Custom 1/48 Boxes?

Kicker773

Cool, I will reply to yours too. In between I could not help myself and came up with another using one of the photos of your custom. Let me know if you like this one better.

I really like this one (the one with the line art). Nothing brings back memories like retro Macross line art. Classy.

Cool, I will reply to yours too. In between I could not help myself and came up with another using one of the photos of your custom. Let me know if you like this one better.

Ohh yeah baby, that's the sh^t.

THAT's what a box should be like, covered in sexy lineart. Beautiful!

You've got my money.

.. somewhere, sitting silently and reclusively... the yamato box designer sighs and hangs his head in shame...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

.. somewhere, sitting silently and reclusively... the yamato box designer sighs and hangs his head in shame...

:lol::lol::lol: They should bow their heads in shame. miriya is the new box designer like blue ins the new green. :ph34r:

Yamato needs to hire you. Those box designs are cool.

Thanks for all of your input and compliments everyone. I will post updates here as they come in. Will try to do some more mock ups today including Kicker773s Virgin Road box. In another thread Graham had said that the Yamato Box designer would cry if they fired him so I had better not create a situation. I was thinking that if I pull off a custom box for Kicker773 and find a good printer and the box looks good as a final product I may be able to do more custom boxes for people. I will have to see how much time it actually takes with this test run and how much money the printing will cost but I think that there is potential.

Also, thinking about the Yamato boxes, the thin cardboard is OK but in thinking about what ruskiiFVaussie was saying about wood... A wood box would be much more stable and slick. Even if it is the same size/proportions as the current boxes but made out of wood, then apply the graphics on top of that, panel by panel may look good. Even varnish over the graphics on wood with some wood showing all around each panel may look really fancy. A very expensive process I am sure but top notch. Instead of a creased cardboard flap, it could be a real hinge and instead of a velcro tab could be a lock! Anyway, that is probably much more than Kicker773 was envisioning.

If you do not see some more posts from me today it may mean that I have to do my real job in which case I will post as soon as I get a chance.

Ok, here is the first go at the cover art for the Virgin Road one. Copying the Hasegawa...

Wow..... :blink: .....That is smooth my man......I really like that..... :D

Here is another version of the Virgin Road one. Not so sure now. May go in a totally different direction. I have another idea I may try instead.

I like them both so I am of no use. :ph34r:

One thing you need to change (i know you need the actual product),

But screw the landing gear down!!!!! Show it as if it is flying.

With Yamato showing their Valkyrie's with landing gear down, is it just to show that's a feature?

Can't they just show it on the inside flap instead, and leave the front as the pretty cover.

One thing you need to change (i know you need the actual product),

But screw the landing gear down!!!!! Show it as if it is flying.

With Yamato showing their Valkyrie's with landing gear down, is it just to show that's a feature?

Can't they just show it on the inside flap instead, and leave the front as the pretty cover.

Good point. I can photoshop that out for now. Got to run.

Ok, another version of Virgin Road...

More of the original VF-1D box art soon, the sides and back....

It'd be cool if you could angle the Valk so it's facing head on. Would definitely mix in a lot better with the background you've got in this pic.

Also, what's Millia staring at in your first Virgin Road box design. :ph34r: j/k

Hi Kicker773,

I've posted a couple of ideas on a topic where suggestions were asked for Graham to bring to Yamato. Graham's told me that Yamato will not budge with the current valkyrie boxes. My guess maybe is that they've entered a contract with the packaging company? That's just a guess.

But my biggest disappointment of all the 1/48 & 1/60 valkyries is their box. The flood varnish on flimsy box and coupled with photoshop glow styles doesn't work for me. My example is the receiving and opening the SV-51. I heart sunk seeing that same type of box use on all other valkyries. When held, the box just didn't fee like a $221 collector item or figure/figurine.

For you to bring this custom boxes topic is pretty cool. I've thought about producing some boxes for the Valkyries. So here's an idea I've thought about and would like to share with you all. I know that we like "cool" graphics...but what about simple elegance and texture.

I feel that Takara's Masterpiece boxes are far superior to the Yamato valkyrie boxes. Corrugated box with applied art isn't too bad either, mix in some foil stamping and simple graphics. I want to be able to share my figures with friends. I want my friends to hold that box and feel weight, texture and immediately acknowledge that it's a collectors item.

Thick black (or red or dark blue) boxes (corrugated or clothe textured), with foil stamping for text elements specifying the fighter inside. Also lessen the thickness of the box by 1/3. I think the plastic trays can be trimmed down a bit.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately I cannot find time to come up with a sample. The dies are pretty cheap actually, around $40...but if you want to produce embroidery, embossing, foiling or cut outs...it'll get pretty expensive to name all the valkyries.

Ive always thought how about a custom box more akin to the Taka boxes for the 1/55 they would be an obvious choice for display in Battroid. whilst being a bit old school at the same time. I always liked the slightly metallic look to the boxes, even if the artwork is most defiantly 80's in appearance. I was thinking Yamato style of art in a Taka style box

Ive always thought how about a custom box more akin to the Taka boxes for the 1/55 they would be an obvious choice for display in Battroid. whilst being a bit old school at the same time. I always liked the slightly metallic look to the boxes, even if the artwork is most defiantly 80's in appearance. I was thinking Yamato style of art in a Taka style box

Hey BigF, that is a great Idea! I may try a mock up like that too.

If you do use footage from the TV show for VF-1D graphics.

Sorry no more posts. I have been so sick! my throat is so swollen i can hardly breath and it hurts to drink water! When I get better I will do some more mockups....

Hey Kurt, those customs are so great. I hope to save up enough to one day commission you. I will PM you when I get it together to see if you are available.

Right. Now, get busy churning some of these out for us. :p

Yes yes miriya....I know I still need to get some pics and dimensions to ya. I am sorry mate :(

:ph34r:

Yes yes miriya....I know I still need to get some pics and dimensions to ya. I am sorry mate :(

:ph34r:

It is alright. I am still sick as a dog and cant do much work right now. I went to the doc yesterday and have started antibiotics. Hopefully more stuff this weekend.

It is alright. I am still sick as a dog and cant do much work right now. I went to the doc yesterday and have started antibiotics. Hopefully more stuff this weekend.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO DRUGS!!! :D