Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Where can I find the Macross 25th interview then?

I thought the video on imacross4 what I had was it.

I also posted Graham's scans of M: Frontier manga in comic book reader format.

Update:

Thank you!

Edited by boinger

I have found in Emule the complete special tv from TBS, Shoji Kawamori interview+Macross frontier first episode.

the size is 1.37 Gb, if you are interested please search this file:

マクロス25周年記念特番 「祝25周年!あのマクロスが帰ってくるぞSP!!」

;)

THANK YOU!!!

The 25th Anniversay special is amazing to watch. Could only understand 30% of what's being said. :lol:

I like the new Kawamori designed Aibo. It looks like it has a VF-1A head!

Anyway, interesting screenshots of episode 2 when Kawamori was directing his team in Studio Satelight shown in the Special.

VF-25

Battroid mode unloading its shoulder missiles.

2004859168591897897_th.jpg

2003801007391396083_th.jpg

Armed to the teeth

2003861257849198820_th.jpg

Firing its beam cannons

2003880229617814716_th.jpg

Closeup. Looks like it has extra cannons on the missile pods? Or just holes?

2003857641607817065_th.jpg

Big Red Monsters! Lots of them!

2004806965111896886_th.jpg

Gets blown up by Beam weapons (presumably from Ozma)

2004856644370906568_th.jpg

Another one....gets its cannon blown off 1st

2004865297139357238_th.jpg

2004839275058128018_th.jpg

Then its right hands/legs/appendage

2004879287739632396_th.jpg

Followed by a coup de grace

2004810424926714093_th.jpg

And a shot of the unknown red/maroon valkyrie fighter on the right, presumably a VF-25 variant...VF-25D? The special also showed the CAD transforming into battroid mode which someone else here has already posted.

2003887871479816331_th.jpg

Sorry if this doesn't belong here (I skipped ahead in the thread), but I watched it, very typical "high school kid gets thrust into situation and exceeds better than the people who spent their whole lives training for it" crap that anime likes to do. I just skipped through everything to the action scenes (because the characters did not inspire any desire to actually learn about them, and the parts I did watch were just nauseatingly cliche), which, just like the rest of it, were overly bright and colorful, with none of the grittiness that I've come to expect from Macross. Not very satisfied with this iteration - at least Zero didn't go all neon-glow on us.

Edited by Unknown Target

"high school kid gets thrust into situation and exceeds better than the people who spent their whole lives training for it" crap

To be fair though, in gundam newtypes are special people with psychic powers. If you were psychic and could predict your enemies every move before they did it you would have an unfair advantage and seem more "skillful" and "experienced" than the older guy who trained his whole life to respond/react quickly.

In macross the pilot (hikaru) was already in the flying circus. I don't see how this new character is much different to hikaru to be honest. Especially how they have special training schools for young people. No way is it on the scale of gundam "takes one day to read the manual on how to ride a robot and learns instantly" that you see all the time. Give it a chance.

Flying around with a rocket pack on your back doesn't make you near enough qualified to fly even today's fighters, let alone a fighter craft as complex as a Valkyrie. And Hikaru being in the flying circus is like me hopping from my Diamond to an F-15 - you can't learn all that in a day, although your learning will be admittedly much more rapid.

It might not be on the scale as Gundam, but it still doesn't really fix a lot of the cliches, either. I really didn't look too much into the characterization, but from what I saw I didn't really see any huge amounts of depth to them. I will admit that I don't know that much about them though, and may be wrong.

What really bugged me, though, was visually the show had absolutely no dirt or grime - hell, the combat portions looked like a light show, as opposed to an area where people are actually dying.

I'll give it a chance, but so far I'm not impressed.

If you're not into it, that's fine. But this "excelling" that is being claimed is just misrepresentation. Hikaru was crap when he first got into a Valkyrie; that was the whole point. As for Alto, we've yet to see how he manages once in the cockpit. And yes, accomplished piloting of the EX-Gear is a great deal more relevant to a Valkyire than flying a circus Fan Racer, especially since the first episode of Frontier clearly establishes that EX-Gear is integral to the new Valkyries cockpits AND the EX-Gear trains students how to operate the mechanical limbs of a Battroid. The connection can't get much more obvious than that.

Flying around with a rocket pack on your back doesn't make you near enough qualified to fly even today's fighters, let alone a fighter craft as complex as a Valkyrie. And Hikaru being in the flying circus is like me hopping from my Diamond to an F-15 - you can't learn all that in a day, although your learning will be admittedly much more rapid.

It might not be on the scale as Gundam, but it still doesn't really fix a lot of the cliches, either. I really didn't look too much into the characterization, but from what I saw I didn't really see any huge amounts of depth to them. I will admit that I don't know that much about them though, and may be wrong.

What really bugged me, though, was visually the show had absolutely no dirt or grime - hell, the combat portions looked like a light show, as opposed to an area where people are actually dying.

I'll give it a chance, but so far I'm not impressed.

Its a valkyrie flight school they're attending in case you didn't notice. And the EX-Gears act as a valkyrie cockpit control system so yes, strapped to a rocket pack would mean he is qualified to fly a VF-25 but just not as good.

Even for Hikaru he was clumsy with the VF-1D when rescuing Min May and required months of training to join the military onboard the SDF-1.

And I really doubt Alto will be the star ace in the show that does better than everyone who has trained for it. It will be Ozma and Michael/Mickhail.

Honestly if I had a $ for every time someone assumes the kid is an instant wiz just because he shot a gun and killed something, I'd be able to afford the CMs Legios + Tread. :D

I mean it can't be that hard to just fire the gun at a target? He didn't even have to fly the damn plane and already people are judging him as being too smart for his age. Keep in mind too that, max was really young and inexperienced yet kicked hikaru's ass in terms of things killed. Where does that skill come from? They had prior training beforehand, or they understand machines at an early age because their dad or whatever gave them a headstart. It's not that uncommon is it?

But I do see older pilots being discriminated against generally. It's like the makers of the show blame wars on the adults and want them to seem evil compared to the younger pilots. (how many times in gundam is it the parents being portrayed as irresponsible and weak for buckling under pressure to "the man" and causing the teen to hate them?) This is possible due to how anime is aimed at teens. Maybe the adults in mecha shows are like the "muggles" in harry potter books? The "wizards" are those who pioneer, bring change, transform things, and the doubters are the ones stuck to the real world so they are not allowed to perform unbelievable feats in the anime?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Honestly if I had a $ for every time someone assumes the kid is an instant wiz just because he shot a gun and killed something, I'd be able to afford the CMs Legios + Tread. :D

I mean it can't be that hard to just fire the gun at a target? He didn't even have to fly the damn plane and already people are judging him as being too smart for his age. Keep in mind too that, max was really young and inexperienced yet kicked hikaru's ass in terms of things killed. Where does that skill come from? They had prior training beforehand, or they understand machines at an early age because their dad or whatever gave them a headstart. It's not that uncommon is it?

But if the episode 2 preview is anything to go by, it seems that Alto can hold his ground well against the hammerheads. :blink:

Besides he's no. 2 in the whole flight school.

But I do see older pilots being discriminated against generally. It's like the makers of the show blame wars on the adults and want them to seem evil compared to the younger pilots. (how many times in gundam is it the parents being portrayed as irresponsible and weak for buckling under pressure to "the man" and causing the teen to hate them?) This is possible due to how anime is aimed at teens. Maybe the adults in mecha shows are like the "muggles" in harry potter books? The "wizards" are those who pioneer, bring change, transform things, and the doubters are the ones stuck to the real world so they are not allowed to perform unbelievable feats in the anime?

At least SDFM and Zero had an excuse for the teen aces: All the vets were already dead in the Unification Wars. Roy was the "old man" at 25. Now that there's been 50 years of human expansion, prosperity, and valkyries; you'd think we'd have more than a few capable older guys. I keep hoping that we'll see the cannon-fodder pilots learn to adapt. It's silly, I know...

Edited by Kelsain

At least SDFM and Zero had an excuse for the teen aces: All the vets were already dead in the Unification Wars. Roy was the "old man" at 25. Now that there's been 50 years of human expansion, prosperity, and valkyries; you'd think we'd have more than a few capable older guys. I keep hoping that we'll see the cannon-fodder pilots learn to adapt. It's silly, I know...

I don't think it's a matter of capable pilots, but more of a matter of "green" pilots. Imagine a squadron of pilots reacting like Hikaru did when they first encountered the aliens. To fill the ranks for a fleet of 10 million, there will be quite a number of newb pilots in the NUNS ranks who've had little to no combat experience. I agree that I'd like to see a few CF pilots "improve", but it is anime after all, a kid's show, so we'll have to see.

As for the "highschool crap" you have to realized that Mac 7 was a bigger hit compared to Macross Plus in Japan. SDFM was all about characters who hadn't hit 20 yet (Robowreck helped confuse that little tidbit of reality).

All the "series" feature teenagers in lead roles and SK tends to do more adult stories in OVA's and movies, where there is a greater chance older audiences will rent and watch them.

I give the man credit as Alto is a more plausible hero pilot than the 90's series hero was... He's been in flight training for at least a couple of years and from the dialogue appears to already be qualified to fly commercial aircraft.

The show follows all the expected anime series conventions however has definitely stepped back to the dramatic that SDFM has become famous for.

are v so serious about all these things?

what on earth & eden can afford the space exploration at the 1st place (material & time to build the fleets)? do v need to count how many fleets? do v need to calculate how much material to be used? do v need to calculate how much time needed to build all the fleets? do v need to know what is the material?do v need to know how they manage to build them? where are those bases for the construction of the fleets?

no space exploration = no macross stories

y bother to care about the young kids hikaru or alto?

are v so serious about all these things?

what on earth & eden can afford the space exploration at the 1st place (material & time to build the fleets)? do v need to count how many fleets? do v need to calculate how much material to be used? do v need to calculate how much time needed to build all the fleets? do v need to know what is the material?do v need to know how they manage to build them? where are those bases for the construction of the fleets?

no space exploration = no macross stories

Keep in mind that when you mobilize a population with a single goal you can accomplish a lot in a short time.

Prior to 1969 there was no such thing as a manned space mission to the moon. When the United States mobilized itself behind the idea of putting a man on the moon, it only took a decade to accomplish this.

Imagine what would happen when you mobilize a "world" to do the same thing?

Because as mentioned the older generation died in the un wars.

In the newer series, it's so the audience can relate to the characters better. Just as in every american kids cartoon you have a mascot or annoying talking animal who provides the slapstick humour so little kids can laugh while watching the show. You know that.

Thundercats had snarf

He-man had orco

macross 7 had gubaba

In the animated transformers movie you had Grimlock playing the annoying cute pet. (no longer the scary berserker beast warrior that goes out of control like a monster in earlier episodes who almost kills prime)

This is why I think a sidestory involving the destroids would be good. But the destroids are obsolete. :( The last sighting (of them being useful) in a new macross show was in macross zero when they had the monster with claws and the octos and cheyenne.

I know it might have been mentioned before, and if you will kindly point out where I will go and find it myself, but has there been any announcement about how many episodes this series will be?

Or about when in April this airs?

Also someone mentioned above about a preview for episode 2, is there any link to find that?

I know some of this is redundant (?) for most of the people here, but I just saw the decultured episode 1 and I was blown away. It completely rekindled my interest in Macross again, much to my girlfriends dismay. Now I can't stop playing the "Do you remember love?" song.

26 eps. Who knows, maybe it will get extended due to popularity though? The location to find that information is......

macrossworld.com (the search engine isn't that great though. Best to use google instead :D)

But if the episode 2 preview is anything to go by, it seems that Alto can hold his ground well against the hammerheads.

Haven't seen that. What happens in it? The hammerheads were just sleepy or something. Max beat milia and look how many years of combat she had over him?

Firing guns and hitting a moving target is not easy, I know several cops and they've told stories, and I've also seen videos where both sides were within six feet of each other and still missed more than half the time.

This is OT but I had my 1s Macross related dream.

I visited Studio Satelight and had an exclusive interview with Hory Froating Head. :lol:

He was drawing and coloring a big Aquarion poster. He was using color pencils....and he speaks Cantonese when communicating with me. :lol: He and his assistant were very helpful and kept nodding their heads while speaking.

Firing guns and hitting a moving target is not easy, I know several cops and they've told stories, and I've also seen videos where both sides were within six feet of each other and still missed more than half the time.

This target was really giant like really really big. And it didn't move much if at all. I'm going to rewatch that bit where alto shoots it. It's just not the same as amuro ray reading a robot manual and learning how to use it instantly.

In SDF:M hikaru shot a pod that was just standing there possibly due to it not even noticing hikaru. (to me it looks like it was a free hit. That's a little bit different to when the target knows you are there and is already moving around)

Face it we'll never get a show like macross plus with old guys because the US fan isn't as important. TV series is bound to be about teens with skills who grow up and mature. Just accept that in the future teenagers are a hell of a lot more mature than the teens of today and were forced to grow up quicker. That's how I'm going to explain it. Max shouldn't be able to be better than roy but he just is ok? He just IS because he is a genius. It's skill, better education, and sharper reflexes along with being trained earlier in life ....maybe. Like John Conner from the terminator universe. If it helps: Roy never got to beat his Sempai in macross zero. So the old guy is still cooler than his younger brother/student in macross.

This is OT but I had my 1s Macross related dream.

I visited Studio Satelight and had an exclusive interview with Hory Froating Head. laugh.gif

He was drawing and coloring a big Aquarion poster. He was using color pencils....and he speaks Cantonese when communicating with me. laugh.gif He and his assistant were very helpful and kept nodding their heads while speaking.

Very interesting. Maybe the Aquarion will appear in macross as a cameo to fight the bug, and the valks become obsolete?

What can it all mean?

Very interesting. Maybe the Aquarion will appear in macross as a cameo to fight the bug, and the valks become obsolete?

What can it all mean?

That Wolfx's a fan of Aquarion :p

That Wolfx's a fan of Aquarion :p

I think i'm a closet fan cause I wun admit it to myself. :lol:

But I remember I was excited meeting the man himself. I even came up with my bad Japanese and sounded like an idiot but he smiled and spoke Cantonese (which didn't really help since i'm half past 6 in cantonese as well....probably Graham can speak better canto than i do)

Hi, I have cut the last part of special, after the first episode there are a short comment + preview of the second episode MacrossF (2 min. in total). It's possible add this to the rest of special with VIRTUALDUBMOD, is very simple.

In this way the special is complete, but without the first episode.

The link in the first post, thank you azrael.

^_^

Edited by Bio

This is why I think a sidestory involving the destroids would be good. But the destroids are obsolete. :( The last sighting (of them being useful) in a new macross show was in macross zero when they had the monster with claws and the octos and cheyenne.

but remember cronologically Zero is before SDF so the last time we see Destroids doing anything useful is M7 or Plus and that's mostly being bullet magnets.

but remember cronologically Zero is before SDF so the last time we see Destroids doing anything useful is M7 or Plus and that's mostly being bullet magnets.

Well the Valks are the star mecha of the franchise, so doing side stories about destroids would garner comparisons to Gundam and most other giant robot anime...

Not that it couldn't be done, but it would need to find a way to stand out from the crowd, which would not be easy these days... Macross destroids helped to inspire real robot mecha shows like VOTOMs and Gasaraki, etc... so that niche has already been adequately filled.

The Koenig Monster, and Octos are transforming destroids, thus making them unique mecha to the Macross universe.

Logically, as the variable fighter becomes faster and more efficient in battroid form, so too would any destroid units. Essentially they'd be able to "borrow" from the technology for development purposes.

That being said, I am doubtful we'll see any new destroids, since the trend is toward colony fleet stories and not the military (where destroids would most likely be used). Since Mac 7 & Mac Frontier have established that destroids are not employed in civil defense aboard colony vessels there will not be any new destroids designed for subsequent series' featuring colony fleets.