deadghost

how long would you u be frozen for  

28 members have voted

1. 1. how many yrs

• 100yrs
    • 150yrs
    • 500yrs
    • screw this world I want 1000yrs

Man, people are actually willing to sleep for a thousand years :o, moving on, I would do it for 100-500 years give me a couple of months and experts to talk to, if I had to take anything with me it would be my complete mac and anime collectibles, my cigarette's, my beer, and my newly upcoming yamo vf-25, oh and a gun if things go wrong heheheh.

BUT HERES THE BIG QUESTION, what would you do if you woke up, what if anime was just a trend and was given up on :o

then you'd make a fortune on your "collectibles"

umm not really. Collectibles are usually generational and cultural. You like certain cultural subjects that you personally grew up with. So 1000 years into the future, I dont think anybody will care about the stuff we care about in this day and age. Macross, Transformers, even Star Wars will just be interesting historical pop culture to a few people in the future. Who knows what the future will hold for us if we survive that long. There may be great leaps in technology and life as we know it may be completley different and beyond our comprehension. Think about it, 1000 years into the future. By that time, real 1/1 valkyries may exists or maybe not need too. Jets and automobiles may be considered dinosaurs technologywise. Might aliens be living among in that time. Would we even need vehicles. Teleportation might be the way we travel. The future may be so fantastic......on the other hand, what I see is a bunch fleshlings laying in beds by the billions permanently pumping morphine into there veins by some morhine pumping robot. Ultimately, no matter how interesting all this seems to us, the people of the future will be bored by it. I guess you can label me a Nihilist, meh. ^_^

umm not really. Collectibles are usually generational and cultural. You like certain cultural subjects that you personally grew up with. So 1000 years into the future, I dont think anybody will care about the stuff we care about in this day and age. Macross, Transformers, even Star Wars will just be interesting historical pop culture to a few people in the future.

Yet, "collectibles" will still be somewhat valuable, not for whatever cultural value they have, but simply for being historical artifacts. Assuming things don't change much, just think of any well maintained piece of art or craft that hails from 1007-- it would probably fetch for a modest sum today. But you're probably better off investing in some piece of art or bottle of wine than Japanese collectible toys.

Screw going into cryo-sleep to awake in the future. While it could be cool to see advanced technology and all that fun stuff, it could just as easily be waking up post-apocalypse and finding out:

"Nooooooooo! I SLEPT TOO LONG!"- Ash

Or it could be that the people of the future would view someone from the past as barbaric, dangerous, and something to be locked away or put down as a danger to society.

All in all, I've got my life now in this time. I'll get to the future the natural way. I prefer to stay in now now. Not then, but now. What is happening is now now. Not going past it back then, but staying here now. Besides the future will be here soon. :)

Screw going into cryo-sleep to awake in the future. While it could be cool to see advanced technology and all that fun stuff, it could just as easily be waking up post-apocalypse and finding out:

"Nooooooooo! I SLEPT TOO LONG!"- Ash

Or it could be that the people of the future would view someone from the past as barbaric, dangerous, and something to be locked away or put down as a danger to society.

All in all, I've got my life now in this time. I'll get to the future the natural way. I prefer to stay in now now. Not then, but now. What is happening is now now. Not going past it back then, but staying here now. Besides the future will be here soon. :)

WHAT ARE YOU CHICKEN WHACHAHKAKAK LOL :lol:

Ummmmm.....yeah......I wouldn't live on Mars though. I mean.....it's pretty dead there. As far as I know...you can't even breath the air...I mean I get that from watching "Total Recall" It seems that the Govenator is the only one that could poss. hang there. :ph34r:

Yeah, well I saw one of those science shows on PBS (not the best place for your science info, but whatever), and they were talking about how to make Mars' atmosphere livable. They'd have to build a factory on Mars to produce some greenhouse gases that will mix with Mars' gases and create oxygen or some sort. Something to that extent, it was a while ago so I don't remember all the details :p . Look it up on pbs.org.

I'm not worried about taking anything with me to 1,000 years from now. It's going to be a new world, or worlds if Mars becomes livable. :lol:

I'd do 500 but I'd wait until I'm at least 50 years old before I do it. I figure lifes pretty much downhill at 50 unless I do go into cryo. Wake up 500 years later, you have a ton of money from interest, some valuable vintage stuff in storage and a chance to get your body repaired or get a cyber body like Ghost in the shell. Than i can live a second life.

Hell If I could get a cyber body like in GITS I'd do that within the next 10 years.

Hasn't anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?

It's by Mike Judge of Beavis & Butthead and Office Space.

While not as funny as Office Space it has it's moments.

Having seen this movie I would say "Thanks, but No Thanks" to cryo sleep

Here's the synopsis:

Joe Bauers, an Army librarian, is judged to be absolutely average in every regard, has no relatives, has no future, so he's chosen to be one of the two test subjects in a top-secret hibernation program. He and hooker Rita were to awaken in one year, but things go wrong and they wake up instead in 2505. By this time, stupid people have outbred intelligent people; the world is (barely) run by morons--and Joe and Rita are the smartest people in America

Basically it talks about how intelligent people are procreating less and dumb people are multiplying like bunnies. So when Joe awakes in 2505 everyone is really really stupid.

For example, all the planets vegetation is dying because Drinking water has been completely replaced by the future version of Gatorade. The electrolytes in the drink are killing the plants. The only place they use regular water is in toilets.

The premise is a funny commentary on how things might turn out, but it's also depressing and scary to think about that being a possibility.

Worth renting IMO.

Also, I'd hate to wake up in a world like the one in Children of Men.

What if right now is humanity's high point? I don't want to sleep through that.

Edited by chowyunskinny

I'm gonna be the odd duck and choose 150 years. Yeah I love life now and nearly everyone in it but when would you get a chance to ever see the future besides this (course you could build yourself a time traveling car). As for waking up in an apocalyptic future, quite doubtful. Of course just incase there were robots wearing monkey heads in the future I would bring a grenade with me, they will never take me alive!

My vote would be "None of the Above". Unfortunately, it's not among the choices.

I remember a movie starring Mel Gibson (can't recall the title), where a man volunteers for such an experiment in the 1940's, and wakes up in today's world. From what little I've seen (only caught bits and pieces of it), the guy had it kinda rough.

Of course, someone from 50-70 years in the past could easily adjust to the present, where many of the basics are the same. It wouldn't be much of a problem for the individual in question to quickly catch up on the new stuff.

Now, 100-130 years wouldn't be too bad on someone. It would just take a little longer to adjust to the changed world. It all boils down to the basics. We still use wooden pencils, revolvers, paper, telephones, and cars (with steering wheels, shifters, hand brakes, and four wheels on the ground). It's the educational level and advanced technology that will be the main obstacle to overcome.

Bring someone ahead from 250-1000 years in the past. To someone from two centuries in the past, some things will be familiar. But not a lot. A thousand years? It would be like a mentally retarded man wandering around an Albert Einstein convention.

The same would be true of a modern man (or woman) thrust into a similar situation.

In any case, I don't much care to see the future beyond my own lifetime. I'm not an idealist, but a realist. The rate the world is going, I don't much expect the future to be like Star Trek (or insert your favorite Utopia in it's place). No matter what starry-eyed dreamers may think.

How about defrosting for just one week every year.

Face it there are only so many major news stories and good movies per year. Only really of week worth of stuff worth doing per year.

that defeats the point, and plus I think that would cause some serous brain and health damage.

I got one, what if I woke up a 1000yrs from now, and there was nothing but girls on the planet, no make that fine ass girls (mainly japanese ^_^ ). For some odd

reason they have been able to reproduce on there own, with out man there has been no wars, and no crime.

Ever since you have awaken you have been treated pretty great, the girls are all over you since they never seen a man (regardless if you are a nerd), but the plot thickens, after a couple of days of bliss you ask your self what happen'ed to the rest of the men, were they no longer able to be part of the reproduce evolution process, or were they killed off??? And its a matter of time before the rest of the females decide if you are a threat, a pet, OR IF CAN SOME HOW EXPLAIN THEM THE STORY OF DYRL AND BECOME A PEACEFULL PARTNER. --what would you guys do, me well you guys know what I would do :ph34r:

also I had a semi lesbo teacher in middle school tell me about this old school movie, does any body know what is it called.