Just picked up Macross Zero HK Boot DVDs...

Draykov

I picked up the HK all region DVDs (parts one and two) at Valkyrie-Exchange. The CG animation was weird at first, but I got used to it. The animation was good, the characters seemed like they might be interesting. I either need to learn Japanese or Engrish and fast. The subs were meeeeeeeesssed up! :angry: What the hell? Blood for energy juice? Birdmen, fishmen...what the hell is going on? I thought I knew who Roy/Rooy/Roi was until he ran across his nemesis (Ivanov?) and said "Focker!" Maybe I just wasn't following that part. Anywho, are there decent English subs out there somewhere and if not, does anyone know if any are planned? This was the most frustrating time I've had with any Macross DVD ever. I have no idea what the hell is going on. :blink:

Edited by Draykov

You guys know I never like to agree with Keith, but this time I'm with him....

Those DVDs are damn cheap from the get-go (walk into a Best Buy store and see how cheap "good" anime sells for). You're getting exactly what you pay for in those HK bootlegs. Be thankful you have the animation on hand and the opportunity to figure out the story.

Now that you've learned your lesson, go download the ANBUone Fansubs and read it in good english. ;)

You guys know I never like to agree with Keith, but this time I'm with him....

Those DVDs are damn cheap from the get-go (walk into a Best Buy store and see how cheap "good" anime sells for). You're getting exactly what you pay for in those HK bootlegs. Be thankful you have the animation on hand and the opportunity to figure out the story.

Now that you've learned your lesson, go download the ANBUone Fansubs and read it in good english. ;)

I totally realize the inherent dangers in affordable HK bootlegs...it doesn't change my feelings. I never claimed to have been cheated; I just want to understand what the hell is going on.

Also, links would be helpful...

Edited by Draykov

I'm going to wait for the hole series to be released and then pick up a gatefold of the set. Well, I hope it's a gatefold. I hope they don't attempt to stick all five episodes on one disc, but you never know... :p

You kids today, I swear. You get pretty well ripped DVD's bootlegged & $10 a pop of a show that may never get released here, and you bitch about the subtitles? Sheesh!!!

I think the argument is that the free subs you can download are better than the $10 knock off. But yeah... ingrates.

You kids today, I swear. You get pretty well ripped DVD's bootlegged & $10 a pop of a show that may never get released here, and you bitch about the subtitles? Sheesh!!!

I think the argument is that the free subs you can download are better than the $10 knock off. But yeah... ingrates.

It's pretty simple, really. I'd like to understand my cool cartoon. Why does that make me an ingrate?

It's pretty simple, really. I'd like to understand my cool cartoon. Why does that make me an ingrate?

Keith is just making the statement that only a few years ago the US kids (or for that matter anyone outside Japan) would have to pay the full price for the real deal Tape ($30-$40 plus shipping)... Have to get a Japan region player... and have NO subs.

Then you could possibly find a bootleg tape, but the quality was CRAP.

Keith is just making the statement that only a few years ago the US kids (or for that matter anyone outside Japan) would have to pay the full price for the real deal Tape ($30-$40 plus shipping)... Have to get a Japan region player... and have NO subs.

Then you could possibly find a bootleg tape, but the quality was CRAP.

All well and good (not something I'd have been willing to do, personally). But I still don't appreciate being labeled as an ingrate or accused of mindless bitching. All I was asking in my original post was "are there good English subs available?"

All well and good (not something I'd have been willing to do, personally). But I still don't appreciate being labeled as an ingrate or accused of mindless bitching. All I was asking in my original post was "are there good English subs available?"

Don't take offense. I can't speak for Keith, but I was just kidding... I actually don't like most anime. I just like Macross (G13 and Harlock also), but I have been aware of the situation of the bootlegs and fansubs becoming recently available and this current scenario is 10 times better than it was only a few years ago. If you feel any agression from anyone on the board on the subject of fansubs and bootlegs it is because those products rip off Big West (owner of Macross) and that ultimately hurts US the fans.

All well and good (not something I'd have been willing to do, personally).  But I still don't appreciate being labeled as an ingrate or accused of mindless bitching.  All I was asking in my original post was "are there good English subs available?"

Don't take offense. I can't speak for Keith, but I was just kidding... I actually don't like most anime. I just like Macross (G13 and Harlock also), but I have been aware of the situation of the bootlegs and fansubs becoming recently available and this current scenario is 10 times better than it was only a few years ago. If you feel any agression from anyone on the board on the subject of fansubs and bootlegs it is because those products rip off Big West (owner of Macross) and that ultimately hurts US the fans.

I don't mean to seem oversensitive about the issue, but I'm not so loyal to Big West that I'm gonna go out and buy a Region 2 DVD player or hack my current one so I can shell out another $50+ for the same thing with the language barrier still up. If they want my money, they can blow HG off the map (legally or physically, I don't care) and start peddling their wares stateside.

Edited by Draykov

All well and good (not something I'd have been willing to do, personally).  But I still don't appreciate being labeled as an ingrate or accused of mindless bitching.  All I was asking in my original post was "are there good English subs available?"

I don't mean to seem oversensitive about the issue, but I'm not so loyal to Big West that I'm gonna go out and buy a Region 2 DVD player or hack my current one so I can shell out another $50+ for the same thing with the language barrier still up. If they want my money, they can blow HG off the map (legally or physically, I don't care) and start peddling their wares stateside.

Oh, I'm with you. I don't buy the official releases... I don't have the DVD player for it, and there is no english subs on them anyway. I was just informing you of why SOME :rolleyes: members being a little snotty when it comes to the subject. ;)

What's the point of buying a bootleg if you can download it..? :lol:

Oh, I'm with you. I don't buy the official releases... I don't have the DVD player for it, and there is no english subs on them anyway. I was just informing you of why SOME  members being a little snotty when it comes to the subject.

Yet another fan-boy hot button. :rolleyes:

What's the point of buying a bootleg if you can download it..?

Perhaps a link/url would be more helpful than taunting? ;)

Edited by Draykov

Perhaps a link/url would be more helpful than taunting? ;)

www.kazaa.com

And the 200-230meg version has good quality and subs. Get the latest codecs and updates for your videocard.

Need I mention that a good number of anime viewers will probably end up not buying official releases after downloading or buying HK bootlegs...

I asked for an actual copy of Macross Zero that was dubbed. I don't understand Japanese, so getting an original would be out of the question. I didn't ask for a bootleg. I don't want to download it from Kazaa like others do because it's illegal anyway.

What the hell?  Blood for energy juice?  Birdmen, fishmen...what the hell is going on?  I thought I knew who Roy/Rooy/Roi was until he ran across his nemesis and said "Focker!"

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE tell me you're joking! They really screwed it up like that??? :blink::unsure: I thought nothing could worse that Planet Dance/Perry Slams/Pranny Strands Basara/Boxana.... ROTFL!

Honestly I want to buy these HK dvds. It's worth it just to see the "Blood" for "Energy juice" line :lol:

Edited by isamu

I want to buy these HK dvds. It's worth it just to see the "Blood" for "Energy juice" line

Well, that was sort of in context. Dr. Roy's Girlfriend (Aries Turner?) was trying to convince Sara and her Pacific Islander buddies to let her take blood samples to check their health. She offered an "energy drink" (bring you happy life with much flavor ;)) as a bribe.

Edited by Draykov

Hey, does anyone know if there are good Macross 7 and Macross 7 Dynamite HK bootlegs on the market with excellent subs? Because I winged it when I bought DYRL? on DVD and was quite pleased with the subs, except that not all was translated, for example, when Roy, Max and Hayao called Hikaru our equivalent of "idiot" after being found with Minmay. And I may just wing it by buying Macross 7, and the Macross Zero subs are worthless, and a couple of months ago there was a post about the fine black lines that show up in the video when there is rapid movement in the second episode. Only in the bootlegged Macross Zero dvds.

None.

Like the saying goes, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.

-- Plato

None.

Like the saying goes, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.

-- Plato

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Macross Fanboy, I bestow upon thee the bible when it comes to HK DVDs:

www.import-anime.com

Click reviews on the right, look up Macross 7, and your answers will be found :) I notice alot of people here go there too. The nice part is reviews are written by anyone, so you can write your own if you buy the set ^_^

Anyways, I don't download anime often. Hardly at all. I downloaded Macross Zero episodes one and two, and that's pretty much it. I'm downloaded a few episodes of Gaogaigar also, because I don't ahve enough money to buy the HK set of it yet. Anyways, I buy the HK DVDs of shows I can DL because I like to have a hard copy. Something I can still have if my computer goes nutso, something I can take elsewhere, something I can watch on a bigger screen, etc.

Yeah. Thanks. And me too, I like to have a hard copy, plus, it's less stuff you have to back up if you're going to do some reformatting. I prefer to buy my stuff too. Plus, I don't even have a burner and downloading Macross from Kazaa is hard, and don't even ask me about SmartFTP or MIRC, my PC has a Trojan! :ph34r:

What's the point of buying a bootleg if you can download it..? :lol:

1. I'd rather watch it on the 27" TV than the 17" monitor.

2. I'd rather enjoy the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on the speaker than the tiny sound my little PC speakers would put out.

3. Believe it or not, broadband internet is not available everywhere. (Comcast technically services my area, but the wiring in my building is too old, and as of yet the landlord doesn't see fit to do anything about it.) I don't care to tie up my bandwidth for two days to download it when for $10 I can have a disc and a case that play on aforementioned TV and surround sound and looks nice with the rest of my DVDs, subs be damned.

Anymore questions? <_<

Need I mention that a good number of anime viewers will probably end up not buying official releases after downloading or buying HK bootlegs...

Not particularly. With Keiji Inafune as my witness (he's the guy that created Megaman, and Abombz!! can testify that that means a lot coming from me), I swear that if Macross Zero ever sees a commercial US release, I will definately purchase it.

Before anyone remarks that my oath only covers Macross Zero, I'd like to point out that I'm not an anime fan. I used to be back in high school, but I kinda lost interest in all except Macross and Gundam. And most of the good Gundam stuff hasn't been commercially released... yet.

I asked for an actual copy of Macross Zero that was dubbed. I don't understand Japanese, so getting an original would be out of the question. I didn't ask for a bootleg. I don't want to download it from Kazaa like others do because it's illegal anyway.

Kensei, any subbed (let alone dubbed) M0 you can buy or download these days is going to be a bootleg. The only way to have a legal sub or dub would be to buy the original and sub/dub it yourself.

Hopefully that will change. There are vague, skimpy rumors of an eventual US release--see http://protoculture.lebhead.com --possibly inspired by one company's slip at an anime convention which was later denied by another company.

In the meantime, it's either download, buy a bootleg, or learn Japanese.

Edit: For downloading, I'd recomment bittorrent (animesuki is a good place to start). And check the pinned imacross topic for some tips on codecs and other tools.

Edited by ewilen