Plagerism or tribute?

Lestat

zentradi-shuttle.jpg

post-544-1198870155_thumb.jpg

Hello people, I was just watching the first Macross Frontier episode, and coincidentally perusing a comic soon after, it was Aliens Vs. Predator Vs. Terminator issue #1. I was astounded to find a predator flying around in a Zjentohlauedy shuttle...

In the words of Rove McManus;

What the...

You know, over the years I've seen many threads like this. Tribute or plagiarism? I'd think the answer is pretty clear. These artists don't stumble across these things from shows they've never heard of, then just toss them into whatever they're working on at the moment because they suddenly found themselves at a complete and utter lack of ideas (especially not when it's a licensed work, with plenty of designs they could have drawn from that).

I'm going to go with tribute. Most of the time, these things are one offs and we never see them again, so I think it can be safely said that they're meant to be easter eggs or homages and are not meant as rip offs.

Have you ever read the Outsiders manga? almost all the spaceships in that are Zentraedi rip offs and the artist admits it.

hmm, nope, can't say I have. :mellow:

Probably because he's referring to Outlanders by Johji Manabe. ^_^

I hope that's right.

I'm pegging this one down to plagiarism. I'm guessing that the artist (and I use that term loosely) saw this design without having a clue what it was. That's how a black part becomes a windshield and other crap like that.

Probably because he's referring to Outlanders by Johji Manabe. ^_^

I hope that's right.

I'm pegging this one down to plagiarism. I'm guessing that the artist (and I use that term loosely) saw this design without having a clue what it was. That's how a black part becomes a windshield and other crap like that.

yes that's right! lol I always screw that name up. Thanks.

For me the big surptrise is a guy from Sweden quoting Rove McManus :o

That would be an Australian ex-patriot living in Sweden. Well, not really ex-patriot, but I moved there. My wife is Swedish, and there's no substitute. :D

I'm not sure that the windscreen isn't a windscreen on the actual ship. It's a bit hard to tell, although scale-wise, the shuttle is large enough to fit several Regults in it, but they aren't big by Zjentohlauedy standards, at least not in storage. It could well be. As for whether or not this is plagarism, I think it's actually hard to tell. The rendition is pretty good quality.

LOL - years ago, when i bought the TPB of this (I like TPB's), I instantly thought 'rip-off' when i saw the pred ship - surely the artist could've drawn inspiration from the original design - not just rip it off completely. Still - nice try i suppose. The concept art in the back of the TPB of the pred looks far better than the actual preds in the story, ah well - such is life.