Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

Hopefully that 10% is just a little nitpicking and theres nothing wrong with the build or sturdiness of the toy.

meh, he just wants us to stay in this thread hitting the F5 button for the next couple of hours. It's what they call a cliffhanger in the world of daytime soaps, with this being "As the Macross World turns"

:p

Just picked mine up from the Animate in Causeway Bay. It was the last one in stock (yes, I do actually have to buy my own toys).

Will get working on the review on the weekend.

Graham

...and a transformation video right? :rolleyes:

Please?...

Ok. here we go.

This review will reflect the amount of time i've had so far to play with it. I haven't been able to do gerwalk as of yet. At work right now so Gerwalk review will come tomorrow.

First, the nit-picking. I want to get this out of the way because there is so much that;s great about this toy, I don't want to dwell on it too much.

The main issues i have with the 21 are as follows:

1) I can find no way of locking the torso in battroid mode so the fuselage just flaps there.

2) The feet ore visible in fighter mode.

2) The knee armor keeps popping off.

3) The antenna falls out easily. I will glue that on because I see losing it in the future.

4) The left hand does not do a great job of tightly hiding the gunpod.

Ok, so now the review proper.

The 21 is a great piece. it is probably the most durable valk since the 1/48. it is SOLID in the mode it is packaged in (fighter). It feels very solid in the hands even after numerous transformations.

It is pretty much matte and not glossy as seen on the other display pieces. The yellow is glossy which make s anice contrast.

The fighter mode is gorgeous. It look sleek. Sleek is not even the word. It looks like it could cut a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum. This is probably the most beautiful fighter released in this large scale format so far. The only concession that the fighter modes makes is the visible soles of the feet at the back end of the body. This is the only clue that it would transform into a robot. This is the first large scale fighter from yamato that DOESN"T look like it actually transforms into a robot.

Everything is so well hidden.

The wings have no SV-51 style locking mechanisms unfortunately. Now this is not a gripe as it doesn't really need it but the wings do sometimes sag if you are posing other things and need to be repositioned.

The landing gear is very nicely done. it Looks true to the animation and the rotating feature of the rear landing gear is a great idea.

The battroid mode is just gorgeous. It has amazing articulation. The waist, arms, legs, feet, head, hands. Everything is made for dynamic posing. Actually, the hands are just awesome. They are no chicken hands. They pose very well.

The head is really nice. Similar to the later generation Yamato Votoms, it has detail behind the red eye. Posing the head is not that easy and it tends to look upwards into the cowl when you try to pose it. Needs some fiddling but it isn't annoying. The area around the head has some nice grey details, mostly the actual parts needed to transform. But they LOOK like real mechanics. The chest has a form of AUTOMORPH too to those familiar to the movie Transformer line. The fuselage splits to reveal some mechanics as you shorten it. This also pushes the cowl down to reveal the head.

Everything (except what I mentioned above) locks tightly in battroid mode. it stands so well. No falling over. Tight joints everywhere.

The fast packs are pretty much just bits of light-weight plastic but do look very nice on the bird and battroid. They do not hinder any of the articulation.

One thing I like is that they made parts pop instead of gluing them. The fins on the arms WILL pop off if you apply too much pressure but they will pop back on. Be careful because the small plate that holds them on will popp off also. It's very small so take care that two parts will drop onto your carpet when this happens.

Overall (and i'll add to this review as i'm too super busy today to be able to do everything in one go) this is a fantastic rendition of the 21. By no means is it the ULTIMATE rendition. But it's pretty damn amazing to hold in your hands.

If you have any questions that weren't answered in my meager review, then please ask. As I said, I only had a few hours to play around, and this review reflects that.

The main issues i have with the 21 are as follows:

1) I can find no way of locking the torso in battroid mode so the fuselage just flaps there.

Won't have time to handle the production toy I brought until Friday night at the earliest.

However, the pre-production sample that I handled extensively had a hinged fold down locking bar to lock the torso together in battroid mode.

Graham

Won't have time to handle the production toy I brought until Friday night at the earliest.

However, the pre-production sample that I handled extensively had a hinged fold down locking bar to lock the torso together in battroid mode.

Graham

this part?

photo_71.jpg

Graham

Really? The fuselage doesn't seem to have any locking mechanism. The back (wings etc) locks to the main torso but the front half of the fuselage couldn't lock on mine.

edit: Yeah, that part I know about.

Edited by Alex

HELLS TO THE BELLS YEAH!!! I'm glad the head and cowl can move.

Thanks for the quick little review, Alex!

Brief question for all of you that have this bird in-hand: please tell me that this middle piece between the belly-plate fast packs is just some miscellaneous piece for the display stand, is not required to keep the FP's in place, and is completely removeable.

It's the darker grey piece with the single square and two circular holes in the middle here:

ffp.jpg

Moggy's got some ideas for them belly-plates. ;)

HELLS TO THE BELLS YEAH!!! I'm glad the head and cowl can move.

Thanks for the quick little review, Alex!

Brief question for all of you that have this bird in-hand: please tell me that this middle piece between the belly-plate fast packs is just some miscellaneous piece for the display stand, is not required to keep the FP's in place, and is completely removeable.

It's the darker grey piece with the single square and two circular holes in the middle here:

Moggy's got some ideas for them belly-plates. ;)

Looks like a Display piece connector for mine.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If transformed and positioned correctly, the feet won't hang out the back like that.

And yes, that piece is the stand adaptor.

Of course, they are still visible when viewed diorectly from the rear of the plane.

Graham

If transformed and positioned correctly, the feet won't hang out the back like that.

And yes, that piece is the stand adaptor.

Of course, they are still visible when viewed diorectly from the rear of the plane.

Graham

Proper!

How easy is it to remove the limbs ?

Any danger of them popping out when you don't want them too ?

Does it come with an adapter so you can attach the limbless mode to the stand ?

Does the Bellyplate fastpacks attach by magnet and how secure are the gunpods attached to the bellyplates in fightermode ?

Thanks for the responses, guys!

One less obstacle to deal with for my little schemes.

I'm gonna have some fun once I get these 21's in my grubby little hands. ^_^

How easy is it to remove the limbs ?

Any danger of them popping out when you don't want them too ?

Does it come with an adapter so you can attach the limbless mode to the stand ?

Does the Bellyplate fastpacks attach by magnet and how secure are the gunpods attached to the bellyplates in fightermode ?

I personally haven't removed the limbs yet.

The limbs are super tight though (pre removal)

No magnets. Just clips on.

Gun pods are very tightly secured.

I thought that was just an aussie thought up slang. INDEED Macrossman. Proper! PROPERY even! :p

Proper is also part of modern youth vernacular in the UK.

"That's proper mad, me old China!"

And so forth.

Proper is also part of modern youth vernacular in the UK.

"That's proper mad, me old China!"

And so forth.

Grade 11 - 12 and onwards it was a fav for me and my friends, at the time, not heard much of it in the movies or so, just sought of popped out. Regard it as one of the seriously cool words to say to describe something so... WICKED.

Like the YF-21 for example. :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Scuzzy! Ah, don't be a Muppet, luv!

"D'ya 'memba, luv?"

"Know what I fink 'bout dis 'ere WHY-EFF TWENNY-WUN? I FINK IT'S PEAR-SHAPED, INNIT!!" :mellow:

All right, going to bed.

"D'ya 'memba, luv?"

"Know what I fink 'bout dis 'ere WHY-EFF TWENNY-WUN? I FINK IT'S PEAR-SHAPED, INNIT!!" :mellow:

All right, going to bed.

That reminds me of the DYRL alternative title:

OBOETEI-MASSACRE!!!!!!!