Mospeada Line Art Thread

akim

I think Raven was just saying how he wanted to see a Mospeada sequal and that he would not consider Shadow Chronicles as a substitute for that sequal.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Do this thread die?...

I've requested to mandarake more pics about these cels, there are few months ago...

enjoy...

post-1010-1260479073_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1260479106_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1260479164_thumb.jpg

post-1010-1260479183_thumb.jpg

Caution: i'm NOt the owner of these color cels...so if the winner of this auction doesn't want to see them here, let me a pm, i'll delete them...

akim.

Does anyone have, or know of any resource material that has the elevation drawings for Jim's jeep? I have the new Mospeada art book, and though it has alot of great three quarter line art for his vehicle, I'm still at a loss to find a true side, top, front view. Thanks

Does anyone have, or know of any resource material that has the elevation drawings for Jim's jeep? I have the new Mospeada art book, and though it has alot of great three quarter line art for his vehicle, I'm still at a loss to find a true side, top, front view. Thanks

From my part, i have never seen this vehicule with schematic view (top, front...).

Sorry...

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new Mospeada Complete Art Works for Christmas yesterday and I've taken an hour or two to pour over it.

The book is mostly black & white line art (the first 25 pages are color and the remaining 125 pages are B&W), so if you are one of those have-to-have color image types, this book may not be for you.

Just from my own Mospeada collection, I know they could have easily added 30 more pages. I would add at least five additional pages of toys, five more pages of model kits, five more pages of box art, five more pages of concept art, and ten pages of miscellaneous stuff like posters, pencil boxes, books, magazine covers, etc.

I consider myself a Mospeada line art aficionado, so when I say this book is chalk full of previously unseen line art, it's no joke. Just off the top of my head, I would estimate two-hundred pieces I have never seen before. This is just an amazing book.

One thing no one mentioned/noticed before is that there are two previously unseen Gakken toys in this book. Everyone points out the Red Tread toy, but no one has said anything about the rider and bike on page 016. That toy is also totally new to me and was never released in Japan. Damn cool!

The additional pages I mentioned coupled with a fold out poster (I'm a sucker for posters) would have made the book perfect, but as it is, it still gets an eight point five out of ten from me. This is by far the best source for Mospeada ever made.

If you are still considering picking up this book, do it now!

Edited by Totoro242

Hi Totoro242,

I'm glad to see you here in this topic!

You should be very patient to receive this book for Christmas...

Well seen for these 2 Gakken toys!!

From my part, more than 200 pieces are unknown or unseen (secondary characters and backgrounds mostly) ...

I just must admit it misses some mecha linearts or others (said before but mostly could be find on others supports: magazines, posters, booklets dvd....) i don't talk about concept arts ( i know some few...seen in Animec by example..) nor pre and postproduction arts....well there are a lot of materials who could be use for a another book...to complete this one...lol

Well, feel free to add all yours comments about this book, we'll be very happy!!

akim.

All,

I just got an email with this link in it. You MUST check it out. I just got this minutes ago so its fresh off the presses so to speak...

Enjoy and be sure to thank Roger,

Carl

http://sites.google.com/site/imaifiles/

Thanks Carl.

My sincere thanks to Roger for compiling and releasing this material. :D

I was thinking we would never get to see it in a printed format. :lol:

Awesome way to start 2010. HNY everyone. :)

Just got saw this in my inbox and I am in heaven!

I hope everyone takes a moment to send Roger a few bucks and some words of thanks. This collection represents the greatest Mospeada line art find ever! Just amazing.

I would love to see what else his friend in Japan has in these boxes. Maybe Roger will make another trip if the response is good ;)

All,

I just got an email with this link in it. You MUST check it out. I just got this minutes ago so its fresh off the presses so to speak...

Carl

Thank you for the link, and thank you to Roger for expending the time, energy and finances on this project. It's an excellent compliment to the recent Mospeada lineart book.

Though, it has raised a question in me: if the people behind Southern Cross were able to persue their original vision of the project, would it have been more successful? (Referring to the domestic market here, mostly.)

All,

Carl

Thank you Roger! Sent something for your time and effort.

Comiket 77 winter exclusive shitajiki from circle Henrenkai. Promotional item given to first 500 customers.

WHAT!!! Why didn't you tell me?

Thank you for the link, and thank you to Roger for expending the time, energy and finances on this project. It's an excellent compliment to the recent Mospeada lineart book.

Though, it has raised a question in me: if the people behind Southern Cross were able to persue their original vision of the project, would it have been more successful? (Referring to the domestic market here, mostly.)

in hindsight yes, I think it would have greatly increased their ratings and ability to sell merchandise. The late 80s to early 90s saw a surge in popularity of sengoku era anime and simulation games. as long as you threw in a reincarnation of Nobunaga and his demon army(in power armor) It would probably have done well. But be totaly unrecognizable as what we think of as southern cross.

Very interesting stuff in those envelopes -- most of which I found myself saying "Thank God they didn't end up with that!"

As for the SC Samurai World that never was; they make more sense of why the characters had pretty elaborate battle armor designs while much of the rest of the series was badly designed. Logan? Or whatever the heck that thing was. Would like to see those prelim sketches (Oh wait - that's what they went with).

The original SC artist prob busted his heart and tail to make a complete samurai world only to have the 'suits' come in and say he had to include giant transforming tanks - oh and throw in a plane too cuz "those are hot toys".

The hover 'cyclones' were a hoot. What a relief that they ended up with the Tread and Legioss we know today. And I also think we might be better off the series did not go on.

--- Can anyone relate to that? That Mospeada is frozen in time and not messed all up in successive releases? If they were done well I would be all for it - but how often does that happen?

gallery_151_312_235801.jpg

After 5 long months, last week I finally got my greedy hand on this great MOSPEADA tome at Kikokuniya bookstore.Bloody hell, my Mospeada experience has come full circle.

It made me going through all weekend last week on Mospeada viewing marathon.

Great stuff indeed!

--- Can anyone relate to that? That Mospeada is frozen in time and not messed all up in successive releases? If they were done well I would be all for it - but how often does that happen?

Well the show wasn't that great to begin with. It could only go down to SEED Destiny levels at that point.

I would say the series had about 35% stupid content. But no matter, the characters and mecha have a special place in my heart that a few stupid episodes can't undo.

Kind of like a fishing trip when you're young where you see your first giant snapping turtle. You may have not caught any fish that day but you remember the cool part.

As far as a second series and how that might have gone - I'd say odds are very badly. Going from Alien to Aliens is a DARN rare thing (great to even better).

I would have loved to see a second series done in the right hands but 'right hands' are so hard to come by . . . (ie shadow chronicles)

Mospeada could have had a great prequel mini-series. It also could have spawned a full saga if handled properly (had it been SUPER popular). The Mospeada universe wasn't all that flushed out by the story of a rag-tag team driving to North America.

Mospeada could have had a great prequel mini-series. It also could have spawned a full saga if handled properly (had it been SUPER popular). The Mospeada universe wasn't all that flushed out by the story of a rag-tag team driving to North America.

With so many series being redone or re-imagined its still not out of the question. Please, come with me for a moment into blind optimism:

Someone could be coming of age (or into power) right now that loved Mospeada and is just waiting to pull the trigger on a full fledged prequel series! GREAT IDEA. This would also avoid any entanglements with Shadow Chronicles or Shadow Rising, if that matters to anyone at all.

The 'prequel world' of Mospeada could include Jim and Yellow, as well as all new characters from the failed first invasion. The mecha would be a bit more of a challenge as some of the coolest bits had not been invented yet. But someone will think up some cool mechs that we just didn't 'happen to see' in the original series . . .

All,

Carl

To Roger and his unnamed source, thanks for releasing these pictures and translating the text!

After Roger was flamed by some jackasses for his plans to release these images as part of a published book instead of posting them on the web, I didn't think he would ever consider releasing them on the Internet. Props to Roger for doing the community a service, even if it meant letting those d-bags have their cake and eat it too.

Though it's a pity he wasn't able to publish the book, I was looking forward to adding it to my bookshelf.

With so many series being redone or re-imagined its still not out of the question. Please, come with me for a moment into blind optimism:

Someone could be coming of age (or into power) right now that loved Mospeada and is just waiting to pull the trigger on a full fledged prequel series! GREAT IDEA. This would also avoid any entanglements with Shadow Chronicles or Shadow Rising, if that matters to anyone at all.

The 'prequel world' of Mospeada could include Jim and Yellow, as well as all new characters from the failed first invasion. The mecha would be a bit more of a challenge as some of the coolest bits had not been invented yet. But someone will think up some cool mechs that we just didn't 'happen to see' in the original series . . .

Prequels can be a lot of fun. The comics of Robotech (which had some good MOSPEADA and Before the Invid moments) also touched on concurrent stories, which would be fun if applied here, in my opinion. Show other groups of people on Earth fighting against the Inbit. Show forces on Mars preparing and training to send troops to Earth, including testing new weapons and mecha that were never seen in the original MOSPEADA. It could be handled similarly to how Exo Squad handled multiple fronts in their stories.

OR

Do like, I assume, those pieces of new artwork from a few years back suggested. Retell the story completely, but make it a more realistic and darker, series, as the creators originally intended (and keep the WWII European theater parallels, as was also intended).

Thanks to Roger for all his work, sincerely!!

It's really sad that all his efforts/ contributions (who take him several years of his life and lot of money..) didn't create a beautiful artbook...

This PDF is incredible! all these mecha, background untold for this anime serie...i don't stop to look at them...

And all this translations!! Could you imagine that?

Whao, I've just seen some real original artwork of Mospeada...Someone knows something about space ships "Izumo 101" (not the same seen in anime) and "Ikazuti 41"?

At least we can see the famous "Izumo 101"...now i just wait for "Ikazuti 41"...

akim.

Where is that pic from? I don't remember seeing it in the new batch of stuff, or previously.

Not all lineart has been edited...but some of them are in old anime magazines (animec), like this pic...

Notice this doujin seen on web...:

post-1010-1262871732_thumb.jpeg

post-1010-1262871755_thumb.jpeg

akim.

Not all lineart has been edited...but some of them are in old anime magazines (animec), like this pic...

Notice this doujin seen on web...:

post-1010-1262871732_thumb.jpeg

post-1010-1262871755_thumb.jpeg

akim.

Nice. Thanks.

I'm always on the lookout for MOSPEADA (and Shinji Aramaki in general) bikes designs that I haven't seen before.

Definite thanks to Roger for getting all these together in a pdf format. It's great to see that others can share in the great lineart that they are, and see some of the history of MOSPEADA. I like that colored one at the end...Hopefully in time, more will come out, especially in color. It is a shame that his book never came to fruition. It would've been a good buy. Nevertheless, as it seems that the project was doomed, due to the current powers that be, at least this is a way to show part of what could've been.