Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

Yea Bandai/BW is a mechanical giant, HG is small, I doubt HG could take them on in court.

Oh and the VF-25 has nothing to do with the legalities of this, niether do the other mecha, I remember another thread where the legalities are discussed, but this one is for mecha.

I have feeling the 171's arms are actually a bit thicker than what was shown in the hobby japan scans. The images looked like they were edited in photoshop quickly and someone erased a bit too much on the arms.

Yes, which likely means we'll never see a VF-1 in this series. Shame, really. OTOH, they ARE using the Q-Rau, which is easily identified as a variation on the SDFM original.

you forget the stone VF-1 on the pedestals at the flight center, sir... when we first meet Alto & gang...

Well since HG owns the trademark, they are legally entitled to insist that all "Macross" terms be removed from the show or that BV pay some sort of royalty for it's use (knowing them, they'd probably insist that they be able to shoehorn it into Robowreck somehow). The real question remains, what would happen if BW challenged that trademark? They have a legally binding ruling giving them IP rights over the show. Tatsunoko only owns the animated series, not the material that went into it.

Either way, BV could re-name it "Frontier" and the show would not loose any real content. Hell, for all we know they may have shot scenes with and without the "Macross" name in it, just to get it into the Western market.

Personally I could live with the franchise re-named as "Protoculture Legacy" for Western audiences, since that is the general theme of the franchise anyway. From my inquiries, I've seen no trademarking of the term "Protoculture".... :p

No one hold the trademark for the term "Protoculture". Search Google for "Protoculture" and you will see that "Protoculture" is the name for a music group.

Also, "Protoculture" has many meanings : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoculture_...sambiguation%29

So HG cannot sue BV for the term "Protoculture".

Edited by Macross007

"Megaroad" is three syllables in English, and "Macross" is three in Japanese, and since most anime gets dubbed and subbed when it comes here, there character's mouths should even still sync if every instance of "Macross" is dubbed "Megaroad." Then, I'd hope they could mostly keep the Macross Frontier logo, maybe just add a silver bar over the katakana and print "Megaroad" in red with the same font as "Frontier." The people most likely to be able to read the katakana are the people most likely to know that it's supposed to be Macross Frontier anyway.

I'd like to think, in 2008, they'd be able to resort to more than cheap animation tricks to replace "Macross" with "Megaroad". I mean, the show is CGI heavy, but they couldn't rework the logo for international release? I don't imagine it would be a problem.

I'd like to think, in 2008, they'd be able to resort to more than cheap animation tricks to replace "Macross" with "Megaroad". I mean, the show is CGI heavy, but they couldn't rework the logo for international release? I don't imagine it would be a problem.

Oh, I'm not implying that it would be. I'm sure they could digitally replace the entire logo. I like the logo though, and would like to see it clear with minimal changes.

I'm afraid of what they can do...

I mean...

350px-Sd_helmeppo.jpg

Say no more :(

Megaroad Frontier.

Meh...

Megaroad is such a small part of the franchise. Why not Megalord?

I like PC Legacy since that is what Macross is all about anyway. Humanity's encounters with the remnants of the Stellar Republic and the PC's "experiments"...

Because it plays no part in the franchise. B))

IIRC Megalord was the name of the SDF-2 before it was converted to a colony ship....

Anyway, I have no love for Megalord anyway, I'd rather see PC Legacy. It is far more descriptive of the franchise than some colony ship that got itself lost.... :p

That it was, which is when it became the Megaroad (which there were 13 of).

While the Compendium only says 13 I think may have actually been 30, with the Macross 7 being the 37th long distance fleet.

While the Compendium only says 13 I think may have actually been 30, with the Macross 7 being the 37th long distance fleet.

13 Megaroad class ships. Macross 7 was a different class of ship, the New Macross class. The opening of Macross Frontier shows both Megaroad-lead fleets and New Macross-lead fleets.

13 Megaroad class ships. Macross 7 was a different class of ship, the New Macross class. The opening of Macross Frontier shows both Megaroad-lead fleets and New Macross-lead fleets.

Yeah I realize that the 7 was a new class of ship but it was stated as being the 37th, so that means there were either 30 Megaroads, or someone can't count. As for the opening I doubt if they would show all thirty, of course I haven't watched it in awhile did they show all 25 New Macross.

Just watched the Macross Frontier prologue. The prologue shows Macross 07 launching from Earth in sometime after 2012. Either these ships are early colony vessels or their launches just aren't meant to be in synch with the date 2012. I'd probably go with the latter, since these ships are shown all launching at once and we know they weren't; they were constructed over years. Hence the prologue is to be taken as a "time flexible" display.

The prologue shows Macross 03, Macross 04, Macross 05 and Macross 07 launching from Earth. The prologue also shows Megaroad 01, Megaroad 02, Megaroad 04, Megaroad 06, Megaroad 09, and Megaroad 13 launching from Earth. Lastly, a fleet called M-Frontier is launched from Earth.

Later, it then shows Macross 06, Macross 09, Macross 15, Macross 17, Macross 20 and a few more I simply can't make out launching from Eden. It also shows fleet M-Frontier (designated 025) meeting with the fleet titled M-Galaxy (designated 021, launched from Eden).

So, as far as I can tell, it doesn't help explain the fleet number gap between Megaroad 13 and Macross 7 as the 37th Long Distance Fleet. At this point, we still have to assume there were more Megaroads after 13 to account for the difference :)

So, as far as I can tell, it doesn't help explain the fleet number gap between Megaroad 13 and Macross 7 as the 37th Long Distance Fleet. At this point, we still have to assume there were more Megaroads after 13 to account for the difference :)

*cough* retcon *cough*

Somewhere in these threads we have a breakdown of alot of the fleets seen in the opening of Macross F.

Yeah I realize that the 7 was a new class of ship but it was stated as being the 37th, so that means there were either 30 Megaroads, or someone can't count. As for the opening I doubt if they would show all thirty, of course I haven't watched it in awhile did they show all 25 New Macross.

There doesn't have to be 30 Megaroad ships for the Macross 7 to be the 37th colonisation fleet, there just had to be 36 more fleets ahead of it regardless to what class ship is at the core of the fleet. Using the compendium's ship list, there were 13 Megaroad ships and 13 New Macross ships. That's 26 ships, leaving us only missing 11 ships. Those 11 ships could possibly be a class that has yet to be listed, or those 11 were lead by one of the Uraga class carriers or even Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis ships. The compendium even states that the Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis served in colonisation fleets in the 2040s.

*cough* retcon *cough*

Somewhere in these threads we have a breakdown of alot of the fleets seen in the opening of Macross F.

It's not a retcon. It's fanboys not knowing when not to over analyze the 2040 equivalent of a bad Power Point presentation.

There doesn't have to be 30 Megaroad ships for the Macross 7 to be the 37th colonisation fleet, there just had to be 36 more fleets ahead of it regardless to what class ship is at the core of the fleet. Using the compendium's ship list, there were 13 Megaroad ships and 13 New Macross ships. That's 26 ships, leaving us only missing 11 ships. Those 11 ships could possibly be a class that has yet to be listed, or those 11 were lead by one of the Uraga class carriers or even Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis ships. The compendium even states that the Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis served in colonisation fleets in the 2040s.

Not to discount what you said, as it's likely that this is part of it, but I look at the Compendiums numbers as something like a minimum. As is, there were at minimum 13 Megaroad ships, and the ships between Megaroad 13 and (new) Macross 1 may or may not be, at the Hory Froating Head's discretion.

Oh, and your math's a little screwy. Yes, 13 Megaroads and 13 New Macrosses make 26, but Macross 7 was the 37th, so you don't count 8-12. 13+7=20, and 17 missing.

It's not a retcon. It's fanboys not knowing when not to over analyze the 2040 equivalent of a bad Power Point presentation.

No, Kawamori has been practicing a decent amount of retcon the past few years.

I'm not seeing retcon either, in this particular situation. That's not to say Kawamori and Co. haven't done so because we all know they do love to spit in the face of continuity. I'm just not seeing it here.

As for the fleets, assuming there were other colony fleets besides the Megaroad fleets isn't necessarily a bad guess, it's just assuming a bit too much. We don't know if other colony ship classes existed and given that we are 25 years into the franchise, I think we're somewhat forced to stick with the most plausible and unifying theory that there were more than 13 Megaroads.

And as mikezekely has noted, one cannot include all 13 New Macross Class ships because Macross' 8-13 weren't constructed yet for inclusion into the count towards the 37th Fleet. We have 13 Megaroads and 7 New Macross ships = 20 colony fleets possible in the count towards 37th. This leaves 17 colony fleets left to account for. I think it makes most sense to say they were Megaroads, IMO.

Looking back again, in the opening scenes of Macross F, we simply don't see all of these Megaroads. The Compendium lists 13, which was the last official word pre-Frontier

From Earth we see launching:

Megaroad-01

Megaroad-02

Megaroad-04

Megaroad-06

Megaroad-09

Megaroad-13

I am assuming we have more than one ship per fleet in some of these, but I have no evidence of this. Still, number 13 is as high as they show. I guess one could also assume that ships were re-used, but we have no evidence of this, either.

Edited by Duke Togo

Someone pointed out earlier that M-Frontier is the 25th SUPER Long-Range colonization fleet; and that Macross 7 featured the 37th Long-Range Colonization fleet, no? Translation mileage does vary, but it suggests that there were at least two series of colonization fleets constructed, with M-Frontier and M_Galaxy being members of fleets sent WAY out there to find new worlds to live on.

Also, we know that there have been multiple planets colonized by the time of Macross 7; it's more than likely that it's not just Earth and Eden that are the two main shipyards for the big fleets. I'd surmize that there are at least a couple more that crank out the colony ships as fast as they can find millions of people to ship out on them.

Mark

Someone pointed out earlier that M-Frontier is the 25th SUPER Long-Range colonization fleet; and that Macross 7 featured the 37th Long-Range Colonization fleet, no? Translation mileage does vary, but it suggests that there were at least two series of colonization fleets constructed, with M-Frontier and M_Galaxy being members of fleets sent WAY out there to find new worlds to live on.

Also, we know that there have been multiple planets colonized by the time of Macross 7; it's more than likely that it's not just Earth and Eden that are the two main shipyards for the big fleets. I'd surmize that there are at least a couple more that crank out the colony ships as fast as they can find millions of people to ship out on them.

Mark

Actually that is a plausible explanation as well. SK loves to keep a few back doors open for story purposes.

If only certain fleets left certain worlds, then it is also concievable that smaller worlds may have been sending out Megaroad fleets while Earth and Eden were sending out the Mega fleets.

A newer world would take longer to fill a colony ship as opposed to well established "hub" worlds like Earth and Eden.

Since the opening sequence of MacF only showed fleets departing from Eden or Earth, we don't know if newer colonies launched fleets or what kind.

I almost seems as though each colonized world was commissioned to produce 1 SLD fleet like the Frontier and Galaxy and only Earth and Eden were able to get theirs out of the gate first.