Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

I tried downloading a Torrent of Frontier Ep 1, but all I got was the sound, no picture. This was my first attempt at downloading video, and I'm a little frustrated. Can anyone suggest a decent subbed Torrent for Frontier.

Probably a codec issue. Vid files are authored with various codec which allow computers to run them. Often times they are done with the latest codec and if your computer doesn't have it yet, you won't get a picture. The same can be true with video and no audio.

Did anyone see New Macross 5 fleet come out on the map?

Yes, it is seen leaving next to the Macross 7 fleet's icon...

I tried downloading a Torrent of Frontier Ep 1, but all I got was the sound, no picture. This was my first attempt at downloading video, and I'm a little frustrated. Can anyone suggest a decent subbed Torrent for Frontier.

As Zinjo mentioned, probably a codec issue.

You might want to try this:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Pretty nice package with pretty much all the audio and video codecs you could ever need, plus the option to install a few media players.

Or you can also just download ZoomPlayer:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

It also has the option to download most of the codecs/etc. you could ever need.

KazaaLite MegaCodec pack is your friend. :)

As Zinjo mentioned, probably a codec issue.

You might want to try this:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Pretty nice package with pretty much all the audio and video codecs you could ever need, plus the option to install a few media players.

Or you can also just download ZoomPlayer:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

It also has the option to download most of the codecs/etc. you could ever need.

Thanks for the links. Happy New Year!

I've watched 3 English-subbed versions of the 1st episode now, and will probably continue downloading whatever English versions come out of this. I don't speak Japanese. I keep making New Year's resolutions to learn, and maybe 2008's the year it sticks!

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said... I like the subtitle fonts Infinite Zero/Anime In Action uses.

"Galactic Fairy" would be a pun on Sheryl's surname "Nome" and the mythical fairy/elf creature called a Gnome.

Space Nuns fighting red devil mecha! (Couldn't resist) ;)

Nuns01.jpg

I've watched 3 English-subbed versions of the 1st episode now, and will probably continue downloading whatever English versions come out of this. I don't speak Japanese. I keep making New Year's resolutions to learn, and maybe 2008's the year it sticks!

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said... I like the subtitle fonts Infinite Zero/Anime In Action uses.

"Galactic Fairy" would be a pun on Sheryl's surname "Nome" and the mythical fairy/elf creature called a Gnome.

Space Nuns fighting red devil mecha! (Couldn't resist) ;)

Nuns01.jpg

Wow, good point on Sheryl's name, I hadn't thought of that. :D Also, nice avatar and sig line. Are you quoting that from the Clash of the Bionoids dub? LOL Funny stuff.

Yeay!!! Just watched it-absolutely outstanding!!!

*ROFL* Yeay!!!! FrogPhone!!! Hahaha...the Japanese are so quirky! But I want one too!! :wub:

OMG who said Ranka wasn't cute??? She's great!!! For some reason, she reminds me of a rabbit-currently my favourite character on the show, followed by Mr. Princess boy. Haha.

Thx to the people who put in the superb effort of subbing this great episode! Keep them coming!!!

:lol:

The English dub, yeah. That was the first version of it I ever saw, and was impressed by Focker's manliness... wouldn't let a drink or five stop him, no sir...

Hikaru Ichijo: You've been drinking!

Focker: So? You can still fight- (pause) when you're drunk!!!

The English dub, yeah. That was the first version of it I ever saw, and was impressed by Focker's manliness... wouldn't let a drink or five stop him, no sir...

Hikaru Ichijo: You've been drinking!

Focker: So? You can still fight- (pause) when you're drunk!!!

Nice, same here! I actually have a copy of the old VHS tape. It's a terrible dub but so funny.

Nice, same here! I actually have a copy of the old VHS tape. It's a terrible dub but so funny.

I agree, just great fun to watch. Never mind the defects, we were eager to grab whatever Macross was out there!

Oh Macross Frontier, please don't disappoint us! Keep aiming for a more mature target audience, and I'll be very happy if no one mentions Spiritia in this one! :wacko::(

I agree, just great fun to watch. Never mind the defects, we were eager to grab whatever Macross was out there!

Oh Macross Frontier, please don't disappoint us! Keep aiming for a more mature target audience, and I'll be very happy if no one mentions Spiritia in this one! :wacko::(

welcome aboard man, its always nice to see a Roy fan out there, you remind me of my younger self, I am now finding myself as a OZMA fan but I need more insight on him. If you take note he might be a drinker too since there was a bar behind him, so he might be a rugged drinker. Its good that there still keeping the Roy image alive through mac F, but I swear if Ozma dies I will take the next plane to japan and beat the CRAP out of shoji. Oh and you got to watch macross zero if your a Roy Fan

Edited by deadghost

"Excuse me miss, do you have this in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL"

:lol:

ROFL!!!! :lol:

Man, its nice to be back in the forums after a 1-week haitus. :-)

BTW, did anybody notice something weird on Isamu Test Pilot's Ali Sama's screen cap of teh SKULL LEADER? :D

http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/ISA...STPILOTOZMA.jpg

Ozma's hair can partially block one of his eyes during combat. :blink:

Does that make him more of a BADASS then? : :ph34r:

@aerodrew:

Uhmmm....should'nt this be labeled as NWS (Not Work Safe) or am I just having a too vivid imagination. :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/aer...71230212907.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/aer...71230212932.jpg

While the armored super/super VF-25 weapons were marginally effective against the red Variable, the red Variable continued to actively disengage (evade) from the 25s. From the red Variables' actions, the 25s seem to be effective enough. This makes me question whether these red Variables are actually piloted by a machine and not a sentient being who recognizes his/her mortality. I don't think a machine would act this way. At least, the Ghost Fighter didn't.

All the VF-25 needs is an upgrade in its weaponry (a better gunpod and the YF-19 attachment seen in Mac+ could do the job) and a speed boost. Considering the other series, Macross Frontier could be worse off, so far they don't seem to be massively outnumbered.

Ozma's wingman could've benefited from a PPB as well seen on the 19s and 22s.

You mean this: (Credits to AreaSeven, hope you don't mind)

yf1917.jpg

But, was'nt that an experimental weapon, and it was sued against an old Monster Destroid (Red Bug could be more heavily armored than even that old Destroid), AND IIRC you need to be in Gerwalk or Battroid mode to use it. One can't actually transform to Fightermode with that thing on.

Heh, PPB Punch anyone? :-)

Edited by grss1982

But, was'nt that an experimental weapon, and it was sued against an old Monster Destroid (Red Bug could be more heavily armored than even that old Destroid), AND IIRC you need to be in Gerwalk or Battroid mode to use it. One can't actually transform to Fightermode with that thing on.

I looked at macross.anime.net for more information, and I did not find an entry for it. Perhaps, I missed it though.

I cannot say for certain whether you could not employ the weapon other than Battroid. From the shoulders, it does appear to be apart of a FAST Pack system.

This weapon's appearance and effect most resembles the cannon seen on the red Variable in Macross Frontier.

While the red Variable might have more armor protection, this weapon should do some damage to it moreso than the 25s gunpod or missiles.

Heh, PPB Punch anyone? :-)

There is a possibility that the PPB would have prevented access into the VF-25/VF-171 canopy by the Hammerheads and the red Variable.

Edited by l_e_m

I guess I'm one of the few who don't rave about Macross Frontier. While the animation quality was good, and the designs were passible, none of the characters were terribly relateable or likeable. So far, each character seems kind of bland and generic, although I suppose Ranka's cute in her beauty obsessed sort of way. Still, none of the characters seem to have any of the grit and likeability of those in SDF, M7 (and I don't like M7), or M+. Then again, this is the first episode-- but you'd think this would be the most important episode in introducing the essence of a character beyond yet-another-pretty-but-bland character design. The characters sort of remind me of those in M0, who also tended to be bland, slightly conflicted, but mostly either cute and over-expressive or emotionally aloof. I'll have to see more, but there's not much so far to get excited about here.

Now I'd agree with most that the designs are well done, but at the same time, they don't feel very "Macross" to me-- or at least those parts of Macross that I fell in love with apart from the generic template of transforming planes, aliens, and singing girls. It seems that each generation of Macross bears an aesthetic that's more and more fanciful, with a color palette that's more and more fantastic, and departs farther from what first made Macross relatable, believable, and endearing to me. MF feels more like generic Gundam Wing-esque anime and seems to be departing from its real-robot roots, the same transition the Gundam franchise seems to be undergoing itself.

The music is somewhat catchy and likeable... and the series might improve for me. And it might just be that my subs weren't the greatest-- but there just wasn't all that much dialogue to translate in the first place. I guess we'll see. I did appreciate the homages, but its sort of telling when the things I can get excited about are all homages and what I've seen of MF hasn't given me new cause for excitement on its own.

Edited by Sundown

I guess I'm one of the few who don't rave about Macross Frontier. While the animation quality was good, and the designs were passible, none of the characters were terribly relateable or likeable. So far, each character seems kind of bland and generic, although I suppose Ranka's cute in her beauty obsessed sort of way. Still, none of the characters seem to have any of the grit and likeability of those in SDF, M7 (and I don't like M7), or M+. Then again, this is the first episode-- but you'd think this would be the most important episode in introducing the essence of a character beyond yet-another-pretty-but-bland character design. The characters sort of remind me of those in M0, who also tended to be bland, slightly conflicted, but mostly either cute and over-expressive or emotionally aloof. I'll have to see more, but there's not much so far to get excited about here.

Now I'd agree with most that the designs are well done, but at the same time, they don't feel very "Macross" to me-- or at least those parts of Macross that I fell in love with apart from the generic template of transforming planes, aliens, and singing girls. It seems that each generation of Macross bears an aesthetic that's more and more fanciful, with a color palette that's more and more fantastic, and departs farther from what first made Macross relatable, believable, and endearing to me. MF feels more like generic Gundam Wing-esque anime and seems to be departing from its real-robot roots, the same transition the Gundam franchise seems to be undergoing itself.

I agree with you 100% Especially the characters. Look at the male lead Alpo. He's got the same boring moody nature that Shin has. What happen to likeable heroes? Hikaru had plenty of reasons to be a aloof loner but Hikaru saw the glass half full, Isamu was full of life, Gamlin was trying to act mature and serious but you could like. You could tell he was human. Look at Alpo. A quiet, pretty boy, loner. What is there to like about him? Why should I even care about him? Maybe as the series progress he'll become more interesting but right now who cares. Little girls maybe? Just because Alpo looks like a girl doesn't mean has has to act like a pussy.

Still it is only the first episode.

Has anyone mentioned that the bugs seem to have markings that are very similar to the ones found on the Mayan stones in M0? Also it seems they knew what they were looking for. They blew up battleships without hesitation and blitzed past them to get to the Frontier, and all of them broke into the Frontier without trying to blow it up.

vinnie

Like I said, they didn't enter the colony ship to hit up the shops.

No they weren't there to hit the shops, just trying to evade an enemy bearing down on it with enough firepower to damage or destroy it. The VF-25s with their armor and fast packs were much more sucessfull at shooting down the bugs than the VF-171s were.

Before the redbug entered Frontier City the CIC reported that the bugs were attacking the "islands" aka the Pill ships, so this was an all out attack on the fleet not an isolated Search and Destory mission. We as the audience only witnessed one of the infiltrations.

Is Sheryl and/or Ranka persons of interest to the aliens, possibly? However, whether they are being sought by the aliens hasn't been revealed yet.

Edited by Zinjo

First episodes are always a challenge because there's just so much story elements you have to leave established if you want your audience to come back for the next episode. The character's personality I think it's the most important of all and the most difficult too. As a Macross fan I gave Shin a second and a third chances, but I just couldn't sympathize with him.

I feel the same towards Alpo (or whatever you spell it). All the director could tell us about him is that he hates living in Frontier because the service ceiling is barely 2000 Ft. Too vague for a main character on such a critical episode IMHO.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Has anyone mentioned that the bugs seem to have markings that are very similar to the ones found on the Mayan stones in M0? Also it seems they knew what they were looking for. They blew up battleships without hesitation and blitzed past them to get to the Frontier, and all of them broke into the Frontier without trying to blow it up.

vinnie

Yes it has been noticed that the markings are similar. To me the markings look like a simplified galactic spiral.

Well considering the size of the macross cannons on the red bugs, they'd need several to take out a city ship 5 km in diameter and the "Islands" are not very much smaller...

They may have been investigating what kind of life form existed inside these floating bubbles in space... Once inside the civilian ships, you will notice their tactics switch to defensive from offensive.

The attack on Alto, is most likely due to the fact he was wearing the same exosuit as the SMS pilot, thus considered to be another threat...

I feel the same towards Alpo (or whatever you spell it). All the director could tell us about him is that he hates living in Frontier because the service ceiling is barely 2000 Ft. Too vague to a main character IMHO.

Well actually he hates not being a fighter pilot. It appears that he has been relegated "shuttle pilot" while his friends have been selected to apprentice with the SMS... I get the vibe of someone very disappointed in the results of his life so far, jealousy of his teammates (Micheal appears to like to rub it in Alto's face that he didn't qualify for fighter training) and an overall restlessness to prove himself. Which is a different hero type for a Macross series, all the other heros were accomplished or recognized pilots. Here we have a capable pilot who has to "prove" he can do it...

Edited by Zinjo

First episodes are always a challenge because there's just so much story elements you have to leave established if you want your audience to come back for the next episode. The character's personality I think it's the most important of all and the most difficult too. As a Macross fan I gave Shin a second and a third chances, but I just couldn't sympathize with him.

I feel the same towards Alpo (or whatever you spell it). All the director could tell us about him is that he hates living in Frontier because the service ceiling is barely 2000 Ft. Too vague for a main character on such a critical episode IMHO.

From SDF Macross ep 1 all we know about Hikaru is he came to South Ataria island to meet his "sempai".

And from Mac7 ep 1 all we know about Basara is he's a rock star and somehow he has a valkyrie and he's flying around shooting speaker pods at the enemy while singing. :wacko:

Gosh guys its just ep 1. You're only saying these things cause the next episode is 4 months later. ^_^

Which is a different hero type for a Macross series, all the other heros were accomplished or recognized pilots. Here we have a capable pilot who has to "prove" he can do it...

Yeah but does he have to be withdrawn moody about it? What about him being passionate and driven? I want to share this desire with Alpo. I want a hero with some emotion.

He's got the same boring moody nature that Shin has.

Once again, where are you people getting this from? He's Milia circa SDF Macross. He is confident, focused, and determined. He doesn't come off at all as angry or moody. Unless you guys are still watching that original garbage subs release, I just don't see this.

Once again, where are you people getting this from? He's Milia circa SDF Macross. He is confident, focused, and determined. He doesn't come off at all as angry or moody. Unless you guys are still watching that original garbage subs release, I just don't see this.

Maybe I'm watching bad subs. What's the best one out? Or maybe I should sift through 43 pages for that answer. At any rate, Milia wouldn't make for a very interesting initial protagonist-- its only her inner tension after contact with humanity that makes her interesting-- and she's much more interesting in M7 where she's a bit more human and yet retains her headstrong sass. Still, she would only ever be a support character, and could never serve as a relateable main. That Alpo/Alto is even likened to her (not to mention being likened to a woman at that) isn't terribly promising.

Edited by Sundown

Lame double post. Might as well make use of it.

From SDF Macross ep 1 all we know about Hikaru is he came to South Ataria island to meet his "sempai".

And from Mac7 ep 1 all we know about Basara is he's a rock star and somehow he has a valkyrie and he's flying around shooting speaker pods at the enemy while singing. :wacko:

Gosh guys its just ep 1. You're only saying these things cause the next episode is 4 months later. ^_^

But in SDF, we have a somewhat likable but bumbling Hikaru, who right off the bat is framed in a fun interaction with a very initially likeable Fokker, who then immediately gets thrown into the mess of his life with the girl of his dreams. Right off the bat it frames everything that we'll be interested in for the rest of the story-- Hikaru, Minmei, his relationship with Roy, and what the war with the aliens will all mean.

In M+, we have a brash, somewhat annoying, somewhat entertaining Isamu-- we instantly know what he's about-- pushing the edge, breaking the rules, and we know his hot shot mentality will either make or break him as he's given the opportunity to test pilot in a competition for the next production valkyrie. His childhood friend being his rival in some sort of bizarre love triangle makes things interesting as well.

In M7, we pretty much know what Basara is about-- screaming at people with his speaker pods and songs. Some of us find him grating. That's why they included a moderately watchable Mylene to balance the grating Basaracity.

But in M0, we sort of get a mopey, brooding pilot who graces us with breathy monotone voiceovers-- honestly, I can't even tell you what the first episode was really about. I can tell you what happened-- he flies an F14, gets shot down, there's some funky stuff with aliens and he almost loses his RIO. But I can't tell you what it's *about*.

And in MF, we get Alto, who's somewhat broody and irate (rightfully so, I suppose), who's bishouneness doesn't win likeable points for a male viewer like myself, who'd rather a character be likeable or "cool" than pretty, who's only marginally relateable trait is that his pretty-boy-ness is as annoying to him as it is to us, but who doesn't display any other likeable trait. He doesn't seem to show much likeability even in his desire to fly, as his main attempt at flying has been so far to fly on fun-but-fruity-looking wings, which again, doesn't really scream "badass" or "cool" to me. A character like that needs to be handled with some wit and humor-- or else he's just a broody, emo elf, and I guess that's just not my cup of tea.

The interactions that he has with his friends seem mainly to revolve around mild annoyance, and any spark of fun never really gets developed more fully beyond him ignoring them. He interacts with Sheryl, but it's mainly to talk at her and storm off. He also ends up interacting with Ranka, which presumably sets him up for a Hikaru-Minmei-like interaction that the final scene mirrors, with him being the accidental hero of circumstance, but his interaction with her is again one of kind but aloof apathy and displaying none of the charm in Hikaru and Minmei's banter. In the end, Alto's not having any fun. And as a result, I'm not either.

I guess I'm also not a big fan of the flying-wing-suit. The design's just too fanciful for me for a Macross series. And it feels to me wholly contrived that Alto's suit just happens to be the same as the military issue, and just happens to enable him to pilot the valk a pilot "ejected" out of. Instead of Hikaru's fun and somewhat believable bumbling, I can't help but feel that the director wanted a homage, wanted a hero who flies like a fairy on wings, and *wanted* it to make sense that he would have them by making it necessary to pilot the valk, rather than circumstances naturally making sense.

I guess I can't help but feel that this wasn't really made for folks who really liked or would have liked SDF or M+, but rather teenage girls who read girls comics, boys who are used to broody characters and like pretty robots in whatever form, and all three fans of M0. Hah, I know most anime is made for teens, but it doesn't have to feel so much like it-- and good storytelling is compelling regardless of the target audience.

Then again, maybe I just have bad subs. =)

Edited by Sundown