Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

I don't like Shirly Temple one bit...

As annoying as Kaifun was, he told Minmey to sing when an attack was taking place - to keep people's spirits up - and as girly as Minmey was, she had the courage or sense of professionalism to do so.

As irritating as Basara was, he bravely sang in the hopes that his music would end war.

Shyrly Temple is a stuck up star who thinks she's the most important thing in the world and when trouble hits she high tails it away saying that the "professionals" should handle the crisis.

Some inspiration.

I seriously doubt that THIS FAR along in the Macross saga, the power of music as a culturally significant force in the history of humanity is unknown.

When people go to a concert in the Macross universe, I would bet most of them aren't just thinking "cool, music and party!" but that they are also aware of how important music is to human history....

So Shyrl's behavior should definitely not sit well with the crowd...

Unless I'm just wrong.

VFTF1

As annoying as Kaifun was, he told Minmey to sing when an attack was taking place - to keep people's spirits up - and as girly as Minmey was, she had the courage or sense of professionalism to do so.

As irritating as Basara was, he bravely sang in the hopes that his music would end war.

Shyrly Temple is a stuck up star who thinks she's the most important thing in the world and when trouble hits she high tails it away saying that the "professionals" should handle the crisis.

Some inspiration.

I seriously doubt that THIS FAR along in the Macross saga, the power of music as a culturally significant force in the history of humanity is unknown.

When people go to a concert in the Macross universe, I would bet most of them aren't just thinking "cool, music and party!" but that they are also aware of how important music is to human history....

Unless I'm just wrong.

VFTF1

ah come on VFTF1 she is hot, cute, and sings what more do you want. She is like any other good looking girl who has a unmoveing side as what I would call it, at least shoji was being realistic this time. Man if I was a SMS member I wouldnt mind risking my life to save her :p

ah come on VFTF1 she is hot, cute, and sings what more do you want. She is like any other good looking girl who has a unmoveing side as what I would call it, at least shoji was being realistic this time. Man if I was a SMS member I wouldnt mind risking my life to save her :p

oh and comparing sheryl to all the girls I have dated I would consider her a angle -personality wise

Some inspiration.

Perhaps it's some ambiguity in the translation, but what if Sheryl's referring to herself as the "Professional?" Also, I'm beginning to suspect the floaty-glowy thing she had on the starliner was specific to her: Everybody else behaved just like their 757 had just landed at the airport - she was disoriented and murmuring to herself. It was also rather similar to Mao's controversial telepathic projection from the end of M0. I'm betting it's something to do with being a Nome in space, and that the bugs were attracted by her.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Edited by Kelsain

As much as how everybody is kinda bashing and complaining about he characters on the flaws of the special. I might say something there was anything I would complain about it would not be the male characters who I find are great in every way.But for the girls being not so much cute as I wanted them to be, but still my heart pours for them, Hell if I saw them in real life I would be on them faster then white on rice. They are great but they could have done better, I can say the same for Myung in mac +, and Mylene in mac 7. Who knows maybe shoji has low standards or something. I can not stress the importance of cute and fine girls in a anime, it helps the anime, for example -ah my goddess I hate the story but I watch it only because I like the girls,same for neon genesis evangelion, that anime is a nightmare for me but I watch it because I like auska, nothing else. Just my two cents

I think maybe you have very high standards if Mylene and Ranka don't fit your "cute girl" requirements....:)

For what it's worth, I don't think Myung was intended to be cute (although I think in the flashbacks with her longer hair and a baseball cap, she was much closer).... and in Macross F, Sheryl and Catherine are probably intended more to be sexy than cute (although Sheryl can seemingly pull off cute when she wants to; like in her Macross Frontier Tour poster).

Umm, where does this come from? Catherine has to specifically drag Sheryl off the stage - she clearly had wanted to keep singing. I'm not sure how you can blame her for not staying and singing when she is being dragged off stage (and that would have been reckless anyway; with the area being attacked, continuing to perform and maybe keeping people from evacuating would have been reckless).

Also, I'm not totally clear on the translations. In the Shinsen subs, she says "This is a job for professionals. Get back, amateur." which I assume is closer to what she actually says (in the Seiyan subs, she just says something like "We'll let the professionals take care of it."

It's a bit tough I think at this point to interpret exactly what she's saying.

As Kelsain said, she could be including herself in the "professionals" that are responsible for handling this.

She could also generally be acknowledging that this IS in fact a job for "professionals" (i.e. people who know what they are doing and are trained to do it).

If anything, this would make her the opposite of someone like Basara - she doesn't think that there's anything she could do, and trusts the professionals on the ship to handle this issue, without her getting in the way.

Either way, whatever her deal is (I just don't think we know enough about her yet), I think this is clearly an area of character growth for her that we might see throughout the series.

If she is in fact a stuck up star and nothing more, I'm still not so sure how surprising that would be - I mean, she is different from a Minmei or even a Basara. She's much more like a typical idol star that people worship, and it's pretty natural that she would be a stuck up music star like many people we see in real life.

But I suspect that if she is, it is an area where she will grow throughout the series.

-Elektrix

I am just not seeing it. I've heard a few people say that, he's angry, yadda yadda. Makes me feel like I'm watching something totally different, because I don't see it at all. If anything, he reminds me of Milia.

He's definitely not as angsty as what you can usually find, but it is there- Sullen, misunderstood by his peers, has dreams and aspirations beyond his lot in in life.

Like I said, though, I think it's hilarious how they completely de-mystify him right off the bat with the girl jokes.

Some inspiration.

Unless I'm just wrong.

VFTF1

My guess is that she's written to give this impression at the start. What's interesting, though, is her complete attitude change from when she arrives at Frontier from Galaxy vs. her stoicism when leaving during the attack. Makes me wonder.

My guess is that she's written to give this impression at the start. What's interesting, though, is her complete attitude change from when she arrives at Frontier from Galaxy vs. her stoicism when leaving during the attack. Makes me wonder.

I think it is interesting that you see the attitude change start I think right when she has to appear in public for the press (a scene which still reminds me very much of Sharon Apple's appearance on Eden).

I think perhaps she does have a very controlled public persona and a private one.

Again, either way, I think it will be necessary to see more of her to really tell for sure; we do seem to see multiple aspects of her personality just in this first episode. The Sheryl at the very beginning, as you say, seems to be very different from what we see of her at the end.

Perhaps it's some ambiguity in the translation, but what if Sheryl's referring to herself as the "Professional?" Also, I'm beginning to suspect the floaty-glowy thing she had on the starliner was specific to her: Everybody else behaved just like their 757 had just landed at the airport - she was disoriented and murmuring to herself. It was also rather similar to Mao's controversial telepathic projection from the end of M0. I'm betting it's something to do with being a Nome in space, and that the bugs were attracted by her.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Not a bad theory, I did look at her birth marks and they do like some islands. Its a very good theory. like you said we might have to wait and see

Oh, the Space Monsters didn't enter the main colony ship to check out the shops. They were looking for something. :) And I don't think it was any mistake that Sheryl was brought to the Frontier when she was.

Edited by Duke Togo

I thought it looked more like the colony found the bugs. Don't we see the bug kick on? It seems to me like the elintseeker entered the bug's area which set them off. It didn't seem to me like th bugs were out in space pursuing anything.

It was too far away to see if that was a defold or simply an activation.

Got to watch the episode today. The animation is well done and the CGI blend is well executed, the textures are really nice. I'm beginning to like the design of the VF-25. The Hikaru's theme is my favorite. The VF-171 are also very nice. I can't wait to see more.

Umm, where does this come from? Catherine has to specifically drag Sheryl off the stage - she clearly had wanted to keep singing. I'm not sure how you can blame her for not staying and singing when she is being dragged off stage (and that would have been reckless anyway; with the area being attacked, continuing to perform and maybe keeping people from evacuating would have been reckless).

Also, I'm not totally clear on the translations. In the Shinsen subs, she says "This is a job for professionals. Get back, amateur." which I assume is closer to what she actually says (in the Seiyan subs, she just says something like "We'll let the professionals take care of it."

It's a bit tough I think at this point to interpret exactly what she's saying.

As Kelsain said, she could be including herself in the "professionals" that are responsible for handling this.

She could also generally be acknowledging that this IS in fact a job for "professionals" (i.e. people who know what they are doing and are trained to do it).

If anything, this would make her the opposite of someone like Basara - she doesn't think that there's anything she could do, and trusts the professionals on the ship to handle this issue, without her getting in the way.

Either way, whatever her deal is (I just don't think we know enough about her yet), I think this is clearly an area of character growth for her that we might see throughout the series.

If she is in fact a stuck up star and nothing more, I'm still not so sure how surprising that would be - I mean, she is different from a Minmei or even a Basara. She's much more like a typical idol star that people worship, and it's pretty natural that she would be a stuck up music star like many people we see in real life.

But I suspect that if she is, it is an area where she will grow throughout the series.

-Elektrix

I just wanted to say, this is exactly how I feel about Sheryl. She didn't even want to rest even if the travel was taking a toll on her, which in my opinion, is a sign of professionalism/diligence.

In one of the subs, there were direct orders that said, "Don't let anything happen to her (Sheryl)" and that the implications are bad should anything bad happen to her. It would be more stupid of her not to know that she should let other people do the job. She's just a singer anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL, THE BEST FOR ALL

Today in last day of 2007 I was playing Macross PS2 videogame, When I played the Aiganagareru I notice that the symbol in the valkyrie that you control is pretty similar (maybe the same) that the symbol of the SMS skull squadron that Ozma shows in his helmet...

Perhaps somebody already post this detail but just in case nobody did it, here are the pics I took direct from my TV screen

post-4175-1199156648_thumb.jpg post-4175-1199156788_thumb.jpg

Here is the pic from the MF ep 01

post-4175-1199156816_thumb.jpg

I think too that the monster bugs were looking for a specific target, and I think they were looking for Sheryl becuase she is a Nome, well is just a theory we need to wait for more info jeje B))

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL, THE BEST FOR ALL

Today in last day of 2007 I was playing Macross PS2 videogame, When I played the Aiganagareru I notice that the symbol in the valkyrie that you control is pretty similar (maybe the same) that the symbol of the SMS skull squadron that Ozma shows in his helmet...

Perhaps somebody already post this detail but just in case nobody did it, here are the pics I took direct from my TV screen

post-4175-1199156648_thumb.jpg post-4175-1199156788_thumb.jpg

Here is the pic from the MF ep 01

post-4175-1199156816_thumb.jpg

I think too that the monster bugs were looking for a specific target, and I think they were looking for Sheryl becuase she is a Nome, well is just a theory we need to wait for more info jeje B))

Hey me too! I played the Macross game again 2 days ago and realised about the logo having a similar skull. Its probably a skull of some animal or something.

Why is Ozma so surprised to see Ranka at the concert? It was him who got her in there, wasn't it? (Note that he uses the skull as his avatar on the FrogPhone)

I'd say he was surprised to see such a long close shot of her on TV (which happened because Alto seemed to be staring at ther)

-Sergorn

I tried downloading a Torrent of Frontier Ep 1, but all I got was the sound, no picture. This was my first attempt at downloading video, and I'm a little frustrated. Can anyone suggest a decent subbed Torrent for Frontier.

For the meantime, I ripped Don't be late from the first episode, along with the voices :p This download link has both the one ripped by GGemini and the one played in the first episode, which are different versions. Listen to the rhythm section and you'll hear it. The one in the CM has real drums, the one in the episode has synth rhythm. That was the first thing I noticed listening to this version. Maybe the old CM one was a demo.

Speaking of the song, I really hope they add the bass back to the song in the 'final/official version' of this episode. The bass makes the song all the better imo....

Edited by Oihan