review: this toy rocks!

This is a very sturdy toy, and it looks fantastic in both fighter and battroid modes. My toy showed up misassembled a bit - one of the wings was sitting loose in the box. But, it was an easy fix, just unscrew the base of the wing and the screw inside the landing gear hatch, and you can lever the wing base open wide enough to pop the wing into place. I'm glad that Yamato is relying less on glue, as an earlier poster noted. I wish the forward fuselage locked down a bit better in battroid, as was also noted earlier. But this toy really nails my mental image of a YF-21, which is the only 'accuracy' that applies to anime-based toys as far as I'm concerned. I doubt there'll be many breakage problems, the materials seem very tough, with metal used for some of the key transformation mechanism parts. The toy is really damn tight, but once you know what you're doing I think transformation won't be bad. I transformed the first time only checking the instructions once (for the lock-down of the back) and I was fairly rough, and the toy held up beautifully. Great job Yamato!

Maybe some pix later...

The SV-51's were all pretty good in quality. The Ivanov is the only one that had any issues and they were minor(Missiles fell off easily on the hard points.)

I picked up my Yf-21 this morning from the Post office. Hopefully, I'll have time to play with it this afternoon. :lol::lol:

got mine earlier today ^_^

it's practically perfect. lots of pointy parts, but pretty much perfect.

aside from the fact i'm afraid of a couple of parts.

there are a couple of steps in the transformation that aren't exactly clear,

like how much the back can be pushed forward for gerwalk & battroid mode & which places are safe to handle.

then again, i don't read foreign manual-ese :lol:

well, now we have Graham to explain it for us ^_^

no issues with mine, looks like that delay was worth the wait.