5 centimeter per second

deadghost

I just saw this story of life, and my god my eyes were so moist, I mean it was so real and touching at the same time, I cant remember seeing something filled with such human art and life. please post what you think of this vivid anime, AND CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE ENDING TO ME.

sorry about that. I am not familiar with that saying, can you please explain it to me

time and tide waits for no man - means that nature and events run their course, whether you want them to or not. So things are always changing, seasons come and go, events happen to you and around you. It's a pretty common theme in these slice of life type shows. The characters just live out their lives and things don't always come to a big climax or get resolved... the just kind of move along in their lives... kinda like real life.

WOW

Thank you deadghost!!!

I had no clue as to what you were talking about-at least not until I saw that amazing screenshot/picture ^

You had me 'hooked' the moment I saw it! After asking my bestest friend to find out more about the title, my suspicions were confirmed! It's an animation by the vaunted Makoto Shinkai! Creator of my favourite anime of all time, Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe)!!!

Once again, thank you! I'm definitely going to investigate this one!

^________________^

Yeay!

P.S. Yes I know it's weird...uncanny even, Mr. Shinkai's works are quite unique! For some reason his name came to mind the moment I saw your screenshot! It's been so long...*Sobs*

Edit: OMG I misspelled his name! Fixed!! Yeay!!!

Edited by Ultra Leader

oh my god you dont know what your missing out on, I am so happy that I am helping someone out, your greatly welcome my friend, oh and what animes do you recommend of his work. I am so going to share these animes with a girl I have been eyeing ;) for a while, hopefully she hasnt seen it, so WHEN i SHOW THIS MOVIE, SHES GOING TO GET TEARY, EMOTIONAL, AND LOVE SICK, THAT SHE WILL NEED ME BY HER SIDE,and you can guess what will happen next :p . Man I am so smart. I suggest you guys use this tactic too

But back on topic that pic is truely something

oh my god you dont know what your missing out on, I am so happy that I am helping someone out, your greatly welcome my friend, oh and what animes do you recommend of his work. I am so going to share these animes with a girl I have been eyeing ;) for a while, hopefully she hasnt seen it, so WHEN i SHOW THIS MOVIE, SHES GOING TO GET TEARY, EMOTIONAL, AND LOVE SICK, THAT SHE WILL NEED ME BY HER SIDE,and you can guess what will happen next :p . Man I am so smart. I suggest you guys use this tactic too

But back on topic that pic is truely something

You're going to try to get some action from a girl by watching anime with her? Where do you live, cause where I'm from, anime is about as geekish as it gets and that's not the setting one wants to create in order to get laid. :wacko:

You're going to try to get some action from a girl by watching anime with her? Where do you live, cause where I'm from, anime is about as geekish as it gets and that's not the setting one wants to create in order to get laid. :wacko:

Awww...poor Dante. And here I thought that the rest of the world has moved on and "Geek" is the new "Jock". :lol:

I didnt say I was going to go that far :blink:,but that would be allright too B)) anyways she is a major anime fan herself, and she has a thing for school love aime that is about comeing of age. I mean if I showed her macross, or any other anime similar to that caliber she would look at me all weird and prob leave me.

Wow, the images look awesome, it is distinctively Shinkai's movie. Can't wait to get a copy.

By the way, The Beautiful World suited 5 centimeter per second better than Eva Rebuild. :lol:

Well heres a little something for you guys, a little amv I found, dont ask just watch it, its pretty damn good. I am thinking about makeing a mac F amv with that song. 5cm per sec amv -utada hikaru
Edited by Mowe

I didnt say I was going to go that far :blink:,but that would be allright too B)) anyways she is a major anime fan herself, and she has a thing for school love aime that is about comeing of age. I mean if I showed her macross, or any other anime similar to that caliber she would look at me all weird and prob leave me.

Try "The Girl Who Lept Through Time". (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo) - I liked it anyway.

There are a couple of Ghibli ones like that too, but they bored me senseless. :unsure:

A little off topic but how would you (or anyone whom seem it) rate "The Girl Who Lept Through Time"?

When I first saw the "The Girl Who Lept Through Time" poster, I thought it has a Ghibli quality and the theme title seems very intriguing. Is it worthwhile to purchase it? I was a little disappointed with "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" when I brought the DVD.

Try "The Girl Who Lept Through Time". (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo) - I liked it anyway.

There are a couple of Ghibli ones like that too, but they bored me senseless. :unsure:

A little off topic but how would you (or anyone whom seem it) rate "The Girl Who Lept Through Time"?

When I first saw the "The Girl Who Lept Through Time" poster, I thought it has a Ghibli quality and the theme title seems very intriguing. Is it worthwhile to purchase it? I was a little disappointed with "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" when I brought the DVD.

9 out of 10. Its really awesome and fun to watch with a slight quantum physics time travelly thing goin for it

God I wish I could fuse Makoto Shinkai with shoji kawamori, then we would be getting some real anime. Back on topic, I still dont understand why the male main character never kept in contact with either of the girls, the surfer girl was really cute and nice and yet he did not care about her in any way even when she was crying he did not comfort her ....well that would have been kind of hard with the rocket launching off, but still he should have comforted her.

Wow, thanks to this thread, I just hunted down and experienced this beautiful anime. I can't wait to buy the upcoming R1 DVD this year. I love Shinkai's work, yet somehow this one fell off my radar.

Thanks for the recommendation deadghost! :)

Wow, thanks to this thread, I just hunted down and experienced this beautiful anime. I can't wait to buy the upcoming R1 DVD this year. I love Shinkai's work, yet somehow this one fell off my radar.

Thanks for the recommendation deadghost! :)

Agreed ^

I honestly don't know how this one slipped under the radar...

Yet another breathtakingly beautiful piece by Mr. Shinkai!

deadghost: "God I wish I could fuse Makoto Shinkai with shoji kawamori, then we would be getting some real anime. Back on topic, I still dont understand why the male main character never kept in contact with either of the girls, the surfer girl was really cute and nice and yet he did not care about her in any way even when she was crying he did not comfort her ....well that would have been kind of hard with the rocket launching off, but still he should have comforted her."

Yes, I'm also unsure as to why Takaki failed to keep in touch...at least with the first girl, Akari. From what I've gathered, Takaki and Akari were exchanging letters for some time after their all-night meeting under the cherry tree. Although I was quickly thrown into confusion after...umm...I think the following sections count as spoilers...

Please do not click on the spoiler if you do intend to watch 5 Centimetres Per Second on your own. :lol:

...yes thank heavens for this feature! Yes, I was somewhat confused when I realised that Takaki was simply 'going' through the motions by composing text messages on his mobile phone...but without actually sending them. This was his means of coping with the pain and frustration of being seperated from his first love Akari, in the hope that he'd someday be able to see her again.

About whether or not he did not care about Kanae (surfer girl)...he probably did care about her on a 'friendly/classmate' level...but most likely nothing more beyond that, as his thoughts and emotions were still deeply attached to Akari. Kanae even came to acknowledge that when she thought that Takaki was always looking to a distant place far beyond her, and that she felt that she probably could not make him happy...SAD! Such a heartwrentching conclusion to know that the man you feel for so deeply could not be with you for reasons outside of your knowledge or control-BUT that being said...she probably did the right thing in not pursuing Takaki...see below. :(

About the third girl/woman Risa with whom Takaki shared a three year relationship... From what brief glimpses and flashes that could be shown, Risa's relationship with Takaki was always shadowed by Takaki's memories/feelings for Akari, ultimately leading to a breakdown. (Sleeping on opposite sides of the bed...facing away from one another and the lone toothbrush.) :(

All in all, as wolfx and eugimon mentioned in their posts...time goes by, things change for better or for worse and although there are very special feelings and moments that are shared between individuals, they rarely, if ever last as long as the individuals want/hope for...still, as always, life goes on.

In regards to recommendations on other works by Mr. Shinkai please see Beyond the Clouds the Promised Place as well as Voices of a Distant Star. :lol:

Wow, just finished watching it. I am completely blown away by the beautiful art works and its simplicity. It has been a while since I have been so engaged to a film.

I have no idea what happened near the end but it kind of works for me, I didn't think it was sad, I guess life just goes on...

The theme song and the re-working of the theme song were wonderful. I hope the R1 relese will come with the original soundtrack.

The interview with Shinkai was great, too, almost as long as the film. He has a very unique way to interpret and describe ordinary day to day events. I am very glad that he is bringing that magic touch back to anime. I also think he is one of few anime director whom really understand how to blend computer effect with great animation cinematography.

Now, I need to watch The Girl Who Lept Through Time.

Thanks again to dead ghost for bringing this film to our attention, almost let it slipped away.

Edited by Mowe

"The Place Promised In Our Early Days" has a heavier feel and was more abstract - I could never really relate to the lead characters or their situation. It was an interesting story, but it just didn't really grip me.

"The Girl Who Lept Through Time" has a simpler story although it can get confusing a few times - it is much more light-hearted than TPPIOED. I found it more involving and profound however. As a story it just works much better imo.

Actually I did tell people about it until its eventual release which I didn't give a review.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...&hl=shinkai

Also do check out Pale Cocoon if you guys like these kinda short poignant anime. ;)

Edited by wolfx

I am really loving this thread ^_^ , al prob have to start a thread for great artistic anime that we can actually relate ourselves too, al do some hunting this weekend. And I am so happy that I am able to share this anime with you guys instead of having it keept to myself and on the vast corners of my hard drive.

Edited by deadghost

Damn, I wish I have seen Wolfx's thread a lot earlier. ^_^

Dante74, you need to get a DVD copy to make the most of the mind blowing imagery quality of this film. Watching it on a computer screen does no justice to this film and will certain to spoil your first screening (I wish I could have watch it in a quality theater... :( ) )

Just finished "The Girl Who Lept Through Time" now. It was fun, and definitely a lot lighter but it wasn't quite what I thought it was.

Must check out Pale Cocoon, too. Got to make the most of the remaining holiday!!! :p

If I have to throw in a recommendation, try Millennium Actress and Jin-Roh.

Actually I did tell people about it until its eventual release which I didn't give a review.

Also do check out Pale Cocoon if you guys like these kinda short poignant anime. ;)

Edited by Mowe

Anyone willing to provide a subbed torrent please? :ph34r: I've been searching and searching but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

try this :ph34r: .mkv format.

'Paprika' and 'MindGame' were other good anime movies I liked. 'Paprika' is a kinda cute sci-fi adventure. 'MindGame' is very surreal and deviates from the anime style, but makes you think.

I will try to watch 'Pale Cocoon' this weekend.

try this :ph34r: .mkv format.

'Paprika' and 'MindGame' were other good anime movies I liked. 'Paprika' is a kinda cute sci-fi adventure. 'MindGame' is very surreal and deviates from the anime style, but makes you think.

I will try to watch 'Pale Cocoon' this weekend.

I check'd out paprika and I might watch it because I am curious, but for mind game I might have to drop acid to understand that one. I am pretty sure they are all good, but maybe mind game was not designed for my flavor, but what I am starting to realize is maybe all or 75% of the anime's out there are based on a physiological level of understanding for the viewers, it could be love, fantasy, or anything -the point is what some of them do is to go into our minds and help us explore what we want to understand and are curious about. let me put in simple terms, you dont watch macross because you know whats going to happen, or you know what your going to feel, you watch it because it flexes your curios feelings and emotions to action and drama . just my two cents