Your Collecting Habits

GobotFool

I was wondering what compels members on this board to buy a particular toy or figure. Are you the sort of person that needs to love the TV show to collect a figure, or do you do it purely on the appeal of the design, or is it a bit of both?

I can collect most mecha/robot toys without any real knowledge of the show. I love robot designs and I tend to buy robot toys based on how much I like the design, and less so on how much of a fan of the show I am.

On the other hand I have to really love a show to buy a character figure, it doesn't matter how awesome the toy is. How is it for the rest of you?

Personally I started collecting the Macross valks. without having real knowledege of what they really were besides really sweet looking transformers. Then I got the DVD's of the movies and tv show and then I REALLY started to enjoy Macross. For clarification....I liked the fis before the show. :ph34r:

For me, I have to really LOVE a show or have a lot of nostalgia for it before I'll even consider buying a mecha or character from it.

Currently my collections are split between Macross and Mospeada stuff, Star Wars figures, and the 25th Anni. GI Joe's. Since I'm trying to limit my collection spaces from getting too out-of-control, I even find myself getting a little more picky about what I collect from just these three or four groupings.

As such, things like articulation, overall look, and my own personal "favoritism" for certain figures or schemes comes a lot into play.

So with these factors in place, a mecha or character I have very little familiarity with would have practically no chance of being added to my collection.

But for a mecha from a series I actually love, like say Eureka 7's Nirvash (Spec 2)?

It would have to be solidly built and be poseable as heck. But even then, I'm sure I'd say to myself, "Where the hell am I going to put it?!" :unsure:

Space considerations, they can be a b*tch. :mellow::)

It would have to be solidly built and be poseable as heck. But even then, I'm sure I'd say to myself, "Where the hell am I going to put it?!" :unsure:

Space considerations, they can be a b*tch. :mellow::)

If something new comes out that you really want. You just look at it this way. What do I have that I can get rid of that I really don't like that much and make some money off of? That's what I used to do when I actually had a collection.

:ph34r:

^^About the only thing I'd consider selling off are my RT/Macross Saga MPC's. But even then, I'm still happy with how they're currently set up. They're still in scale (for the most part) with the MPC Alphas (with whom they share a display space). And despite a few issues with 'em, the Alphas ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

The other stuff? Absolutely off limits. I just like 'em too damn much.

Getting back on topic, with anime character figures from shows I like, I think I'd have a hard time choosing them. I mean, I'd like something oozing style and coolness. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to get something that's a little too risque.

I typically buy based on the overall mecha design, appearance appeal, and transformation if applicable.

But there are some classic TV show figures that I've gotta have, like from the Macross & Mospeada series.

Lately, I've been collecting lots of TFs and 25th anniversary GI Joes, because of childhood nostalgia.

Mind you, the final control factor is: financial budget.

:lol:

Edited by Vermillion21

Anything "nicely" crafted for Hakafu from Ikki Tousen or Asuka (NGE), so that means big boobies, nice bum, long nips and blonde/strawberry blonde hair... :D

For mecha it has to be from a series i've watched as a kid, or have got into recently. I need to relate to the products source.

Oh and anything Macross related goes without saying... but i did just then.. so ... yeh. :p

I am hoping Macross F gets some good fanservice products. Macross and Chicks, two best collectable material things in this world!!

I collect Transformers and Macross, that's about it. Both are a mix of nostalgia, along with admiration of some pretty impressive toys. My TF collecting is limited to the Alternators and the Masterpiece lines. I might nab a particular favoured character from a line like Classics, something to put on my desk at work, but I'm just not nearly as interested in them. I suppose I just really like realistic alt modes, combined with detailed and poseable robots. Both of those lines have an almost model-like quality to them that I appreciate, while still being sturdy enough that I'm never afraid to take them off the shelf.

Macross, well it's Macross. My favourite show of all time. Yamato has done a great job with the toys in recent years, but I still find enough to be picky about to keep me from buying up every toy they put out. Particularly, the hips on the old 1/60 VF-1s put me off in a big way, and the floppy loose joints in the initial releases of their Macross Zero toys really put me off of sending more money their way. I'd seriously set aside the funds to buy Focker, Ivanov, Shin, Nora, and a cannon fodder of both the SV-51 and the VF-0, but both my VF-0s and my SV-51 suffer from horribly loose joints. Great designs, but this flaw really puts me off. So much so I'm having second thoughts about nabbing up an the YF-21 when it first comes out.

I used to be less picky, I've got a box full of RiD toys, plus a couple G1 reissues and random TF figures that will eventually find its way to eBay. I think my tastes have become a lot more focused and my standards a lot higher. Other than the M0 toys, I've had exceptionally good luck with Yamato. With Alternators done with, and MP releases so infrequent, I'll probably concentrate on Macross, though I think I'm still getting pickier so I suspect my purchases will be less frequent still.

To be honest I flat out hate most super robot shows, but I like enough of the designs to collect a few representations of the really classic ones, mostly because I remember a lot of these die-cast toys as a kid when they were being imported under the Godaikin name. I lusted after these toys as a kid, even though I had never seen any of the shows. While I never watched any of the shows, there certainly is a bit of a nostalgia factor for me as well.

My g1 collection is probably all nostalgia. I love em to death, I really do. I even like the designs, but I know how dippy most of them look compared to modern transformers.

I suppose my criteria for a robot whose show I am not familiar with is, 1. I have to really like the design 2. It has to be really well built. 3. If it transforms, it has to be perfect, (or near perfect, I can live with the removal of one or two very minor parts.)

Edited by GobotFool

I like sci fi, robots and folklore type of stories. Most of my stuff are Macross, Gundams and Transformers with hints of EVAs and Street Fighter figures. I also like to draw. The figures to me are direct translation from paper to something one can hold. And so when I see something really cool, I WANT to buy it. I need to stop and draw more, but damn, I think some of you can agree that these figures are addicting. (and inspiring too!).

I collect mainly Macross for nostalgia from childhood watching the show which must not be mentioned, and now in adulthood watching SDF Macross, DYRL, Mac0, Mac+, MacF, etc. and for that I mainly collect the figures that I like the most which is based largely on design.

I will also collect figures and mecha that are from shows that I have never seen if their design is stunningly gorgeous. I love robots and a real sexy robot is hard to pass up! Also being a sucker for aesthetics I will sometimes break down for anything that looks fantastic! However I am trying to focus mainly on Macross.

Love for a particular show/movie definitely has a strong influence upon my decision to seek out a particular type of toy or model. However, I also have a keen eye for innovative and different mechanical styles and I'll sometimes purchase something really well made even if I'm completely unfamiliar with the show/film that spawned it. But having said that, I'm not much of a collector at all and really own very little as far as actual toy merchandise. Books, DVDs and CD constitute the vast majority of my hobbies, both anime and non-anime.

If it looks good I get it. if its out of my price range i wont. I

prefer die cast stuff over plastic so most of what i have now

is SOC / Fewture /Aoshima Though I have a ton of Yamato and Bandai Macross

stuff (that takes up way to much space :) ). I like some of the Medicom

and Takara 1/6 figures Ultraman and Kerberos Jin -Roh . I just got

a Medicom Vader that i like a lot - because of nostalgia.

I collect all sorts of things from action figures, robots and sci-fi. I started collecting Gundam before I knew what the actual show was about, so I have quite alot of gundam model kits. The vast majority of my collection are either from shows/movies I've watched, books I've read or video games that I've played. But to be out of character with this, I bought a anime figurine of Saber from Fate/Stay night, never seen the show, but for some reason I immediately liked the character design, especially her armoured dress. Anime figurines is something I've considered, but some come across as being too sexy, which makes me feel uncomfortable and dirty. :lol:

Edited by kung flu

Ever since that Yamato advert appeared on the MW forums site I have not been able to spend money on anything except for Yamato macross toys.

When I went to write my check for rent I made the mistake of making it out to HLJ.

When I went to pay my Car insurance, I unconsiously sent it to Lost and Found Toys.

When I went to the supermarket I realized that I was not in the supermarket at all. I was actually in front of my computer buying more Yamato valks from ebay.

When I woke up this morning and went to make my breakfast I poured milk all over my 1/60 VT-1 and then after taking that first painful bite, I agonized about cleaning it up. BTW, milk makes for great weathering effects!

I have no choice anymore. I have been reprogrammed. I cant stop looking at that yamato ad. I have no choice but to buy buy buy. Someone please help!

I used to buy based on if I enjoyed the show and if I liked the design. So I bought everything from armored core to valks. Then I realized I had a bunch of crap everywhere so I only collected TF, the odd Gundam and Macross.

Now I just collect macross. I wouldn't mind another PG gundam or so, butI don't have the time to build them and I never did paint them up, so they feel like kind of a waste. AS for TFs... I don't know, I've just lost that loving feeling.

When I woke up this morning and went to make my breakfast I poured milk all over my 1/60 VT-1 and then after taking that first painful bite, I agonized about cleaning it up. BTW, milk makes for great weathering effects!

I have no choice anymore. I have been reprogrammed. I cant stop looking at that yamato ad. I have no choice but to buy buy buy. Someone please help!

So, did the teeth marks make the Valk look like it got smashed up a bit?

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovering from Valkoholism. I recommend a slow, yet steady acquisition of sub-par Yamato releases (Valk's with crooked skulls, VF-0's with crumbling arms, Garlands with breakable parts, etc.). And then follow that up by b*tching here on the MW boards (see the b*tching serves a purpose! ^_^ ). Hopefully, this deliberate process will slowly wean you off of your Valkoholism. :)

Getting back on topic, similar to eugimon, I find that I sorta went through that initial "crazy" period with my first few collections (where you buy almost anything and everything). Then I kinda slowed down and became a lot more picky and selective.

Anyone else notice that trend in their collecting patterns?

So, did the teeth marks make the Valk look like it got smashed up a bit?

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovering from Valkoholism. I recommend a slow, yet steady acquisition of sub-par Yamato releases (Valk's with crooked skulls, VF-0's with crumbling arms, Garlands with breakable parts, etc.). And then follow that up by b*tching here on the MW boards (see the b*tching serves a purpose! ^_^ ). Hopefully, this deliberate process will slowly wean you off of your Valkoholism. :)

Getting back on topic, similar to eugimon, I find that I sorta went through that initial "crazy" period with my first few collections (where you buy almost anything and everything). Then I kinda slowed down and became a lot more picky and selective.

For sure the teeth marks lend themselves to excellent battle wound effects.

I am for sure a valkoholik. Unfortunately (?) i have been really (un?)lucky with my yamatos. Even my VF-0A is perfect! I never thought that I would complain about my valks being perfect. Does this mean that I should hope that my Nora has problems? Something just does not jibe with that idea? Now I am confused.

I did have that "Crazy" period of wanting almost anything and everything but fortunately(?) I did not have enough money to get it all.

I do have to say that after getting my 1/48 Milia last month, I had an uneasy feeling of contentment. I had to browse the forums, yamatos site and HLJ for several hours before I got back the feeling of constantly needing more macross stuff. What a journey!

Then I kinda slowed down and became a lot more picky and selective.

I'm just like that now, I haven't bought anything new in three months, and any new stuff that arrives were pre-ordered way back.

Ever since that Yamato advert appeared on the MW forums site I have not been able to spend money on anything except for Yamato macross toys.

When I went to write my check for rent I made the mistake of making it out to HLJ.

When I went to pay my Car insurance, I unconsiously sent it to Lost and Found Toys.

When I went to the supermarket I realized that I was not in the supermarket at all. I was actually in front of my computer buying more Yamato valks from ebay.

I am seriously dying here from the laughter :lol::lol::lol:

I used to dream of owning super sweet Robotech toys when I was a kid. I used to design how the toys would transform using my old Jetfire as a starting point. I also had a huge fascination with the New Gen mechs. When I got into late middle school I was able to start seeing VHS cassettes of the originals and started hearing about numerous toys that never made it to America. In high school I would doodle valks and alphas fighting aliens on the top of my notes. I even remember one night in college having a very vivid dream of being at a toy store and coming across all the toys I had dreamed about as a kid. Then I graduated college and found out about eBay (yeah, I was way late to that party) and Robotech.com's store. I purchased some MPCs and then some Yammies, and then a ton of vintage stuff and there ya have it. I finally have all the toys I used to dream about.

I used to dream of owning super sweet Robotech toys when I was a kid. I used to design how the toys would transform using my old Jetfire as a starting point. I also had a huge fascination with the New Gen mechs. When I got into late middle school I was able to start seeing VHS cassettes of the originals and started hearing about numerous toys that never made it to America. In high school I would doodle valks and alphas fighting aliens on the top of my notes. I even remember one night in college having a very vivid dream of being at a toy store and coming across all the toys I had dreamed about as a kid. Then I graduated college and found out about eBay (yeah, I was way late to that party) and Robotech.com's store. I purchased some MPCs and then some Yammies, and then a ton of vintage stuff and there ya have it. I finally have all the toys I used to dream about.

HOLY FREAKING POO POO BATMAN!!! That almost exactly describes my experiences too. Even the dream! Spooky!

EDIT: Minus the MPCs - I went from vintage to Yammies. And I do not have all of the toys that I dreamt about but they do exist now.

Edited by miriya

talking of dreams, I once had a dream where I was moving my yamato vf 1s about my bedroom, when i woke in the morning, it was actually moved, very creepy that was, i must be sleep walking or something.

talking of dreams, I once had a dream where I was moving my yamato vf 1s about my bedroom, when i woke in the morning, it was actually moved, very creepy that was, i must be sleep walking or something.

That is very funny!!! :lol:

For figures, if I like the way the figure looks, find the quality is good, and the price is alright, I want it. I don't even have to know the series or character.

For mecha, I have to know the series. I pretty much only get Macross mecha, since no other series has really impressed me that much with the mecha.

I'm just like that now, I haven't bought anything new in three months, and any new stuff that arrives were pre-ordered way back.

I've been buying alot of smaller cheaper things lately. Like Revoltech and US release transformers, some I keep, others I end up offering on TFtrade boards. I still buy high end stuff as well, whats really getting cut out of my collection is alot of the mid-range stuff.

I've been buying alot of smaller cheaper things lately. Like Revoltech and US release transformers, some I keep, others I end up offering on TFtrade boards. I still buy high end stuff as well, whats really getting cut out of my collection is alot of the mid-range stuff.

revoltech, im thinking of getting the patlabor and macross ones, l already have the evas when they first came out. space is the big problem for my collection which is one of the reasons i've cut back on my collectiing.

Almost the same story here as well. I loved Macross toys or Robotech toys as a kid. The closest thing I had was a couple paro valks, a jetfire, and a Masters figure...I know doesnt count. I used to draw the stuff, dream about it, even tried out the rpg. After I had a j-o-b and had some spare cash I did the ebay thing and bought lots. Now Im just refining what I have. I think the only things I really wanted were cyclones, alphas, strike valk, and g1 jetfire...all vintage of course.