voices of a distant star

deadghost

ok, I watch'd after watching 5cm per sec, I got to admit Makoto Shinkai is a pretty good story writer. The ova was pretty damn good, except for the mecha designs, prob the worst mechas I have seen to date, but that really did not matter. I kinda start to think if makoto had a a painful love relationship. Anyways as I watching this I keep asking myself would I ever wait that long for your soul mate, thats more than 16 years, I would be in my mid 30's or even early 40's. Anyways does the girl get back to ship, was there ever any hope of being reunited, and what did they mean by if I could give one thought? please leave your feed back.......well I am off to watching The Place Promised in Our Early Days, thanks wolfx

Bingo. Besides, it's either keep her in the school girl outfit or put her in some ridiculous 80's-esque Super-Robot-Pilot outfit.

Also, those crazy animators and their fans love under-aged girls in school girl outfits...

Bingo. Besides, it's either keep her in the school girl outfit or put her in some ridiculous 80's-esque Super-Robot-Pilot outfit.

Also, those crazy animators and their fans love under-aged girls in school girl outfits...

tell me about it, the girls look like there in there imid 20's but there actually 15, or 17, I just turned 20 and that just makes me feel so damn old. :ph34r:

Edited by deadghost

While I did enjoy it, it pales in comparison with its main inspiration, i.e. Gunbuster.

Personnally, I wouldn't compare it to Gunbuster actually, but more to Ender's Game or The Forever War even if Gunbuster can also be compared to both of these novels: I think it's more a matter of both of these shows having common points with these books than Voices... being inspired by Gunbuster

Overally, one of the greatest shorts, and even one of the greatest animes I've seen so far: strongly recommended :)

IIRC in the manga the setting on the space ship is still like a highschool for the pilots so they still retain their school uniform. (GAH i can't find my manga...where is it?)

Personnally, I wouldn't compare it to Gunbuster actually, but more to Ender's Game or The Forever War even if Gunbuster can also be compared to both of these novels: I think it's more a matter of both of these shows having common points with these books than Voices... being inspired by Gunbuster

Overally, one of the greatest shorts, and even one of the greatest animes I've seen so far: strongly recommended :)

Its more Gunbuster than Ender really since Gunbuster relates the effects of time dilation on its characters. Ender wasn't affected by the time dilation.

Considering Gunbuster followed space and time in non linear fashion and age greatly differed between friends I'd say it's a fair comparison. :ph34r:

Edited by gerwalk25

I didn't say the comparison wasn't fair, I meant that the time dilation thing appears more like a trick in Gunbuster instead of a way to convey a theme: in Voices... it's at the heart of the story and the main reason why the two lovers are separated, while in Gunbuster it looks more like some sort of side effect of the director's choice concerning the whole universe and the technology that humans use to fight the invaders of this story

Haldeman used the same idea to reflect his own experience of Vietnam after which he felt like having lost his roots with his native society when he came back in his country. As for Ender's Game: I think Voices... looks closer to this one because the children all are leet pupils (at least it's the case of the main female protagonist) and also because none of them volunteered to fight, contrarily to Noriko who became a war pilot in memory of her father

But that's just a pair of details: both of these shows and these novels remain very recommendable, and that's the important part :)

But that's just a pair of details: both of these shows and these novels remain very recommendable, and that's the important part :)

QFT.... thou short, this a great story (and deeply sad I must add) told in an excellent way. Great animation (thou fugly mechas), soft tunes and cool heart-breaking ending (don't show to yer girlfriend unless u want endless crying for hours). :)