Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

From watching the 25th Anniversary Special, it looks like the "Red Variables" are easy Armored VF-25 particle cannon fodder after all.

If the Armored VF-25 can do this as the "Main Valkyrie" class while outnumbered, I shudder to think what the next Special Operations Valkyrie could do.

Of course, this is all pilot dependent.

Edited by l_e_m

I was just thinking that maybe the reason for the absence of Destroids is as simple as... They're in the city. Think about it maybe the police force gets tanks which in comparison to a destriod are quite inferior. Then the military controls the destorids which were really best used as roving ship bound cannons.

I used to categorise my life into "before Macross DYRL" and "after Macross DYRL". MII, M+, M0 and M7 each threatened to be climatic but ended up being speedbumps.... but having just watched Mac Frontier last week, I am blown away and seriously compelled to start a new category in my life...I cannot wait till April.

Not sure if this was in the 55 pages before this but did anybody else take special note when the new Skull leader (after hearing about the VIctor -3 emergency) mutter himself saying "Lanka, they are here"....hmm maybe she's somehow connected to the new antagonist aliens? Clearly the military and president seem to know abt them but i think it brings a whole new spin on things to connect Lanka to them.

cannot wait to see how it all plays out...

Sorry if this doesn't belong here (I skipped ahead in the thread), but I watched it, very typical "high school kid gets thrust into situation and exceeds better than the people who spent their whole lives training for it" crap that anime likes to do. I just skipped through everything to the action scenes (because the characters did not inspire any desire to actually learn about them, and the parts I did watch were just nauseatingly cliche), which, just like the rest of it, were overly bright and colorful, with none of the grittiness that I've come to expect from Macross. Not very satisfied with this iteration - at least Zero didn't go all neon-glow on us.

Alittle cynical aren't we...?

I used to categorise my life into "before Macross DYRL" and "after Macross DYRL". MII, M+, M0 and M7 each threatened to be climatic but ended up being speedbumps.... but having just watched Mac Frontier last week, I am blown away and seriously compelled to start a new category in my life...I cannot wait till April.

Not sure if this was in the 55 pages before this but did anybody else take special note when the new Skull leader (after hearing about the VIctor -3 emergency) mutter himself saying "Lanka, they are here"....hmm maybe she's somehow connected to the new antagonist aliens? Clearly the military and president seem to know abt them but i think it brings a whole new spin on things to connect Lanka to them.

you sure that's what he says? Now someone Torrented Eps. 1[[seiyan]_Macross-Frontier_01_(english_subbed_xvid)] and Fokker-be says 'Ranka's finally here'

Now of course, i disagree with A huge portion of Seiyan's sub. sadly it seems the very good three part sub first seen on Youtube is gone. i thought that one made more sence (Gill's comments as he punchs out of his VF-25: I'm not gonna die like this!)

But heh, until i see a Tiawan/China Bootleg disc, guess i'll wait...

Now of course, i disagree with A huge portion of Seiyan's sub. sadly it seems the very good three part sub first seen on Youtube is gone. i thought that one made more sence (Gill's comments as he punchs out of his VF-25: I'm not gonna die like this!)

"Brief 25" pretty much said it all about that Seiyan sub.

Did anyone, who saw the new longer version of the TV special, get what model/toy prototype's they were discussing? Looks pretty small to me so they're probably not 1/60th scale meaning not made by Yamato. The link to the extended TV special can be found in IAD's YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control thread.

:::EDIT:::

Screenshots of the VF-25 models/toys added and link to TV special removed.

vlcsnap108409yy3.png

vlcsnap108971ib2.jpg

vlcsnap110741in0.jpg

vlcsnap109794cl1.jpg

What's the girl doing back there? B))

vlcsnap109538xb7.jpg

vlcsnap110517xx4.jpg

Edited by Dante74

Maybe Ozma is talking about Sheryl in that scene because his little sister is a big fan of her's and he's watching her at the concert on T.V.

Ja, I still think it's entirely possible people are reading a bit much into sketchy translations. We'll see though. Shame April is still so far away, nothing to do but speculate until then.

Did anyone, who saw the new longer version of the TV special, get what model/toy prototype's they were discussing? Looks pretty small to me so they're probably not 1/60th scale meaning not made by Yamato. The link to the extended TV special can be found in IAD's YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control thread.

Now that I had a chance to rewatch it (and I suspected it from the screens but didn't recall), those were 3D models of the VF-25. They were probably made using a 3-D printer. The models are probably useful to the CG modelers when doing perspective or panning shots. Hand-drawn shots tend to have disproportional looking parts so it's just a model for the animators to be sure they get the VFs just right.

What is this longer version of the special you're talking of? Is that from Bio's or something else?

It's just the complete 1-hour special. Bio's version kinda cuts out about 9-minutes of talk about the radio controlled SV-51. The link is on the 1st post.

Watched it and I liked it until Giant Bugs showed up. Then I thought of how original this was and Starship troopers and Gunbuster came to mind.

Because, ya know, space aliens should all look like humans with pointy ears. And the only insects, ANYWHERE, are on earth.

And, uh, insect aliens were totally original in ST and Gunbuster!

Because, ya know, space aliens should all look like humans with pointy ears. And the only insects, ANYWHERE, are on earth.

And, uh, insect aliens were totally original in ST and Gunbuster!

Well Starship Troopers was. The 1997 movie was based on a book written by Robert A. Heinlein, published in 1959.

So I'm late for the party, and watched the Frontier episode 1 just earlier tonight. Can I say I'm totally underwhelmed? I understand there's a cliche start for many Mecha animes where the pilot wishes he could fly the skies and so just conveniently happens that such a desired mech crashes before his feet and he's like ALLLLLLLLLLLRIGHT. LISTEN TO MY SO-.

I've seen countless mecha animes that use this formula of KID WANTS TO BE A PILOT, WAR ERUPTS NEAR KID, SUCH TECHNOLOGY CRASHES TO KID, KID HOPS IN AND STARTS TO KICK ASS which all just so happens to transpire within the first episode to "kick start" the series I'm utterly sick of it (I must say though, Gurren Lagann's take of it was quite hilarious and fresh, I don't know why, but that I enjoyed). I don't mean to take it out soley on Macross Frontier, but you know when the horse is dead, yet you keep beating it with the cliched ugly stick to make it bleed somemore of the same old formula. One may argue, "well what do you expect, its how many mecha-style stories start, it's an unwritten rule", and I'll just go, "fine"...

As for the animation, yes, the CG is well done, but this makes me miss old school 80's and 90's traditional animation so much more. It's a real pity we'll never see any mecha shows animated alla DYRL or even Macross Plus. What I don't like about CG animated flight scenes is that its the paradox of animation, its TOO smooth, and loses out on the slight jitteriness that makes 80's high quality animation, well, nostalgic. I still found Macross Zeros use of CG not nearly as distracting and managed to mix the right amount of CG to still make it look 2D without having to step into 3D boundaries.

The characters are passable, though I have no liking for Alto nor Cherill at this moment. Those will just have to grow on me as the series progresses. Will I continue to watch Frontier? Yes, absolutely. I'm interested to see how much they can explore after 25 years of maturity and its only the first episode, but I'm keeping my reservations and my hype down.

Did I see any big pluses so far? Hell yes. I LOVE the fast packs for the VF-25s. Very stylish and it does suit well, 50 some odd years of mankind's progression in the Macross timeline from the first series up to now.

There's my 2 cents.

Here's to episode 2.

Eureka 7. Seriously watch it. Very smooth animation. Maybe if they ever decide to remake SDF:Macross as an alternate universe they will do it up like that?

Watched it and in the slim minority that doesn't quite like it. It was watchable, but I never digged into it. Also, it suffers from the same kid meets nirvash and Eureka and goes on a larger than life adventure. Sigh. And as I stated before, its not the smoothness of the animation I'm after, its doing the pain staking frame by frame animation traditionally seen that really impresses me. I thought I made a thread about this at one time.

Watched it and in the slim minority that doesn't quite like it. It was watchable, but I never digged into it. Also, it suffers from the same kid meets nirvash and Eureka and goes on a larger than life adventure. Sigh. And as I stated before, its not the smoothness of the animation I'm after, its doing the pain staking frame by frame animation traditionally seen that really impresses me. I thought I made a thread about this at one time.

If that is what you are looking for then yes, we probably won't see hand drawn cell art like the old days. It is too expensive today compared to the automation of computers.

Hell, Japanese studios rarely animate the work themselves. like they used to. It is very often farmed out to Korean animation studios for cell by cell filming.

Giving you guys a heads up.

The Macross 25th Annviersary Concert clips are up on youtube. So far I only found Dynamite Explosion and Seventh Moon by Yoshiki Fukuyama segments of it. Well since i can't post links, you guys know what to do. ;)

PS: I used "macross 25th concert" as the search string.

Edited by wolfx