1/60 Yamato Angel Birds Custom

Anasazi37

Believe it or not, this whole custom was done using only decals. That's right--just decals. I did have to strip down the Max 1A and repaint the whole thing white, but I don't really count that step. The decals were commissioned by trueblueeyes75 almost a year ago for a custom she was working on, but she was kind enough to allow me to use a set for a custom of my own since I fell in love with this valk while working on the designs for her. This was proably the easiest custom I have ever done. That is, once I finished the decals. That was probably the toughest decal project I have ever taken on. Headaches galore, but you can see that the end result was worth the effort.

ab_front.jpg

ab_side.jpg

ab_back.jpg

Here's what the decal set looks like:

angel_birds_complete.jpg

And here's the original Hasegawa kit the custom is based on:

angelbirds.gif

The custom took me about a week to complete and I have only been working on it between filling decal orders. I'll post some pics of it in fighter mode once I get a chance to do a little touch-up work.

nice bird......hwy when are we goning to see tha "minmay guard" i've been itchin to do a custom.

snip312

:ph34r:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The Angel Birds valk definitely doesn't get enough attention from toy companies. Some customizers (Jung, for example) have made 1/55 versions of this valk but they're aren't many out there. I was actually surprised when Hasegawa decided to make a 1/72 version, but I'm glad they did. I don't think this custom would look nearly as nice if the Hasegawa decals and designs weren't available. Truth be told, if trueblueeyes hadn't commissioned me to make these decals I wouldn't have done them--especially so that you didn't have to use paint. It was quite the challenge, but a lot of fun, too. It really tested the limits of my abilities.

The 1/60 Minmay Guard stickers/decals are pretty much done and will be available for purchase in about a month. I'm still tweaking the 1/55 and 1/48 versions. I'm planning on making two 1/60 Minmay Guard customs: one to keep, one to sell. Those won't be done for at least a month or two. Right now I'm waiting for the two valks-to-be-customized to arrive....

those hip intake decals must have been a bitch to design, yikes!!!!

A bitch and a half, to be precise. Those were a HUGE headache to create. The only solution that seemed to work was to mask the hip intake section in several stages, remove the pieces of tape, slap 'em on a sheet of paper, scan them in, trace their outlines in Illustrator, then render the designs.... BTW, this is the same process I use for the Minmay Guard sets--very time consuming. :blink:

Of course, they don't fit precisely right (does anything ever?) because there are so many variable surfaces, but the blue of the decals matches Tamiya's Flat Blue perfectly so I was able to dab a little paint here and there to fill in the micro-gaps.

Wow! Has any other Valkyrie been given the Angel Birds treatment? That looks superb on a 1/60, I'm sure it'll look even better on a 1/48 (or Hasegawa).

Once again................

post-4-1066959694_thumb.jpg

those hip intake decals must have been a bitch to design, yikes!!!!

A bitch and a half, to be precise. Those were a HUGE headache to create. The only solution that seemed to work was to mask the hip intake section in several stages, remove the pieces of tape, slap 'em on a sheet of paper, scan them in, trace their outlines in Illustrator, then render the designs.... BTW, this is the same process I use for the Minmay Guard sets--very time consuming. :blink:

Of course, they don't fit precisely right (does anything ever?) because there are so many variable surfaces, but the blue of the decals matches Tamiya's Flat Blue perfectly so I was able to dab a little paint here and there to fill in the micro-gaps.

cool, if the color matches tamiya's exactly then people can paitn the hip if they want to =D

nice work again dev

Awesome job. You're patience making those decals must be very high. I've never seen an Angel Bird Battroid before. That makes me really want an official one from Yamato. 1/48 LE for that one.

Don't mean to kick sand on your work but that purple color isn't right...its suppose to be something of a light blue. This one looks more like something done by the artist K.Takazora but the pattern follows the Hase kit.

The color I used isn't purple, it's blue. The exact same blue Hasegawa used for their kit, actually (I scanned in the decal sheet and replicated it). The lighting in the pictures don't do it justice, nor does the picture of the decal sheet--the blue on the custom is pretty darn close to the "light" blue in the fist picture you posted. I believe that picture is from the box art for the Hasegawa kit. The blue of the decals also matches Tamiya's Flat Blue, which is definitely not purple....

Thanks for posting those pics. :D

Edited by Anasazi37

are you going to do a few more to make them fly with beautiful formation?

:p

Tempting. Very tempting. I could make a diorama with the whole squadron in formation (and Hikaru's Fanracer flying up through the middle of them).

and you got to hang them down from your celling :lol: