Macross Frontier News Thread *Read 1st post*

azrael

April getting closer and closer...sweet!!

I don't know about you, but I have a feeling that his new macross is gonna be very popular, it seems to have plenty of advertising and I'm surprised BanDai is already doing the 1/72 models and that 1/60 armored VF-25

Can't say much about upcoming models....but those pics are the Toys.

It's popularity will be severly hindered by it's timeslot. Not only is it on late, at some stations have it showing on Friday mornings and people have to got to work or class in several hours time.

I'm actually still trying to make sense of what station is showing it when on the three days listed on the schedule.

Here's scans of the Macross Fronter sections from the new April 2008 issues of Dengeki Hobby Magazine and Hobby Japan Magazine.

No new Frontier toy news this month, but there are a couple of good pictures showing the Macross 25 city ship (Island 1?), that give us a better idea of the size of the city. It's definitely bigger than City 7, by several orders of magnitude.

Two lengths are mentioned in one of the articles, 6km and 15km. Perhaps this is the width and length of the city ship? Anyone care to translate the articles?

Graham

post-11-1204117436_thumb.jpg

post-11-1204117544_thumb.jpg

What's up with the patch on the new character's head? Hope it's not the NUNS equivalent of the yellow Star of David - all Zentraedi required to be marked as such. Eep, that would drive Macross to some much darker territory... Maybe this is just in the manga. Also, I wonder why she's older & busty in one panel and immature in the next...

Edited by Kelsain

And if she's a captain in SMS, why is she dressed as a school girl?

Silly question, I guess in manga/anime you CAN be a school girl and a captain. B))

Graham

Is the city in City-1 supposed to be a recreation of San Fransisco? During the battle, from one POV it does appear that one of the streets slops downwards and when you first see Alto hovering and witnessing the intial damage from the shield shell debre hitting the city below, you can see a bridge that looks suspiciously familiar....

but then again, one of the supporting chara is a, ahem.... 'Happy Camper' so it fits (and not that's there is nothing wrong with that..., LOL)

/me shushs up now.

Macross 7 showed that many old Earth landmarks are reporduced inside colony ships, probably for cultural or nostalgic reasons. City 7 had Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, and various other historical monuments inside, as did the Hollywood ship.

Mark

PS - Pensive talk HERE about Macross! Not Flare! HERE!

Is the city in City-1 supposed to be a recreation of San Fransisco? During the battle, from one POV it does appear that one of the streets slops downwards and when you first see Alto hovering and witnessing the intial damage from the shield shell debre hitting the city below, you can see a bridge that looks suspiciously familiar....

but then again, one of the supporting chara is a, ahem.... 'Happy Camper' so it fits (and not that's there is nothing wrong with that..., LOL)

/me shushs up now.

I think i heard once that Kawamori loves San Fransico. I can't remember why or when he was there though.

I think i heard once that Kawamori loves San Fransico. I can't remember why or when he was there though.

Wasn't his last trip to the US to a California anime convention?

Anyway, Island 1 is massive! I thought it was about 3x the size of City 7, but it could very well be bigger than even that...WOW!

Time to borrow Mr. March's method of responding to many people.

Graham

You sure the school girl isn't a joke character? You know, a character with a high pitched voice that explains everything which normally isn't covered.

And Macross 25's city ship is called Island 1 (and all the connecting pods are called Island 2, Island 3, Island 4, Island 5, etc. etc. etc.). As a whole, you call the fleet Macross 25 or Macross Frontier. ex: "I'm at the Macross Galaxy fleet and I need to get to Macross Frontier fleet." Within the fleet, you use the "Island" designation. ex: "I'm at Island 1 and I need to take the train to Island 25."

I'll update you when I translate it. Because 15km and 6km are both used with "overall length". So let me (or someone else) try to translate it before you start saying anything.

pensives_wetness

It's more likely a district. Different districts represent different cities. The "San Francisco" area obviously looks like San Francisco. The "Shibuya" area looks just like ... Shibuya.

Zinjo

IIRC, Kawamori's last anime convention in the States was at AX in Long Beach, CA.

And let me try to translate the measurements it first before you start saying this length or that length.

Well considering it is teardrop shaped, I'd guess it's 15km long and 6 km wide with a 2000m ceiling.

If this is indeed the case then it is actually approximately 3x the size of City 7, which was 5000m (5km).

Well considering it is teardrop shaped, I'd guess it's 15km long and 6 km wide with a 2000m ceiling.

If this is indeed the case then it is actually approximately 3x the size of City 7, which was 5000m (5km).

Unfortunately that's not quite what it says.

Island 1 is approx 15km in length while City 7 was approx 6km in length (This includes the connecting dock to the Battle section). It says nothing about width.

The monitor was hanging down at approx 2km.

Here's scans of the Macross Fronter sections from the new April 2008 issues of Dengeki Hobby Magazine and Hobby Japan Magazine.

No new Frontier toy news this month, but there are a couple of good pictures showing the Macross 25 city ship (Island 1?), that give us a better idea of the size of the city. It's definitely bigger than City 7, by several orders of magnitude.

Two lengths are mentioned in one of the articles, 6km and 15km. Perhaps this is the width and length of the city ship? Anyone care to translate the articles?

Graham

the two lengths mentioned in the article are Island 1 (15km) and City 7 (6km). altitude of the dome is 2000m. the article says nearly half of the 10 million residents of the macross frontier fleet reside in Island 1. the ground levels feature metro areas, hills, rivers, and oceans (duh). sky city is located on the ceiling of the dome while there are several levels underground with residential and storage space, gravity generators, propulsion systems, so on so on. the shell remains up normally but is closed during battles and folds.

the two lengths mentioned in the article are Island 1 (15km) and City 7 (6km). altitude of the dome is 2000m. the article says nearly half of the 10 million residents of the macross frontier fleet reside in Island 1. the ground levels feature metro areas, hills, rivers, and oceans (duh). sky city is located on the ceiling of the dome while there are several levels underground with residential and storage space, gravity generators, propulsion systems, so on so on. the shell remains up normally but is closed during battles and folds.

Thanks,

That makes it slightly double the size of City 7, but with 5 mil people, it is far more densely populated...

Not necessarily... It is more than double the length, which means it has at least four or five times the surface area, assuming the oval shape of the ship is proportionately the same as with City 7. The internal habitable volume is therefore at least eight to ten times the size of City 7, including much more open air but also much more room underground and in the aforementioned Sky City. I agree that it would be a little more crowded than Macross 7, but not by THAT much.

NICE view of the city's interior, though. You could fit all of the original SDF-1 Macross in there! And hey, why is the lake at the back of the ship? If the M25 helmsman steps on the brakes, everyone in the city would get wet! :p

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

BAD news......................

Dammit!

Macross F will be broadcast on Apr.4.......................

Friday!!!!!

放送時間帯

TBS、金曜日、25:55~26:25、4/4(金)~

MBS、木曜日、25:55~26:25、4/3(木)~、

中部日本放送、木曜日、26:25~26:55、4/3(木)~

RKB毎日放送、月曜日、26:30~27:00、4/7(月)~

北海道放送、月曜日、26:25~26:55、4/7(月)~

東北放送、金曜日、26:15~26:45、4/4(金)~

静岡放送、金曜日、26:15~26:45、4/4(金)~

中国放送、土曜日、26:40~27:10、4/5(土)~

山陽放送、月曜日、26:25~26:55、4/7(月)~

熊本放送、日曜日、25:50~26:20、4/6(日)~

Good grief! Are they really broadcasting it at 2:00 AM???

(Oh well, at least we KNOW it won't be a kiddie show...if Gilliam getting crushed wasn't proof enough.)

NICE view of the city's interior, though. You could fit all of the original SDF-1 Macross in there!

I suspect you could fit a few SDF-1's in there. B))

Hmm, as a battle tactic you could have some fun there. Fit several New Macross battle fortresses inside a closed shell for a trojan horse attack... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Yep. It's replacing Shakugan no Shana Second, which ends March 27th.

Hmmm...I wonder what the ratings are like for that time slot...although I've noticed that after midnight seems to be anime prime time on Japanese TV.

(On an unrelated note: I'm thinking I should change my avatar...I keep getting yours and mine confused!)

Hmmm...I wonder what the ratings are like for that time slot...although I've noticed that after midnight seems to be anime prime time on Japanese TV.

Well I suspect in the heart of TiVo land, most of the shows are recorded and watched later. Most home video is rented not bought like here.

Thank you so much cyde01. I'm going to save this information for a Macross 25 profile.

Time to borrow Mr. March's method of responding to many people.

Am I the only one who does that? I'm honored. Gotta get a copyright on that somehow :)

Blah blah balh lahb habl blah....

Mark

^_^

/me takes a realllllllly deep breath.....

Macross!!

Hmm.... not enough base...

Mac-ru-oss!

hmm..... Oh i know! I need Badgers!

Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! (Macross-Macross!!)

Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! Macross!! (Macross-Macross!!)

ZOMG! Deculture!!

Macross!! Macross!! Macross!!.... etc...

what was i talking about....

OH, yeah. Macross...

Uh is there any other info about the fleets, anything else being discussed or thinked to death about in the Japanesse forums? my curiousness is towards SMS itself. is it the 'Blackwater' of Macross (since a lot of the elements seen in recent anime mirror current events and personas/organizations)? when the scene shifts from the SMS crew lounge to the bridge setting, was that bridge the CIC of SMS or NUNS? was that another ship? or onboard one of the Islands... it's not implied where Osma (sp?) and Gillian deployed FROM during the sequence...

/me eyes mark with evil, mischieft laden eyes?

Is it ok to say i'm REALLY ZOMG excited for this spring viewing season...

but here's a thought. the show will air this spring. what are the odds YOUTUBE all be vigilent in squashing Fansubs of the episodes (other than segments of any particular episode, like the FX portions of some Star Trek remasters seen on Youtube...

Edited by pensives_wetness

^_^

Uh is there any other info about the fleets, anything else being discussed or thinked to death about in the Japanesse forums? my curiousness is towards SMS itself. is it the 'Blackwater' of Macross (since a lot of the elements seen in recent anime mirror current events and personas/organizations)? when the scene shifts from the SMS crew lounge to the bridge setting, was that bridge the CIC of SMS or NUNS? was that another ship? or onboard one of the Islands... it's not implied where Osma (sp?) and Gillian deployed FROM during the sequence...

The Manga describes them as a civilian special forces unit that tests new mecha for NUNS and takes on SOCOM missions for the Frontier President.

The Manga describes them as a civilian special forces unit that tests new mecha for NUNS and takes on SOCOM missions for the Frontier President.

That would probably mean that they are under the direct employment of the company that makes the planes while under direct command of the Frontier President. That does provide some deniablilty for the goverment since it's not directly involved with the NUN's military. Especially since if it has to take on "black" projects.

Conjecture? Probably, which is why I can't wait for the series to start so that we can get a better idea of the Frontier world.

Uh huh, independent contractors. Paramilitary force.

OK, "Paramilitary Force" is the best way to describe what they are, despite the negative conotations it carries in different parts of the world.

"Independant Contractors" is a US euphemism for Mercenaries, they aren't out there building houses after all.... :rolleyes:

OK, "Paramilitary Force" is the best way to describe what they are, despite the negative conotations it carries in different parts of the world.

"Independant Contractors" is a US euphemism for Mercenaries, they aren't out there building houses after all.... :rolleyes:

Saying its a US euphemism isnt exactly right. The majority of PMCs are not American operated or owned, also PMCs arent just used as "Mercs" the majority of PMC work world wide is just to train forces of governments and to train police forces in other countires. Yes they do fight in some countries predominately Africa but they also serve as the coast guard, police trainers, operate ROTC programs, serve as body guards of government leaders, do cash transport, intelligence services, logistical support, cyber security, weapons destruction, surveillance and even train correctional officers in foreign countries on behalf of friendly governments who dont want to occupy their own forces to in what most governments view as menial task. They also have stricter restrictions on conduct and being able to return fire if attack than military forces in the same situations but the majority of their work is training not fighting. PMCs have existed of centuries but the SMS in Macross Frontier is more of an altered version of real world PMCs and fits more in line with how people off handily percieve them.

Edited by Sorata