Official 1/60 YF-21 News & Picture Thread (ver.2)

Graham

Link to full review: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...-21_review.html

New YF-21 pics from the new March 2008 issue of Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

Note the rotating pilot seat an aslo the ability to attach the gunpods either directly to the fighter's belly plates or to the FAST Packs.

I'll do a better scan when I get home tonight.

Graham

post-11-1201243112_thumb.jpg

I just noticed the Gerwalk mode ventral vernier slats are there..........sorta.

David H should be pleased.

I would say they're not vernier nor would they be called slats. Slats in the aviation sense means a track-mounted flap on the leading edge. They're vectoring louvers. It may even be a vectoring louver *cascade*.

louver: movable slat (slat in the non-aviation sense--like a window blind)

cascade: an assembly to re-direct airflow

vane: fixed slat, or with a quite narrow range of movement (vane cascades are mostly seen on the thrust reversers of large airliner engines)

Thus, a vane cascade has a fixed flow direction, while a louver cascade is adjustable.

Looking real good B))

Will the wings have some kind of locking system similar to the SV-51 just to make sure they stay level ?

Though i guess since the YF-21 don't have any weapons attached to its wings it doesn't need it but the wings can still end up sagging alittle and i would like them to have a system so they can lock in place.

Those hands may be my favorite feature. :p

The rotating seat is nice, but I always found it odd in the anime that it did that. I mean why have a little window in bat mode that is like a target for a bad guy. All the other bats have the heat shield thingy or the body goes around the cockpit in some way. Not a fault of the toy of course just a thought on the original design. Of course this is a test plane maybe in the final version it would not have been there?

Now that I think on it does the VF-11 have a heat shield?

Anyway very cool, and Yamato will be getting more of my money it seems :p

It's looking even better than I expected. Besides the pilots seat gimmock I actually REALLY enjoy the way that the landing gear rotates for storage. I think it's a huge improvement over the VF-1's landing gear.

:ph34r:

The rotating seat is nice, but I always found it odd in the anime that it did that. I mean why have a little window in bat mode that is like a target for a bad guy. All the other bats have the heat shield thingy or the body goes around the cockpit in some way. Not a fault of the toy of course just a thought on the original design. Of course this is a test plane maybe in the final version it would not have been there?

Now that I think on it does the VF-11 have a heat shield?

Anyway very cool, and Yamato will be getting more of my money it seems :p

The YF-21 is such a BAD@$$ that it doesn't need a heat shield :p

Yeah, the VF-11 has a two part HS, that uses animemagic for storage. I slips out from the back and front of the cockpit. (sounds naughty.)

The 21 looks waaaaaay better than the 19.

If the 21 gets the same 0-probelm report like the SV-51 Nora (save maybe for a lemon here and there), then I wouldn't mind dishing out a 180-200USD price tag.

If this baby comes out to be all that, then I think the YF-19 is more deserving of the "I suck" title that the 1/72 21 has had for so long. :lol:

The YF-21 is looking better with every new pic released. The feet sticking out looks a little odd, but given the challenge of fitting those long legs into a very small area, I think it's a good compromise, and they're bent to conform to the same angle as the tail. Yamato's come a long way from their old 1/72 scale toys, and I'm glad to see that they're not afraid to be innovative. While I've always liked the YF-19 better, I'm loving the 21. I hope the ball joints on this are stronger than those on my SV-51, or they use ratcheting joints for the hips.

As for the VF-11, I know there's a pretty good chance it'll be made. While I'm not crazy abt the full armor, I'd love to see that beauty with fast packs in the future. I liked SHE's solution to the 11's heatshield.

The rotating seat is nice, but I always found it odd in the anime that it did that. I mean why have a little window in bat mode that is like a target for a bad guy. All the other bats have the heat shield thingy or the body goes around the cockpit in some way.

The 21 actually does have a heat shield in the anime. ...Actually it has three, one for each of the windows. I doubt we'll see that on the toy though, as it's logistically near impossible. Not a big deal to me, since the main canopy practically is a heat shield anyway.

The 11 also has a heat shield. You can see it open in the scene where Guld and Isamu have a near mid-air collision that sends Guld into an emotional state that temporarily disconnects his BDI and sends him into a free fall.

Can anyone see a locking mechanism to hold the landing gear in place in that ad? Do the wheels turn?

I don't see a locking mechanism......but it seems like it may be hinged almost like the VF-0's or even a 1/48...just easier to get out. Do you mean turn as in go around??? If so....it would seem that way.

Gunpod mounts and rotating-folding landing gear are serious win... I'm gonna have to get a preorder for this guy.

Go with LOS. www.laftoys.com

(man LOS is gonna love that I keep pluggin his shop)

Woot great scan of the belly of the beast.

Please let it be prob free like nora.

Reasons why we always complain:

-shipping

-can't get replacement pieces like megazone 23 toys (hg issue)

-toys are generally more expensive than toys from bigger companies (hard to justify for poor ppl)

thus QC has to be good enough for us outside japan to take the risk of first release.

Those gimmicks like the PT landing gear, and finally being able to put the gunpods in the samurai skirt armor/belly plate is a major improvement from the original 1/72 toy. Hands don't look too bad either!

Whoever asked about head turning: how on earth are you going to do this when it is inside that hood thingie? Would seem a bit hard to try to manipulate this.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

^^I think it's just an additional point of articulation that folks would like to have. Sure, the hood's in the way, but you wanna be able to have the battroid sorta looking at his target/prey. Plus, some up-and-down movement on the head would be nice too.

P.S.--Will the original YF-21 thread now be placed in the Great Hall of Super Topics? :unsure:

Edited by Mog