Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

After watching episode 4 again I can confirm several pack exist for VF-25:

- Armored pack

- Super pack

- Long range pack <-- probably the Elint pack on Luca.

Was the Zentradi derelict a Thuverl-Salan class battleship or a Quiltra-Quelamitz Class Medium-Scale Gunboat? It seemed more like the second to me... since it appeared to be split in its mid section (like it was disabled when it was about to fire its main beam-gun).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

After watching episode 4 again I can confirm several pack exist for VF-25:

- Armored pack

- Super pack

- Long range pack <-- probably the Elint pack on Luca.

Have to watch the raw again, but I thought it was Mikhail, who asked for the "Long Range Pack".

I take the long range pack to mean the standard Super Pack, with the addition of the sniper rifle, i.e for long range fire, instead of the standard gun pod.

I think the ELINT gear is standard on Luca's RVF-25 and it is also fitted with normal Super Packs in the episodes we have seen so far.

Graham

Sorry if this had been addressed before.. But the Ger's shoulder cannon Alto uses... how does he fire it>? I mean I would of thought that the as it was attached to the shoulder of the Ger, it'd have to been fired via the Ger's cockpit somehow, so does it have an aux grip/trigger? Thought i caught what seemed to resemble a grip on it once it was in the SMS hanger. Can anyone clear this up?

I think the ELINT gear is standard on Luca's RVF-25 and it is also fitted with normal Super Packs in the episodes we have seen so far.

Graham

So the radome is always on the RVF? Not a feature of the Augmentation packs?

I take the long range pack to mean the standard Super Pack, with the addition of the sniper rifle, i.e for long range fire, instead of the standard gun pod.

Have to agree with you there. Although, the spec says that the VF-25G carries a sniper rifle as standard equipment. But then again, saying you want a long range package may be a formality, otherwise the flight crews mounts a normal gunpod with the super packs. Don't want the flight crews to mess up your order...

So the radome is always on the RVF? Not a feature of the Augmentation packs?

Yep, the rotatating radar dish is monted on the dorsal surface of the fighter/back of the battroid. The ELINT fin is mounted on the ventral surface of the fighter/left arm of the battroid.

This is much more practical IMO than having the ELINT gear mounted on the FAST packs ala the VE-1 and means that the RVF-25 does not lose any of it's ELINT capability in an atmosphere, when it is not using Super Packs.

Graham

Yep, after watching the raw again, the long range pack is for Michael, Luca got the recon pack. I just want to know what is the add on equipment for each pack since Michael long range pack also included the flight booster on the wing.

Maybe soon we will heard "sound booster pack" ^_^

For the most part it would seem that the majority of the weapons are ineffective against the Vajra. I would like to see the later developments in weapons technology from the SMS, or rather Frontier research facilities. I wouldn't know how much research power they have to develop new weapons, after all, they are only there to test new stuff out, not make them. Perhaps though, they'll be the first ones to test new weapons out along the track!

Hopefully we'll see a few things eventually, the VB-6 transform or at least get used, as well as the CF VF-25s and also the transformation of the 171s, and also some competent pilots use them too.

Yep, after watching the raw again, the long range pack is for Michael, Luca got the recon pack. I just want to know what is the add on equipment for each pack since Michael long range pack also included the flight booster on the wing.

Maybe soon we will heard "sound booster pack" ^_^

Doubtful, that is soooo 90's... :p

Sorry if this had been addressed before.. But the Ger's shoulder cannon Alto uses... how does he fire it>? I mean I would of thought that the as it was attached to the shoulder of the Ger, it'd have to been fired via the Ger's cockpit somehow, so does it have an aux grip/trigger? Thought i caught what seemed to resemble a grip on it once it was in the SMS hanger. Can anyone clear this up?

Even with the old Ger, they could remove it from the shoulder mount and fire it with their hands. I think i read it in Mr March's site.

On a matter that has been bugging me, i hope they explain the characters' individual paint schemes for the planes. I mean, there's no reason why each of them should get another colour (other than the fact that this is anime and it sells toys of course). I hope they have some sorta explanation for it. And why does Alto get a dual laser head version.....when Mickhail gets a mono laser.

I'm a bit confused, does Luca's RVF-25 has a G type hear or J Type, there was a scan of a green VF-25 in battroid with an G style head... and we all assumed it was Luca's, but now in the Frontier page it appears with a J type head.. hmmmm....

I'm a bit confused, does Luca's RVF-25 has a G type hear or J Type, there was a scan of a green VF-25 in battroid with an G style head... and we all assumed it was Luca's, but now in the Frontier page it appears with a J type head.. hmmmm....

The one on the official site is what we use since that's the actual CG render. Blame the artist who submitted it for the magazine. And it doesn't use a g or J-style head. It's an RVF-25 head. :)

Even with the old Ger, they could remove it from the shoulder mount and fire it with their hands. I think i read it in Mr March's site.

On a matter that has been bugging me, i hope they explain the characters' individual paint schemes for the planes. I mean, there's no reason why each of them should get another colour (other than the fact that this is anime and it sells toys of course). I hope they have some sorta explanation for it. And why does Alto get a dual laser head version.....when Mickhail gets a mono laser.

Well SDFM stretched what would be allowable for a "military" color scheme right down to the uniforms. In subsequent productions Kawamori abandoned that old school anime type of distinction for a more traditional "uniform" look in DYRL and on. The hero valks went to a more understated color scheme.

However civilian equipment tended to be much more colorful and distinct under the excuse "they aint military". Frontier follows the same scheme. The SMS is non-military, thus their equipment can be more distinct and colorful. It also can be explained that colorful fighters allow any evaluation staff to easily identify the different fighters on sight.

Nope, not my website. IMO, I think the Q-Rau Lambda has a gun with a handle for firing because the mecha and its gun were made to combine arms with other military units of the military. Makes perfect sense that mecha would be designed so other units can user their removable weapons.

As for the color schemes, that's strictly a production reason so the audience always knows who is who in their vehicles. Of course, Macross Frontier also seems to have the added bonus that each differently colored VF-25 seems to have a different function (Mikhail is the sniper, Luca is the ELINT, Ozuma is the Full-Armor, etc).

Nope, not my website. IMO, I think the Q-Rau Lambda has a gun with a handle for firing because the mecha and its gun were made to combine arms with other military units of the military. Makes perfect sense that mecha would be designed so other units can user their removable weapons.

As for the color schemes, that's strictly a production reason so the audience always knows who is who in their vehicles. Of course, Macross Frontier also seems to have the added bonus that each differently colored VF-25 seems to have a different function (Mikhail is the sniper, Luca is the ELINT, Ozuma is the Full-Armor, etc).

I apologise. I might be wasted or dreaming or something but i swear i read and saw an image somewhere of the n-ger holding the shoulder cannon with its hands. I just can't seem to find it now. Or maybe its robotech rpg. <_<

For the most part it would seem that the majority of the weapons are ineffective against the Vajra. I would like to see the later developments in weapons technology from the SMS, or rather Frontier research facilities.

I've noticed that in the series opening animation and also in some of the commercials that aired before the Decuture edition was shown, the VF-25's weapons appear to be much more effective at taking out the red Vajra than they do are the actual show.

Graham

"I'm having a thought here, Barbossa" :)

In episode #4, there was a fold reaction detected and then big, red and ugly appears. So, is the Red Vajra fold capable? Does it have a fold booster? Or was the fold reaction actually the defold from a from a larger vessel that then launched the Red Vajra?

The impression I got when watching the episode is that the red Vajra is fold capable.

But if some sort of ship delivered the red Vajra, then it is probably still there hidden in the asteroids somewhere as no fold out reaction was detected.

Graham

The impression I got when watching the episode is that the red Vajra is fold capable.

But if some sort of ship delivered the red Vajra, then it is probably still there hidden in the asteroids somewhere as no fold out reaction was detected.

Graham

Actually the Vajra seemed to fold when they were chased by the NUNS VF-171s in episode 3... (The Birdman from Macross Zero was also fold capable... another connection to it beside the spirals?).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I suppose considering the firepower that red Vajra can dish out, it's possible the thing has more than enough power to space fold. But really, this is just stopgap speculation. I mean, the Vajra have to be coming from somewhere. There has to be some kind of factory, base or ship from which they operate. Someone is building these bio-mechanical monsters and sending them out to cause mayhem. I wonder if they can fold on their own, or there is some behind the scenes stuff yet to be revealed that is deploying them.

Great picture kresphy. This doesn't look all that different from the finalized design. Seems most of the design choice Kawamori created made it through to the final version. Coolr stuff!

If anything, I'd say this is a sketch made after Kawamori roughed out the basic shapes and transformation specifics with his legos... A couple refinements later, he passes it over to the CG boys to do a proper first round, and we ultimately get the final product from there.

Looks like the gun pod was always meant to split lengthwise. I guess it's a switch from the telescoping action of earlier models. Cool!

Mark

Anyone care to gander a guess at the length of time for the Micronization process to and from Size in Macross:F setting. It apparently seems that for Zentrans to walk around Frontier's civilian sector they need to be in Micronized form. I wonder how long it takes to get them back to giant size? I mean what if an alert comes out and the Vajra attack without warning (which so far seems to be their m.o.), will the Pixie squad be left out and have to wait so they can fit into their Q-rau's while the rest of the SMS sortie out? Or I wonder if they can retro-fit the Q-raus so they can be piloted in Micronized form.

Looks like the gun pod was always meant to split lengthwise. I guess it's a switch from the telescoping action of earlier models. Cool!

If you look at the CG renders on the official site, you'll notice it telescopes as well as splits.

Anyone care to gander a guess at the length of time for the Micronization process to and from Size in Macross:F setting.

Short enough to make it to dinner.

I wonder how long it takes to get them back to giant size?

Probably the same amount of time it takes to shrink them.

Yep, the rotatating radar dish is monted on the dorsal surface of the fighter/back of the battroid.

Graham

I have to admit that there is something mesmerising about that radar dish when there is a shot of Luca in the cockpit. It just goes round and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.......... :wacko:

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Just a thought....would it be in the realm of possibility that Luca's VF also functions similar to the EF-111 Raven, EA-6 Prowler, and the EF-18 Growler. A sort of offensive oriented electronic warfare VF instead of just being a sort of "defensive" AWACS/ELINT-type unit.

Come to think of it, I can't seem to recall that the real bridge of the Battle 7 shown yet after the first episode. Seems like the NUNS has taken a back seat with regard to all Vajra encounters. Of course, it may still be too early in the series but I'd really like to get another glimpse of it. Maybe even show us the bridge bunnies and captain this time.