Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

I can't seem to find the trailer for the second episode. =( I've checked all of the links on the first post of this thread. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

For the record BTW.... the HD .MP4 Raw for the first episode includes the trailer for the second episode at the end of the episode, unlike the other version

-Sergorn

It also does not look modular. they probably decided to not have the main battle fortress docked with the city when they created it.

You clearly see a New Macross Class battle fortress at the front of the colony as it's flying at the screen in that shot right at the end of the history recap.

Ah, well if you are indeed just speculating and not making statements that's fine and there is no reason to argue, except to provide further information. However, Duke and others are reacting to statements you've posted that are written in a rather definitive manner. Such as the one I quoted, that you've gone back and forth with Duke over. You stated, in no uncertain terms, that the M0 incident had been declassified. The way you wrote it was not suggesting that the incident may have been declassified, but that it had been declassified prior to the events beginning in Frontier. Duke was merely pointing out, in his own way, that there is nothing to suggest that this is a certainty.

Perhaps there is a miscommunication? From that post, Duke has mainly been criticizing that one single point, which was stated as a definitive as written, and his argument has been pretty much entirely to point out that this is not something we know as a definitive. After all, in a text based environment such as a web forum, how you write something is every bit as important as what you're trying to say. It would avoid further miscommunication to avoid definitive terms when speculating.

:)

The actual quote in question is this:

The president was expecting an alien encounter which may correlate back to what was found when UNS examined the AFOS near Mayan Island. 2059 is one year after the information gathered at Mayan Island became declassified, so it is conceivable that the Frontier president had an idea that they were entering alien space.

The SMS seems to have trained for this in their "Victor" program, but it appears most of the pilots didn't expect to hear the "Victor" command coming from the president.

Every statement is qualified as I've bolded.

"At least 5 decades" means that after a minimum of 50 years it can be released, correct? In a speculative statement one would hope to believe that the board members have enough intelligence to recognize that all comments made within that type of statement to be speculative. If some start splitting hairs over the minutia of every word then they need to get a second hobby... :rolleyes:

The point of the statement is simply to explain a possible reason why the President would be expecting an alien attack. Pretty basic really.

I don't understand why people have an argument about anime and planes "flying" in the space.

As already stated DYRL better displayed that there were attitude thrusters on the wing tips in the VF-1. However the VF-25 uses it's wings (at least in the Armored Pack) to support the additional bolt on combat weaponry. I suspect those points at the front of the wing roots are the mounting pegs for the FAST pack equipment. They may not be DEWs as we once suspected.

Btw. I don't belive that frontier city is any bigger then city 7. It is just that city 7 had high sky scrapers and frontier 7 is more urban and sub urban then tall city structures. Most people think it is big due to the small size of the ship in front of the city. It looks pretty small actualy. It is probably 2-400 meters wide. the docking mechanism is supposed to be 150 or so meters wide on city 7. It also does not look modular. they probably decided to not have the main battle fortress docked with the city when they created it.

The City ship is the same class as the City 7, however it seems much more urbanly dense than City 7. The Island Ships also have cities, but are more agrarian with forests and lakes, etc... There is a Battlefortress docked at the front as Radd points out, it is harder to see because its colors match that of the City Ship, unlike the bold white and blue of the Battle 7.

there's a definite and deliberate nod to MacII in the show. When that pilot ejects from the vf-25 and fires off his weapon at the bug, that little helmet thing pops up over his head, a'la macross II. I thought it was a nice touch. And yeah, the new FAST packs on the vf-25 give me macross II flashbacks as well.

I got the same Mac II vibe. However the FAST packs reminded more of Gundam armor packs than Mac II. If you are refering to the Metal Siren, then I agree the Armor Pack is similar.

No, I hadn't; sorry. I haven't been anywhere near a computer since the 22nd of December till late last night...I just now caught up on the 630 or so posts in this thread. I can only imagine what I've missed in the "part III" news thread. Thank you Azrael and Kresphy for pointing me in the right direction!

~~~

As for my thoughts on the special. I'm stoked about what I saw. I'm not as bothered by the transformation anymore. The character drawings aren't all that grand...but they work. From when we first heard about Macross Frontier I've always thought that the new series would somehow tie in with the APHOS; after watching the special I still believe the same. I guess only time will tell...I can't wait!!!

Edit: As for the Macross II vibe...the 'Red Space Monster' reminded me of the Gigamesh.

Edited by Oihan

For the record BTW.... the HD .MP4 Raw for the first episode includes the trailer for the second episode at the end of the episode, unlike the other version

-Sergorn

Which one? There are at least 2 HD Raws I've found.

Edit: As for the Macross II vibe...the 'Red Space Monster' reminded me of the Gigamesh.

The Gilgamesh on steroids maybe... :p

Edited by Zinjo

I wonder why he doesnt cut his hair? Also wonder if that charm around his neck (i think it is a charm rather than a necklace or dogtag) have some significance?

Yeah really!! But he should go all EMO soon enough, since the show is so layered in stereotypes, going bisexual and hitting brother and sister. :rolleyes:

I'm still freaked out by little inumimi girl.... <_<

The point of the statement is simply to explain a possible reason why the President would be expecting an alien attack. Pretty basic really.

Those who actually watched the episode pretty much figured out that there is something shadowy going on behind the scenes. That the APHOS left Earth explains NOTHING. That anyone knew of its existence, ON EARTH, explains nothing. Your reasoning and your conclusions do not make sense. At all.

If they were expecting an alien attack, I would assume it was because of THE NEAR TOTAL ANNIHILATION OF EARTH BY ALIENS. They know aliens are out there. They know the legacy left behind by the Protoculture. That they were expecting these specific creatures speaks to something else.

Edited by Duke Togo

As already stated DYRL better displayed that there were attitude thrusters on the wing tips in the VF-1. However the VF-25 uses it's wings (at least in the Armored Pack) to support the additional bolt on combat weaponry. I suspect those points at the front of the wing roots are the mounting pegs for the FAST pack equipment. They may not be DEWs as we once suspected.

All of the VFs in Macross Frontier have streamers on their wing tips.

To me, those streamers (presumably expelled reaction mass of some kind) are dual purpose thrusters used for propulsion and roll control.

They're still there.

Edited by l_e_m

Well whats there to say that hasn't already been said.

At least I can re watch it over and over until the series starts.

is there a link to something that describes what the time/space event in 1995 was?

Microsoft launched Windows 95 :p

Is it just me or has anyone thought how a VF-19 nose would look stuck to the front of a VF-17.

Now wheres those cheap Gashapons I have.

Edited by big F

So its gonna turn out he's a kid whose mad at his dad?

I wonder why he doesnt cut his hair? Also wonder if that charm around his neck (i think it is a charm rather than a necklace or dogtag) have some significance?

Well we haven't had a glimpse of his family yet and how he views them so we could only guess. I have a pretty good hunch that he'll cut his hair. When that happens, I'll dance a jig :D

Alto doesn't seem like he's mad at anyone. He comes across as a very confident young man, and a bit cocky. Cocky, but not careless. He is obsessed with flying, and really seems to care for little else.

But I don't see him as some angst ridden anime cliche.

But I don't see him as some angst ridden anime cliche.

When I watched it without subs I thought "Oh Jesus, here we go again." Now that I've seen it with subs his reactions seem more understandable. Still, he's far from likeable at this point. Aloof and obsessed but not to the extreme of my immediately hating him. All the princess jokes and saying he looks like a woman are... well... odd. There's definitely hope for him though and I don't think I ever felt that way for Basara.

Edited by jenius

Those who actually watched the episode pretty much figured out that there is something shadowy going on behind the scenes.

And your point would be???

That the APHOS left Earth explains NOTHING. That anyone knew of its existence, ON EARTH, explains nothing.

LOL, that's one way to simplify the events for mental digestion... :rolleyes:

However, the Mayan Island incident took place over the month of September of 2008. Spacy had possession of the body of the AFOS for more than a week at least, most likely longer. All that time it was examined and probed and investigated along with the information that Ares's team already had about the Protoculture to that date. No specifics were ever mentioned to anyone outside the research group. So in all that time all these learned minds could manage to do was watch the AFOS leave???? :blink: Pretty sad research team, if that is to be believed. The classification of the whole incident seems to be the most prudent action for Spacy and the UNG to do. The public didn't need to know how well equipped the AUN army was or that they encountered a terrifically powerful enemy craft in the Pacific.

Now if the classified information became available exactly 50 years after the incident in 2008, then why wouldn't officials in the UNG, including colony Presidents have access to the information? If they did, would it no also be prudent to take steps to prepare for any such encouter again, particularly with the near disasterous encounters that the Mac 5 & Mac 7 fleets had?

Oh wait I already know your answer..."explains NOTHING".... ^_^

Your reasoning and your conclusions do not make sense. At all.

I'm sorry you don't understand, but that doesn't dismiss my points.

If they were expecting an alien attack, I would assume it was because of THE NEAR TOTAL ANNIHILATION OF EARTH BY ALIENS. They know aliens are out there. They know the legacy left behind by the Protoculture.

That too is a possibility...

That they were expecting these specific creatures speaks to something else.

That hasn't been established. They were expecting something. "They" is a very non-descript word...

That hasn't been established. They were expecting something. "They" is a very non-descript word...

Wow, Zinjo, you're arguing the conclusions you've drawn off episode one a little too vehemently (still). You're just kind of spouting your own suppositions. Sure, you can defend them, they may not be baseless suppositions, but you're never going to prove anything. In the quote above though, "They" is not a very non-descript word, at least in it's common English usage. "They" denotes that you have some understanding. If it was just "something" then the word used would have been "something." This could be a translation issue though, maybe in Japanese there is no such pretense. Here's an example though. If someone were to pound on my door and I was expecting guests I would jump up and say "Oh, they're here." and go to the door. If I was not expecting guests I would say "Oh, someone is at the door." and then go to the door.

Yeah Alto really doesn't feel the Angzty type... he only gets mad when compared to a girl and seems rather likeable actually. Hardly the usual whiny and annoying anime hero.

-Sergorn

Alto does seem to be more human to me, unlike those gundam characters who have those unnatural emotional drama problems(my moms dead, My lover is dead,etc) -losers, god I hate them. But back to Alto, I think he has a piece of us in him, I mean He wants to be a valk pilot, and he is a under dog. I am not sure about you guys but 90% of the members here want to be a valk pilot, and I am pretty sure were all underdogs I know I am (Sigh) :mellow:

Anyone noticed that the Macross Galaxy fleet changes colour from green to purple on the opening secuence?

I wonder if it means something or it's just to differentiate both fleets...

post-1093-1198896990_thumb.jpg

Alto does seem to be more human to me, unlike those gundam characters who have those unnatural emotional drama problems(my moms dead, My lover is dead,etc) -losers, god I hate them. But back to Alto, I think he has a piece of us in him, I mean He wants to be a valk pilot, and he is a under dog. I am not sure about you guys but 90% of the members here want to be a valk pilot, and I am pretty sure were all underdogs I know I am (Sigh) :mellow:

Indeed. And I think it's always refreshing to have a hero who WANTS to pilot the mecha and fight.

-Elektrix

Sorry, this whole thing about Max & Millia faking their divorce smells like fanfic to me. I'm definitely calling BS on it.

Graham

Besides which, if such an extra existed, it'd be all over the internet, youtube, torrent, etc. More than B.S., I call shenanigans!

Agreed. That is mega bogus. Your friend took you for a ride.

forum is still up.

http://www.phunk-one.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=1903

i won't bother to quote myself, i'll just string together his quotes for those too lazy to check out the original thread.

in the uncut version....u see hikaru and misa behind stage while minmay is getting ready for her concert.....u also get to see hikaru and misa get married...like the wedding with everyone...well except focker...and whoever died...

ah...that could be it....not a lot of Macross torrents are from the original sources.....some of them (a while back before i got the real deals) are still japanese, but the cut versions....makes the story flow easier...if you watched the uncuts, it is gonna take u some time to understand the story, but it will explain a lot more....

i don't know about discount anime...their covers are totally different than the japanese ones...but the marriage one is also in the originals too...i've seen the robotech version and the macross version....there is a big difference just to let you know. robotech sucks to let you know first of all....but the difference is that during the wedding hikaru has flashbacks about all his buddies that died for the SDF and then misa cuts in and tells him that everything will be safe now and then they kiss...and another one is after the wedding, you see misa and hikaru boarding the SDF-2 (i think it was the 2)...this is the pre-prologue to Macross 7, during the credits.

The flashback 2012 one does have all the stuff in my original uncuts...except that flasback 2012 is on a different DVD...my Macross are all interconnected...meaning...when i slap in disc 1 i get the beginning credits right...then just all the episodes...until i get to the last episode then the ending credits....There is no breaks in it...just all connected, there is just a brief black flash on the screen to start the next episode...if u want I can ask my brother in law in Japan if they still sell these dvds.....the only problem would be to understand it......

damn that's cheap....i got mine from Japan for $700 (yes...that damn much...but i love this anime)..but on the bright side it was signed and came with 3 yamato Valkyrie planes....oh yea and the piece of paper saying that it was legit....try to see if u can find my version on the net, i haven't found it yet.....it mush be a Japan only thing again....but here is the title translated: "Macross: The SDF-1 Legacy"

i don't know about discount anime...their covers are totally different than the japanese ones...but the marriage one is also in the originals too...i've seen the robotech version and the macross version....there is a big difference just to let you know. robotech sucks to let you know first of all....but the difference is that during the wedding hikaru has flashbacks about all his buddies that died for the SDF and then misa cuts in and tells him that everything will be safe now and then they kiss...and another one is after the wedding, you see misa and hikaru boarding the SDF-2 (i think it was the 2)...this is the pre-prologue to Macross 7, during the credits.

hmmmm.....they are a really great couple, they fight better together and stuff....in the uncuts, u see a scene where they talk about going different ways to screw up the enemies tactics....If i remember right in my version, at the end they get back together and help drive the stake into the enemies heartland to open the way for the singing fighters to enter easier....

o well, so the animeigo dvd's won't have any new scenes for me to watch, i'll still get the dvd box set anyways ('cause macross is the xiet).

You ever have that friend in junior high that swore up and down that he had some rare Beta fighter toy in his basement that no one ever saw but he always told everyone about? And everyone always said he was full of BS? Yeah, that's what all that sounds like. :lol: